Class Act!

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

ubugme wrote:
inthestands wrote: Are you trying to stand me out in a crowd?
Your trying to win an argument with HSHW. You don't need my help to stand out...

It bugs me that people go round and round with him...
Bugs me too. Repeat the same dumb things over and over despite going nowhere or try to make me look dumb with comments that don't make sense while taking apart legitimate threads. Oh well, that's immature people for ya. Breck's program is small, they have senior on JV. Sweet. Move on. :roll:
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

It still bugs me that someone would make the comment that this school has a NO CUT policy.

If you only have 35 kids tryout, then you need all 35 to make a Varsity and JV team. So, of course your not going to cut anybody, regardless of age or class.

If you have 50 kids tryout, you are not going to keep all 50 and skate 20 on Varsity and 30 on JV. Excess Seniors would be cut.

Now fly away little bug! :lol:
Spooge

Post by Spooge »

Doglover wrote:Congrats to the Breck coach and I agree this was a class act for Senior Nite. So many of you seem clueless about private schools where the student is valued and their personal development is the top priority. I don't understand the negative comments on this thread. The coach honored the seniors - that's what senior night is all about. I like that they don't cut kids - has nothing to do with paying to play. It may come as a shock but some families actually choose an education above athletics but some of these students also enjoy playing sports. What harm is there in letting them play with their school friends on a JV team if they aren't talented enough to play on a state contending Varsity squad? Priorities are a bit out of line on here I'm afraid. I take much greater issue with the HS coach who schedules a tough game on senior night and then plays a younger goalie or starts Juniors over the Seniors. I've even seen them sit a Varisty Senior the entire Senior Night! Sorry - but in the long run those coaches do a whole lot more damage to their kids and it usually backfires since all the players get angry that the Seniors get embarrassed by a "win at all costs" coach.

Kudos to the Breck coach and to the Seniors (both JV and Varsity) who were honored at Senior Night. Good luck the remainder of the season (not a Breck parent)
:shock: YIKES!!! Nice rant :cry:
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

HShockeywatcher wrote: Bugs me too. Repeat the same dumb things over and over despite going nowhere or try to make me look dumb with comments that don't make sense while taking apart legitimate threads. Oh well, that's immature people for ya. Breck's program is small, they have senior on JV. Sweet. Move on. :roll:

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
ubugme

Post by ubugme »

It bugs me when somebody else finds the perfect irony picture before I do.
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

Beautiful picture of the Class A Rankings, ERE :!: :!: :!: :idea:
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Here I was thinking that Pot-Kettle-Black would suffice and then Empire's gotta go overboard with a picture and everything. Well played sir.
It's hard to win when you always lose.
saucepass

Post by saucepass »

Small schools need to fill the bench by begging kids to play even if they haven't skated for 5 years. This just happens to be a year that 13 seniors are playing Varsity. The 3 or 4 seniors on JV probably are filling space. I saw a Breck JV game this year and they had some freshman playing(probably their 24th kid on roster) in a conference game(easier game) that couldn't make peewee b2 this year and would get killed if he played against a good team(Totino, St Thomas, Shattuck). You know what, the JV will need that kid the next 3 years to produce a full squad.

Class AA...won't happen, however you slice it, I don't think Breck has much more than 100 students per class. So if they have a near 50/50 girls/boys ratio, then they have 200 potential boys to play hockey. And out of those they still have other sports to fill. And don't forget, it's an educational school where not all students are athletes. So, the numbers will never be there for JV to make cuts or to make a jump to AA.

Now with that said, they can play and beat AA teams, so let the A state champs battle the AA state champs for a true state champ. No AA team would agree to that...chickens!
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

ChrisK wrote:Here I was thinking that Pot-Kettle-Black would suffice and then Empire's gotta go overboard with a picture and everything. Well played sir.
Every now and then, somebody has to try. And then the next time, someone else tries. And so it goes.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

saucepass wrote:Small schools need to fill the bench by begging kids to play even if they haven't skated for 5 years. This just happens to be a year that 13 seniors are playing Varsity. The 3 or 4 seniors on JV probably are filling space. I saw a Breck JV game this year and they had some freshman playing(probably their 24th kid on roster) in a conference game(easier game) that couldn't make peewee b2 this year and would get killed if he played against a good team(Totino, St Thomas, Shattuck). You know what, the JV will need that kid the next 3 years to produce a full squad.

Class AA...won't happen, however you slice it, I don't think Breck has much more than 100 students per class. So if they have a near 50/50 girls/boys ratio, then they have 200 potential boys to play hockey. And out of those they still have other sports to fill. And don't forget, it's an educational school where not all students are athletes. So, the numbers will never be there for JV to make cuts or to make a jump to AA.

Now with that said, they can play and beat AA teams, so let the A state champs battle the AA state champs for a true state champ. No AA team would agree to that...chickens!
Numbers have nothing to do with playing Class AA in hockey, look at Roseau and other private schools like Hill Murray, Benilde or Holy Angels. If Breck wants to be considered an elite high school hockey program they need to move up.
It's hard to win when you always lose.
ubugme

Post by ubugme »

ChrisK wrote:
Numbers have nothing to do with playing Class AA in hockey, look at Roseau and other private schools like Hill Murray, Benilde or Holy Angels. If Breck wants to be considered an elite high school hockey program they need to move up.
Mr. K, they like St. Thomas, don't want to be an elite hockey high school.

They only want to be perceived as one. Class A fans holler chicken only from a safe distance.

Oh, and your sig line bugs me....
wazzy34

Post by wazzy34 »

Ok, so I can obviously tell that so many of you don't have a clue what you're talking about. I am on Breck's JV team and I was one of the seniors that participated in that game. As a side note I was the one who scored my first two goals ever on varsity that night. Yes, I am realistic about the fact that I will never play varsity again and it was a one-time-only deal, but it was a great experience.

For those of you that don't agree with the no cut policy, you have to take into account that when I was a freshman, we only had 10 players on JV and have gradually worked up to over twenty now. Not everyone always gets to play, but those who don't can barely skate. Next time you want to slam a great hockey program and their policies, think twice.
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

wazzy34 wrote:Ok, so I can obviously tell that so many of you don't have a clue what you're talking about. I am on Breck's JV team and I was one of the seniors that participated in that game. As a side note I was the one who scored my first two goals ever on varsity that night. Yes, I am realistic about the fact that I will never play varsity again and it was a one-time-only deal, but it was a great experience.

For those of you that don't agree with the no cut policy, you have to take into account that when I was a freshman, we only had 10 players on JV and have gradually worked up to over twenty now. Not everyone always gets to play, but those who don't can barely skate. Next time you want to slam a great hockey program and their policies, think twice.
Wazzy, nice job and great response. People that haven't been in your situation have no idea what issues lie beneath the surface.

Keep the good attitude, and good luck.
hockeyrocks

Post by hockeyrocks »

wazzy34 wrote:Ok, so I can obviously tell that so many of you don't have a clue what you're talking about. I am on Breck's JV team and I was one of the seniors that participated in that game. As a side note I was the one who scored my first two goals ever on varsity that night. Yes, I am realistic about the fact that I will never play varsity again and it was a one-time-only deal, but it was a great experience.

Very well said. And congrats on your big night :!:
HShockeywatcher

I don't know who you are targeting with your comment, but I will respond for myself.

I didn't mean any disrespect to anyone, nor do I now. In programs that have enough numbers to fill two teams, if a senior is not good enough to make varsity, JV should be reserved for development. In a program, though, that cannot fill teams, if plays want to stick around and play, that's totally fine.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Thanks for your response and perspective. Now we all understand that at some point winning has to be a key element of any program but there also is a space for participation and at places like Breck they understand that or so it seems. In many other sports at just about every school they let as many kids that show up participate at the under varsity level no matter the grade level, I realize in a sport with limited spots that can't be the case always but it's nice when it can be. I'm glad they choose to keep kids and field a program at the JV level and judging by the quoted post at least someone else agrees with me.

Congratulations on your day, I'm sure it's something you'll always remember.
Doglover

Post by Doglover »

Another "class act". Congratulations and best of luck in the future!!
salol44

Re: Class Act!

Post by salol44 »

coyotehockey wrote:Do you want to hear something impressive.

Last night was Breck's senoir night.

Coach Les Larson recognized the senior class at tonight’s Breck-Saints game by taking an intentional “too many players” penalty at the start of the game. It seems the Mustangs had 16 seniors on the ice for the opening faceoff, that’s the 13 from the varsity and 3 from the JV who were seeing their first varsity action at the drop of the puck. Coach Larson was hoping that Breck could jump out to an early lead so he could give the JV players extensive playing time in the game. Which they did.

:lol:

Last year the Breck girls coach Lenny Vanelli pulled his senior goalie on senior night going into overtime on a non-conference game because he wanted to instill more confidence into his team.....it ended in a tie

Classless! :cry:
Thread has gotten off topic but to the OP....That was a very classless move, who would put 16 players on the ice to start a game......that is absolutely retarded. All that does is make the game a circus and disrespect the other team. Then they go on to score 14 goals, nice job coach, you are the man =D> . Maybe the coach should have played the entire jv team as a sign of respect, that would have given them valuable experience plus it might have been a great game. Better yet, next time let the girls varsity play....
wazzy34

Post by wazzy34 »

Thread has gotten off topic but to the OP....That was a very classless move, who would put 16 players on the ice to start a game......that is absolutely retarded. All that does is make the game a circus and disrespect the other team. Then they go on to score 14 goals, nice job coach, you are the man =D> . Maybe the coach should have played the entire jv team as a sign of respect, that would have given them valuable experience plus it might have been a great game. Better yet, next time let the girls varsity play....
This is exactly the kind of post I was trying to stop. Do you not understand that some people, such as myself, never had the chance to play in a varsity game before and why would the coach do this in any other game except one that he knew he would win. The original face-off, which I took, was obviously staged and everyone knew it. Why are you getting mad that we started the game with a penalty? Besides, they had a couple really good scoring chances on that powerplay.

In response to your other comments, if you think it would be a good idea to play our whole JV team against their varsity, that is what I call disrespect for the other team. That basically says "we don't think enough of you to put our best players on the ice." And to your last comment, that is just stupid.
HShockeywatcher

wazzy34 wrote:
This is exactly the kind of post I was trying to stop. Do you not understand that some people, such as myself, never had the chance to play in a varsity game before and why would the coach do this in any other game except one that he knew he would win. The original face-off, which I took, was obviously staged and everyone knew it. Why are you getting mad that we started the game with a penalty? Besides, they had a couple really good scoring chances on that powerplay.

In response to your other comments, if you think it would be a good idea to play our whole JV team against their varsity, that is what I call disrespect for the other team. That basically says "we don't think enough of you to put our best players on the ice." And to your last comment, that is just stupid.
But "we think so much of you that we're going to start the game a man down" is okay?

Personally I have no issue with what happened. I do understand what is being said about it happening with a conference opponent and not when they played Lourdes, for example, which would've been a much better gesture.

Everyone just needs to grow up and move on. I asked a simple question that has been blown way out of proportion.
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

Wazzy, don't worry about the back and forth here or on any other message board.

Take for example the parental input during a hockey game.. It's similar to their input here. Very few speak from educated experience, and mostly opinions through what they feel is best for their kids.

Well intentions, but many times misguided.

I'm happy you and the other seniors had a good night. The game process is between you and your coaches, and no one else.
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

apparently the winona coach did the same thing today against Austin. Dont't know if he got the idea from here or not but the winhawks started with all 15 seniors lined up around the center faceoff circle
defense

Post by defense »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
inthestands wrote:If we take a realistic view of JV programs, how many of them are "completely" geared toward Varsity developement?

I wonder what the opinions would be if that senior on the JV squad lived at your house?

While I don't normally like to see a program do things for the minority, it's also a bad message to send to a player that has been involved since they are 4 or 5 years old to be sent home their final season.
I agree. For a lot of players JV is for players who won't ever make varsity in high school hockey.

They weren't sent home their final season...they played their final season last year. This isn't a toddler league where everyone gets a medal, this is high school hockey in the state of hockey. There are plenty of other places you can play, but seniors really don't have a place on JV.

If he were in my house I'd probably tell him to join another league outside of school if he wanted to continue playing. If he was only good enough to make the JV as a senior, then there would be some other issues at play, so maybe not playing competitive anyone is an option.
Yeah, that's the way, dad, tell your kid to give up his dreams.... way to go..."no son, you aren't good enough to be on varsity, go down to the lake and play some pond hockey if you like, but its over for varsity"....
Let's not forget that in some cases a senior on JV may have a shot to get called into the lineup...that is likely just as important as developing players in JV, keeping them ready to go when the varsity needs them....
Let's not forget that for the majority of players, this is the final season they will play......
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

I think taking a deliberate penalty to start the game was a bad idea. I think it shows up the other team no matter who they are.

A better way to handle it would have been sure all of the seniors played the game and maybe have the JV kids start. Also the school could have a policy that says any player that sticks with the program through their senior year gets a varsity letter.
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

Here's an idea. Petition to get into a tougher conference, go independant or play the lesser teams in the conference 1 time. Great you keep all your players but the ice is tilted one way heavily.

Step up to AA. end of story.