Idea for a better quality tournament

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

clutterbuck22

Idea for a better quality tournament

Post by clutterbuck22 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:54 pm

With section 6AA stacked this year and many other sections stacked as well, it's a shame we only get to see one team move on from the section. What if we expanded the tournament to 16 teams or 24 teams per A and AA. 8 teams automatically get in by winning their section, while the other teams are selected by a group of coaches. What do you guys think about this?

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:56 pm

Hmmmm, an alternative to the Tourney's current format? A novel idea. :roll:

blueblood

different approach

Post by blueblood » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:54 pm

The problem is having fixed regions.

Historically the top teams reside in the metro area with a few good outstate northern teams. Add the best AA private schools and you've got several teams battling for 8 precious spots.

Sorry southern teams, but you take up a spot that is GIVEN to you by the MSHSL.

Let's go back to the 8 team format.
Play Like a Champion Today

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Lets quit crying about it because it will never change, or if they do make some sort of change then you all will complain about that too. If you want to see tournament quality games then hit the section semi's and finals.
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:20 pm

HappyHockeyFan wrote:Lets quit crying about it because it will never change, or if they do make some sort of change then you all will complain about that too. If you want to see tournament quality games then hit the section semi's and finals.
Couldn't agree more. In the long run it's a good thing to have all geographic areas of the State given a chance, even at the expense of some strong teams having to compete in strong sections not making it in any given year. If it ever became a Twin Cities only dominated tournament, it would not be good for the growth of the game.

defense

Post by defense » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:43 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:Lets quit crying about it because it will never change, or if they do make some sort of change then you all will complain about that too. If you want to see tournament quality games then hit the section semi's and finals.
Couldn't agree more. In the long run it's a good thing to have all geographic areas of the State given a chance, even at the expense of some strong teams having to compete in strong sections not making it in any given year. If it ever became a Twin Cities only dominated tournament, it would not be good for the growth of the game.
Kinda like in the AA tournement.

scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:16 pm

this is the MINNESOTA State Hockey Tournament, you have to respect honoring the state as a whole and not neglect certain regions because they don't compete as well. having each region of the state able to compete in the tournament is what makes it great, in my mind second comes the quality of play which either way is going to be better than any other state high school tournament in the nation

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:00 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Hockey players and fans seem to continue to have this "hockey's different" attitude, when in fact it is not. There are 8 sections in every sport, 8 representatives from every sport who have won their section title, etc, etc.

That being said, in the mythological world where "hockey's different" you could have more sections, more teams at state, all regions represented, while allowing more top teams in. So, with 16 teams, there would still be a southern team, a northern team in years like this where it's down, etc, etc, but there would be more of our top teams.

Would it increase the quality of games? Possibly. Would it be better? Probably not.
The thing it would do is not give top seeds so much of an advantage over the second seed...but then what's the point of the regular season?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :idea:
scarlethockey33 wrote:this is the MINNESOTA State Hockey Tournament, you have to respect honoring the state as a whole and not neglect certain regions because they don't compete as well. having each region of the state able to compete in the tournament is what makes it great, in my mind second comes the quality of play which either way is going to be better than any other state high school tournament in the nation
Playing devil's advocate; it is the Minnesota state hockey tournament, which is why we'd want the 8 best teams to be represented. Why not seed like the NCAA in basketball or hockey so we could actually see the top teams in the state? Why would we want a team who isn't even one of the state top half of teams to be represented to simply represent the region?
Personally, if Alaska happens to have basketball teams or New Mexico happens to have hockey teams, I really don't give a rip to see them get blown out in the D1 tournaments just so they can be represented...

Rookie19

Post by Rookie19 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:14 pm

Just go back to the old eight and get rid of tier II tourney that would improve this tourney.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Pioneerprideguy wrote:Hmmmm, an alternative to the Tourney's current format? A novel idea. :roll:
This is a first!! I've never heard this put forth before. :mrgreen:

This could be fun. Let's see what happens. Popcorn, anyone?

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

blueblood

state

Post by blueblood » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:51 pm

HSHW:

You said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If you're the HSHW, did you forget your history of HS hockey in MN?

I seem to recall a single class format. Didn't Rochester JM knock off Edina? Didn't Greenway have a player named Ken Gernander and the whole crowd rooted for the 'wave?

I think I was at those games along with the Edina vs. Roseau battles. Well, it wasn't broke when there were 8 teams back then. All parts of the state were well represented.

The MSHSL tried to "fix" it and came up with the Tier I/Tier II debacle. When that didn't work they tried to "fix" it again.
Play Like a Champion Today

schwang17

Post by schwang17 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:18 pm

So basically HSHW should "fix" his name is what you're saying?

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:20 pm

east hockey wrote:
Pioneerprideguy wrote:Hmmmm, an alternative to the Tourney's current format? A novel idea. :roll:
This is a first!! I've never heard this put forth before. :mrgreen:

This could be fun. Let's see what happens. Popcorn, anyone?

Lee
I'll take a large with butter, please. :D

Here is my attempt from two years ago. Best I can do: http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... tournament

PoNd HocKey ChAmP67

Post by PoNd HocKey ChAmP67 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:37 pm

scarlethockey33 wrote:this is the MINNESOTA State Hockey Tournament, you have to respect honoring the state as a whole and not neglect certain regions because they don't compete as well. having each region of the state able to compete in the tournament is what makes it great, in my mind second comes the quality of play which either way is going to be better than any other state high school tournament in the nation
completely agree with you! I mean we are talking about changing the the Minnesota state high school hockey tournament, the GREATEST show on earth. Nothing compares

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:44 pm

Happy best post you have ever made and you are 100% correct on your comment.

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:50 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Happy best post you have ever made and you are 100% correct on your comment.
I agree. This is one of the dumbest of the annual threads. The only changes you will ever possibly see will involve watering it down more. It has a better chance of becoming a three class tourney than one with the 8 best teams.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:05 am

Amen ActualFormerPlayer we live in the "everyone gets a trophy" generation so 3 class system is most likely coming to a hockey rink near you. Only a matter of time before the "brains" at MSHSL make the move. You are correct sir!

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:36 am

There are not enough teams total to justify a third class so that's not going to happen and it's also a long shot that they would expand the current AA field to say 16 teams. Before they do any of that they'd tinker with the sections to try and spread it around the metro, but who knows if they ever take that route.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:33 am

Slap Shot wrote:There are not enough teams total to justify a third class so that's not going to happen and it's also a long shot that they would expand the current AA field to say 16 teams. Before they do any of that they'd tinker with the sections to try and spread it around the metro, but who knows if they ever take that route.
Why do people care how many teams actually get the opportunity to play at the X? Technically they're 71 team (AA) and 86 team (A) tournaments that start at section play in games. We come from a state where every team makes it to the play offs, which I think would be the thing to change to make it better. But really, it's all the state playoffs. Sure, there will be more fans at the quarterfinal with a 1AA team than the 6AA final, but does it mean there will be better hockey? No. Regardless of how you look at it or the format, one team has to win 6 (or 7 if a play in team ended up winning) games in a row while every other team in their class gets a loss.

Like I stated, what you could do is reformat the regular season so each team plays each other team in their section just once. The 4 teams with the most wins goes onto the "state playoffs."
That being said, we'd have to do it in all sports, and it'd be impossible in football without getting rid of conferences.

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:58 am

Go to a field of 64 similar to March Madness. Have a north, south, east, west bracket, and seed the teams 1-16 in 8 regions. Play the games at sites such as the mini Ralph, DECC, IRA, Hibbing, for the north and utilize some of the great venues in the the other areas. You'd most likely have your better teams survive for a final 8 at the X come March but you'd have the potential for some great David vs Goliath matchups and you'd be able to get rid of all the Class A vs AA nonsense that goes on every year.
Character is who you are when no one is watching

my2cents

Post by my2cents » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:40 am

The current system gave us some overflow crowds and great section finals last year like Edina vs Jeff, Tonka vs EP, Blaine vs Centennial etc.

Why change that?

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:33 am

GR3343 wrote:Go to a field of 64 similar to March Madness. Have a north, south, east, west bracket, and seed the teams 1-16 in 8 regions. Play the games at sites such as the mini Ralph, DECC, IRA, Hibbing, for the north and utilize some of the great venues in the the other areas. You'd most likely have your better teams survive for a final 8 at the X come March but you'd have the potential for some great David vs Goliath matchups and you'd be able to get rid of all the Class A vs AA nonsense that goes on every year.
Kinda like the 64 team bracket you get when you start at section quarter finals...

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:37 am

In all likelyhood the tournament will change - probably next year - to a Friday - Saturday event with the quarterfinals played in varying sites on the Saturday before.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:23 am

elliott70 wrote:In all likelyhood the tournament will change - probably next year - to a Friday - Saturday event with the quarterfinals played in varying sites on the Saturday before.
Why?

This would be really good for the Class A games as attendance would go way up I would think.

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:11 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:
elliott70 wrote:In all likelyhood the tournament will change - probably next year - to a Friday - Saturday event with the quarterfinals played in varying sites on the Saturday before.
Why?

This would be really good for the Class A games as attendance would go way up I would think.

They may even have to open up the Club level. :wink: