Hermantown
67%
Duluth Denfeld
33%

Total votes: 39

starmvp

Section 5A Final

Post by starmvp » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:27 pm

Hermantown vs Duluth Denfeld. Game is on Friday at the Cloquet Area Recreational Center. Predictions?

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:09 pm

On paper Hermantown wins. On paper Denfeld would've lost their last game too. Denfeld recently played Hermantown and lost in OT. Should be a great game.

Hunters 3
Hawks 2

nhl_combine

Post by nhl_combine » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:52 pm

I'd be happy for either team to win. Although it would be cool to see Denfeld go to state representing there school before they combine with Central.

Either way with a team winning 7-6 in OT.
fear "the bike"

house69

Post by house69 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:58 pm

Hermantown dominates

TuckerMax93

Post by TuckerMax93 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:02 pm

After watching both of these teams play yesterday I have no reason to believe that Hermantown will lose.

Hawks by more than 3 goals.
We're here. We're there. We're everywhere.

dirtracing17

Post by dirtracing17 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:59 pm

i think denfeld can pull this one off if they can play 3 periods of hockey. they took them to overtime before. when i saw ampe play a game before playoffs, wasnt that impressed as there record shows. hermantown hasnt beaten any team ranked about them. hope northern mn will have a good showing at state

nickmon3

Post by nickmon3 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:20 pm

This could be a close one, but I think the hawks will take this one. I would really like to see them get beat by denfeld, but I just dont think it will happen.
The fighting team has a hockey problem

barnorthhockeyguy

Post by barnorthhockeyguy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:24 pm

Should be a great game. Hope the hunters win and get back to state before going AA when they combine with Central. They need to play 3 periods and stay out of the penalty box. Hunters in a close one 3 to 2 ot

gophers101

Post by gophers101 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:27 pm

nhl_combine wrote:I'd be happy for either team to win. Although it would be cool to see Denfeld go to state representing there school before they combine with Central.

Either way with a team winning 7-6 in OT.

I've seen both teams play and no doubt, talent wise, the Hawks are better. Talent doesn't always win games for you. Its talent mixed with heart,grit,desire. This is the last year Denfeld is, well, Denfeld. I think if they lay it on the line they can win this game. This could be your surprising upset of Class A playoffs.

puckrat

Post by puckrat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:49 pm

I'm hoping it will be a close game, but honestly I think Hermantown will win by 4 but after Denfeld winning in OT, I'm sure they have a ton of momentum.

Goodluck to Denfeld.

PiedmontHeights

Post by PiedmontHeights » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:03 pm

Is there any way this game gets moved to either the DECC or Wessman Arena? Cloquet is a bit small of a venue for this game. It doesn't look like the DECC is being used on Friday night for a hockey game, as the 7A final is on Wednesday, the 7AA final is on Thursday, the UMD men are at Alaska-Anchorage, and the UMD women are at the final five at Ridder Arena. Wessman would probably be a bit better size wise. The UWS men are done for the year and I have no idea on their women's team.

I hope that Denfeld can come up with the upset, but my mind tells me Hermantown will be ready to play. 5-2 Hermantown.

gabbyman

Post by gabbyman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:08 pm

PiedmontHeights wrote:Is there any way this game gets moved to either the DECC or Wessman Arena? Cloquet is a bit small of a venue for this game. It doesn't look like the DECC is being used on Friday night for a hockey game, as the 7A final is on Wednesday, the 7AA final is on Thursday, the UMD men are at Alaska-Anchorage, and the UMD women are at the final five at Ridder Arena. Wessman would probably be a bit better size wise. The UWS men are done for the year and I have no idea on their women's team.

I hope that Denfeld can come up with the upset, but my mind tells me Hermantown will be ready to play. 5-2 Hermantown.
Didn't Denfield just win in OT against STMA and one goal game against Catherdral?? Don't see them staying even close to Hermantown if they just squeked by those two teams, especially STMA.

fkahckyprofessor20

Post by fkahckyprofessor20 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:08 am

gabbyman wrote:
PiedmontHeights wrote:Is there any way this game gets moved to either the DECC or Wessman Arena? Cloquet is a bit small of a venue for this game. It doesn't look like the DECC is being used on Friday night for a hockey game, as the 7A final is on Wednesday, the 7AA final is on Thursday, the UMD men are at Alaska-Anchorage, and the UMD women are at the final five at Ridder Arena. Wessman would probably be a bit better size wise. The UWS men are done for the year and I have no idea on their women's team.

Didn't Denfield just win in OT against STMA and one goal game against Catherdral?? Don't see them staying even close to Hermantown if they just squeked by those two teams, especially STMA.
I know only the final score matters, but Denfeld outshot STMA 44-24 and they outshot Cathedral 39-29. This is high school hockey and looking at teams on paper never does a future game justice. On paper Hermantown should have throttled Denfeld a couple weeks ago but instead they were down 3-0 in the third before a big comeback gave them a 5-4 OT win. Hermantown's goalie was shaky at best in that game and that's a big reason why Denfeld was able to jump out to a lead like that. I would expect a competitive game on Friday night and I don't think there is a single outcome that will surprise me, because hey, it's high school hockey and anything can happen.

FlyByNight

Post by FlyByNight » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:18 am

I was at the Hermantown game on Saturday. The team from Rogers couldn't have had any more than 50 fans in attendance, and the stands were fairly full. No way you can fit fans from both schools in the rink at Cloquet. I would suggest arriving no later than 6:00 if you have any hope of getting a seat.

I would hope there is a way of getting this game moved.

DMan-dad

Post by DMan-dad » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:27 am

From what I understand, the game won't be moved to the DECC because Plante is happy with the current location. Anyone going to the game, make sure you get there after me so I get a good parking spot and seat! By the way, was this game originally scheduled for Thursday and then moved to Friday? Some of the early schedules including the calendar on hermantownhockey.com show the game at 7:00 Thursday.

FlyByNight

Post by FlyByNight » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:02 am

DMan-dad wrote:From what I understand, the game won't be moved to the DECC because Plante is happy with the current location. Anyone going to the game, make sure you get there after me so I get a good parking spot and seat! By the way, was this game originally scheduled for Thursday and then moved to Friday? Some of the early schedules including the calendar on hermantownhockey.com show the game at 7:00 Thursday.
No. The game is for sure on Friday.

PiedmontHeights

Game will be in Cloquet

Post by PiedmontHeights » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:31 pm

I spoke with a member of the section committee and the game will definitely be held in Cloquet at 7:00. Doors will open at 5:30 and no tickets will be sold in advance. Denfeld wanted to move the game to the DECC, but Hermantown refused. I guess the section committee wanted to have it in Cloquet as well, as the rent is 1/3 the cost of the DECC. The member I spoke with said that a section semifinal between Denfeld and Hermantown in recent years only drew a little over 1,000 people. That played a part in the committee's decision as well.

HSH1212

Post by HSH1212 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:20 pm

dirtracing17 wrote:i think denfeld can pull this one off if they can play 3 periods of hockey. they took them to overtime before. when i saw ampe play a game before playoffs, wasnt that impressed as there record shows. hermantown hasnt beaten any team ranked about them. hope northern mn will have a good showing at state
That's because they are ranked third to fifth in the state in almost every poll. There aren't many teams for them beat ahead of them. However, I do agree that Hermantown doesn't have an impressive schedule. It's quite weak.

Unless Ampe doesn't show up, Hermantown will win this easily. They outplayed Denfeld handily the first time.

Hermantown 4
Hunters 1

BigWorm

Post by BigWorm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:36 am

If Denfeld can shut down Krause's line I think they have a very good chance of winning. Denfeld's goalie, Thompson could be the difference, he plays good angles and is an athletic keeper. He seemed very poised for a freshman during the semifinal game but who knows how he will react to the atmosphere of his first section final. The younger Talarico could have a good game, he is very quick, shifty, and works his tail off. It will be interesting to see how Plante matches the lines, with Hermantown having last shift. My Prediction:

Hunters - 4 (ot)
Hawks: - 3

hshockeyfan53

Re: Game will be in Cloquet

Post by hshockeyfan53 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:50 am

I think that the committee should have not used past attendance numbers to weigh their decision. Last year's section semi-final between the Hawks and Hunters wasn't even supposed to be a game. Hermantown beat them 7-0 during the regular season so nobody really bothered to show up to the semis and it was still pretty full in there. This year it's different as people are expecting a game with the last one going into OT. Also, there are people out there like myself who just show up at random section finals to watch some good hockey. That place is going to be packed tomorrow night! Unless you want to stand the whole game (which works for some) plan on getting there no later than 6:15 or you will be parking and walking from Super One. :)
PiedmontHeights wrote:I spoke with a member of the section committee and the game will definitely be held in Cloquet at 7:00. Doors will open at 5:30 and no tickets will be sold in advance. Denfeld wanted to move the game to the DECC, but Hermantown refused. I guess the section committee wanted to have it in Cloquet as well, as the rent is 1/3 the cost of the DECC. The member I spoke with said that a section semifinal between Denfeld and Hermantown in recent years only drew a little over 1,000 people. That played a part in the committee's decision as well.
:D :D :D

hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:54 am

HSH1212 wrote:
dirtracing17 wrote:i think denfeld can pull this one off if they can play 3 periods of hockey. they took them to overtime before. when i saw ampe play a game before playoffs, wasnt that impressed as there record shows. hermantown hasnt beaten any team ranked about them. hope northern mn will have a good showing at state
That's because they are ranked third to fifth in the state in almost every poll. There aren't many teams for them beat ahead of them. However, I do agree that Hermantown doesn't have an impressive schedule. It's quite weak.

Unless Ampe doesn't show up, Hermantown will win this easily. They outplayed Denfeld handily the first time.

Hermantown 4
Hunters 1
Yeah when you are ranked in the top 5 all year there's not any room to beat higher ranked teams. Good point. However I think that people weigh the strength of schedule way to much. Who cares who teams play during the regular season. If they perform during the postseason then what's the difference? :) Example.... 2007 Hawks 8)

PiedmontHeights

Post by PiedmontHeights » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:08 pm

I think that the committee should have not used past attendance numbers to weigh their decision. Last year's section semi-final between the Hawks and Hunters wasn't even supposed to be a game. Hermantown beat them 7-0 during the regular season so nobody really bothered to show up to the semis and it was still pretty full in there. This year it's different as people are expecting a game with the last one going into OT. Also, there are people out there like myself who just show up at random section finals to watch some good hockey. That place is going to be packed tomorrow night! Unless you want to stand the whole game (which works for some) plan on getting there no later than 6:15 or you will be parking and walking from Super One.
I totally agree. I really wish they'd at least put 500 tickets on sale at each school before the game so one can eat a comfortable dinner and get in the arena at 6:45 without having to wait in line forever.

TuckerMax93

Post by TuckerMax93 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:42 pm

The venue was too small to hold Cathedral/Denfeld two years ago...I would imagine with two large fan bases and local teams that there will be many people turned away. Parking will be terrible as well. That said, it will be loud in there.
Last edited by TuckerMax93 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're here. We're there. We're everywhere.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Will this game be on TV?

hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:05 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Will this game be on TV?
It isn't supposed to be which makes ZERO sense to me. Channel 10 puts on the Hibbing/Virginia game when both of those schools are an hour out of Duluth and aren't local teams. Then tonight you got the East/Elk River game which has one local team playing. Now tomorrow night, you have two local teams within 10 minutes of each other and they aren't on tv??? So to sum it up.... 2 games on tv, 4 teams with only one being a local team. Disappointing.