SC Apollo coach resigns

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

western

Post by western »

Apollo has picked Pete Mantanich, former Tech assistant coach. He originally wasn't offered the job but then someone who was pulled out and they went back to him when they opened interviews again. Good Luck. Finally the kids have a coach.
Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey »

Finally, I think alot of good will come from that choice
western

Post by western »

So do I. I'm happy for Apollo, especially the kids.
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

This is all good news. The coaches are all named and now I hope that everyone has good experiences this year.
Cheese wagon driver

Hers to good experiences

Post by Cheese wagon driver »

Hey now B&G, Its HS hockey, just hope its the parents that have the good experience. They could find a reason real quick, to make life miserable for the two new guys. I heard thats all that matters for those two programs anyways.
Just got back to school and have been getting caught up with all the new developments. Good stuff though for Apollo. I've heard a ton of good things about Matanich.
Tech is in trouble though, if a guy who has never coached HS hockey is taking over that ship.
Anyway.....Best of luck to both this season.
Looking forward to the good natured banter on theis site.
western

Post by western »

Don't know if I agree with that at all, cheese wagon. These kids (the key players) have played together since squirts. Many of them were B1 squirts and played A together in pee wees and bantams. They have some very good ability, parental craziness nonwithstanding. It is less about who the coach is than it is if the kids respect him, play hard for him and play together as a team. If they do that, they'll be fine. Also heard the new coach had a parent meeting last night and it went well. Seems things are starting off on a positive note. Let's hope it stays that way.
Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey »

Matanich is the perfect guy for the Apollo job, the players seem to like him and ready for the season to start, they have the talent at Apollo they just need to play the whole game and use that talent
western

Post by western »

Cheese Wagon:

You turned out to be right in your prediction so far on Tech. Lot of people thought they would come out strong -- going to be tough sledding for these boys this year. Trying to get some inside dope on what's going on but several of the parents aren't sayin much. don't want to be too quick to judge but couple games i saw they seem scattered and disorganized. Heard they played ok against BSM. Saw em in Sartell and they played ok but took too many trips to the box.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Love4Hockey wrote:Matanich is the perfect guy for the Apollo job, the players seem to like him and ready for the season to start, they have the talent at Apollo they just need to play the whole game and use that talent
Can you elaborate on the talent that Apollo has?
The U invented swagger.
4theparents

Post by 4theparents »

There's number of questions about Tech hockey right now. If you've seen a game (I've seen couple home games), they appear to be disorganized. It appears they have some talent but are no where near playing at the level they should and haven't beaten anyone of consequence.

I don't know much about the coaching staff but can't help but wonder how these kids are coached. By taking a person with no experience at all at high school I think they took a big chance and this could be real struggle.

My impression from watching them a few times is that they don't play with discipline, too many penalties, being out of position ect. i hope i'm wrong for the kids sake.
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

4theparents wrote:There's number of questions about Tech hockey right now. If you've seen a game (I've seen couple home games), they appear to be disorganized. It appears they have some talent but are no where near playing at the level they should and haven't beaten anyone of consequence.

I don't know much about the coaching staff but can't help but wonder how these kids are coached. By taking a person with no experience at all at high school I think they took a big chance and this could be real struggle.

My impression from watching them a few times is that they don't play with discipline, too many penalties, being out of position ect. i hope i'm wrong for the kids sake.
I hope the best for these kids, but this shows what happens when people get too involved (read that to be "parents"). The new coach will take some time, but I think that he'll work out. I just hope he isn't being hasseled by any of the current parents and is just working on getting his feet wet.
sticks

Post by sticks »

4theparents wrote:There's number of questions about Tech hockey right now. If you've seen a game (I've seen couple home games), they appear to be disorganized. It appears they have some talent but are no where near playing at the level they should and haven't beaten anyone of consequence.

Are you a parent??
USHLTender

Post by USHLTender »

Went to the Apollo /Sartell game tonight , apollo played 1/2 of their JV in Varsity game, guess a bunch of the Varsity kids got suspended for something for quite some time according to some of the parents
4theparents

Post by 4theparents »

i had a kid play for Tech. Taht's why i don't get to all the games anymore, just a few.
ya-man

Post by ya-man »

Bring back Tapper!