World Junoirs name Dean Blais Head coach

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockey junkie

World Junoirs name Dean Blais Head coach

Post by hockey junkie »

Did anyone else hear that this is true. If so how many Minnesota kids have a chance to make it?
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

Doubt if its true - think we would have heard something about it in the Fargo-Moorhead area.

Also, Moorhead State is trying to get into Division I hockey & say they're gonna have him coach their team.

Who knows ?
Jbone

Post by Jbone »

SPUDNUT wrote:Doubt if its true - think we would have heard something about it in the Fargo-Moorhead area.

Also, Moorhead State is trying to get into Division I hockey & say they're gonna have him coach their team.

Who knows ?
How can they go from Club team to Division 1!!! Who is saying this? I haven't heard of anybody other than Moorhead State people say this stuff!! How would that even be able to work when they haven't even competed competitively against Division 3 schools!!! Please, someone clear this up for me!
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

Jbone wrote:
SPUDNUT wrote:Doubt if its true - think we would have heard something about it in the Fargo-Moorhead area.

Who knows ?
How can they go from Club team to Division 1! Who is saying this? I haven't heard of anybody other than Moorhead State people say this stuff!! How would that even be able to work when they haven't even competed competitively against Division 3 schools!!! Please, someone clear this up for me!
How can they go from a "Club team" to anything? They don't even have a "Club team"! And I didn't say they wanna be in D1 NEXT YEAR - quit puting words in my mouth.

Its not that difficult to understand:

They said they want to start a team and get into D1 (after jumping thru all the hoops, like Bemidji State did) and have Dean Blais (or possibly Dave Morinville) coach it. They claim they already have enough financing lined up from private sources and would play in the UP Center, since it holds 5,000. A lot of influential paople say MSUM is going about it the right way and it very well could happen.

There - wasn't that complicated, now was it?
Jbone

Post by Jbone »

SPUDNUT wrote:
Jbone wrote:

Who knows ?
How can they go from Club team to Division 1! Who is saying this? I haven't heard of anybody other than Moorhead State people say this stuff!! How would that even be able to work when they haven't even competed competitively against Division 3 schools!!! Please, someone clear this up for me!
How can they go from a "Club team" to anything? They don't even have a "Club team"! And I didn't say they wanna be in D1 NEXT YEAR - quit puting words in my mouth.

Its not that difficult to understand:

They said they want to start a team and get into D1 (after jumping thru all the hoops, like Bemidji State did) and have Dean Blais (or possibly Dave Morinville) coach it. They claim they already have enough financing lined up from private sources and would play in the UP Center, since it holds 5,000. A lot of influential paople say MSUM is going about it the right way and it very well could happen.

There - wasn't that complicated, now was it?
My earlier post seemed alot more violent than really intended. Sorry, but yeah, it is alot more complicated. I am just incredibly skeptical about an area of hockey that would be tough to fill seats on a night in night out basis when there is a team already occupying the rink. Fargo's rink would probably be perfect I understand that has been brought up.

The truth is... I don't think Bimidji is able to fill thier rink up like they should to have a great Division 1 hockey atmosphere.
So what makes Fargo think that they will draw up a larger crowd especially when the basketball team in the area is so good. Aren't people happy enough with thier brand new USHL team that takes it all the way to the championship series and puts up a tremendious fight in thier first year being a franchise! There isn't a city in Minnesota that can say they have a USHL team.
IMO, the Fargo Force should be the hockey ticket in the area, and any more D1 teams would seem to water down the high level of competition.

If it were to happen... I bet there would be another handfull of subpar Minnesota High School players making thier collegiate dreams come true.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

Who knows ?
It's official now.

http://ushl.com/news/story.cfm?id=2574
Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey »

Thats heck of a guy to coach those boys, they are a lucky bunch, go USA
hockey junkie

minnesota kids

Post by hockey junkie »

Any Minnsota kids have a chance at this team. Are guys like Gardiner and Stepan from Wisconsin, Schroeder from Minny guys that will be considered?
The Exiled One

Re: minnesota kids

Post by The Exiled One »

hockey junkie wrote:Any Minnsota kids have a chance at this team. Are guys like Gardiner and Stepan from Wisconsin, Schroeder from Minny guys that will be considered?
Shroeder and Kristo were on the team last year. Most people assume Mike Lee will be the starting goaltender.
Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey »

I would love to see Mike Lee lead us to gold between the pipes
hockey junkie

Post by hockey junkie »

I just heard that Schroeder (Prior Lake) Stepan (Hastings) Kristo (Eden Prarie) and Gardiner (Minnetonka) got try outs. Any other Minney guys?
TrojanMan1

Post by TrojanMan1 »

[quoteThe truth is... I don't think Bimidji is able to fill thier rink up like they should to have a great Division 1 hockey atmosphere.
So what makes Fargo think that they will draw up a larger crowd especially when the basketball team in the area is so good. Aren't people happy enough with thier brand new USHL team that takes it all the way to the championship series and puts up a tremendious fight in thier first year being a franchise! There isn't a city in Minnesota that can say they have a USHL team.
IMO, the Fargo Force should be the hockey ticket in the area, and any more D1 teams would seem to water down the high level of competition.[/quote]

Not only that, many people in the Fargo Moorhead area are season ticket holders to the Ralph Englestad Arena in Grand Forks, and make the trip to see the formerly named Sioux often. That could also make it hard for Moorhead State's team to sell tickets.
Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey »

Dean Blais was recently named head coach of the Nebraska Omaha hockey team, a move that may signal their interest into moving into the WCHA
breakout

Post by breakout »

Love4Hockey wrote:Dean Blais was recently named head coach of the Nebraska Omaha hockey team, a move that may signal their interest into moving into the WCHA

That move could help Omaha and Bemidji establish an eventual presence in the WCHA.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

breakout wrote:That move could help Omaha and Bemidji establish an eventual presence in the WCHA.
Alaska Fairbanks (now University of Alaska) is the other team interested in joining.
JSR

Post by JSR »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
breakout wrote:That move could help Omaha and Bemidji establish an eventual presence in the WCHA.
Alaska Fairbanks (now University of Alaska) is the other team interested in joining.
I have heard that Nebraska-Omaha is alomst a certainy now of becoming the 12th team in the WCHA. Anything could happen, but reliable sources say it's all but a done deal. Blais is coaching the World Juniros and Mark Osiecki (Badgers top assistant) has been tabbed as an assistant coach for the tema as well. Osiecki is a hell of a coach and will become a D1 head coach in the future I suspect. The only thing holding him back right now is him, he loves Madison, makes really good money as an assistant at a top program and he has a young family that he does not want to uproot from the Madison area. I suspect Stepan and Garndier will BOTH make the team with Osiekci on board, not JUST because of that, but that will tip the scales I think.