Warroad Class

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TuckerMax93

Post by TuckerMax93 »

warriors41 wrote:
I don't personally know the Marvin's so I couldn't say for sure. I don't think that situation would ever come up so it's hard to say. However, I do know that many of the girls that do move to Warroad have friends there through hockey and that is part of the reason they feel comfortable making that move. I would suppose in that situation they would find someone to host them. I'm curious as to which Marvin Roberts was living with? Was it Gigi's parents? If so, it could be the situation I just explained.
In my opinion that would be a form of recruiting. But I guess in your shoes I wouldn't want to admit it either.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

TuckerMax93 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
I don't personally know the Marvin's so I couldn't say for sure. I don't think that situation would ever come up so it's hard to say. However, I do know that many of the girls that do move to Warroad have friends there through hockey and that is part of the reason they feel comfortable making that move. I would suppose in that situation they would find someone to host them. I'm curious as to which Marvin Roberts was living with? Was it Gigi's parents? If so, it could be the situation I just explained.
In my opinion that would be a form of recruiting. But I guess in your shoes I wouldn't want to admit it either.
Living with a friend you've known for years is recruiting? There is nothing that I don't want to admit. We just have different perspectives on this issues I guess.
TuckerMax93

Post by TuckerMax93 »

warriors41 wrote:
TuckerMax93 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Living with a friend you've known for years is recruiting? There is nothing that I don't want to admit. We just have different perspectives on this issues I guess.
Hey friend. You should come play for us. You'll get a chance to get more exposure and state tournament chances. My parents will even let you live here.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

TuckerMax93 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
TuckerMax93 wrote: In my opinion that would be a form of recruiting. But I guess in your shoes I wouldn't want to admit it either.
Hey friend. You should come play for us. You'll get a chance to get more exposure and state tournament chances. My parents will even let you live here.
If what you are describing is happening, that is parents/community recruiting, which may be morally wrong, but there are no rules against it. Now if the coach is seeking out these players and setting them up with families, then that's against rules.
TuckerMax93

Post by TuckerMax93 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
If what you are describing is happening, that is parents/community recruiting, which may be morally wrong, but there are no rules against it. Now if the coach is seeking out these players and setting them up with families, then that's against rules.
Who invited Captain Obvious?
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

TuckerMax93 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
TuckerMax93 wrote: In my opinion that would be a form of recruiting. But I guess in your shoes I wouldn't want to admit it either.
First off, they can't just live with friends anymore and be eligible to play. Second, I'm sure girls ask other people to move to there towns all the time to play hockey. I view recruiting when you have something to offer that can only be received from your school. Nothing Warroad has to offer fits that qualification with exception to the Marvin scholarship which you have to be enrolled since 7th grade to get the full amount anyway. And even if you do go to school there, it is a very competitive award to get. Also, most of the hockey olayers that move there don't have to worry because they will be getting hockey scholarships anyway.
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

TuckerMax93 wrote:Who invited Captain Obvious?
Probably 1 of the lessers. :idea:

Too bad UHL isn't here, he would hunt you down for starting a thread like this. 8)
TuckerMax93

Post by TuckerMax93 »

warriors41 wrote:
First off, they can't just live with friends anymore and be eligible to play. Second, I'm sure girls ask other people to move to there towns all the time to play hockey. I view recruiting when you have something to offer that can only be received from your school. Nothing Warroad has to offer fits that qualification with exception to the Marvin scholarship which you have to be enrolled since 7th grade to get the full amount anyway. And even if you do go to school there, it is a very competitive award to get. Also, most of the hockey olayers that move there don't have to worry because they will be getting hockey scholarships anyway.
You twist the definition of recruiting the way you want to interpret it, I do the same. As they say, if it looks like the cat, and farts like a cat, it probably is a cat.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

warriors41 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:If she tried that today (with her parents not moving) I don't think she would be eligible, unless she were to make the move before enrolling in 9th grade.
So it's the schools fault that she moved to better herself? That doesn't mean she was "recruited." Some people just feel it is better for themselves to play for a winning team to be better recognized. That's all I got out of her statement. Just because people move there to play a sport, doesn't necessarily mean they were recruited.
How did I imply that it was the school's fault? I was just making an observation, that the new rules on transferring would make this kind of move more difficult.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for Warroad's hockey tradition, and don't believe they should be pressured to move up to AA. I like seeing quality matchups in the semifinal and championship games of both classes, boys and girls. My only wish is that there were more Class A teams that could compete with the Warroads and the Brecks. If these and the handful of other talented Class A schools were to all move up, I wouldn't even bother watching the A tournaments, let alone pay for a ticket.
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

TuckerMax93 wrote:You twist the definition of recruiting the way you want to interpret it, I do the same. As they say, if it looks like the cat, and farts like a cat, it probably is a cat.
Good analogy. :idea:
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:If she tried that today (with her parents not moving) I don't think she would be eligible, unless she were to make the move before enrolling in 9th grade.
So it's the schools fault that she moved to better herself? That doesn't mean she was "recruited." Some people just feel it is better for themselves to play for a winning team to be better recognized. That's all I got out of her statement. Just because people move there to play a sport, doesn't necessarily mean they were recruited.
How did I imply that it was the school's fault? I was just making an observation, that the new rules on transferring would make this kind of move more difficult.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for Warroad's hockey tradition, and don't believe they should be pressured to move up to AA. I like seeing quality matchups in the semifinal and championship games of both classes, boys and girls. My only wish is that there were more Class A teams that could compete with the Warroads and the Brecks. If these and the handful of other talented Class A schools were to all move up, I wouldn't even bother watching the A tournaments, let alone pay for a ticket.
I didn't mean to imply that you said it was the school's fault. What I meant by that was that people get the impression that the SCHOOL recruits when what her statement shows that it was her own personal decision.
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

TuckerMax93 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
You twist the definition of recruiting the way you want to interpret it, I do the same. As they say, if it looks like the cat, and farts like a cat, it probably is a cat.
With all this anger you are unleashing every other post on this thread it sounds as though one of these "recruited" players took your spot somewhere along the line during high school athletics whether it be Warroad, Roseau, etc....If you care so much about Warroad moving up then write a letter to the AD supporting your points, and you say you don't think Warroad should be mentioned in the same breath as Roseau? Well here's an idea, quit talking on the this thread and it will just go away. Both schools are good, get over it. I like the Texas basketball analogy as well, teams are going to be top teams in the state regardless of class (look at 2004 Breck and 2005 Warroad, oh no tucker I used Warroad and a private school) so let's just all be happy that the talent around the state is deep and we get the privledge of watching TWO well fought out tournaments.
TuckerMax93

Post by TuckerMax93 »

mn miracle man wrote:
With all this anger you are unleashing every other post on this thread it sounds as though one of these "recruited" players took your spot somewhere along the line during high school athletics whether it be Warroad, Roseau, etc....If you care so much about Warroad moving up then write a letter to the AD supporting your points, and you say you don't think Warroad should be mentioned in the same breath as Roseau? Well here's an idea, quit talking on the this thread and it will just go away. Both schools are good, get over it. I like the Texas basketball analogy as well, teams are going to be top teams in the state regardless of class (look at 2004 Breck and 2005 Warroad, oh no tucker I used Warroad and a private school) so let's just all be happy that the talent around the state is deep and we get the privledge of watching TWO well fought out tournaments.
Easy cowboy, I might sound like one of those things but the facts are that I'm from a town far south of the Canadian border. I played varsity in every sport I played in high school and participated in state tournaments in all of them too.

I'm just sayin' that Warroad is Roseau's little coward sister from this outsiders standpoint.
newsguy35

Post by newsguy35 »

I am trying to find equal ground on this one but am having a tough time comprehending some of the arguments. Some seem to be more based on stats from 10+ years ago. Can we look at recent games in recent years to figure this one out? I believe that both may be where they belong but when you start to scratch the surface of enrollment vs talent... well it gets a bit fishy...

Both have had runs of late with players being drafted, going to college and Jr's and have been involved in the tourney in their respective classes. Do I agree that Warroad is the better PROGRAM as a whole, no. But I do give them respect for putting a team on the ice that is competitive with teams of the AA standard and knowing how to play the game. I also enjoy watching these such match ups during the season. My question is... "How do the youth programs progress/digress year in and year out?" I would have to say that I give that to Roseau in the fact that it is more consistent.
hipcheck

Classy Warroad

Post by hipcheck »

Warroad has a very solid hockey program. They always seem to put together a solid unit at the highschool level.

Roseau seems to have solid programs all the way through the youth level and continue to put solid teams together at the High school. The Roseau Peewees were state champs last year. There are no classes at the youth level. So it seems Roseau belongs in the AA division, while Warroad belongs in the A division, based soley on youth team success.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I wish the town I grew up in and still live in[Forest Lake] had the programs that those two towns do. I would be proud of both.
ubugme

Re: Classy Warroad

Post by ubugme »

hipcheck wrote:Warroad has a very solid hockey program. They always seem to put together a solid unit at the highschool level.

Roseau seems to have solid programs all the way through the youth level and continue to put solid teams together at the High school. The Roseau Peewees were state champs last year. There are no classes at the youth level. So it seems Roseau belongs in the AA division, while Warroad belongs in the A division, based soley on youth team success.
I think the hip dude just accused Warroad of recruiting...

It bugs me I had to read between the lines....
defense

Post by defense »

TuckerMax93 wrote:So, CircleTalker, you didn't like watching the town of 3000 take it to the big boys a couple years ago??

I really don't see a problem with teams moving up to prove they can play with the big boys, shows cajones.

I'm not saying all good teams should move up. I'm just saying Warroad doesn't have the goods to prove they should be spoke of in the same sentence as Roseau. And don't get me started on STA.
What this person is saying is what I say when people start complaining that Warroad and St. Thomas Acedemy, and Breck, and even DuLuth Marshal dominate the State Tournement. It is all about the integrity of the system. It sucks that there are two State Champions, but they cannot and will not force a team to play with the bigger schools as long as they have two classes. Class A has outstanding hockey. Class AA has outstanding hockey. Class A has some weaker teams and younger programs. Class AA has some weaker teams and younger programs. The big difference is in the name. It is too bad that the MSHSL keeps screwing up the section alignments though, I will never get over it. That is their one problem with the way they run it.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Why would Hockey Town NOT want to play with the best?
TuckerMax93

Post by TuckerMax93 »

mulefarm wrote:Why would Hockey Town NOT want to play with the best?
Valid question.

Like I said. They don't have to play Class AA. I don't care really that they don't. I'm just sayin' that they will always be playing second fiddle to Roseau until they do.
We're here. We're there. We're everywhere.
SiouxRecruit

Post by SiouxRecruit »

Warroad= skirt wearing susans

Hockey town....I think not...lets give it to Roseau...they deserve it :idea:

There is NO doubt Roseau is just simply a better team..and classy at that :!:

GO RAMS!!.......(and Panthers)
Catch me On YouTube @ FishOnLuke
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

mulefarm wrote:Why would Hockey Town NOT want to play with the best?
Many people do. When Roseau first went AA it was not to run from Warroad. Most people believed Warroad, TRF, EGF.. would all follow. There were people in Warroad that wanted to follow but a few people holding the purse strings made the decision to stay in A. I am not sure who these people are that so vigorously defend Warroad's position in class A. 99% of the posts calling them out would go away if they didn't claim they chased Roseau to AA yet are too small to follow. It has to be one or the other.

I am fine with Warroad staying in A in both boys and girls. The girl's run will be over in a few years at least with this quality and the boys....
The boys have had many down youth teams and still produced quality high school teams. The changes to hockey and transfer rules could see that end. A down team will probably stay down. Transfers the quality of a TJ Oshie or Wyatt Smith are more likely to go USHL or USNDT regardless of jobs and family connections.

Warroad has a very good team yet TRF and EGF feel they have an excellent chance at representing Section 8 at state. I think Warroad should be left alone and attention should be turned towards the real recruiters and chickenships of class A.

As for forcing small schools to stay in A. If you do that you will see a mass exodus of players leave for juniors from the East's, Roseau's, and Grand Rapid's of Minnesota. The kids there are taught in the youth programs to try and be the best. Not fit in, look like each other and hide behind enrollment.
PhilRudd

Post by PhilRudd »

Warroad is a bunch of XXXL chickens!

PR 8)
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

SiouxRecruit wrote:Warroad= skirt wearing susans

The Hockeytown claim has to do with the amount of Olympic hockey players compared to other cities across the country. The ratio of Olympians to city population is higher than any in the nation, has nothing to do with high school.

Oh and classy really is all about sitting on the message boards all day ripping on the accomplishments of teenage boys in the state high school tournament.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

mn miracle man wrote:
SiouxRecruit wrote:Warroad= skirt wearing susans

The Hockeytown claim has to do with the amount of Olympic hockey players compared to other cities across the country. The ratio of Olympians to city population is higher than any in the nation, has nothing to do with high school.

Oh and classy really is all about sitting on the message boards all day ripping on the accomplishments of teenage boys in the state high school tournament.
That irony wasn't lost on me, either. Does this topic have any place to go really? Does that particular argument ever get settled?

I say no, and no. Therefore....

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006