Class A Rankings 2-21-10

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who is the top team in state right now?

Mahtomedi
10%
Breck
36%
St Thomas
19%
Warroad
17%
Hermantown
19%

Total votes: 42

HShockeywatcher

Class A Rankings 2-21-10

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Next week there will be around 20 teams left and they will all be ranked. By default, many deserving teams from this list will be gone. The coming week should be very interesting.

The top is very hard, as there are 6 games between the top 8 teams, 4 that are conference games, and only 3 games among the top 5, 2 that are conference games. Warroad has played one team in my top 10. Even the top 3's common games are difficult to sort out.

1. Mahtomedi (20-5)
While the Zephyrs are probably not the best team in Class A, they should be the top seed in 4A and after beating the best team, they rise a couple spots. Would beating St Thomas twice be enough of them to get the 1st seed at state?

2. Breck (23-2)
A team the Mustangs beat twice beat the team they lost to in OT so they come up. They continue to win, as I expect they will do in the coming weeks with a not so close final to seal their 1st or 2nd seed at state.

3. St Thomas Academy (20-5)
Probably still the best team in state with an off game, but I base my rankings on results. The 4A games will be quite good. With them probably having the #2 seed, they avoid a possible tough game with Spring Lake Park and probably won’t be challenged until the final, although nothing is set in stone.

4. Warroad (21-4)
The Warriors have shown lately they will probably dominate 8A and definitely be seeded at state. They have weaknesses but seem to have tightened those up; Warroad will be a tough team for anyone to beat.

5. Hermantown (22-3)
Overtime games with Cloquet and Denfeld and a one goal win over Hibbing? Three recent one goal games, one being a loss; I’d drop them farther if anyone lower deserved to come up. They will definitely be seeded if they make state, but I wouldn’t count them as a shoe in, nor would I say it will be higher than #4 anymore.

6. Alexandria (18-6-1)
A recent loss to Moorhead by 1 goal supports keeping the Cardinals at #6. They have shown they can compete with anyone. Hopefully the players do not overlook their game with Sartell

7. International Falls (15-8-2)
The Bronces only losses in their 13 games this calendar year are to Hermantown, Grand Rapids and Roseau. Definitely not someone to count out for any games in the postseason; can they beat Hibbing again?

8. Sartell-St Stephen (16-7-2)
The Sabres lost in OT to Brainerd recently but will put up a great fight to represent 6A in state. They can definitely play with anyone in state. If they make it, the section final should be a good one.

9. Hibbing (11-9-2)
Hibbing beat Virginia and lost to Hermantown by 1. With their recently win and good game against the Hawks, Hibbing’s confidence needs to be high.

10. Virginia (15-6-3)
Losing to Hibbing was a little bump in the Blue Devils road to the #1 seed in 7A. Hopefully for them recent bumps will be motivation going into sections. The Hilltoppers will be looking to avenge their recent loss.

11. Thief River Falls (16-7)
The Prowlers are showing us all they are not worthy of the #1 seed. They being said, they will definitely fight as hard as they can to make it to and out of the final in 8A.

12. Rochester Lourdes (15-7-3)
I am assuming a win against Totino with this rank. The Eagles have proven they can play to the level of anyone…good teams and bad, which is why we don’t know what to expect from them. They are not a team anyone should overlook, but not a team guaranteed everything.

13. Duluth Marshall (10-12-1)
The Hilltoppers are definitely not a team to count out. Riding a recent win against new private school rival Cathedral, they should be a tough team this week. Hopefully they don’t overlook Central and come into their game with Virginia putting it all out there. If they can make the final, they have a good shot at state.

14. Spring Lake Park (18-7)
All but one of the Panthers losses this season have been by one goal. Recently lost to Brainerd and Totino by 1 goal but also lost to Mahtomedi by 1 goal. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them upset someone in sections.

15. Sauk Rapids-Rice (13-11-1)
The Storm recently lost a couple tough games, but those should show them which goalie they need in net and that they can play with anyone.

Good luck to all teams this week
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Final Class A Rankings:

1. St. Thomas Academy 20-5
2. Breck 23-2
3. Mahtomedi 20-5
4. Hermantown 22-3
5. Warroad 21-4
6. Alexandria 18-6-1
7. Sartell 16-7-2
8. Virginia 15-7-3
9. Thief River Falls 17-7-1
10. St. Cloud Cathedral 15-8-2
11. Rochester Lourdes 14-7-3
12. International Falls 15-8-2
13. Hibbing 12-10-2
14. Duluth Denfeld 12-11-2
15. Faribault 19-6
16. Duluth Marshall 12-12-1
17. Delano 16-7-2
18. Mound-Westonka 11-9-5
19. Orono 15-9-1
20. New Prague 16-7-2
Honorable mention: Totino-Grace, Blake, Sauk Rapids, Spring Lake Park, Rogers.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

MNHockey75 wrote:Final Class A Rankings:

2. Breck 23-2
3. Mahtomedi 20-5
4. Hermantown 22-3
5. Warroad 21-4
6. Alexandria 18-6-1
7. Sartell 16-7-2
8. Virginia 15-7-3
13. Hibbing 12-10-2
15. Faribault 19-6
17. Delano 16-7-2
19. Orono 15-9-1
20. New Prague 16-7-2
Just want to point out that the No 20 team on the list beat both the 17 and 18 teams by 3-0 scores on consecutive days during a holiday tournament using their backup goalie... On the other hand, both mound and Delano did beat teams that NP lost to. Everyone's got an opinion, that's what makes arguing rankings so fun.
Hockman21

Post by Hockman21 »

Rochester Lourdes lost last night to Totino. Score was 5-4 with Lourdes scoring a goal with 4 seconds left with a pulled goalie.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

hockeydad wrote:
MNHockey75 wrote:Final Class A Rankings:

2. Breck 23-2
3. Mahtomedi 20-5
4. Hermantown 22-3
5. Warroad 21-4
6. Alexandria 18-6-1
7. Sartell 16-7-2
8. Virginia 15-7-3
13. Hibbing 12-10-2
15. Faribault 19-6
17. Delano 16-7-2
19. Orono 15-9-1
20. New Prague 16-7-2
Just want to point out that the No 20 team on the list beat both the 17 and 18 teams by 3-0 scores on consecutive days during a holiday tournament using their backup goalie... On the other hand, both mound and Delano did beat teams that NP lost to. Everyone's got an opinion, that's what makes arguing rankings so fun.
I had them ahead of Delano and Mound but the Shakopee loss last night pushed them to 20.
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

Watcher, I generally see some sense in your rankings but this time your top 5 seem to be all messed up. If you base your rankings on results as you claim, how can you put Mahtomedi above Breck when they have lost badly to them once and soundly again in the Schwann's Cup??? Not only that, but they split with STA and have the same record even though STA has played a much more difficult schedule.

The top 4 should be

1. Breck - Highest scoring team in the State, defending State Champs, Best record in the entire class. Nuff said.
2. STA - No question here they are a very good team despite the recent loss.
---------------------------
3. Hermantown - Only three losses with a tough(er) schedule
4. Warroad - This team will go as far as Mr. Nelson takes them
5. Mahtomedi - a good team capable of an upset but not enough talent to win three in a row at state let alone get by STA for the second straight year to get there.
HShockeywatcher

Goldy23 wrote:Watcher, I generally see some sense in your rankings but this time your top 5 seem to be all messed up. If you base your rankings on results as you claim, how can you put Mahtomedi above Breck when they have lost badly to them once and soundly again in the Schwann's Cup??? Not only that, but they split with STA and have the same record even though STA has played a much more difficult schedule.

The top 4 should be

1. Breck - Highest scoring team in the State, defending State Champs, Best record in the entire class. Nuff said.
2. STA - No question here they are a very good team despite the recent loss.
3. Hermantown - Only three losses with a tough(er) schedule
4. Warroad - This team will go as far as Mr. Nelson takes them
5. Mahtomedi - a good team capable of an upset but not enough talent to win three in a row at state let alone get by STA for the second straight year to get there.
Look at the rankings last week. The #3 team beat the #1 team. So I moved them to #1. I was thinking of having STA at #2 as they beat Lourdes better than Breck, but Breck is 2-0 against the team they just beat, so I put them below Breck.

As I said, it's tough. Unlike Karl, I don't rework the rankings every week, I try to go off of what's happened recently. Hope that helps answer your questions.

In Mahtomedi's first game of the year, they lost to Breck by 6. 8 games later they met up again and lost by 2. 16 games later they beat St Thomas. If Breck and Mahtomedi meet at state, I think it will be a very good game. Personally and I think they've proven they are in that class everyone says St Thomas and Breck are in.

Warroad has proven they can dominate weaker teams and Hermantown has shown they can play VERY close games, a couple that end up in losses, with teams that close to their supposed ability. Mahtomedi has proven more in my opinion.
cooperalls4ever

Post by cooperalls4ever »

Hermantown is undefeated vs. Class A and last I looked that's the class they play in.

Please find me another undefeated team in Class A against Class A teams and compare them.

That is the #1 team in Class A until proven otherwise by a Class A school.

I don't even have to be biased because the facts are the facts-the rest are just opinions.
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

cooperalls4ever wrote:Hermantown is undefeated vs. Class A and last I looked that's the class they play in.

Please find me another undefeated team in Class A against Class A teams and compare them.

I don't even have to be biased because the facts are the facts-the rest are just opinions.
Simmer down COOP - Did you ever think the reason they are undeafeted in Class A is because they haven't played the best teams in Class A - Breck, STA, Maht and Warroad!

They are a good team for sure but the best team that they have beaten is Virginia! My guess is they are good for a 3 or 4 seed but no way will they be seeded higher than Breck or STA.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Goldy23 wrote:
cooperalls4ever wrote:Hermantown is undefeated vs. Class A and last I looked that's the class they play in.

Simmer down COOP - Did you ever think the reason they are undeafeted in Class A is because they haven't played the best teams in Class A - Breck, STA, Maht and Warroad!

They are a good team for sure but the best team that they have beaten is Virginia! My guess is they are good for a 3 or 4 seed but no way will they be seeded higher than Breck or STA.
Your STA boys are not invincible seeing as they lost to Mahtomedi. Should be a great single A tournament.
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

I still don't know how you could have Sauk Rapids in the top 20 just cuz of one person/goalie... Yes it seems like he's good but the team, in my opinion, is not top 20 material... are you by chance the younger goalie?? 8)
HShockeywatcher

fivehole628 wrote:I still don't know how you could have Sauk Rapids in the top 20 just cuz of one person/goalie... Yes it seems like he's good but the team, in my opinion, is not top 20 material... are you by chance the younger goalie?? 8)
It isn't because of the one goalie. It is because of what the TEAM has done since the one goalie got regular minutes. I haven't seen them play. I don't know if he's amazing or if the D just decides to have good games when he's in net, but fewer goes go in when he's in net.
elliott70

Re: Class A Rankings 2-21-10

Post by elliott70 »

1. Breck
2. Mahtomedi
3. Warroad
4. St Thomas Academy
5. Hermantown
6. Alexandria
7. Sartell
8. Thief River Falls
9. International Falls
10. Virginia
11. Hibbing
12. Duluth Marshall
13. Blake
14. Rochester Lourdes
15. Faribault
16. New Prague
17. Totino
18. Spring Lake Park
19. Orono
20. St. Cloud Cathedral
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

1. Breck
2. Mahtomedi
3. Hermantown
4. St Thomas Academy
5. Warroad
6. Alexandria
7. Sartell
8. Thief River Falls
9. International Falls
10. Rochester Lourdes
11. Hibbing
12. New Prague
13. Virginia
14. Delano
15. Faribault
16. St. Cloud Cathedral
17. Totino
18. Spring Lake Park
19. Duluth Marshall
20. Blake
Northhcky

Post by Northhcky »

elliott70 wrote:1. Breck
2. Mahtomedi
3. Warroad
4. St Thomas Academy
5. Hermantown
6. Alexandria
7. Sartell
8. Thief River Falls
9. International Falls
10. Virginia
11. Hibbing
12. Duluth Marshall
13. Blake
14. Rochester Lourdes
15. Faribault
16. New Prague
17. Totino
18. Spring Lake Park
19. Orono
20. St. Cloud Cathedral
I don't see how Warroad could be ranked above Hermantown.
Goldy is right they haven't played Warroad but in common opponents-
Warroad lost to Grand Rapids 5-4
Hermantown beat Grand Rapids 5-4
Warroad lost to EGF 2-1
Hermantown beat EGF 9-3
Warroad lost to TRF 2-1
Hermantown beat TRF 7-0
Not saying they are above Breck or STA but 3 of Warroads 4 losses were to teams Hermantown beat and 2 of them mighty handily. And coop is right they have not lost to a single A team all year.
defense

Post by defense »

Northhcky wrote:
2. Mahtomedi
3. Warroad
4. St Thomas Academy
5. Hermantown
6. Alexandria
7. Sartell
8. Thief River Falls
9. International Falls
10. Virginia
11. Hibbing
12. Duluth Marshall
13. Blake
14. Rochester Lourdes
15. Faribault
16. New Prague
17. Totino
18. Spring Lake Park
19. Orono
20. St. Cloud Cathedral
Warroad lost to EGF 2-1
Hermantown beat EGF 9-3
Warroad lost to TRF 2-1
Hermantown beat TRF 7-0
Not saying they are above Breck or STA but 3 of Warroads 4 losses were to teams Hermantown beat and 2 of them mighty handily. And coop is right they have not lost to a single A team all year.
The other half of the story is Warroad split with EGF and TRF:
Warroad 1 East Grand Forks 2
Warroad 12East Grand Forks 4
Warroad 1 Thief River Falls 2
Warroad 2 Thief River Falls 1

5-4 could go either way, so could 2-1.......
Pretty even teams.
Northhcky

Post by Northhcky »

defense wrote:
Northhcky wrote:
2. Mahtomedi
3. Warroad
4. St Thomas Academy
5. Hermantown
6. Alexandria
7. Sartell
8. Thief River Falls
9. International Falls
10. Virginia
11. Hibbing
12. Duluth Marshall
13. Blake
14. Rochester Lourdes
15. Faribault
16. New Prague
17. Totino
18. Spring Lake Park
19. Orono
20. St. Cloud Cathedral
Warroad lost to EGF 2-1
Hermantown beat EGF 9-3
Warroad lost to TRF 2-1
Hermantown beat TRF 7-0
The other half of the story is Warroad split with EGF and TRF:
Warroad 1 East Grand Forks 2
Warroad 12East Grand Forks 4
Warroad 1 Thief River Falls 2
Warroad 2 Thief River Falls 1

5-4 could go either way, so could 2-1.......
Pretty even teams.
Ok i'll give you the EGF game, Warroad redeemed themselves there. But a loss is still a loss.
And a 2-1 win over TRF is not a 7-0 game.
And comparing a 5-4 win and a 5-4 loss to Grand Rapids is not a fair comparison. Yes they were both 1 goal games but Hermantown beat GR by 1 who beat Warroad by 1 so theres a difference there.
All i'm saying is a loss is still a loss and Hermantown won all three games Warroad lost and should be ranked higher. And one thing HSHW hasn't accounted for when talking about Hermantowns close games lately are that for about the last 5-6 games coach Plante has been mixing lines from what they have been throughout the year. Lines are changing not just game to game but sometimes period to period. Trying different players and seeing what happens. Might find some chemistry going into playoffs he didn't know he had.
High_Plains_Dangler

Post by High_Plains_Dangler »

Goldy23 wrote:

Amen to that. Even though Hermantown is a great team, I don't see them getting above a #3 seed in the tourney if they make it.
Relax, Take it slow, and Let the Good Times Roll
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

I hope Hermantown wins the whole damn thing. You Citiots and privates can eat a stick. :D
bronx18

Post by bronx18 »

schwang17 wrote:I hope Hermantown wins the whole damn thing. You Citiots and privates can eat a stick. :D
Agreed! I'll be fine just as long as a public school wins it
Marty

Post by Marty »

Breck showed Mahtomedi they were not ready to play with the big dogs. Two losses on the season (STA and Shatt).

They only thing that might bite them in the rear is overall they play a really weak schedule. Majority of their games were not even contested.