Fox Sports North Cancels Rest Of Schedule

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Bigshooter44

Fox Sports North Cancels Rest Of Schedule

Post by Bigshooter44 »

Fox Sports North Has Canceled The Rest Of Boys' High School Hockey Schedule With The Exception Of Hockey Day Minnesota & The Doubleheader In Duluth On Jan 7th.

I Know Someone Who Works There & They Informed Me.

Sad Day For High School Pucks.
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

I know Anthony LaPanta.... I just sent him an email to confirm.... My guess is that Robbie was demanding too much money... :wink:

My gut feeling?? 1) financially too costly, as to why I threaded Channel 45 to pick up coverage 2) I am wondering if vandalism was done to a truck...

I gotta believe they didn't have problems selling advertising..... Maybe the MSHSL was demanding money, if FSN wasn't paying any broadcast rights...
hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 »

Really to bad. I always enjoyed watching the games if I didn't have a game to go watch that night. Hopefully they can find a way to pick this back up in future.
mj79

Post by mj79 »

Man , this really sucks... I alwasy thought they had alot of viewers for this...??
Getemupscout

Post by Getemupscout »

How about Hockey day in Minnesota? will they still broadcast these?
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

Getemupscout wrote:How about Hockey day in Minnesota? will they still broadcast these?
Clearly you didn't read the very first post of this thread. Try that next time before asking questions.
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

This is really too bad. Why cancel in the middle of the season????? I am awfully dissapointed. Lapanta loves HS puck, I wonder if the reason for the cancelation will come out eventually. Maybe lack of viewers, but I know I always enjoyed it. Looks like we had 3 years of hs hockey onTV, and now that no more. Sad day in MS HS hockey
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

Another thread stated that it was due to lack of advertising. Someone in that thread pointed out that a recent game featured the same commercial repeated way too often. Sad, but if you can't sell the games, it doesn't pay to broadcast them.
keep skating

Post by keep skating »

The problem FSN had this year is that they watered down the games and tried to get too many weaker teams on them. Too many high school coaches were pulling strings just to get their team on TV. I will not name names but just look at the teams. I hope they cut back and just do a few top ranked teams. When they first started the ice rinks would be packed and they were prime games. One suggestion would be for the schools involved to sell local advertisement for the game. The ones that sell ads get the games. Money talks BS walks.
lugnutguy21

Post by lugnutguy21 »

mnpuckster wrote:... Looks like we had 3 years of hs hockey onTV, and now that no more. Sad day in MS HS hockey
Here is a thought..... go watch them live. TV is not like being there.
mj79

Post by mj79 »

lugnutguy21 wrote:
mnpuckster wrote:... Looks like we had 3 years of hs hockey onTV, and now that no more. Sad day in MS HS hockey

I think what he was getting at was seeing all the best teams in the state on TV .. Driving to Warroad down to Minneapolis every Tuesday isn't to practical now is it.. Im pretty sure he wasn't talking about driving 5 minutes to a local game... :roll:
GreekChurch

Post by GreekChurch »

mj79 wrote:
lugnutguy21 wrote:

I think what he was getting at was seeing all the best teams in the state on TV .. Driving to Warroad down to Minneapolis every Tuesday isn't to practical now is it.. Im pretty sure he wasn't talking about driving 5 minutes to a local game... :roll:[/quote

Yeah it would be nice to to pick out games out of your area to go watch live, but with your own kids playing 6 -7 night a week, that's just not possible. This is an unfortunate end to a good thing.
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

After how much $$$$ I spent on the holidays, I might want to give my kids up for adoption if it meant saving FSN hockey :idea:
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Or for people out of state.

I think advertising was terrible. I knew about games because of this forum. I ended up telling many people who played high school/college hockey about games and they loved it. There was no "watch team X play team Y in hockey next Tuesday night on FSN" commercial on NBC or FOX during football games on Sunday. People would watch if they knew about it.

On top of that, I do agree with that other poster about Channel 45 picking up a game. Just imagine if Channel 45, FSN and FOX were playing games each once a week. Or if ESPN were to televise Warroad/Moorhead, HM/WBL, STA/CDH, etc on a Saturday like they do high school football games when there's nothing else on. It would be great for hockey. It's the age of technology, where we have games broadcast online now, we need to move forward with more games on, not less.

Yes, seeing it live is the best thing. But if you are out of state, your team doesn't play that night, or a multitude of other reasons one would wanna watch a game on TV, it's great.

Happy Holidays Everyone
Teak

Post by Teak »

Goldfishdude wrote:After how much $$$$ I spent on the holidays, I might want to give my kids up for adoption if it meant saving FSN hockey :idea:
Goldfishdude, I'm interested in adopting. What do you have?

I would like to adopt a 25-year-old who already has a job, money in the bank and, maybe, a house. He or she should be willing to support me in my later years (starting next year) at, oh say 5% to start and moving up 5% per year after that. Anyone like that available??

:oops:
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Teak wrote:
Goldfishdude wrote:After how much $$$$ I spent on the holidays, I might want to give my kids up for adoption if it meant saving FSN hockey :idea:

I would like to adopt a 25-year-old who already has a job, money in the bank and, maybe, a house. He or she should be willing to support me in my later years (starting next year) at, oh say 5% to start and moving up 5% per year after that. Anyone like that available??

You must have only understood half my line..... you missed the "after how much $$$$$ I spent"...... that means unlimited PS3 games and accessories, gift cards, electric shaver, and upgraded cell phone. And OH.. let's not forget the wad of cash I also gave out. That was just this last week alone... Doesn't include the $950 team fees, skate sharpenings, equipment repair, fundraising, pictures, driving to Duluth even though the boy is on IR, Saratoga (JK), $$$ for THEIR dates..

I actually might have to go back to work. :evil:

If my kids were not still in middle school and HS, and were 25 with good jobs, then this Goldfishdude would be out of the frigid state and on a golf course in Arizona...
TCQQL

Re: Fox Sports North Cancels Rest Of Schedule

Post by TCQQL »

Bigshooter44 wrote:Fox Sports North Has Canceled The Rest Of Boys' High School Hockey Schedule With The Exception Of Hockey Day Minnesota & The Doubleheader In Duluth On Jan 7th.

I Know Someone Who Works There & They Informed Me.

Sad Day For High School Pucks.
Even the Schwan Cup games next week?????
wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 »

Goldfishdude wrote:
Teak wrote:

You must have only understood half my line..... you missed the "after how much $$$$$ I spent"...... that means unlimited PS3 games and accessories, gift cards, electric shaver, and upgraded cell phone. And OH.. let's not forget the wad of cash I also gave out. That was just this last week alone... Doesn't include the $950 team fees, skate sharpenings, equipment repair, fundraising, pictures, driving to Duluth even though the boy is on IR, Saratoga (JK), $$$ for THEIR dates..

If my kids were not still in middle school and HS, and were 25 with good jobs, then this Goldfishdude would be out of the frigid state and on a golf course in Arizona...
I'm telling your son everything he's getting for christmas! :lol:
Teak

Post by Teak »

wblhockeyfan8 wrote:
Goldfishdude wrote:
Teak wrote: Goldfishdude, I'm interested in adopting. What do you have?

I'm telling your son everything he's getting for christmas! :lol:
Forget about the kids. I think that I want to adopt Goldfishdude instead!!

:lol:
mj79

Post by mj79 »

So does anyone know if the Schwann cup is still on or did they dump that too?
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

mj79 wrote:So does anyone know if the Schwann cup is still on or did they dump that too?
I am still waiting to see if LaPanta gets back to me.... you know how big shots are???
mj79

Post by mj79 »

Goldfishdude wrote:
mj79 wrote:So does anyone know if the Schwann cup is still on or did they dump that too?
I am still waiting to see if LaPanta gets back to me.... you know how big shots are???
haha :)
O-townClown

2008-09

Post by O-townClown »

I remember last year the northerners were blasting the slate of games. Not enough northern teams for their taste.

Pointing out the obvious increase in production costs and smaller pool of motivated viewers didn't go over well.
Be kind. Rewind.
mj79

Re: 2008-09

Post by mj79 »

O-townClown wrote:I remember last year the northerners were blasting the slate of games. Not enough northern teams for their taste.

Pointing out the obvious increase in production costs and smaller pool of motivated viewers didn't go over well.
im from the north, and didnt complain even tho 75%+ of the games were from the south.. and multiple teams had multiple games on tv.. Then they put stupid games noone cares to watch on there ( basically the first 3 of 5 ) plus denfeld CEC .. blahhh , STUPID , who wants to watch garbage teams? East/ CEC if anything.. at least its a rivalry.. They had no advertisement , 1/2 the games weren't all that great and FSN had no clue on how to pick what went on TV.. PLUS 90% of the viewing was in mpls/st paul.. they didnt wanna make to many trips up north
MNHockeyFan

Re: 2008-09

Post by MNHockeyFan »

mj79 wrote:PLUS 90% of the viewing was in mpls/st paul.. they didnt wanna make to many trips up north
Apparently they were losing money as it was. If you're going to add in travel and hotel expenses for the production crew, going up north to televise would only make a bad situation worse. Plus most of the viewing audience (population) is in the Twin Cities, and most would rather watch teams they are more familiar with.

Too bad for us interested fans. I had printed the game schedule and kept it right next to my TV.