section 7a 09-10

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win 7A?

Virginia
32%
Marshall
20%
Hibbing
7%
I Falls
26%
Greenway
1%
Cental
3%
Silver Bay
3%
Two Harbors
7%
Eveleth
3%

Total votes: 76

21FROMTHEBAY

section 7a 09-10

Post by 21FROMTHEBAY » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:48 am

who looks good in 7A?
i know virginia and marshall should be pretty good but any others hibbing maybe?

7A22A

Post by 7A22A » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:03 pm

Looks like someone thinks 2 Harbors has some firepower coming back even with losing their top scorer. :?

matthebat

Post by matthebat » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:30 pm

Eveleth?

PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:02 am

It's a bit premature, but I'll take a shot at it. Obviously, things can change over the summer, but for now here's how I see it:

Favorite:
Virginia
- Losing top scorer Chris Westin and 3 year starting goalie Will Lustig, along with two defensemen and two other forwards. However, Andy Milbridge is a very capable replacement in goal and has some varsity experience. With Garrett Hendrickson, Travis Eddy, Jordan Krebsbach, Andrew and Wes Judnick all returning (amongst others), there is no shortage of talent. Sixteen players return from the state tournament team - almost all of them were regular contributors. The Blue Devils have to be the preseason favorite next year, hands down.

Challenger:
International Falls
- Losing a very good senior class including the likes of Jace Baldwin, Daniel Eldien, Jacob Casareto, Josh Leinum, and Jake Ruelle - all of which had more than 23 points last season. However, with leading scorer (as a defenseman) Will Corrin returning, along with his partner Matt Youso and a very large senior class (11) - six of which were in double digits in points last season, the Broncos will still maintain a very healthy offense and defense. Both goaltenders will also be back along with sophomore forward Micheal Bounds. They are the only team that comes close to bringing back the level of experience that Virginia has. This team will compete for the 7A title.

Dark Horses:
Hibbing
- Losing Aaron Jamnick and Ryan Hanegmon, who were pretty much the entire offense last season. With no Jamnick's waiting in the wings, next years team may be very offensively challenged. Also gone are forwards Ryan Olds and Marcus Bugiosi, leaving only four players returning that had more than 5 points last year - and none scored more than 9 goals. They are also losing 3 regular defensemen in Drew Vechell, Aaron Wagner, and Jake McConkey. Only Eric Laliberte will return on the blue line with varsity experience. One plus is that Nathan Tromp will return in goal. While the Jackets will still be competetive, this might be the year the streak of 7 consecutive section championship games comes to an end. Probably will be competing with Duluth Marshall for the #3/#4 seed.

Duluth Marshall
- Lost 3 year starting goalie Willie Paul, top defenseman Derek Stauber, and their top 3 forwards (Zach Mausolf, Pat Mahoney, and Joe Kozlak). Only returning one player (Dane Morin) with more than 10 goals. Max Elstad returns to with some experience in goal and Matt Morsette will also be back, but still there will only be 5 or 6 seniors on next year's team. The Hilltoppers will compete, but probably won't be at quite the level of the top two.

... Don't see the rest seriously challenging at this time.

justwatchin

Two Harbors

Post by justwatchin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:15 pm

TH has Jr. forward Comrie returning, Soph. Ben Ruberg and Fr.Alex Anderson and Sean Graden. and net minder Aaron Lee. They would be the most seasoned of the team and the foundation.

TH has a young team. based on the youth hockey numbers and the kids that are moving up the ranks...TH may surprise many and be competitive in a few years. Right now skipping a Bantam program due to low numbers is not helping, and lack of dedication and commitment from some of it's players showed the last couple of seasons. The team has had no depth.

TH has some talented/skilled players that are dedicated to the game, and I see positive things to come. Keep Watchin! :wink:

The team was fortunate to keep Eckman in their program, that's dedication to a team right there!

PuckRanger

Re: Two Harbors

Post by PuckRanger » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:03 pm

justwatchin wrote:The team was fortunate to keep Eckman in their program, that's dedication to a team right there!
I agree. Its good to see players like that staying home!

21FROMTHEBAY

Post by 21FROMTHEBAY » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:07 am

i don't see two harbors contending for a few years and the same for eveleth

21FROMTHEBAY

Re: Two Harbors

Post by 21FROMTHEBAY » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:10 am

PuckRanger wrote:
justwatchin wrote:The team was fortunate to keep Eckman in their program, that's dedication to a team right there!
I agree. Its good to see players like that staying home!
just telling u that sean graden was a sopmore this year

HSH1212

Post by HSH1212 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:33 pm

PuckRanger wrote:It's a bit premature, but I'll take a shot at it. Obviously, things can change over the summer, but for now here's how I see it:

Favorite:
Virginia
- Losing top scorer Chris Westin and 3 year starting goalie Will Lustig, along with two defensemen and two other forwards. However, Andy Milbridge is a very capable replacement in goal and has some varsity experience. With Garrett Hendrickson, Travis Eddy, Jordan Krebsbach, Andrew and Wes Judnick all returning (amongst others), there is no shortage of talent. Sixteen players return from the state tournament team - almost all of them were regular contributors. The Blue Devils have to be the preseason favorite next year, hands down.

Challenger:
International Falls
- Losing a very good senior class including the likes of Jace Baldwin, Daniel Eldien, Jacob Casareto, Josh Leinum, and Jake Ruelle - all of which had more than 23 points last season. However, with leading scorer (as a defenseman) Will Corrin returning, along with his partner Matt Youso and a very large senior class (11) - six of which were in double digits in points last season, the Broncos will still maintain a very healthy offense and defense. Both goaltenders will also be back along with sophomore forward Micheal Bounds. They are the only team that comes close to bringing back the level of experience that Virginia has. This team will compete for the 7A title.

Dark Horses:
Hibbing
- Losing Aaron Jamnick and Ryan Hanegmon, who were pretty much the entire offense last season. With no Jamnick's waiting in the wings, next years team may be very offensively challenged. Also gone are forwards Ryan Olds and Marcus Bugiosi, leaving only four players returning that had more than 5 points last year - and none scored more than 9 goals. They are also losing 3 regular defensemen in Drew Vechell, Aaron Wagner, and Jake McConkey. Only Eric Laliberte will return on the blue line with varsity experience. One plus is that Nathan Tromp will return in goal. While the Jackets will still be competetive, this might be the year the streak of 7 consecutive section championship games comes to an end. Probably will be competing with Duluth Marshall for the #3/#4 seed.

Duluth Marshall
- Lost 3 year starting goalie Willie Paul, top defenseman Derek Stauber, and their top 3 forwards (Zach Mausolf, Pat Mahoney, and Joe Kozlak). Only returning one player (Dane Morin) with more than 10 goals. Max Elstad returns to with some experience in goal and Matt Morsette will also be back, but still there will only be 5 or 6 seniors on next year's team. The Hilltoppers will compete, but probably won't be at quite the level of the top two.

... Don't see the rest seriously challenging at this time.
Virginia: They had so much youth this well and still succeded. Anything can happen (who would have thought Vir. would have won the section this year), but its hard to not see them go. I almost think that Hendrickson played 4 lines to develop his younger players for more promising seasons, even though this one was a success; In other words, he believes (in my opinion) that the future looks brighter then this year did. You seem to have forgot Chesser and Carlson who seemed to have a lot of points.

I Falls: I Falls always seems to have disappointing playoffs runs. But, they have some good players in Youso and Corrin. They seem really top heavy.

Hibbing: I think Hibbing will struggle more then people think. Of course, that is just my opinion. I think they will be lacking a big go to guy like Jamnick. But, they will still be a top 4 team.

Marshall: These guys are the biggest question mark. I think they will either impress (top 2 team) or disappoint (even a 5th seed) next year. It's hard to see who will come through for them. Is Rich returning?

7A0809

RE:

Post by 7A0809 » Sat May 02, 2009 12:09 am

This section will be a 2 team race between I Falls and Virginia. The only reason I Falls has any chance to beat Virginia is goaltending. If they can get Walls or Hart playing their best in the playoffs along with a veteran D core they have a chance. Virginia is going to be 3 lines deep next year and will bring back their top D Jordan Krebsbach. Their main losses are Westin and Lustig. Lustig wont be replaced easily but Milbridge is capable. Westins production will be missed but that will be made up for by Hendrickson Judnick and Krebsbach all having another year behind them

backrinkrat

Post by backrinkrat » Mon May 04, 2009 8:50 pm

I-FALLS AND THE DEVILS WILL BE THE TOP TEAMS!
Two Harbors might have a chance to compete. Section 7 A will be weak . Probably see the Blue Devils at the X.

Avermann

Post by Avermann » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:52 pm

The DM toppers seem to have alot of expierience unlike last year. they will be three lines deep. Elstad has proven himself in net over the past year and the defense has also stepped up. look for Hurley and Bushey to be the goto guys. I got my money on them to make it out of 7a this year seeing that virginia doesnt have a tender and thats what got them to the X last year. .....

mnhockrulez

Post by mnhockrulez » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:58 pm

Hibbing has nothing this year. It'll be marshall or virginia for the section

wildfanatic16

Post by wildfanatic16 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:38 pm

mnhockrulez wrote:Hibbing has nothing this year. It'll be marshall or virginia for the section
I agree with two things that you mentioned, that hibbing doesn't have that much this year and Virginia will fight for the section. But i think the falls will be the second team fighting for the section. They have two very good D in Corrin and Youso. Walls who got to play the last half of the season and is more experienced and is a very solid goaltender. They will have a very good first line in McDonald, christianson and bounds. And a good second line. If their defense hold up and gets another one of their seniors (they have 11) to step up for offense they will be right in the race.

wildfanatic16

Post by wildfanatic16 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:31 pm

Does greenway have a team this year? i have been hearing they dont

passer07

Post by passer07 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:44 pm

Avermann wrote:The DM toppers seem to have alot of expierience unlike last year. they will be three lines deep. Elstad has proven himself in net over the past year and the defense has also stepped up. look for Hurley and Bushey to be the goto guys. I got my money on them to make it out of 7a this year seeing that virginia doesnt have a tender and thats what got them to the X last year. .....
My opinion, virginia's goalie Milbridge could be the best goalie in the section.

greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:34 am

Greenway does have a team. See the Greenway thread for a discussion of their situation.

bender09

Post by bender09 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:10 pm

dm is a private school, i am sure they well have a whole slue of transfers. They will come out of this section.

oldtimehockey77

Post by oldtimehockey77 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:59 am

I heard Jordon Christianson from IF is playing for the Wildcats in the MJHL. Does that mean he won't be playing for Falls this winter, if not big loss for falls.

wildfanatic16

Post by wildfanatic16 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:21 pm

oldtimehockey77 wrote:I heard Jordon Christianson from IF is playing for the Wildcats in the MJHL. Does that mean he won't be playing for Falls this winter, if not big loss for falls.
He is playing for the wildcats but is coming back for his senior year

bostoncollegehockey15

Post by bostoncollegehockey15 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:25 pm

i dont know anyone cant say duluth marshall, they should be the heavy favorite. virginia is solid yeah.

but duluth marshall picked up a bunch of new kids this year, at least thats whats my buddy from duluth said. a couple really good kids from another duluth school, and a kid from virginia. also he said they have really good returning forwards and did great in the summer tournaments. no doubt in my mind duluth marshall. unless you want section 7a to get embarrassed in the state tournament again this year.........

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:29 pm

Virginia has a solid squad this year but I dont think they will grow at all during the season and the same goes for I falls... The only team in 7a that plays a remotely hard schedule is DM and it will give them plenty of time to prove themselves... Plus they have a few solid returners in Morin, Morsette, and Rich for forwards, At Defense they have Hurley a senior and Bushey a Junior and both can play the game very well plus a couple transfers which has come to be the norm for this school but there weakest area would have to be between the pipes, But as far as the section goes marshal has a solid shot but in Virginias case once you taste that state appearance, section final game almost seems automatic and that will help them tremendously
CLEAR EYES FULL HEARTS

fromdanorth

Post by fromdanorth » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:53 pm

bostoncollegehockey15 wrote:i dont know anyone cant say duluth marshall, they should be the heavy favorite. virginia is solid yeah.

but duluth marshall picked up a bunch of new kids this year, at least thats whats my buddy from duluth said. a couple really good kids from another duluth school, and a kid from virginia. also he said they have really good returning forwards and did great in the summer tournaments. no doubt in my mind duluth marshall. unless you want section 7a to get embarrassed in the state tournament again this year.........
what kid from virginia?

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:44 pm

fromdanorth wrote:
bostoncollegehockey15 wrote:i dont know anyone cant say duluth marshall, they should be the heavy favorite. virginia is solid yeah.

what kid from virginia?
I believe it was Eveleth not virginia and His name is ryan stevens, i haven't heard of a virginia kid
CLEAR EYES FULL HEARTS

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:46 pm

Jolly Roger wrote:Virginia has a solid squad this year but I dont think they will grow at all during the season and the same goes for I falls... The only team in 7a that plays a remotely hard schedule is DM and it will give them plenty of time to prove themselves... Plus they have a few solid returners in Morin, Morsette, and Rich for forwards, At Defense they have Hurley a senior and Bushey a Junior and both can play the game very well plus a couple transfers which has come to be the norm for this school but there weakest area would have to be between the pipes, But as far as the section goes marshal has a solid shot but in Virginias case once you taste that state appearance, section final game almost seems automatic and that will help them tremendously
Their schedules show 8 common opponents and 1 game between Virginia - Marshall School.
11 other games where Marshall has in anybody's opinion 8 tough games.
11 other games where Virginia has in anybody's opinion 7 tough games.
Marshall has the tougher of the tough scheduled games but it is not that significant otehr than Hill and St Thomas.

Marshall has their own and an early short tourney that is always nice to have to give kids a little tourney experience.

I would not give Marshall a great edge based on schedule.