Craig Norwich resigns from SPA on Saturday

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Saywhat?03

Post by Saywhat?03 »

All I can say is that I know for sure that some student athletes get relief on there tuition bill. If they didnt they wouldnt be able to get the players that they have. And also a handful of these players come from families that arent that fortunate. It is what it is.
pipes3030

Post by pipes3030 »

When talking about financial aid from SPA vs other privates, one should keep in mind that SPA's tuition is about $23,500 vs. only $10,100 at Hill-Murray, and $9,600 at Cretin. Even with financial aid many families are not able to afford the school. Seems like Norwich was trying to do the impossible in attempting to rivive a once strong program. Too bad he couldn't control his temper on the bench, it seemed like he was getting somewhere last year.
Doglover

Post by Doglover »

No way is SPA going to want to recreate themselves as a hockey powerhouse if that means lowering the academic standards. They are an elite prep school in MN with an incredible reputation and tradition. Norwich should have maybe tried another venue if that was his ultimate goal. Is MM still looking for a head master? I wish him luck in the future.
Saywhat?03

Post by Saywhat?03 »

No way is SPA going to want to recreate themselves as a hockey powerhouse if that means lowering the academic standards. They are an elite prep school in MN with an incredible reputation and tradition. Norwich should have maybe tried another venue if that was his ultimate goal. Is MM still looking for a head master? I wish him luck in the future.
No one was talking about lowering the academic standards for anyone. With the cost of the SPA so much higher than other private schools, it would make sense in certain situations to lower the cost of tuition for a young kid with good grades and great athletic talent who would otherwise not be able to afford 23K a year.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

Saywhat?03 wrote:
No one was talking about lowering the academic standards for anyone. With the cost of the SPA so much higher than other private schools, it would make sense in certain situations to lower the cost of tuition for a young kid with good grades and great athletic talent who would otherwise not be able to afford 23K a year.
Kinda Like Breck?
pipes3030

Post by pipes3030 »

flatontheice wrote:
Saywhat?03 wrote:
Kinda Like Breck?
No, you'd have to have kids from Sweden then...
DotaDangler

Post by DotaDangler »

SPA gives some big tuition breaks for some athletes. A knew two brothers, twins actually, who graduated a cpl years ago that paid about half price.
Imagine a world...with no Wisconsin
hockeyboys

Post by hockeyboys »

who is the coach now? will be hard to recruit to spa without a big name coach
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

johnnyquest wrote:If I am interpreting some of these posts correctly, is there an implication that the Beniks, Kohls & Wohlers are "academically challenged" to the point where SPA said "no" ? and is the "hardship" exception a financial one or an academic based consideration ?
johnnyquest,

that's what I was thinking. On top of that, a good school shouldn't need good students to be good, you should be able to develop anyone to do well. And on the student side, if they truly wanted to play there, they'd do what they needed to.
Saywhat?03

Post by Saywhat?03 »

johnnyquest wrote:
If I am interpreting some of these posts correctly, is there an implication that the Beniks, Kohls & Wohlers are "academically challenged" to the point where SPA said "no" ? and is the "hardship" exception a financial one or an academic based consideration ?

johnnyquest,

that's what I was thinking. On top of that, a good school shouldn't need good students to be good, you should be able to develop anyone to do well. And on the student side, if they truly wanted to play there, they'd do what they needed to.
From a parent point of view if your son is very talented for his age, you would like to see him go to a program that has a lot of winning potential. This way your kid will get more exposure naturally. It sounds like SPA had hired a high profile coach to get some of the talent that would have been needed, but the administration wouldn't loosen the "reigns" in order to attract some of the top talent. I keep asking myself this question, Why would SPA hire a former shattuck coach and great hockey player/mind to coach there team knowing fare well what shattuck does to get the hockey players that they do get there?? But still not budge a little on the academic side? Seems to be some mixed messages!
mch

Post by mch »

hockeyboys wrote:who is the coach now? will be hard to recruit to spa without a big name coach
Joe Dziedzic will coach the team for the remainder of the season.
hockeyboys

Post by hockeyboys »

Joe Dziedzic will coach the team for the remainder of the season
WOW :!: That's a heck of a replacement. Dziedzic is a great coach.