St Thomas (1-0) @ Minnetonka (4-0) 12-19-09 7pm

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:52 am

Cadets
30%
Skippers
70%

Total votes: 46

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:50 pm

High Flyer wrote:I think all HShockeywatcher is trying to point out is home ice advantage goes to Mtka this game. And yes, had there not been the CDH basketball game, there would have been a much bigger STA student body fan base attending this away game.
That is understood, but after finding that out and switching his pick from STA by 2 to MHS by 2 he switched again to, "up for grabs". Either way I don't think the true nature of this game was ever going to hinge on the number of STA fans in attendance. :)

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:29 pm

I was really hoping to leave it at one comment, assuming people were smart enough to understand what it was, and not continue to explain every little thing. Guess not.

This Minnetonka game is, imo, the 2nd biggest SCHEDULED game of the season. Whether the CDH game was scheduled first and someone thought, "eh, we'll just schedule this game the same night as our biggest basketball game of the year" or the Tonka game was first and someone thought, "eh, we'll just schedule our biggest basketball game of the year the same night as our 2nd biggest hockey game" it was pretty silly when neither Tonka nor STA play hockey Thursday AND neither CDH nor STA play ball Thursday. Emotions run high and someone picked basketball over hockey. Period. All I'm saying.

The players, on what are probably two of the 10 best teams in the state, will surely come to play. I think it will be a two goal game one way or the other. I will for sure be listening and I hope being the Skippers' first legit opponent of the year, the Cadets can catch Minnetonka off guard and get a W.

Go Cadets!

HMHockey943

Re

Post by HMHockey943 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:37 pm

Tonka 6-3 to much for STA

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:23 pm

My bad; read schedules wrong. STA plays Thursday. Same point, could've played at 3, basketball could've been Thursday, etc, etc.

hs hockey fan

Post by hs hockey fan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:51 pm

8-1 tonka
tonka is too powerful and quick from what i saw at the woodbury tournament they skated around everybody like they were standing still their first 5 is a very good 5 players and their second pair of defensemen are just as good as their first pair.

Factsmatter1

Post by Factsmatter1 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:28 pm

hs hockey fan wrote:8-1 tonka
tonka is too powerful and quick from what i saw at the woodbury tournament they skated around everybody like they were standing still their first 5 is a very good 5 players and their second pair of defensemen are just as good as their first pair.
Not sure who Tonka's first line is but they are very good. I saw them play in the Woodbury tournament and they scored in the first 20 seconds of the game. I know their first four D are outstanding. I am more familiar with STA's first line which has Krieger, Crandall and Isaackson up front and Fleming and Schurhammer on D. It will be interesting to see how these two teams compare head to head.. Is anyone familiar enough with Tonka to compare them line for line....

STA #1 TONKA#1
Isaackson ?
Crandall
Krieger

STA#2 TONKA#2
Kroska ?
Reid
Schroeder

STA#3 TONKA#3
Eichstat
Commers
Gavin

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:35 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:The players, on what are probably two of the 10 best teams in the state, will surely come to play. I think it will be a two goal game one way or the other.
You're really going way out on a limb with that prediction! :roll:

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:53 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:I was really hoping to leave it at one comment, assuming people were smart enough to understand what it was, and not continue to explain every little thing. Guess not.
Your whining about the schedule was not of interest. But for the record, I see your complaint that STA will suffer because the famous traveling Cadet fanbase won't be in attendance to intimidate a team that's outscored its opponents 39-1 a bit hollow.

blueblood

HShockeywatcher

Post by blueblood » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:04 am

Tonka has outscored opponents 39-1 in 5 games.

Predicting a 6-1 win is not ignorant. Goals are goning to be hard to get against Kruger with Prochno, Holl and Hesketh in front of him.

I stand by my prediction.

Let's see how it ends up and then lob some more grenades at each other....

High Flyer

Post by High Flyer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:27 am

Minnetonka is a very good team, was my pick this summer to win AA and still is. There has been a lot of hype about the team this year and very deserving I might add.

But I think there are a lot of Mtka kool aid drinkers on the forum that are clue less about the talent level and fire power that STA has this year. I find it very interesting that they dismiss last years game (as the two teams are basically the same this year) with that one went going to over time and STA coming out on top with a game winning goal by a freshman forward Krieger.

Last years game was about as evenly played as you could get in all areas and I expect this year’s game to be another close one.

Factsmatter1

Post by Factsmatter1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:11 am

High Flyer wrote:Minnetonka is a very good team, was my pick this summer to win AA and still is. There has been a lot of hype about the team this year and very deserving I might add.

But I think there are a lot of Mtka kool aid drinkers on the forum that are clue less about the talent level and fire power that STA has this year. I find it very interesting that they dismiss last years game (as the two teams are basically the same this year) with that one went going to over time and STA coming out on top with a game winning goal by a freshman forward Krieger.

Last years game was about as evenly played as you could get in all areas and I expect this year’s game to be another close one.
HF,

I generally agree with you. I think this is going to be a very tough game for both teams. But in fairness, as a STA fan myself, I think the game last year TONKA outshot STA by a pretty strong margin. My memory may be incorrect but I thought that was the case....

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:13 am

High Flyer wrote:But I think there are a lot of Mtka kool aid drinkers on the forum that are clue less about the talent level and fire power that STA has this year.
The people predicting a lob sided score represent a varied fan base not just one and it might be presumptuous to assume they all are [sic] clue less. With the advent of broadcasting games via the internet, with increased coverage via various websites, and with FSN airing weekly games, it's not difficult to know quite a bit about other teams. To say they are basically the same teams as last year ignores that MHS has completely elevated its play compared to last season and as far as firepower is concerned one team has averaged nearly 8 goals per game, the other has not.

I myself expect a close game but I'm more a Crystal Light guy myself.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:32 pm

High Flyer wrote:Minnetonka is a very good team, was my pick this summer to win AA and still is. There has been a lot of hype about the team this year and very deserving I might add.

STA should worry about N St Paul first...... STA allowed Simley(Simley) to score 2 :shock: goals and NSP shut them out 7-0

SoftMitts

Post by SoftMitts » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:56 pm

MTKA changes their lines on a regular basis to help the youngsters adapt to the speed. Who knows what the lines will look like on Saturday.

High Flyer

Post by High Flyer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:44 pm

FM1-
Shots where 37-26 last yr., difference being MHS power play opportunities. I thought both teams won a period each and spilt a period. The OT bounce went STA way last year.

Slap Shot-
Both teams are basically the same teams returning, as both only lost 5 players from last year. But to say MHS is the only team that has elevated its play from last season would be a ignorant statement and as for firepower, just ask Mr Russell or coach Larson what they think.

Mr Bo Dangles (so nice to hear from you)-
Not sure if NSP will get to see the STA back up goalie and some of the JV players who played in the Simley game, but if they do, I'm sure they will do a fine job.
Last edited by High Flyer on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:58 pm

High Flyer wrote:FM1-
Shots where 37-26 last yr., difference being MHS power play opportunities. I thought both teams won a period each and spilt a period. The OT bounce went STA way last year.

Slap Shot-
Both teams are basically the same teams returning, as both only lost 5 players from last year. But to say MHS is the only team that has elevated its play from last season would be a ignorant statement and as for firepower, just ask Mr Russell or coach Larson what they think.

Mr Bo Dangles (so nice to hear from you)-
Not sure if NSP will get to see the STA back up goalie and some of the JV players who played in the Simley game, but if they do, I'm sure they will do a fine job.
They're all future USHL stars on the STA squad :lol:

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:11 pm

High Flyer wrote:But to say MHS is the only team that has elevated its play from last season...
"Ignorant" this and "kool aid" that - settle down no one insulted your mother. And no one suggested STA hasn't got better also, but relative to 39-1....?

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:11 pm

I will be the first to say a shut out is a very good feat, regardless of the opponent. Top teams routinely give up goals to bottom teams, so having FOUR shut outs in 5 games is impressive. That being said, you Tonka wagon riders are ranting and raving about 39 goals against Marshall, Woodbury, Hibbing, Virginia and Park. Tonka is a good team, but they haven't play anyone yet. They started their season with 5 of the 6 worst teams on their schedule.

St Thomas has played two good teams. I don't know about the rest of the good teams around the state, but when St Thomas plays teams they will most likely beat, they start their back up goalie...as High Flyer pointed out.

Hockeywatcher123

Post by Hockeywatcher123 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:38 pm

I am excited to watch this one. In my mind they are 2 of the top 3 teams in the state. Both retured pretty much all the scoring from last year. I believe that the difference in the game will be between the tonka d and sta forwards. i am excited to see how that battle turns out. In the end it may come doen to how the goalies play. i will take tonka 4-2

Factsmatter1

Post by Factsmatter1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Hockeywatcher123 wrote:I am excited to watch this one. In my mind they are 2 of the top 3 teams in the state. Both retured pretty much all the scoring from last year. I believe that the difference in the game will be between the tonka d and sta forwards. i am excited to see how that battle turns out. In the end it may come doen to how the goalies play. i will take tonka 4-2
HW123,

I have to tell you I think the only advantage is the Tonka D vs STA D. You wouldn't get my money in making a bet on the STA offense vs the Tonka offense. The "Breakdown" is trying to make that story (Tonka D vs. STA offense but I am not buying it. I am not as familiar with Tonka offensive players as the STA offensive players which is why I asked someone to compare Tonka vs St. Thomas forwards line by line in a previous post (no respone yet). In my opinion there is no question St. Thomas has great forwards. I know the story behind most of the forwards, however, if I am Vannelli I have to believe Tonka also has great forwards. Althought there certainly is a lot of press on the Tonka D, I would venture that the untalked about story is the firepower of the forwards based on the stats I have seen. Someone had to score those 39 goals and it wasn't the Tonka D or goalie... Believing otherwise is foolish. If no one chimes in on the Tonka offensive players I will do some homework and report back later..

There are kool-aid drinkers on both sides. When Tonka played Woodbury and Virginia they were both ranked top ten (AA and A) teams at the time. They dropped like rocks after Tonka demolished them. And for those Tonka Kool-aid drinkers I was in town to watched STA play Breck during the blizzard. STA overpowered Breck in a way the score did not reflect. Should be a great fight to the end... :lol:

Snap Shot

Post by Snap Shot » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:32 pm

Lundquist, Schutt, Gardiner, can all be game changers. All the other Tonka forwards can put the puck in the net.

Prochno is like a 4th forward anytime he's on the ice.

Like all good teams, Tonka can throw a brick on any one game. Anything can happen in HS hockey. If they play well they should handle STA.

Tonka 5 STA 2

Enough talk...drop the puck.

High Flyer

Re: HShockeywatcher

Post by High Flyer » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:39 pm

I hear wedding bells

heresaymatters

Post by heresaymatters » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:03 pm

Won't even be close. If we were in Vegas, the books would have the spread at 5 goals in Tonka's favor. I'd still put my $$ on Tonka.

deacon

Post by deacon » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:29 pm

heresaymatters wrote:Won't even be close. If we were in Vegas, the books would have the spread at 5 goals in Tonka's favor. I'd still put my $$ on Tonka.
no.

deacon

Post by deacon » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:29 pm

is this game going to be televised on the interwebs?