SC Apollo coach resigns

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

western

Post by western »

Who cares how many wins Apollo will have this year? The point is that kids in both these programs need f..... coaches. Those idiots in this district who sit on their fingers and rotate, need to make some hires. Of course no big names are going to apply. What big names do we have? This is St. Cloud, not Hill Murray or Holy Angels or Edina. Get some f'n people interviewed and make a selection so we can move forward. Dipsticks created this mess by firing the Tech coach when the problem was several wacko parents.

Also, to the poster who said Tech has a bunch of parents who think their kids are going to get D1 scholarships, there are perhaps three or four who feel that way, no more and no less than the average team. The vast majority are good parents who like watching their kids play.
Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey »

Deuce, i like what you have to say, i completly agree with you, dont doubt Apollo because of no head coach or the fact of losing 12 seniors, gonna have a young team but all the seniors to be played varsity last year so expierence is there, a few juniors to be played and a sophmore to be even played, i agree with you Deuce
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

Western, you are right-on! These kids need coaches so that they can move forward. AND you're right in that it's usually only a couple of parents who can ruin it for the group. Unfortunately the group has to carry the stigma created by the few.

I hope both of these teams get some coaches who want to work for the long-term health of the programs, and who want to work with all three HS coaches in St. Cloud to make the youth organization even better.

The winning potential is a challenge. Look at Little Falls a few years ago.
2pipesnin

Post by 2pipesnin »

Before we blame the “parents” for every coach getting fired or leaving a coaching position let's remind ourselves that in every sport, at every level in every state in every town one or more player parents are not happy with the coach.

Now if the coach is honest about each players ability and communicates to the players what he is looking for and what he expects from them on and off the ice, field, etc....and he himself makes good decisions on and off the ice, field etc. that does not de-face the team or the school. I would expect that there is not a Athletic Director out there that would not back up that coach 100% .

But if the coach is not honest with his players and is playing head games or is budding up with some of the parents or feels he does not have to follow the rules (the school's rules or MSHSL rules) then the AD does not have a choice but to relieve that coach from their position. Whether it was a parent complaint or not.

Blame who you want, but the actions of the coach alone will determine their continued employment. Pick any coach you want that has been releived of their position and take a good look at their character and or methods, or some of the inappropriate decisions they may have made along the way and I think you will find a good reason why they were released. Who knows, maybe the AD or school had a reason that did not need to be disclosed to the public. Either way the coach is responsible for their actions!
Storm1234

Post by Storm1234 »

Heard through the grapevine that Mike Kennedy is applying for the job..
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

2pipesnin wrote:Before we blame the “parents” for every coach getting fired or leaving a coaching position let's remind ourselves that in every sport, at every level in every state in every town one or more player parents are not happy with the coach.

Now if the coach is honest about each players ability and communicates to the players what he is looking for and what he expects from them on and off the ice, field, etc....and he himself makes good decisions on and off the ice, field etc. that does not de-face the team or the school. I would expect that there is not a Athletic Director out there that would not back up that coach 100% .

But if the coach is not honest with his players and is playing head games or is budding up with some of the parents or feels he does not have to follow the rules (the school's rules or MSHSL rules) then the AD does not have a choice but to relieve that coach from their position. Whether it was a parent complaint or not.

Blame who you want, but the actions of the coach alone will determine their continued employment. Pick any coach you want that has been releived of their position and take a good look at their character and or methods, or some of the inappropriate decisions they may have made along the way and I think you will find a good reason why they were released. Who knows, maybe the AD or school had a reason that did not need to be disclosed to the public. Either way the coach is responsible for their actions!
Just a hunch but you've never been a high school coach before. I have and in my experiance and with many other coaches I have had the pleasure of meeting what you speak of is rarely the case if we're not hired back. School boards (which are elected), in my opinion and experiance, are the biggest cause of coaches not being hired back, Mike Randolph can be used as example A. It takes very little in some places for someone to go complain and that's all it takes. Also a change in Superindendant can lead to all coaches losing their jobs, this happened in Waseca and Austin in my area in the past 20 years. Some ISD's have a strong set up for their AD's others don't, the AD is little more than a scheduler. Believe it or not there are places that no one wants to go coach where you're never going to get a quality candidtae because of their track record so you end up with a nonstop revolving door of coaches.

Also, you can be very honest to the player and family but that that doesn't mean the player or family believes you. Parents to a fault overestimate their own kids talent while underestimating their opponents talent. As a coach you can do what you're supposed to do and try and win while at the same time teaching kids or you can be a lackey to the parents or school board and do what they say. It can and often is a no win situation.

I was a head football coah for high school, and I can tell you for a fact what you speak of is a small minority of why coaches aren't hired back. Coaches are hired on a year to year basis, the school board doesn't and usually won't give a reason for not renewing your contract. They don't have to have just cause like a normal employer would, theyu simply can choose not to renew it.
Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey »

Why would Mike Kennedy apply here, his son is gonna be a senior at Tech, thats kinda betraying him in a way, I have a hard time believing that one
western

Post by western »

I have been in touch with Kennedy regarding the Tech opening. He is very interested in who is going to be coaching there because of his kid's last year there, and all he has ever said is that he hopes both schools find qualified coaches. I would bet any amount of money he would never apply for either job. He told me he wouldn't mind coaching his grandaughter (2) if he can get her mom to allow her to play hockey.
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

Kennedy would not be a bad choice, EXCEPT that his son is playing this next season. Past experience tells me that even the best coaches suffer when they have a kid on the team.

How would I judge any coach, you ask? The question I ask is: Would I be willing to let my child play for them? Over the years, there have been many yes votes, and a few no. Of all the names I've seen mentioned on this thread, only DeGagne would get a no. There might be some stronger yes and even a few maybes, but there are some folks who could help both programs and kids.

Here's a question for you local experts... I see in the paper that the girls Tech and Apollo/Cathedral (Icebreakers) are merging back to the original form after this next season. When will that happen to the Tech / Apollo boys teams? (If ever) Don't throw emotion into the question, just use logic and tell me if you see it happening anytime in the next 5 years..
4theparents

Post by 4theparents »

Blue and Gold:

You're right. Parents who have a kid coaching are best advised to keep away from the bench. It will cause nothing but problems for them, and often, their kid. It's okay at lower levels of youth hockey but not at the higher levels and high school.

As to your question, I am a southsider, and yes, I do see the boys combining, probably within five years. In fact, I wouldn't doubt the schools combine, but for sure, many sports will. I think Tech will have decent growth because of the southside housing market availability and proximity to the Cities, but the north side will not. It will become a question of economics. I'm not saying it is a great idea, but it might have to go that way out of necessity.
redwhiteandblue

Post by redwhiteandblue »

Rumor is that the Apollo and Tech head coaches will be named in the next couple days.
deucereppin

Post by deucereppin »

I know that only two people applied for the Apollo position. Apparently they both are not from the area....
4theparents

Post by 4theparents »

That's what I hear, as well. That an announcement is a day or so away. I don't have much in the way of names, except I understand that Craig Larson and Pete Matanich (assistant to Hommerding) applied for the Tech job. Meanwhile, a guy who coached nearly all the Tech kids, Mike Denardo, didn't get an interview. He has experience doing some ass. high school coaching and lots of Pee Wee, Bantam, Midget and Select coaching.
western

Post by western »

Just saw the upcoming Tech schedule for the season. No Cathedral because CHS is not playing in the Granite City Classic, nor is Sartell; so this tourney shouldn't even take place. Yet the Tech AD scheduled the team to play in it. If I'm the new coach, I try to bail out ASAP. I think it's a shame Tech and CHS won't play in 09/10. It's a fun rivalry and there are lots of friends on both sides who would like to compete. The AD also left Moorhead off Tech's schedule, real good move in that it's a missed opportunity for strength of schedule for section rankings. This is what happens when there is no leadership.
redwhiteandblue

Post by redwhiteandblue »

Is Cathedral not on the Tech schedule because Eric Johnson (Cathedral's Head Coach) might be named Tech's new head coach?
western

Post by western »

That would be nice for Tech, but I don't think that's the case. Eric teaches at CHS and would need a teaching job in the district, I would guess, though I would suppose he could continue teaching at CHS. Although it would be a good move for Tech, I think he is content to stay at CHS until a bigger job opens at a school in the Twin Cities. That's my guess. I have heard no mention that he applied.
theblandyman

Post by theblandyman »

I am going to go ahead and say Cathedral bailed on the GCC because of how the tourney has changed face over the last few years. For as long as I can remember, Cathedral would play either Apollo or Tech in the nightcap. In recent years, Cathedral has faced off against the likes of Rogers and Litchfield in opening round. They don't get to play the rivalry game and the competition is very low. It's the right move for them to bail and add some tougher teams to their schedule.
western

Post by western »

I don't blame them for bailing. I just wish Tech would bail as well. This tourney should be scrapped. It is but a shade of what it used to be back when some teams from up north would come down. The competition is terrible now. My point is that having a good coach in place at Tech might have prevented them from getting stuck in this so called tourney this year. But the Tech AD is completely clueless about the sport and made the decision with no input.
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

western wrote:I don't blame them for bailing. I just wish Tech would bail as well. This tourney should be scrapped. It is but a shade of what it used to be back when some teams from up north would come down. The competition is terrible now. My point is that having a good coach in place at Tech might have prevented them from getting stuck in this so called tourney this year. But the Tech AD is completely clueless about the sport and made the decision with no input.
I thought that Tech and Apollo hosted this trny together. Is that a mistake on my part and it's an Apollo-only hosted trny?

I agree though that not having a coach in place can be an issue with the scheduling.
western

Post by western »

No, you might be right, Blue and Gold. I know it used to be jointly hosted. Apollo might be the only host now, not sure. Either way, if I'm the new Tech coach, I would bail. What benefit is there to playing in this tourney now that CHS and Sartell are gone?
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

Can anyone tell me where CHS and Sartell are going to play instead of the GCC?

I remember years ago attending games at the GCC and the arena was packed, the play was high level and the hockey was great. I would guess that with the big tournament in Blaine at the same time the competition has gone down hill.
western

Post by western »

Yes, Sartell is going to the tourney in the Cities, I don't remember the name, but it is the big holiday tourney down there. Good luck. That one will be an eye opener. I'm told from people at CHS that they have some new teams in their section that they want to play this year and correctly figure it will help them more in strength of schedule rankings to do that rather than play in the local tourney.
theblandyman

Post by theblandyman »

Blue&Gold wrote:Can anyone tell me where CHS and Sartell are going to play instead of the GCC?

I remember years ago attending games at the GCC and the arena was packed, the play was high level and the hockey was great. I would guess that with the big tournament in Blaine at the same time the competition has gone down hill.
I belive (but don't quote me) that Cathedral has opted to not play in any tourney and instead take the opportunity to add some metro private schools. That's the word on the street anyway.
Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey »

Teah thats what their are doing, 3 non-conference games against good teams. Any new info on the opening at Apollo? Its already August and theres still no coach.
in2hockey

Post by in2hockey »

Apollo has selected a coach and it will be announced next week.