Mayo vs Dodge county Tues 2-25

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SEMNHOCKEYFAN

Post by SEMNHOCKEYFAN » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:16 pm

clutterbuck22 wrote:
SEMNHOCKEYFAN wrote:4-0 final folks.......What a differnce a year makes in this section! last year mayo dominated DC.....this year....the other way around.....im looking forward to all of the views from the people who thought mayo got "screwed" seeding wise........Rookie19 that means you..... :lol:
Mayo didn't have the emotion or spark at all. DC beat them to all of the pucks, were much more physical, and had a lot more energy. I think Mayo just wanted the season to be over, because that's the way they played tonight. Be a disappointing way to end Lorne Grosso's career with this season. Hopefully he comes back.
It pretty much seemed like the mayo players didnt have heart....which is pretty sad for Grosso to have to deal with kids that r playin with no heart

hockeyfan8675309

Post by hockeyfan8675309 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:04 pm

Dodge County-4 Mayo-0
shots in periods
DC - 8-8-6
Mayo- 16-8-9
Looks like the #9 seed won. Van Gulden played ok, he had some ones he could of saved, and ones the D needed to clear. DC goalie kept his team in it. Thought Mayo would put a lot in, but they screwed the pooch. #6 on DC had a hat-trick. Both teams played good except DC's Offense and Goaltending were better. We will see how DC does against LS.

SEMinnyHCKY

Post by SEMinnyHCKY » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:09 pm

DC deserved a higher seed, but that doesn't matter now. Beating Mayo is a big win for this program, I think. They've now beated JM and Mayo the last two years. I realize these two teams are not top teams, but beating the established Rochester schools is great for them.

Now, we'll see if DC can hang with the 1 seed! Good luck!

hockeydad

Post by hockeydad » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:11 am

BadgerBob82 wrote:Rookie19: You are too funny! DC wins 4-3 on an empty netter.
Am I the only one who noticed this... DC wins 4-3 on an "empty netter????" :shock:

Edger

Post by Edger » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:13 am

Takes a lot of guts to pull the goalie late in a tied game. :wink:

SEMNHOCKEYFAN

Post by SEMNHOCKEYFAN » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:13 am

hockeydad wrote:
BadgerBob82 wrote:Rookie19: You are too funny! DC wins 4-3 on an empty netter.
Am I the only one who noticed this... DC wins 4-3 on an "empty netter????" :shock:
No sir.....i noticed it......but yes sir.....and im still waiting for Rookie19's opinion of the game...... :roll:

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:04 am

I know the kids are the ones that have to play the game. But I stand by coaching was the difference in this game. Lorne had a great career, but a 30 something coach brings more energy to a program. And Mayo's "top assistant"? Give me a break. Great teacher maybe, but hockey is not his bag. You explain to me how a coaching staff does not have the team ready for a playoff game? Yet the fingers will point to RYHA as the source of Mayo's internal problems.

itech22

Post by itech22 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:39 am

BadgerBob, here you go again about the coaching. If you were at the game you would know that it was not coaching at all. I watched Mayo play all season long and it appeared the kids did not want to go to Lakeville and get spanked. Now this is not good as well as I would have wanted to end the season beating Dodge County as they should have and then lose big to Lakeville. At least you would have accomplished things that you had control over. It was very embarrising to watch them play like that last night. I will give Dodge County credit though for taking advantage of the way they played and putting it to them. Them beating Mayo is a huge win for them in the section even though they will be pounced heavily on Thursday night. They cant' control that. There are no excuses for Mayo and Badger this will probably fall on Grosso because he is the head coach of a school that is not used to losing seasons such as this one. Hopefully Grosso will return next season as they are going to need him. On the current section roster last night they return only 5 skaters and 2 goalies for next year.

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:16 am

itech: You have watch Mayo all season, well I have watched them for most of Lorne's 40+ years. Underacheiving is not a new trait for Mayo hockey.

danglingnsnipen15

Post by danglingnsnipen15 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:22 am

DC is going to get steamrolled by South tomorrow night. South has too much talent for them to handle :lol:

hockeyfan8675309

Post by hockeyfan8675309 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:35 pm

Aren't Lakeville South's best players hurt?

Where they hurt when they played Mayo?
If they weren't hurt against Mayo, and Mayo lossed 6-0 and 4-0 against DC, then it shouldn't be a wooping. If they're best players wer hurt against Mayo then DC will be in trouble

SEMinnHockeyNut

Post by SEMinnHockeyNut » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:34 pm

How could a team come out so flat and apathetic? Especially when that team has that many seniors - no matter the talent level?
That ultimately comes down to the players being ready to play.
Does an athlete really ever need a coach to pumped them up to compete?
Yes, some players do, but athletes do not need someone pushing their buttons to compete. Each team is different, but mostly it comes from within - at least the teams I played on in the past.

It's too bad Mayo did not have depth to help them learn from their mistakes. Their lack of skill and bad habits are from their previous coaches, etc. You don't learn to eliminate bad decisions when you are successful with a stacked youth team. I see this at the A and B level with RYHA players because they generally win, they think they are playing well enough and get a false sense of themselves as players, etc

I don't like to bash coaches at all, bur I do wonder what Mayo's assistant brings to the table. He was very quiet last night and generally this season.
However, that coach has been in contact with my pee wee player already and seems eager to work with youth players now and in the future. I like what I hear.

Badger - how do you know about his hockey/teaching credentials?
Do I want my kid in his class next year?

I still think Mayo has some good coaches. I've seen the varsity assistant and JV coach at some youth games.
MAYO SPARTANS!

clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:22 pm

What do you guys think about Mayo's season next year? Here is what I think the top line will be.

Chase Laures Derek McMasters Taylor Sederquist

Jack Dingle Steve Serratore (shocker Mayo's top D-line could be juniors)
Alex Van Galder

I think they will be about .500 or a little over next year. They shouldn't be as bad as this year.

Rookie19

Post by Rookie19 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:20 pm

No excuses Mayo was just plain awful, plenty of blame should be handed out
players need to be prepared to play, Goalies need to be ready to play and coaches need to be ready to do something. This group of kids had some talent and were all pretty good athletes, what would of Nystrom done with a group like this. That's it

Next year the group just listed has 3 Goals between them and all saw plenty of ice. Goalie 5.0 GA, unless something changes, team will win less Games than this year.

Mayo Got Screwed :oops: :cry:

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:53 pm

Nuts: You can't be serious? Blaming youth hockey coaches for the problems at Mayo? "When you got lemons, you make lemonade" Don't look in the mirror for the real problem. Blame youth hockey coaches because the Mayo coaches can't develop players in their own system. Speaking of Nystrom. Their youth teams are generally weak (results wise). 3-4 very nice players and a core of support guys. Nystrom takes them and develops them into a team. Skill development does not end at youth hockey. Half of Mayo's team has been in the Mayo program since 8th or 9th grade. Develop players, not excuses!

SEMinnHockeyNut

Post by SEMinnHockeyNut » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:33 pm

Exactly, Nystrom gets an entire bantam A team with some good skill, goalies who were coached at the youth level, and molds them into a team. This year they split with Mayo with an entire bantam team at his disposal.
This year Mayo had 2 guys that ever played bantam A hockey.
Most of the players are B or C players, which don't get the same coaching as the A teams. Not to mention that bantam B teams in RYHA have insane records, then they go to different schools and that dilutes your hs teams.
Certainly you can agree that some guys lacked essential skills and lack hockey sense. Things like that and skating strides develop over years and bad habits are hard to break.
AL kids learn early on they have to work hard for W's and when your bantam teams are winning 2/3 of their games then split different ways they take their habits and sense of ability with them. AL kids all play together.

Last night was bad and I still think kids have to compared to work hard and be mentally prepared to battle. That did not happen and Mayo was not talented enough to have such off nights. At times they played well this year and when the goaltending was good they were decent. Nothing clicked last night. Nice win for DC. They deserved to win.

I wonder if Mayo underachieved on the 7 state tourney trips?
Several times they lost in the quarterfinals to the eventual champs.
Ask Duluth East fans about the 97 game.
95 Mayo got 4th and almost made the finals.
MAYO SPARTANS!

SEMinnHockeyNut

Post by SEMinnHockeyNut » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:38 pm

Man those Russian coaches sure do stink!
How do you not get your team prepared for games?
They really need to develop those players!
MAYO SPARTANS!

Rookie19

Post by Rookie19 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:43 pm

Nut,

Are you comparing Mayo coaches to the Russians or the competition
Team Canada and Dodge County.

SEMinnHockeyNut

Post by SEMinnHockeyNut » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:13 pm

Russia vs. Canada is like Mayo vs. DC - equal talent and both had games where one team was flat and uninspired. Both games were not close, so obviously the Russian coaches are bad too
MAYO SPARTANS!

SEMNHOCKEYFAN

Post by SEMNHOCKEYFAN » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:14 am

clutterbuck22 wrote:What do you guys think about Mayo's season next year? Here is what I think the top line will be.

Chase Laures Derek McMasters Taylor Sederquist

Jack Dingle Steve Serratore (shocker Mayo's top D-line could be juniors)
Alex Van Galder

I think they will be about .500 or a little over next year. They shouldn't be as bad as this year.
I think Van Galder Should split time in net with that 10th grader Debusman he looked solid in the 2 games he played and i beleve should get soem playing time next season..... as for there top line.....3 out of the 5 are "transfers" Cough "recurts" Cough.....from austin so they SHOULD perform next season....if not look for it to be anther long season for the green and gold.....

CoachHookom

Post by CoachHookom » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:05 am

Just to clarify, Serratore, McMasters, and Sederquest made their own choices for their reason. The first time I met Steve Serratore was the 1st day of tryouts last year.....Derek and Taylor when they enrolled.
They are at Mayo due to the District rules. When you transfer to our schools you are enrolled to the school from the direction you come from, thud the Austin kids ended up at Mayo, Holland ended up at Century, and Jacob Garvey is at JM (bantam A this year).
Garvey had an exception to attendance to Willow last year because his parents were going to the Mayo area, but have not been able to sell their house in Kasson I believe.
If you don't believe me email Joe Serratore, Steve's dad. He works for the Rochester schools so it would be easy to do. Joe has been nothing but positive and supportive of us.

Badger - I'm glad that you think I'm a great teacher. The feedback I get from parents and students is great and keeps me motivated. I can't wait until March 15th. I will be at Winona St with some awesome History D Day projects and it will be great.

I'm sorry you think I'm a poor coach. Perhaps you'd be willing to sit down with for coffee and hockey talk sometime? I'd love to hear what you have to say. Maybe we can diagram 4-5 powerplays and multiple forechecks eh?
I'd love to pick your hockey mind.

Just some FYI: my jv teams went 24-0-1 in our first 25 big nine games, until we were finally beaten by a great AL team coached by Steve Falk in OT. Perhaps I shortened my bench too much in the 3rd period and OT - 8 forwards and 4 Dmen. Coaches often question their own decisions, it's part of being a good coach.

Thanks for your input and Badger I can't wait to hear from you. Please be a man and email me. At least I'm opening myself up for you to contact and not hiding behind a profile name.

Thanks - Coach Hookom

ps Good luck to all the teams tonight.

southernmnscout

what?????

Post by southernmnscout » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:16 am

Coach Hookum,

I still cannot believe that you are on a message board sticking up for yourself to a bunch of kids and parents or whatever else. Why would you do that?? I cannot get over how a coach would come on to a message board. It blows my mind. Can't you just let people talk and not have to come on here. What coaches do that???? You are the only one that I know of.

Get over it. You will never make everyone happy. Just let people talk and make their own assumptions. But seriously do not come on a highschool hockey message board to try and confront people. How stupid does that look?????? Does your AD and coach Grosso know you are doing this? I highly doubt it.

southernmnscout

Post by southernmnscout » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:19 am

And really, would Mr. Serratore be very happy if and when he receives a bunch of emails from people on this board because you told them to email him? Come on man!! Think about it and just do what is best for your school and your kids and stay off here. At least do not post on here. Makes everything sound a little fishy if you ask me.

anidesx

Post by anidesx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:42 pm

A coach calling someone out on the board, I love it. I hope this is someone pretending to be the coach. On another note, coaching does not make the team. Can it help at the high school --maybe a bit. The players either have it in their guts or they don't. If they do not, no amount of coaching will turn the player into a hockey player.

clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:06 pm

anidesx wrote: On another note, coaching does not make the team.
coughAlbertLeacough.