Little Falls vs. Virginia

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SCSUHOCKEYFAN15

Little Falls vs. Virginia

Post by SCSUHOCKEYFAN15 »

Well in the first game of the year the Flyers beat Virginia 1-0 in Virginia. Obviously a lot has changed since then. This should be a very close game. Neither team will be fearful of the other.

What is going to happen?
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

I hope they come out strong and win by at least 3 goals, proving to the state they really are the best.
mnwild09

Post by mnwild09 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:I hope they come out strong and win by at least 3 goals, proving to the state they really are the best.
This would certainly be nice. Virginia (although I don't know this first hand unfortunately) seems to be an excellent team. Sure the game was the first of the season and months ago, but it was clearly one of the closest games LF had all year. I would very very much like for Little Falls to take this game handily and shut everyone up about their weak schedule. This is a Section winning team who Little Falls has already beat (weak schedule huh?) but after the last two games of the section playoffs people seem to be jumping all over LF about how they are overrated and aren't as good as their record and hype say they are.

I'm sick of people saying LF gets lucky. For that matter it annoys me when someone says ANY team gets lucky. If LF is so lucky why didn't they draw hutch first round? :P

Regardless, LF needs a convincing win here to shut the critics up. I'm sure even if they win the championship there will still be naysayers out there about this team, but at least let a few of them bite their tongue for now.

LF 3-1
Northhcky

Post by Northhcky »

HShockeywatcher wrote:I hope they come out strong and win by at least 3 goals, proving to the state they really are the best.
How would they be the "BEST" by beating unseeded virginia by 3 goals in the quarter finals? Don't you have to win 3 games to claim to be the "BEST"? :roll:
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Okay, change my words to something like "proving they can be the best" or something like that.

I would argue that all of the teams 1-7 could've gone seeded almost anyway, with Little Falls the clear favorite. Mahtomedi beat Breck, Lourdes beat Cathedral, Virginia only lost to the #1 seeded team by 1 goal. There is only one team out there who would be not smart to bet on.

It was Virginia 2nd game of the season when they lost to Little Falls by a goal. Since playing Virginia, Little Falls has played 2 top A teams in 3 games, all 1 goal victories. Since their meeting Virginia has played 4 top A teams in 8 games and one top AA team going 6-3. Virginia is much more prepared for this game.

No, beating Virginia won't prove they are the #1 team and it won't add another team to the list of teams they've beaten, but if they can beat Virginia handily it will show they've improve throughout the season and are capable of beating up on quality teams.
SCSUHOCKEYFAN15

Post by SCSUHOCKEYFAN15 »

What is all this talk about LF winning big over Virginia? I just hope they WIN period! Virginia is a very good DEEP team. This time of year it is not about how you win rather that you just win!! I don't care if we win 1-0 again or 8-7 just as long as we win. Give some respect to Virginia they are a very solid club and it will be a nail bitter. So lets drop the talk of beating them big.
PhilRudd

Post by PhilRudd »

The Flyers have a nice team with one great player. They will skate primarily two lines with the third getting a few shifts here and there. Their defense is solid with 4 experienced seniors in front of the goalie, Sperl who has some solid stats this year. They have the ability to strike quickly and often and this year have the D to back up the O.

Virginia is a hard-working team that appears to skate 4 lines throughout the game. This may be to their favor in this latter part of the year. No stars or difference makers on this club. Folks will point to their schedule as "tough", but the IRC is no longer an elite conference. They are playing well as of late and may be peaking @ the right time.

Difference maker in this one is Hanowski. If he gets free, he doesn't miss from in close. Flyers 5 Devils 3.

PR 8)
HSH1212

Post by HSH1212 »

Little Falls will have no problem beating Virginia, bearing they stay out of the box. The Virginia powerplay is top notch, and if they get on the powerplay enough, they WILL beat Little Falls. That said, I take Little Falls 4-1.
The Vet

Post by The Vet »

I have had the pleasure of seeing LF a couple games before playoffs and i also had the pleasure of watching Virginia's section final. After saying that i was very disappointed in Virginia, they run no systems in the offensive zone or the neutral zone. I will agree with their power play, if it wasn't for their pp that game might still be going on.

For LF they looked very solid in the games i have seen this year. Ben doesn't just score goals, he is an excellent set up man and will find hirsch and waytashek. Their defensive sets are very strong and if sperl is on his game they are even better. If LF stays out of the box they have this game wrapped up, if not i'm kinda worried.

I'm also anxious to see Moll and #15 for Virginia get on the ice together, because they are both hacks.

LF 5
Virginia 2
gophers101

Post by gophers101 »

Now rememeber a couple years back when Virginia has Niskanen and all these other guys and Virginia paraded them out of town as it was there first trip. They were supposed to be this team that could compete for a title. They went two and out. Little Falls despite almost losing to Alex is still the favorite in this game. Virginia has good goaltending and some depth but in the state tourney the devils 3rd and 4th lines will not be able to hold up LF 1st or 2nd lines. If Virginia wants to keep it close that can't roll 4 lines the entire game being LF has the last switch. Put Hanowski's line out against a 3rd or 4th line and it will be a long day. I think Virginia can compete but I don't think they'll win.

LF-4
Devils-2
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

FROM EARLIER THIS SEASON (For those of you who don't already know):

December 5, 2008

Little Falls 1, Virginia / Mountain Iron - Buhl 0

Miner's Memorial Building, Virginia -- In a penalty filled affair, the only goal of the game came shorthanded in the first period on an unassisted shot by Riley Hirsch as Little Falls snuck past Virginia/Mt. Iron-Buhl. Niether team could muster a powerplay goal despite a combined total of 18 powerplay chances. Will Lustig stopped 26 shots for Virginia/MI-B. Michael Sperl stopped 25 to earn the shutout for the Flyers.

Virginia/Mountain Iron-Buhl 0-0-0=0
Little Falls 1-0-0=1

First Period - 1. Little Falls, Riley Hirsch (Unassisted), 13:08 (SH).

Second Period - No Scoring.

Third Period - No Scoring.

Saves - Will Lustig, Virginia/Mountain Iron-Buhl, 7-9-10=26; Michael Sperl, Little Falls, 5-8-12=25.

Powerplays - Virginia/Mountain Iron-Buhl: 0/8, Little Falls: 0/10.

Image This summary provided by www.PrepHockeyNorth.com.
shins

Post by shins »

This should be a great game..... Seeing little bits of Virginia over the past 3 years I will assume that how tight the officials call this game will go a long way in determining the score.

I don't get all the talk of making a statement or proving something by the score...... this is the STATE TOURNAMENT folks, a win is a win is a win.

I will take the Flyers 4-2

Over-Under on Westin dives or embellishments 2.5
gophers101

Post by gophers101 »

shins wrote:This should be a great game..... Seeing little bits of Virginia over the past 3 years I will assume that how tight the officials call this game will go a long way in determining the score.

I don't get all the talk of making a statement or proving something by the score...... this is the STATE TOURNAMENT folks, a win is a win is a win.

I'm definately taking the over!
bigeater3

Post by bigeater3 »

virginia 3-2
HSH1212

Post by HSH1212 »

shins wrote:This should be a great game..... Seeing little bits of Virginia over the past 3 years I will assume that how tight the officials call this game will go a long way in determining the score.

Westin will be bringing his case of the dives to state, no question!
xavieriser

Post by xavieriser »

I take the Flyers 3-2 over Blue Devils in OT. Little Falls needs to play 3 periods, something they don't really do at State or even in the regular season at times. I say score early and rest the 1st line in the 3rd and take it to OT. And LF NEEDS to stay out of the box.

Will be the best first round game and whoever comes out alive will be my favorite to win.
GO FLYERS!
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

Virginia 4
Little Falls 3
HOUNDS
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Little Falls- 4
Virginia- 2
mainefan

Post by mainefan »

Virginia has vastly improved since the first meeting with Little Falls. It is going to an awsome game. Best of luck to both teams.

And for you bitter Hibbing fans out there. Get it together and support a fellow range team. I would be supporting Hibbing if they made the trip.
hshckfan08

Post by hshckfan08 »

This will be a great game. If little falls isnt ready to play, virginia can get up on you fast. Dont forget about virginia's scorers either, westin and hendrickson both put up monster numbers in the regular season.

LF will come from behind to win 3-2
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

If Virginia wins this game I think they will win it all.
A team like LF is a tough first round draw.
Virginia 4
LF 3
backrinkrat

Post by backrinkrat »

The winner of this game will be the state champ. Little Falls don't look past the Devils, although your season speaks for itself congratulations!Unfortunately the regular season means nothing now. If the Devils net minder shuts down the Little Falls top line the game will go in the Devils direction.Both these squads have something to prove to the critics. I have to say the pressure will be on Little Falls.

Devils win 4-1
fromdanorth

Post by fromdanorth »

If I was a Little Falls Fan, I would be worried to see Virginia in the first game, Virginia is peaking at the right time and historically have done well against them, Virginia has everything to gain and will have the mental edge in this game, and physically they will be in this game running 4 lines with their young players stepping up.

This is a BAD draw for the Flyers :P
defense

Post by defense »

fromdanorth wrote:If I was a Little Falls Fan, I would be worried to see Virginia in the first game, Virginia is peaking at the right time and historically have done well against them, Virginia has everything to gain and will have the mental edge in this game, and physically they will be in this game running 4 lines with their young players stepping up.

This is a BAD draw for the Flyers :P
Interesting that Virginia should have the mental edge, I though they lost their game with Little Falls...
fan4life

Post by fan4life »

i've said it before these match ups came up and i'll say it again: Virginia is going to be a huge adversary in the first round. I think LF has what it takes to beat them but they need to play clean, consistent hockey for 51 minutes.

The rest will take care of itself.

LF 3-1 (EN)