Select 17s

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hockeywatcher123

Select 17s

Post by Hockeywatcher123 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:49 pm

I know it's still very early but who do you guys think is most likely to make the final 20?

my2cents

Post by my2cents » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:10 am

Off the top of my flat head...

Ben Marshall
Nick Bjugstad
Jordan Palusky
Joey Bennik
Cal Decowski
Christian Isaakson
Mitch Rogge
Jason Clark
AJ Reid
D Forbert
C Faupel
Adam Robson
Adam Knockenmaus
Adam Wilcox (goalie)
Shea something (Eagan goalie)
Garrett Hendrickson
Kyle Rau
Tim(?) Bonner
dude from moorhead

I apologize for mispelled and forgotten names

hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:44 am

my2cents wrote:Off the top of my flat head...

Ben Marshall
Nick Bjugstad
Jordan Palusky
Joey Bennik
Cal Decowski
Christian Isaakson
Mitch Rogge
Jason Clark
AJ Reid
D Forbert
C Faupel
Adam Robson
Adam Knockenmaus
Adam Wilcox (goalie)
Garrett Hendrickson
Kyle Rau
Tim(?) Bonner
dude from moorhead

Ryan O'Shea- Eastview

pucknutz

Re: Select 17s

Post by pucknutz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:11 pm

Hockeywatcher123 wrote:I know it's still very early but who do you guys think is most likely to make the final 20?
same ones that made it last year, am
nd the year before...not much mystery.

LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:24 pm

Brett Stern D Centennial...I believe he made the final 20 last year for 16's, and Andrew Pitts D North Metro as well

gopher1

Post by gopher1 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:42 pm

Section 1, select 17 has been selected. Oh wait, most of the Elite 2 section 1 fall team was chosen by the head coach of the Elite team and how ironic that he is the Select 17 Section 1 coach. Ummmm not quite sure how that works. Approx 13 players from the Elite 2 team made the Select team. Not much room for other players to make the team. Those 13, plus the 3 from Owatonna, Gen Manager for Section 1 is from Owatonna. That make 16 players and no room for others.

There were some kids missing from each of the sessions and they made the team. There were 3 sessions and the players that didn't get invited back for session 3, didn't get there allotted ice time of 4 hours that is offered by Minnesota Hockey guidelines.

I know the team is now chosen and their is nothing that can be done. But what a racket that these 2 men that are in charge of this section did. I thought that I would let others know that the process wasn't fair in Section 1.

Nonamer

Post by Nonamer » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Don't forget to include the coaches kids that you know will make the rosters - while lots of exposure to key scouts is always a worthwhile venture, team selection in this program is a laugher, at best.

Unless your dad is a hockey coach...
Last edited by Nonamer on Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edger

Post by Edger » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Amazing that this continues to happen.
Totally know where you're coming from, gopher1.
Frustrating as hell.
The no-shows with the free rides is disheartening and unfair.
We've been complaining about it for years and years and nothing changes.

Good Will Hunting

Select Teams

Post by Good Will Hunting » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:36 am

Do they publish the rosters for these teams when complete? If so, does anyone kow where to find them? Thanks

Sioux Fan

SECTION 1 Advance 17's 2009

Post by Sioux Fan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:04 am

Goaltenders
Nick Heimer Rochester Lourdes
Aaron Dooley Austin

Forwards
Darren Lapic New Prague
JP Lafontaine Shattuck Prep
Jason Clark Shattuck Midget
Matt Snorek Owatonna
Travis Seuer Lakeville South
Justin Parizek Lakeville South
Brandyn Chezick Rochester Lourdes
Dan Billiar Mankato East
Jared Docken Northfield
Cole Larson Owatonna
Logan Pirkl Owatonna
Drew Weber Mankato West

Defense

Rory Vesel Rochester Lourdes
Connor Faupel Rochester Century
Nick Murray Faribault
Matt Campbell Mankato West
Drew Brevig Lakeville South
Sam Olson New Prague

Good Group.. I like a lot of the progress these kids have made and I
hope they show it in Plymouth next weekend.

Guys that had good camps and just missed
Brad McIntosh Waseca F/D
Nate Jose Mankato West F/D
Nick Raehsler Rochester Century D
Chad Mundy Dodge County D
Matt Roth Rochester Lourdes D

any of these guys would have done a great job..

Obviously Defense was a thick position.

I do want to point out that one of our very best forwards on
Elite II was on vacation in Florida and could not participate.

Sean Lipinski Faribault is a very good player.

I would have loved to have them all.
It was a good up tempo session yesterday.
Last edited by Sioux Fan on Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fighting Sioux Forever

davey

Post by davey » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:52 pm

gopher1 wrote:Section 1, select 17 has been selected. Oh wait, most of the Elite 2 section 1 fall team was chosen by the head coach of the Elite team and how ironic that he is the Select 17 Section 1 coach. Ummmm not quite sure how that works. Approx 13 players from the Elite 2 team made the Select team. Not much room for other players to make the team. Those 13, plus the 3 from Owatonna, Gen Manager for Section 1 is from Owatonna. That make 16 players and no room for others.

There were some kids missing from each of the sessions and they made the team. There were 3 sessions and the players that didn't get invited back for session 3, didn't get there allotted ice time of 4 hours that is offered by Minnesota Hockey guidelines.

I know the team is now chosen and their is nothing that can be done. But what a racket that these 2 men that are in charge of this section did. I thought that I would let others know that the process wasn't fair in Section 1.
From the looks of the group posted by Sioux Fan, it looks like a pretty solid group. Gopherfan, who did not make it who you think should have. Every section takes into account what the kids did in the regular HS season.

gopher1

Post by gopher1 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:45 pm

davey wrote:
gopher1 wrote:Section 1, select 17 has been selected. Oh wait, most of the Elite 2 section 1 fall team was chosen by the head coach of the Elite team and how ironic that he is the Select 17 Section 1 coach. Ummmm not quite sure how that works. Approx 13 players from the Elite 2 team made the Select team. Not much room for other players to make the team. Those 13, plus the 3 from Owatonna, Gen Manager for Section 1 is from Owatonna. That make 16 players and no room for others.

From the looks of the group posted by Sioux Fan, it looks like a pretty solid group. Gopherfan, who did not make it who you think should have. Every section takes into account what the kids did in the regular HS season.
Davey,

It's not about the team that he posted, the original statement was that most of the kids that made Select 17's played on his Fall Elite 2 team. And the G/M(Coach) is from Owatonna and 3 of his players made the team.

It seems that it's ironic that several players made it from his team from the fall. It was a good, tough tryout and many players could have made it. But when you have that many from Souix Fan's fall team, it's not fair that 16 of 20 players he and the GM has contact with. Along with some of the players missing a session and still making the team.

MnPride2

Post by MnPride2 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:00 pm

Quick question...goalies main job is what...?

jacks hockey

Post by jacks hockey » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:37 pm

here is the roster for 8a/aaAdvanced 17 Team

Zane Gothberg - Adam Knochenmus

Alexander Lyon- Joncarlo Westerlund

Taylor Hedlund- Brett Hebel

Mark Bittner- Nick Stoskopf

Kevin Larson- Shane Omdahl

Joey Olson- Quinn Buckellew

Matthew Audette- James Hazelton

Buzz Tryggeseth- Lucas Phillips

Ben Doda- Josh Archibald

Jobe Peterson- Morgan Terpstra

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:12 pm

A few from Sec. 7 :

John Skrbec - F - Grand Rapids
Dom DeGuiseppi - G - Grand Rapids
A.J. Merritt - D - Grand Rapids
Matt Youso - D - I Falls
Derek Forbort - D - Duluth East
Joey Benik - F - St. Francis
Andy Benik - G - St. Francis
Garret Hendrickson - F - Virginia

Bunch more obviously, but don't know them all.
Character is who you are when no one is watching

HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:55 pm

Ben Marshall
Nick Bjugstad
Jordan Palusky
Joey Bennik
Cal Decowski
Christian Isaakson
Mitch Rogge
Jason Clark
AJ Reid
D Forbert
C Faupel
Adam Robson
Adam Knockenmaus
Adam Wilcox (goalie)
Garrett Hendrickson
Kyle Rau
Tim(?) Bonner
dude from moorhead

Rau is a sophomore so he would be select 16's.
EP two out of three.

Papa Bergundy

Post by Papa Bergundy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:07 pm

HockeyMN1 wrote:

Ben Marshall
Nick Bjugstad
Jordan Palusky
Joey Bennik
Cal Decowski
Christian Isaakson
Mitch Rogge
Jason Clark
AJ Reid
D Forbert
C Faupel
Adam Robson
Adam Knockenmaus
Adam Wilcox (goalie)
Garrett Hendrickson
Kyle Rau
Tim(?) Bonner
dude from moorhead

Rau is a sophomore so he would be select 16's.
Rau is a 92 so he's a 17. It's by birth year not grade.
Stay Classy, Minnesota.

davey

Post by davey » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:05 pm

gopher1 wrote:
davey wrote:

Davey,

It's not about the team that he posted, the original statement was that most of the kids that made Select 17's played on his Fall Elite 2 team. And the G/M(Coach) is from Owatonna and 3 of his players made the team.

It seems that it's ironic that several players made it from his team from the fall. It was a good, tough tryout and many players could have made it. But when you have that many from Souix Fan's fall team, it's not fair that 16 of 20 players he and the GM has contact with. Along with some of the players missing a session and still making the team.
Maybe the best kids tried out for the Elite 2 team also. I have found that the kids that work the hardest and put in the most time working on their games are the kids that usually get selected. Kids have missed a session in the past also and still made the team. That is why they have multiple sessions. I am sure that they are multiple kids that came very close to making the team and didn't and this leads to disappointment. Maybe those that didn't make the team should call the coach and find out why and what they need to work on.

universaldegreaser

Post by universaldegreaser » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:45 pm

Maybe those kids that played Elite II gained from their experience. It would be hard not to. Sioux Fan does a great job.

pondyplayer93

Post by pondyplayer93 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:53 pm

dont act surprised every level of advanced is political
Hill-Murray
St. Thomas
2008 Champs

JUGlover

Post by JUGlover » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:29 am

advanced 16's and 17's are a joke Matt Ray did not even make the team. last i checked he qualified for the national camp for the past two years. ...dont even say that it is based on the actual tryout beacuse i know it cant be.

oldtimehockey77

Post by oldtimehockey77 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:53 pm

I checked Matt Rays stats at the select 16 national developmet camp last year. He was ranked 23rd out of 24 goalies with a .832 SV% and a 6.45 GAA, not very good. Kid gets alot of hype. Maybe it's time to give someone else a chance this year.

steelheader

Post by steelheader » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:00 pm

I think Benik made it as a goalie. They must take 2 from the section though, right?

notorious17

Post by notorious17 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:14 pm

What's a "Matt Ray"? :wink:
|B|Unique and Co.

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:39 pm

steelheader wrote:I think Benik made it as a goalie. They must take 2 from the section though, right?
Dom DeGuiseppi from Grand Rapids is the other one.
Character is who you are when no one is watching