3AA Final #3 Woodbury vs. #4 Apple Valley

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Winner?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:39 am

Woodbury
49%
Apple Valley
51%

Total votes: 49

goalie30

Post by goalie30 »

"Apple Valley just knocked Woodbury hockey back to the dark ages. Only 2 returning players next year. And the pipeline of Woodbury Bantam A talent going to East Ridge is 2 or 3 times bigger than the pipeline going to Woodbury High School. Bolin knows this and will most likely go somewhere else.

As far as the seniors on the team, unfortunately they have a long history of "not getting it done" when playoff time rolls around."

He may need to stay in Woodbury for financial reasons. I've been to a couple of the youth association board meetings and they pay Bolin about $40,000 a year to be the development director (its in their financial reporting). If he leaves, he loses that income. My guess is that Bolin goes to East Ridge. The plan was for him to coach this year at Woodbury and move to ER next year but the Woodbury principal veto'ed the deal (I know the guy that was helping put together that deal). I bet he finds a way to get there.

My daughter plays in the Woodbury Association so I hope he leaves. Saving the $40k will help reduce our ice fees.
Ufeelshame

Post by Ufeelshame »

GFD, like you I watched a lot of SEC games this year. Interested in your thoughts about why SEC performed so poorly in regions. You referenced FLake, MV, Woodbury. FLake was a good team. WB was a good team. MV looks like it needs an attitude readjustment (highly inconsisitent) team. However, its still HS hockey. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night. Do you think the more disciplined teams seem to do better this time of year? Is it that simple? HM for example. in addition to talent that is a highly discplined team. Don't know if HM players are smart or scared of Lechner but you can tell they DO what he says. Personally, I will take a disciplined hockey team over a talented hockey team any day this time of year. Thats why I thought Stilly would beat WBL. Oops...but then Stilly was the too chippy in the WBL game. Thoughts? [/quote]
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:WOW !! Where did these guys come from ?? Hudson Fasching and AV are going to be beast the next couple of years...this makes Eagan's loss look better for sure... :shock:
If Fasching (Fresh) and Michaelson (Soph) stick around for the next few years, they will be awfully tough to beat. I've heard that Michaelson has been offered a spot with the NTDP in Ann Arbor (no word on if he will accept), and my bet is that Fasching will also be asked to leave school. Selfishly, I'd like to see them stick around and develop as High School players.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

muckandgrind wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:WOW !! Where did these guys come from ?? Hudson Fasching and AV are going to be beast the next couple of years...this makes Eagan's loss look better for sure... :shock:
If Fasching (Fresh) and Michaelson (Soph) stick around for the next few years, they will be awfully tough to beat. I've heard that Michaelson has been offered a spot with the NTDP in Ann Arbor (no word on if he will accept), and my bet is that Fasching will also be asked to leave school. Selfishly, I'd like to see them stick around and develop as High School players.
Yeah they seem to have the talent to move on before they finish high school, its too bad for us fans, my only complaint about the state tournament is that we are missing out on seeing so many good players that leave highschool early for NTDP and USHL...I am still not convinced leaving high school early for those programs increase a kids chance at a D1 scholarship or an NHL career.
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Couldn't agree with you more HHF, your team has a prime candidate also...lets hope they all stick around!
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Ufeelshame wrote:GFD, like you I watched a lot of SEC games this year. Interested in your thoughts about why SEC performed so poorly in regions. You referenced FLake, MV, Woodbury. FLake was a good team. WB was a good team. MV looks like it needs an attitude readjustment (highly inconsisitent) team. However, its still HS hockey. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night. Do you think the more disciplined teams seem to do better this time of year? Is it that simple? HM for example. in addition to talent that is a highly discplined team. Don't know if HM players are smart or scared of Lechner but you can tell they DO what he says. Personally, I will take a disciplined hockey team over a talented hockey team any day this time of year. Thats why I thought Stilly would beat WBL. Oops...but then Stilly was the too chippy in the WBL game. Thoughts?
[/quote]

Shamie..... It's hard to pinpoint, but yes, discipline is huge. The SEC as a whole failed miserably oustide it's conference this year. Other than WBL beating AHA and CDH beating Edina, there were very few wins against quality teams, and in fact, the majority were not solid performances. Woodbury got waxed.. WBL got shelled in 7-0 losses to STA and 5-0 H-M... Stilly got hammered by BSM...

How much is talent. How much does the style of play the BETTER schools have in affect? Tonka's breakout and full use of ice.... Edina's... E P's??? How much do these coaches tweak systems based on talent? How much depth are the sections??

Eagan had a much better squad this year.. Apple Valley has a couple young offensive players..... Otherwise, Woodbury and CDH by default (maybe?) have had the luxury of a competitive sections...

Hard to say...... as you probably have figured it out..... I gave up figuring out WBL, and have found it easier to be critical than supportive!! :lol:
Ufeelshame

Post by Ufeelshame »

GFD your dead right. Forgot about the little "tweaks" based on the talent you have or don't have. See some of the scouting at work for some teams. Definitely not all the teams. Frustrating to continue to see no SEC presence. No blame, kids still need to play the game but if what a given team did this year didn't work do you think the program might dig deep and change something before next season ( e.g. more summer training, different summer training, summer leagues, fall leagues etc.)? My guess no. They will blame it on the associations, thin talent, etc., blah, blah, blah. How about the HS program looks in the mirror and just says "I guess we need to work harder next year". I know wishful thinking. Enjoyed the posts from you all year. Thanks.
dabears344

Post by dabears344 »

According to the roster on followthepuck Apple Valley has 11 underclassmen on their varsity roster including their current stars fasching and michealson. Their are gonna have such a good next couple of years, maybe even win the new Lake conference with ep out of it.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

dabears344 wrote:According to the roster on followthepuck Apple Valley has 11 underclassmen on their varsity roster including their current stars fasching and michealson. Their are gonna have such a good next couple of years, maybe even win the new Lake conference with ep out of it.
Assuming the young players don't leave early.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

dabears344 wrote:According to the roster on followthepuck Apple Valley has 11 underclassmen on their varsity roster including their current stars fasching and michealson. Their are gonna have such a good next couple of years, maybe even win the new Lake conference with ep out of it.
The Lake is shaping up to be pretty competitive the next couple of years with Eagan, AppleValley, Lakeville South and North coming back with some young talent if they all stay.
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 »

wbmd wrote:
I don't see Michaelson or Fasching leaving before next year. Couple reasons: 1) I don't think one would leave without the other 2) They had alot of success growing up and know they could if they all stick together in high school as well 3) They can both still get the recognition they need playing at Apple Valley couple notables that stayed recently and did so...Dan Sexton, juniors to Bowling Green to Anaheim Ducks...David Fischer, Minnesota and drafted out of high school by Montreal...Kyle Medvec, Vermont and drafted out of high school by Minnesota...Lundin brothers both went to Maine and one now plays with Tampa Bay. 4) Fasching is also a solid soccer player that was pulled up on the section and state roster team that won state this year as a freshman. 5) Parents keeping them around home is something I see with these two...well at least I can hope that.

But anyway not something to worry about until the off-season. Congrats Eagles and good luck at state next week!
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

Nice to see that Woodbury junior Christian Turner was able to dress and warm up with the team in both the quarterfinals and semifinals.

http://www.woodburybulletin.com/event/i ... the%20ice/
Vinko Bogataj

Post by Vinko Bogataj »

hockeyjunkie2 wrote:
wbmd wrote:
I don't see Michaelson or Fasching leaving before next year. Couple reasons: 1) I don't think one would leave without the other 2) They had alot of success growing up and know they could if they all stick together in high school as well 3) They can both still get the recognition they need playing at Apple Valley couple notables that stayed recently and did so...Dan Sexton, juniors to Bowling Green to Anaheim Ducks...David Fischer, Minnesota and drafted out of high school by Montreal...Kyle Medvec, Vermont and drafted out of high school by Minnesota...Lundin brothers both went to Maine and one now plays with Tampa Bay. 4) Fasching is also a solid soccer player that was pulled up on the section and state roster team that won state this year as a freshman. 5) Parents keeping them around home is something I see with these two...well at least I can hope that.

But anyway not something to worry about until the off-season. Congrats Eagles and good luck at state next week!
I hope you're right. I think that both players are enjoying their HS years enough that they will play at AV for at least one more year. Both sets of parents (one of whom I am an acquaintence, the other I've heard from some folks close to them) are fantastic people first of all, and secondly both of these families are extremely grounded and I think are interested in keeping their sons lives diversified, at least as much as possible when you consider they both have legitimate futures in the game. I think that bodes real well for the future of AV's team. AVHA has done a great job over the years, lots of well known names have gone through the program.
Sykes

Post by Sykes »

goalie30 wrote:"Apple Valley just knocked Woodbury hockey back to the dark ages. Only 2 returning players next year. And the pipeline of Woodbury Bantam A talent going to East Ridge is 2 or 3 times bigger than the pipeline going to Woodbury High School. Bolin knows this and will most likely go somewhere else.

As far as the seniors on the team, unfortunately they have a long history of "not getting it done" when playoff time rolls around."

He may need to stay in Woodbury for financial reasons. I've been to a couple of the youth association board meetings and they pay Bolin about $40,000 a year to be the development director (its in their financial reporting). If he leaves, he loses that income. My guess is that Bolin goes to East Ridge. The plan was for him to coach this year at Woodbury and move to ER next year but the Woodbury principal veto'ed the deal (I know the guy that was helping put together that deal). I bet he finds a way to get there.

My daughter plays in the Woodbury Association so I hope he leaves. Saving the $40k will help reduce our ice fees.
I always liked the saying if you don't have something nice to say........
So I am going to be positive in my comments. First, in regards to never getting it done. Yes, they did not get to state the last two years. And I am by no means comparing these boys to Wayzata this year but they did not make it. Holy Angels had the number 1 ranking for several years and did not make it. These boys did however, stay together, instead of heading to the privates like so many earlier Woodbury kids (Nothing against privates just a hometown kind of guy). A lot of these kids skated three years ago in the state tournament as sophomores and contributed. As freshman they did go to the State Bantam VFW tournament. They set a school record for wins in a season last year even without going to state. They got another conference title. Parents set expectation but its the kids that have to meet them.

As for the development director salary and role. My son was part of the WAHC for a long time. One of his tryouts, when the WAHC had a rotating door on hiring outside development help, consisted of a 10 minute 7 shot goalie tryout. And it still cost the association over $25,000 a year in different development options. Since Bolen has taken the position, there have been practice plans given to the coaches, coaching sessions, a lot of organization that was never there before. I know, I witnessed it. And if you do the math, it amounts to about $50 a player to pay for the director role. Because there were fewer members when my son was there, it was about $40 a player. If you think that by not having Coach Bolin back, you will save $50, I guess you will scrap the whole development program and just have parents coach all the teams with no direction, no practice plans, just lace em up and skate. Otherwise go back to what was going on before with the rotating door and you will save $10 and pay what I used to for development.

But if you really want to save on ice fees, have your daughter play basketball or softball. That's what mine did and it was cheaper.
Sykes

Post by Sykes »

As for the game, congratulations to Apple Valley. A well deserved win with 14 years in the making. While Apple Valley pulled way in the 3rd, I think everyone felt that the first goal would set the tone for the game. I'm not sure if I can remember so many pipes in a game. Woodbury had at least two and AV had 2 or 3. Anyone of those eary ones could have changed the game.

Apple Valley, your under the radar, go for it. Play hard and get some wins for this section.
goalie30

Post by goalie30 »

I didn't realize the only two options were to have Bolin return or let all development go to hell. I guess with only those two choices, I agree he should be back.
newmexicohockey

Post by newmexicohockey »

Ufeelshame wrote:GFD, like you I watched a lot of SEC games this year. Interested in your thoughts about why SEC performed so poorly in regions. You referenced FLake, MV, Woodbury. FLake was a good team. WB was a good team. MV looks like it needs an attitude readjustment (highly inconsisitent) team. However, its still HS hockey. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night. Do you think the more disciplined teams seem to do better this time of year? Is it that simple? HM for example. in addition to talent that is a highly discplined team. Don't know if HM players are smart or scared of Lechner but you can tell they DO what he says. Personally, I will take a disciplined hockey team over a talented hockey team any day this time of year. Thats why I thought Stilly would beat WBL. Oops...but then Stilly was the too chippy in the WBL game. Thoughts?
[/quote]

Discipline, or lack of it, was a factor in the Woodbury debacle. Recall that at the beginning of the year, Woodbury was hyped on this board as being unstoppable, unbeatable, top team in the state, etc. Unfortunately, what the Woodbury team did have was unrelenting arrogance and a terrible sense of entitlement. Even a waxing by Minnetonka early in the season could not rid Woodbury of this mindset. Bolin failed to cut through all this and instill an ethic of hard work and discipline.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

newmexicohockey wrote:Discipline, or lack of it, was a factor in the Woodbury debacle. Recall that at the beginning of the year, Woodbury was hyped on this board as being unstoppable, unbeatable, top team in the state, etc. Unfortunately, what the Woodbury team did have was unrelenting arrogance and a terrible sense of entitlement. Even a waxing by Minnetonka early in the season could not rid Woodbury of this mindset. Bolin failed to cut through all this and instill an ethic of hard work and discipline.
Agreed.
PoNd HocKey ChAmP67

Post by PoNd HocKey ChAmP67 »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
The Lake is shaping up to be pretty competitive the next couple of years with Eagan, AppleValley, Lakeville South and North coming back with some young talent if they all stay.
yeah the Lake took some big strides this year. They have two teams representing at State ( Apple Valley, Lakeville North) and they had many others that were oh so close like Eagan, Lakeville South, Jefferson, Burnsville and Eden Prarie.

The lake was pretty close to having half the State Tournament being from the Lake. :shock: If Jefferson and EP would of won
newmexicohockey

Post by newmexicohockey »

goalie30 wrote:"Apple Valley just knocked Woodbury hockey back to the dark ages. Only 2 returning players next year. And the pipeline of Woodbury Bantam A talent going to East Ridge is 2 or 3 times bigger than the pipeline going to Woodbury High School. Bolin knows this and will most likely go somewhere else.

If Bolin goes to East Ridge next season, what happens to the current coach at East Ridge?