Varsity Freshmen

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:20 am

eastsideguy wrote:Fasching is definately the real deal, big , strong, and skilled. Also very young for his class, July 95. Some freshman on this list are more than a year older.
I second that. He's a stud. It'll be interesting to see what he and Michaelson do in the next couple of years. If they stick around AV could have a solid team.

eastsideguy

Post by eastsideguy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:33 am

My prediction is Michaelson gets the Ann Arbor offer this year and Fasching next year. Gopherfan you are correct, it will be very interesting to see what these individuals and their families decide to do.

observer

Post by observer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:34 am

No-fly-bys

I think you have your Benilde freshman mixed up. Besse is real. Tied for the scoring lead with Patterson (sr) and Horn (soph) with 26 points. The other 3 are non-factors and made a mistake moving to high school this year and would have been much smarter to play 50-60 high end bantam A games, and be leaders, with Edina and EP. The Benilde coach made a mistake naming them to the team. I can't even figure out why the families, or coach, would even do that. Benilde=not that impressive.

Besse fits the rule, top two lines, power play and shorthanded, go for it. Otherwise, play bantam A.

eastsideguy

Post by eastsideguy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:40 am

observer wrote:No-fly-bys

I think you have your Benilde freshman mixed up. Besse is real. Tied for the scoring lead with Patterson (sr) and Horn (soph) with 26 points. The other 3 are non-factors and made a mistake moving to high school this year and would have been much smarter to play 50-60 high end bantam A games, and be leaders, with Edina and EP. The Benilde coach made a mistake naming them to the team. I can't even figure out why the families, or coach, would even do that. Benilde=not that impressive.

Besse fits the rule, top two lines, power play and shorthanded, go for it. Otherwise, play bantam A.
Agreed, in my opinion Besse will be faced with the same decision Michelson will have this year, Ann Arbor or high school.

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:58 am

Ha, you're right. Too bad that criteria is waaay out the window. It's amazing how coaches are taking "average" freshman to the varsity team. It's too bad. But i disagree with your assesment of the BSM kids...i think Labosky is good and he sees a pretty good amount of ice despite his size.

observer

Post by observer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:22 pm

Why is that criteria out the window? Besse, sensible move using that criteria, other players not.

I never said they were bad players. I said the parents and coach made a mistake. Being a leader on a Bantam A team for 55 games would have made them better players and leaders come March 1st. That would benefit Benilde in the future. Better players and leaders. I'm curious why, and it's not just the bantam eligible players at Benilde I'm talking about. Seems dumb and a little cocky.

hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:46 pm

eastsideguy wrote:My prediction is Michaelson gets the Ann Arbor offer this year and Fasching next year. Gopherfan you are correct, it will be very interesting to see what these individuals and their families decide to do.
Knock on wood. That is one of my worries. I know Fasching is also a very solid soccer player and hoping he wants to continue both for all 4 years and that would help him stick around. From meeting both parents I would think they both stick around AV but sometimes when opportunities come you can't blame someone for taking them. Fischer stayed so hopefully that trend will continue.

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:07 pm

observer wrote:Why is that criteria out the window? Besse, sensible move using that criteria, other players not.

I never said they were bad players. I said the parents and coach made a mistake. Being a leader on a Bantam A team for 55 games would have made them better players and leaders come March 1st. That would benefit Benilde in the future. Better players and leaders. I'm curious why, and it's not just the bantam eligible players at Benilde I'm talking about. Seems dumb and a little cocky.
I think we got our signals crossed. I agree with you that should be the criteria for moving up 100%, but i think in the case of many who move up they throw that out the window to play any varisty min. I'm a big proponant of keeping Bantam Eligibile players in Bantams. Like you stated, the intangibles you gain playing bantams outweighs the benifits of HS, except for the select 10-15 who should be making the jump early. The obsession in advancement has me confused as well...to be honest its frustrating to see too.

I think the Benilde and any other private school situation is a bit different though...they don't have any ties to youth programs, they can't influence how coaches coach and what systems are run and all that. Not to say i think it's right they pluck kids, who may or may not be ready, early...but i think they have better reasons than public schools.

i know you didn't say they were bad, i just like how Labosky plays. i saw him this fall with edina and a couple times at BSM. Just my opinion.

ACDCfan

Post by ACDCfan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:43 pm

observer wrote:Would have made them better players and leaders come March 1st.
Why would playing down a level make them better players?

Why would hanging out with 13-14 year olds improve their leadership skills more than being led by 17-18 year olds?

Think about this math:

17 weeks of varsity is 102 activities (6/week). This is about 27 games (depends on playoffs) and 75 practices. Note the 3-1 ratio. At 1.5 hours per practice, it adds up to 112.5 hours of practice.

In the same 17 weeks, bantams will have probably not meet 102 times (6/wk). However, if they did and they played 51 games, that would mean 51 hours of practice in the 17 weeks, b/c bantams usually practice for 60 minutes. Even if you add the first four weeks before hs, you still get only get 63 hours of practice.

If you practice 112 hours against older kids (you have to work to keep up) or 51 hours against younger kids (you are the best player on the ice), which do you think provides more development?

no-fly-bys

Post by no-fly-bys » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Yes, you are right. Besse can play. But Moore and labosky I believe there size and strength has a lot to do with there playing level and who they are playing against. My opinion with the lack of size they should have played A bantams. They come from very strong associations. Thats were I believe there is recruitment going on. If this was Edina there is know way they would have played varsity or the coach would have let them move up. Now when your talking private schools there thinking is get them while you can before they change there mind or before another private school swoops them up.

HatChick3

Hats off to all of these freshman

Post by HatChick3 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:50 pm

Hats off to all these freshmen! These are tremendous players and are a pleasure to watch and follow as they have an opportunity to play varsity hockey. Keep in mind that there are many factors that go on in a hockey game to determine a players’ success such as how he plays on both ends of the puck, both defensive and offensive. Although scoring is fun, there is more to the game than that. We can look at whether a player is playing double A or single A, whether he is a young freshman or an old freshman, whether his dad is coaching or not, and who the player is surrounded by (chemistry). Nevertheless, we can look at this year’s top freshman of the state and know they will be fun to watch now and for years to come.

no-fly-bys

Re: Hats off to all of these freshman

Post by no-fly-bys » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Hatchick3, yes hats off to all freshman. But remember just b/c they are on a varsity team that does not mean that they are the top freshman in the state. There are plenty of Freshman that could make some of these varsity teams that call on freshman for bodies that stay at bantams. Not knocking how they play just in some of there decisions they made or had them made for them.
HatChick3 wrote:Hats off to all these freshmen! These are tremendous players and are a pleasure to watch and follow as they have an opportunity to play varsity hockey. Keep in mind that there are many factors that go on in a hockey game to determine a players’ success such as how he plays on both ends of the puck, both defensive and offensive. Although scoring is fun, there is more to the game than that. We can look at whether a player is playing double A or single A, whether he is a young freshman or an old freshman, whether his dad is coaching or not, and who the player is surrounded by (chemistry). Nevertheless, we can look at this year’s top freshman of the state and know they will be fun to watch now and for years to come.

Teak

Post by Teak » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:26 pm

Tuesday games:

Kyle Osterberg, 1g 3a in Lakeville South's 7-4 win over Chaska
Andrew Scofield with a goal in Northfield's 2-1 loss to Shakopee
Grant Besse, 2g in BSM's 6-3 loss to Edina
TJ Roo, 1g 1a in Totino's 7-2 win over Chisago Lakes
Mike Welch, Redwood Valley, 1g in 7-1 win, shutting the Sleepy Eye
AHA beats up on New Prague, 9-2, with
Zach Hartley, 2a
Mario Bianchi, 1g 1a

Little Falls downs Prairie Centre 6-3 in a Central Minnesota matchup:
Luke Majerle (LF) 1g 2a
Ben Newman (LF) 1g
Nate Mettenburg (PC) 2a

Ryan Mattson 1g 1a for Waconia in 6-5 loss

Tylar Cisar for Moose Lake, 2g 1a in 5-4 win over Northern Lakes
Good to see Moose Lake reporting their results this year!

Thief River Falls parking Park Rapids 5-1 with Chris Forney getting his 2nd goal of the season (9 points).

Lowstickside

Post by Lowstickside » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:52 pm

ACDCfan wrote:
observer wrote:Would have made them better players and leaders come March 1st.
Why would playing down a level make them better players?

Why would hanging out with 13-14 year olds improve their leadership skills more than being led by 17-18 year olds?

Think about this math:

17 weeks of varsity is 102 activities (6/week). This is about 27 games (depends on playoffs) and 75 practices. Note the 3-1 ratio. At 1.5 hours per practice, it adds up to 112.5 hours of practice.

In the same 17 weeks, bantams will have probably not meet 102 times (6/wk). However, if they did and they played 51 games, that would mean 51 hours of practice in the 17 weeks, b/c bantams usually practice for 60 minutes. Even if you add the first four weeks before hs, you still get only get 63 hours of practice.

If you practice 112 hours against older kids (you have to work to keep up) or 51 hours against younger kids (you are the best player on the ice), which do you think provides more development?
This has some good points. At the rink last night and the Bantam A teams were taking the ice for a 9 PM starting time league game. When did they finish, 10:30? Grass not always greener, and bantams in the smaller programs/majority not always the greatest as far as coaching, ice times, ice time period ect.

HatChick3

Levi Talarico Fox FSN (Qwest) player of the game

Post by HatChick3 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Congratulations to Levi Talarico for scoring a very nice short-handed goal and being named FOX FSN (Qwest) player of the game. The Hunters bring down the Jacks 3-1 and Talarico has one heck of a motor! I look forward to seeing much more out of this kid in the future.

hockeyrocks11

Post by hockeyrocks11 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:00 pm

:(
Last edited by hockeyrocks11 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

starmvp

Re: This is Sad

Post by starmvp » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:01 pm

hockeyrocks11 wrote:This is so sad. Really is that your goal in life to put these freshman down? Honestly youve been ripping on the Freshman for benilde a lot. Whats the point. Last i look they made the team didnt they? I dont know about you but i attended the edina vs bsm and i thought the bsm freshman played quite a bit.
Were you on the ice?

Teak

Re: Levi Talarico Fox FSN (Qwest) player of the game

Post by Teak » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:53 pm

HatChick3 wrote:Congratulations to Levi Talarico for scoring a very nice short-handed goal and being named FOX FSN (Qwest) player of the game. The Hunters bring down the Jacks 3-1 and Talarico has one heck of a motor! I look forward to seeing much more out of this kid in the future.
Is Fox Sports North still televising games? I thought that they had cancelled their schedule in late December.

MNhockeyrep10

Post by MNhockeyrep10 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Teak wrote:Schools beginning with B.

Jesse Dukek, Bagley-Fosston 9 D
Brady Anderson , B-F 9 D
Kael Fontaine, B-F 9 W
Aaron Leintz, B-F 9 W
Grant Cardinal, B-F 8 D
Torry Swenson, B-F 9 C
Chris Clark, B-F 9 W

Grant Besse, Benilde-SM 9 F
Patrick Graham, BSM 9 D
Dominic Burg, BSM 9 F
T. J. Moore, BSM 9 F
Dan Labosky, BSM 9 F
Seth Chumley, BSM 9 D

Michael Brodzinski, Blaine 9 D
Jesse Norling, Blaine 9 W

Johnny Austin, Blake 8 D
Christopher Chute, Blake 9 F

Aaron Rouse, Buffalo 9 F

Dominic Burg is not a freshmen, hes a sophmore who barely sees the ice on jv. He is very bad. Lobowski also cannot keep up with varsity. He plays like he is under 100 pounds and cannot hold up to the physical game. It is only a matter of time until he is hurt.

eastsideguy

Post by eastsideguy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:32 pm

no-fly-bys wrote:Yes, you are right. Besse can play. But Moore and labosky I believe there size and strength has a lot to do with there playing level and who they are playing against. My opinion with the lack of size they should have played A bantams. They come from very strong associations. Thats were I believe there is recruitment going on. If this was Edina there is know way they would have played varsity or the coach would have let them move up. Now when your talking private schools there thinking is get them while you can before they change there mind or before another private school swoops them up.

While i'm not naive to the fact that conversations probably happen, you may want to have your facts straight before you throw stones at certain kids and particular programs. In the case of two of these Benilde freshman, they have sibblings attending the school already, neither of whom play hockey. One of these "recruited" hockey players Mom went to BSM and Dad went to Totino, I bet that kid was probably hard for BSM to "recruit." Suprisingly enough, sometimes the good athletes have a family history or certain family beliefs and values that steer them towards a private school.

PS- Next time Zach Lavalle puts up 3 or 4 points for HM, before you scream recruitment, you should know his dad is a graduate.

Nobodyonya

Post by Nobodyonya » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:23 pm

MNhockeyrep10 wrote:
Teak wrote:Schools beginning with B.

Jesse Dukek, Bagley-Fosston 9 D
Brady Anderson , B-F 9 D
Kael Fontaine, B-F 9 W
Aaron Leintz, B-F 9 W
Grant Cardinal, B-F 8 D
Torry Swenson, B-F 9 C
Chris Clark, B-F 9 W

Grant Besse, Benilde-SM 9 F
Patrick Graham, BSM 9 D
Dominic Burg, BSM 9 F
T. J. Moore, BSM 9 F
Dan Labosky, BSM 9 F
Seth Chumley, BSM 9 D

Michael Brodzinski, Blaine 9 D
Jesse Norling, Blaine 9 W

Johnny Austin, Blake 8 D
Christopher Chute, Blake 9 F

Aaron Rouse, Buffalo 9 F

Dominic Burg is not a freshmen, hes a sophmore who barely sees the ice on jv. He is very bad. Lobowski also cannot keep up with varsity. He plays like he is under 100 pounds and cannot hold up to the physical game. It is only a matter of time until he is hurt.
Are you referring to Labosky or is there a player Lobowski?

Teak

Post by Teak » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:30 am

Nobodyonya wrote:
MNhockeyrep10 wrote: Dominic Burg is not a freshmen, hes a sophmore who barely sees the ice on jv. He is very bad. Lobowski also cannot keep up with varsity. He plays like he is under 100 pounds and cannot hold up to the physical game. It is only a matter of time until he is hurt.
Are you referring to Labosky or is there a player Lobowski?
I think he is referring to Labosky.

Top scorers for Thursday action:
Kyle Osterberg, moving up the charts quickly, with another 1g 3a game in Lakeville South's 10-3 win over Eastview. That gives him 19 assists; a setup artist. He had 1g 3a on Tuesday as well.

Northfield downs Roch. JM 6-2 with Andrew Scofield getting 1g 2a.
Ian Johnson helps Park Rapids with 1g 1a in 6-0 shutout of Wadena.

Mike Welch, 2g 1a in Redwood Valley's 4-2 win over Windom.

Conner Thie scores his second goal for Hopkins in another loss, 5-4 to Mound-Westonka. What would Hopkins have been like with Travis Boyd this season?

Teak

Post by Teak » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:33 am

Through Thursday games, 14 January.

Games Played-Goals-Assists (Factored in % of team goals)
Goals, assists, and % leaders emboldened.

28 points
Grant Besse, Benilde-SM 13-20-8 (37%)
25 points
Levi Talarico, Duluth Denfeld 15-11-14 (42%)
24 points
Kyle Osterberg, Lakeville South 13-5-19 (41%)
23 points
Jake Horton, Tartan 14-11-12 (41%)
20 points
Max Coatta, Minnetonka 14-12-8 (25%)
19 points
Tanner Picht, Morris-Benson 11-11-8 (43%)
T J Roo, Totino-Grace 11-10-9 (35%)
Nate Mettenburg, Prairie Centre 17-7-12 (36%)
18 points
Hudson Fasching, Apple Valley 13-9-9 (39%)
15 points
Connor Chambers, No Lakes 13-9-6 (29%)
Ryan Tapani, Providence Academy 13-7-8 (31%)
Zach LaValle, Hill-Murray 14-7-8 (21%)
14 points
Andrew Scofield, Northfield 10-7-7 (45%)
Mike Welch, Redwood Valley 13-6-8 (23%)
Garrett Riebling, Holy Family Catholic 13-4-10 (31%)
13 points
Ian Johnson, Park Rapids 17-9-4 (15%)
12 points
Dylan Libra, Mora/H-F 12-7-5 (23%)
Ryan Mattson, Waconia 13-4-8 (34%)
11 points
Derek Graves, Mora/H-F 12-5-6 (21%)
10 points
Luke Schwarz, Morris-Benson 11-7-3 (23%)
Louis Gerzin, Ely [8] 13-6-4 (17%) <-- Top 8th Grader
Zach Foesch, St. Francis 13-4-6 (16%)
Last edited by Teak on Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teak

Post by Teak » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:10 pm

Sent to me by PM, from a reader:

Lavalle with an assist in the 12-3 win over Richfield.

Freshmen tender Dugas getting the win as well. He played well despite the low shots and 3 goals, one goal was just a nice shot and the others were a 2-0 while hill was on the PK, and another wide open man from a defensive lapse. Hopefully he'll get more chances to prove himself.

Ugly game for Hill though in my opinion, especially on the defensive side.

I haven't been following frosh goal-keepers, so thanks for pointing this one out to us. Here is what I dug up regarding Dugas.

Hill-Murray has 2 frosh goalies backing up the starter, Tim Shaughnessy (Junior, 10-1-1 record).
John Dugas is 2-0-0 (110 minutes), with 19 Saves on 23 Shots (83%), letting in only 4 goals.
Patrick Munson is listed on the varsity, but apparently plays JV.

So, it is good to see the Hill-Murray coach letting a frosh take the Richfield game in its entirety.

Teak

Post by Teak » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:56 am

Friday games, very few.

BSM downs Totino/Grace 8-3:
Grant Besse 1g 3a
TJ Moore 2g
Dan Labosky 1a

AHA beats some Rhode Island team 9-2 with Mario Bianchi picking up a goal. Mt. St. Charles Prep, it was.

Ely downs Walker but no stats put up yet.