Mahtomedi (20-6-2) @ Cathedral (25-2-1) 3-11-09

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who advances to the semifinals?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:06 am

St Cloud Cathedral Crusaders
51%
Mahtomedi Zephyrs
49%

Total votes: 67

hockeyOAF

Post by hockeyOAF »

I picked SCC 5-2 over Htown in the section finals, sorry I under estimated the D.
This one is 4-1 SCC.
Wanna see a re-match with Warroad, if they can get past awesome Hutch.
SCC also 4-2 over Warroad.
HasNoMoves

Post by HasNoMoves »

hockeyOAF wrote:I picked SCC 5-2 over Htown in the section finals, sorry I under estimated the D.
This one is 4-1 SCC.
Wanna see a re-match with Warroad, if they can get past awesome Hutch.
SCC also 4-2 over Warroad.
good call, i would agree...will be tough for ANY team to beat SCC this week because of their speed and surperior defense. I am picking SCC to win it all.
FlyerFan12

Post by FlyerFan12 »

Mahtomedi 3
SCC 2
haas32

Post by haas32 »

scc will probably go down in quarter finals! Saw them play in LF, not impressed!
SCC2009

Post by SCC2009 »

haas32 wrote:scc will probably go down in quarter finals! Saw them play in LF, not impressed!
yeah, Lf was really impressive getting taken into OT by a team in the section final that woudl not have been seeded at state...LF is overrated!
thewanderer103

Post by thewanderer103 »

So you saw them play 3 months ago? Interesting analysis.
haas32

Post by haas32 »

HasNoMoves wrote:yes, interesting how its better to be the 3 seed than the 2 seed....4 seed will have to contend with LF, but i think they are over rated and willnot win state now that they have to play 2 good teams back to back to win a championship
to bad they already beat scc one time and you probably wont make it to the finals to get the shot at beating them!
haas32

Post by haas32 »

SCC2009 wrote:
haas32 wrote:scc will probably go down in quarter finals! Saw them play in LF, not impressed!
yeah, Lf was really impressive getting taken into OT by a team in the section final that woudl not have been seeded at state...LF is overrated!
Alex would have possibly won the state A title, that's how good they can be! Anyone that thought LF was lucky that night is a joker cause alex is a legit top 10 in class A. Everyone knew it was going to be a close game! If LF lost Alex would be a great Rep from 6A!
USHLTender

Post by USHLTender »

Theres no way Alex would have even had a chance at winning the class a title, they are a decent team, but thats it.
2pipesnin

Post by 2pipesnin »

USHL (tender I doubt) Alex is a very good team. They could have easily beat LF if they would have capitalized on a few missed opportunities. Alex had the puck behind Sperl 3 times and were not able to poke it in in the 3rd period. Alex had CHS down by two goals this year and CHS tied it up with less them two mns to play to take it into over time and won. LF's took CHS into overtime this year and won. Sometimes it's the best team "that day" that wins the game, no necessarily the best team. Alex is a very quick team and would have done fine at the Excel.
SCC2009

Post by SCC2009 »

2pipesnin wrote:USHL (tender I doubt) Alex is a very good team. They could have easily beat LF if they would have capitalized on a few missed opportunities. Alex had the puck behind Sperl 3 times and were not able to poke it in in the 3rd period. Alex had CHS down by two goals this year and CHS tied it up with less them two mns to play to take it into over time and won. LF's took CHS into overtime this year and won. Sometimes it's the best team "that day" that wins the game, no necessarily the best team. Alex is a very quick team and would have done fine at the Excel.
Yes, Alex would have done just fine in the state tourney, they were a quick team, I was disspointed they didn't capitalize against LF because they certainly outplayed them in the 3rd period and LF was very fortunate to come away with a win. LF will have their hands full, I would love to see them against SCC in the championship, but i don't see LF getting past both virginia and Breck should breck also win...there will be 1 loss in LF's first two games at the X.
MNHockeyDieHard

Post by MNHockeyDieHard »

Kinda funny how this thread got switched from talking about one game to ragging on LF. By the way, I think people forget how well LF played STA in last year's tourney. I thought they gave STA their toughest game. I think LF is a better team this year. They will be a tough out for anybody and are not overrated.

Congratulations to Maht for taking down STA but they definitely got a tough draw. This game is a great way to start off the tourney.

SCC 3
Maht 2
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

warriors41 wrote:If Mahtomedis goalie plays like he did against STA they will win.
True but I think this is where it ends. I wanna see Mahtomedi win but I believe they're defense won't hold up. They have been playing well as of late but looking through their schedule it is littered with four goal games. With their first time at the X and an opponent like this they should get handled, but SCC doesn't have an overly impressive offense which should make this close. I think SCC wins, but go Mahtomedi.
adamp1914

Post by adamp1914 »

I've filled out my bracket, and in the first round, I only have one seeded team losing in class A. This is the game I've chosen that to happen in. Mahtomedi has tons of momentum coming in with a huge win over STA. This is going to be one of the better games in the tournament.

Too bad they don't seed all 8 teams.. seeding 4 with a random draw is kinda strange, because as long as you get seeded, it doesn't matter at all if your first or fourth.
hockeyOAF

Post by hockeyOAF »

SCC has no offense huh?
Well granted when they are up and winning the coach is classy and plays everyone, even if that means giving up some goals and not scoring as many. Here are the regulart season goals for and against for all the teams in the A tourney. Based on this Mahtomedi is in trouble, but I AM smarter than to believe these stats are anything more than numbers, but LF's and others DO run their scores up a bit more than some teams. The stats wouls tell me all the teams are well matched with the exceptions of Hutch, and yes Mahtomedi.

goals for goals against Goal differential
SCC 127 38 89
LFALLS 165 38 127
Breck 147 34 113
Mahtomedi 117 75 42
Warroad 128 40 88
Lourdes 138 52 86
Virginia 142 50 92
Hutchinson 110 67 43

Two teams stand out in goal differential Breck and LFalls (run it up)
Two other teams also standout Hutch and Mahtomedi
The other 4 are bunched up, make oof it what you want, these are the facts...
I'll take SCC over Mahtomedi, Mahtomedi beats Hutch in the consolation semis, then loses the consolation championship game.
soaker12

Post by soaker12 »

hockeyOAF wrote:SCC has no offense huh?
Well granted when they are up and winning the coach is classy and plays everyone, even if that means giving up some goals and not scoring as many. Here are the regulart season goals for and against for all the teams in the A tourney. Based on this Mahtomedi is in trouble, but I AM smarter than to believe these stats are anything more than numbers, but LF's and others DO run their scores up a bit more than some teams. The stats wouls tell me all the teams are well matched with the exceptions of Hutch, and yes Mahtomedi.

goals for goals against Goal differential
SCC 127 38 89
LFALLS 165 38 127
Breck 147 34 113
Mahtomedi 117 75 42
Warroad 128 40 88
Lourdes 138 52 86
Virginia 142 50 92
Hutchinson 110 67 43

Two teams stand out in goal differential Breck and LFalls (run it up)
Two other teams also standout Hutch and Mahtomedi
The other 4 are bunched up, make oof it what you want, these are the facts...
I'll take SCC over Mahtomedi, Mahtomedi beats Hutch in the consolation semis, then loses the consolation championship game.
Mahtomedi's schedule is also littered with opponents like St. Thomas Academy, Breck, Hill Murray, Maple Grove etc etc, with victories over every one of those teams. Breck's goal differential is much better than Mahtomedi, yet Maht won 3 - 1. Valid argument of course, but the other teams besides perhaps Breck and maybe Virginia didn't face the amount of talent Mahtomedi did on a weekly basis.
darkdemon

Post by darkdemon »

theblandyman wrote:
I have a girlfriend...she lets me get away with a lot.

Saw 12 high school games (11 in person, one on MyFoxHockey) between Friday Feb. 27th and Yesterday...

I think Cathedral is the better team but Mahtomedi is a very quick club that creates a lot of chances with their speed. It's hard to know how a teams offense will do as most solid offenses (Warroad, Hermantown, etc..) definitely have been limited by SCC's D.

IMO, Mahtomedi is the best unranked team from what I've seen...
How many of those games were you getting paid to watch blandy?
The DEMON
theblandyman

Post by theblandyman »

darkdemon wrote:
theblandyman wrote:
I have a girlfriend...she lets me get away with a lot.

Saw 12 high school games (11 in person, one on MyFoxHockey) between Friday Feb. 27th and Yesterday...

I think Cathedral is the better team but Mahtomedi is a very quick club that creates a lot of chances with their speed. It's hard to know how a teams offense will do as most solid offenses (Warroad, Hermantown, etc..) definitely have been limited by SCC's D.

IMO, Mahtomedi is the best unranked team from what I've seen...
How many of those games were you getting paid to watch blandy?
Goose egg!
DotaDangler

Post by DotaDangler »

After seeing the Section final between Mahtomedi and STA, I'm surprised no one has mentioned just how much bigger of a team Maht was than STA. It looked like they just outmuscled them for much of the game. How will Cathedral compare. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Imagine a world...with no Wisconsin
wheels

Post by wheels »

What kind of team depth does SCC have. Do they have 3 good lines?

What kind of game do they play?
USHLTender

Post by USHLTender »

2pipesnin wrote:USHL (tender I doubt) Alex is a very good team. They could have easily beat LF if they would have capitalized on a few missed opportunities. Alex had the puck behind Sperl 3 times and were not able to poke it in in the 3rd period. Alex had CHS down by two goals this year and CHS tied it up with less them two mns to play to take it into over time and won. LF's took CHS into overtime this year and won. Sometimes it's the best team "that day" that wins the game, no necessarily the best team. Alex is a very quick team and would have done fine at the Excel.
Wow thank you for your oh so brilliant observations. As you will see I wrote that Alex is a good team. I guess Little Falls just had a "good day" x 3 against them. I actually am not a Little Falls fan or an Alex Fan, but your right, Alex got screwed, they would have easily ran the table down at the X, I mean Breck would have been a cupcake game for your Cardinals.
hockeyOAF

Post by hockeyOAF »

Mahtomedi outmuscled STA? Must have watched a different game. This was like a no contact Squirt game by SCC's standards. The Zeph's will get manhandled by SCC's big/physical D. SCC has 2 outstanding lines and a very good 3rd line that can score. The D has 4 solid guys that can really play and the #5 D is huge and plays smart. #6 D man can go offense or D, he'll be a top D next year. It should be an interesting game.
2pipesnin

Post by 2pipesnin »

USHL for the record, I am not a Alex fan nor a FL's fan. I was just at the game watching a hockey game. It was obvious that Alex had a few more good scoring chances then LF. When you get down to the X anything can happen. There will be no cupcake games for any team. Except maybe Warroad first round.

Good day!
adamp1914

Post by adamp1914 »

dangler.

I haven't seen SCC play this year, but from what I understand, they are a big and strong team that plays extremely physical and probably has one of the better defensive units in the tournament.

Their defense will do fine against Mahtomedi, but Mahtomedi's defense will also do fine against SCC's offense. I expect this to be a low scoring, very close game.

Soaker beat me to the punch with referencing the team's schedules when looking at goal differential. That stat doesn't meant much. Breck outscored conference opponents by what, 117 - 10? They play teams like providence, SPA, Minnehaha, St. Paul Saints, Blake (who wasn't very good this year). That stat doesn't say that much.

Mahtomedi played Breck, Hill Murray, St. Thomas, etc.
drop the puck

Post by drop the puck »

It was Mahtomedi's goalie that put them in the state tournament. He has allowed 5 goals in the past 5 games and recorded 48 saves in the Section Final game against STA. The only goal he gave up that night was largely the coach's fault. A Maht player was exiting the penalty box and skated to the bench adding an additional 5 seconds to the STA powerplay. The goal was set up by the cadet defenseman that was just 10 steps away from the Maht player leaving the box? The goalie and the players on the ice getting the (-) can thank coach for that decision.

I believe the goalie is a Mahtomedi kid who played his freshman year at Hill and then returned to Mahtomedi High School last year.

I watched the first two periods before running off to the Hill-Stillwater AA section final game and all I can say is STA was NOT out played nor out muscled. The cadet forwards can put shots on net from anywhere inside the blueline.

If the Maht goalie continues on this pace if does not matter much what SCC does as long as Maht forwards can put one or two in the net.