Simley goalie saves 66 against STA

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Saywhat?03

Simley goalie saves 66 against STA

Post by Saywhat?03 »

Two pretty significant feats here:

Simleys goalie makes a wopping 66 saves in the game

STA fired a wopping 68 shots on net, albeit against Simley.

Anyone at the game, did Simley makes it over STA's blue line for longer than 5 minutes?
Moose Jaw, SK

Post by Moose Jaw, SK »

That's very impressive. What was the final score?
For the Love of the Game.
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

It was actually 73 shots.

Final was 7-1 STA
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

That's a 90.4% save percentage. How old is he? What does his future hold? I'm sure there's no defense in front of him and he's doing that all on his own; he must be quite good.
Twin Cities puck21

Post by Twin Cities puck21 »

He's a Senior. Here are some other notable games by him this year.
Hill Murray 69 shots and 63 saves with .913 Save pct.
South Saint Paul 44 shots and 41 saves with .932 Save pct.
East Ride 45 Shots and 43 saves with .956 save pct.
Tartan 59 shots with 54 saves with .915 save pct.

He was the other goalie on the Bantam A with Wilcox, when Wilcox was in 8th grade. And many people from Inver Grove Heights feel that Nelson is just as good or better then Wilcox.
HShockeywatcher

Wow, that's amazing. Too bad he doesn't have a better supporting cast...or didn't go to the Class A private school in his conference 8)

Any colleges showing interest, or will it be juniors next year?
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

I have seen this kid in games against H-M the last 2 years and he is solid.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Here is where it all goes wrong. A kid like this who sees 40 - 70 shots a game and plays outstanding in loses gets no recognition. But a goalie like Shaughnessy who faces 10 - 20 shots gets invited to the Wild skills competition.

Hopefully some college will see these statistics and give the kid a second look.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Congrats! I saw this and I was like "Wow!"
thiscrazygame

Post by thiscrazygame »

BodyShots wrote:Here is where it all goes wrong. A kid like this who sees 40 - 70 shots a game and plays outstanding in loses gets no recognition. But a goalie like Shaughnessy who faces 10 - 20 shots gets invited to the Wild skills competition.

Hopefully some college will see these statistics and give the kid a second look.
Hopefully he is playing in the Great 8 tournament.
Saywhat?03

Post by Saywhat?03 »

HShockeywatcher Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:55 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, that's amazing. Too bad he doesn't have a better supporting cast...or didn't go to the Class A private school in his conference

I love people that always find there way to take shots at private schools no matter the post. You either:

A) Got beat by a private school at some point in your life and still cant get over it.

B) Wish you had gone to a private school.

C) Your son never made a private school team, or wasnt "asked to come"

D) Always need someone or something to blame your loss on rather just accepting it.
Saywhat?03

Post by Saywhat?03 »

Consider the pot stirred :lol: :shock: :lol:
HShockeywatcher

Saywhat?03 wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, that's amazing. Too bad he doesn't have a better supporting cast...or didn't go to the Class A private school in his conference

I love people that always find there way to take shots at private schools no matter the post. You either:

A) Got beat by a private school at some point in your life and still cant get over it.

D) Always need someone or something to blame your loss on rather just accepting it.
Wow, someone who doesn't know of me.

No, I went to the Class A private school in Simley's conference and, as good as they are, their goalie is not good. With this kid, they could probably be one of the top teams in state, if not the top team.
I choose "E) None of the above" \:D/
pantherfan

Post by pantherfan »

Nelson is very good. Hope some schools are looking at him,
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

Saywhat?03 wrote:

Wow - got our nose stuck up in the air, do we? If public schools aren't good enough, why don't you guys go play hockey by yourself, too? Couldn't make it financially that's why!
observer

Post by observer »

My observation is that a lot of these private school players, and families, have issues. That's why they're there. Look closely, and think about it, and you'll understand what I mean. Not all the kids, but many of the kids.
stpaul

Private schools

Post by stpaul »

If by "issues" you mean these families and kids have a desire for a good academics, expectations, smaller class sizes, sports, music, theatre, discipline, religion, service and a great community... then yes, private school families have "issues". If not, I have no idea what your talking about.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Twin Cities puck21 wrote:He's a Senior. Here are some other notable games by him this year.
Hill Murray 69 shots and 63 saves with .913 Save pct.
South Saint Paul 44 shots and 41 saves with .932 Save pct.
East Ride 45 Shots and 43 saves with .956 save pct.
Tartan 59 shots with 54 saves with .915 save pct.

He was the other goalie on the Bantam A with Wilcox, when Wilcox was in 8th grade. And many people from Inver Grove Heights feel that Nelson is just as good or better then Wilcox.
WOW!!!!!!!
RBKhockey77

Post by RBKhockey77 »

The reason that the kid doesn't get recognition is because he isn't as consistent as a kid like Shaughnessy. 9/17 of this kids games he didn't stop 90% of the shots he faced, Shaughnessy has only saved less than 90% in 3/16 games. Goals against is a different thing, but a goalie who is as good as you think he is, he should be stopping over 90% of the shots every game. By no means am I saying that stats are the only thing that determines a good goaltender, but there is a reason that Shaughnessy gets recognition, because he is the top goalie on one of the top teams in the state, and probably the country as well.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

RBKhockey77 wrote:The reason that the kid doesn't get recognition is because he isn't as consistent as a kid like Shaughnessy. 9/17 of this kids games he didn't stop 90% of the shots he faced, Shaughnessy has only saved less than 90% in 3/16 games. Goals against is a different thing, but a goalie who is as good as you think he is, he should be stopping over 90% of the shots every game. By no means am I saying that stats are the only thing that determines a good goaltender, but there is a reason that Shaughnessy gets recognition, because he is the top goalie on one of the top teams in the state, and probably the country as well.
Difficulty of shot is a big thing...... Maybe he would have better stats on that team........... Hard to know.
observer

Post by observer »

No, I didn't mean any of those things.
SPUDNUT

Re: Private schools

Post by SPUDNUT »

stpaul wrote:If by "issues" you mean these families and kids have a desire for a good academics, expectations, smaller class sizes, sports, music, theatre, discipline, religion, service and a great community... then yes, private school families have "issues". If not, I have no idea what your talking about.
I don't doubt for a minute that you don't have any idea what anybody's talking about !

Kudos to the Simley kid - he already has more experience than most other goalies.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

RBKhockey77 wrote:The reason that the kid doesn't get recognition is because he isn't as consistent as a kid like Shaughnessy. 9/17 of this kids games he didn't stop 90% of the shots he faced, Shaughnessy has only saved less than 90% in 3/16 games. Goals against is a different thing, but a goalie who is as good as you think he is, he should be stopping over 90% of the shots every game. By no means am I saying that stats are the only thing that determines a good goaltender, but there is a reason that Shaughnessy gets recognition, because he is the top goalie on one of the top teams in the state, and probably the country as well.
:lol: :lol: Help, I've fallen and can't get up. :lol: :lol:
DotaDangler

Post by DotaDangler »

Its really hard to judge goalies with the teams overall talent difference. If you kept everything the same, and put Shaughnessy on Simley's team, how would he do? Better or worse? I know there aren't any real answers, but it's interesting to think about.

As for people at private schools having "issues" what a dumb blanket statement.
Imagine a world...with no Wisconsin
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

DotaDangler wrote:
Its really hard to judge goalies with the teams overall talent difference. If you kept everything the same, and put Shaughnessy on Simley's team, how would he do? Better or worse? I know there aren't any real answers, but it's interesting to think about.

As for people at private schools having "issues" what a dumb blanket statement.
Since we are talking about private schools, maybe you should change the word to '"Snuggie" blanket.... You know how coddled the privates are??? :wink:

Relax.... I am kidding. I spent 6 years in a private school, and my sons would be going to H-M if I could afford to send them there....