Section 5A Final

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Winner?

Hermantown
67%
Duluth Denfeld
33%

Total votes: 39

BigWorm

Post by BigWorm » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Ampe had a pretty solid game, he really needs no simmer down with his celebrations when Hermantown scores though, he celebrates more than the person who scores. Denfeld's goalie Thompson had a great game, look for him to be a future star considering he's only a freshman. It was a packed house in Cloquet. All standing room areas were 3 deep, along the whole walking track, and behind the nets on the lower level. This might have been the biggest crowd ever in the "new barn". Did anyone see Krause's goal? I was on the other end of the rink and from my angle, no way did that go in. Good luck to Hermantown in St. Paul

dirtracing17

Post by dirtracing17 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:41 pm

BigWorm wrote:Ampe had a pretty solid game, he really needs no simmer down with his celebrations when Hermantown scores though, he celebrates more than the person who scores. Denfeld's goalie Thompson had a great game, look for him to be a future star considering he's only a freshman. It was a packed house in Cloquet. All standing room areas were 3 deep, along the whole walking track, and behind the nets on the lower level. This might have been the biggest crowd ever in the "new barn". Did anyone see Krause's goal? I was on the other end of the rink and from my angle, no way did that go in. Good luck to Hermantown in St. Paul
ha i noticed the same thing when i saw him earlier. after every goal goes for a skate pumping his fist.

BigWorm

Post by BigWorm » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:44 pm

dirtracing17 wrote:
BigWorm wrote:Ampe had a pretty solid game, he really needs no simmer down with his celebrations when Hermantown scores though, he celebrates more than the person who scores. Denfeld's goalie Thompson had a great game, look for him to be a future star considering he's only a freshman. It was a packed house in Cloquet. All standing room areas were 3 deep, along the whole walking track, and behind the nets on the lower level. This might have been the biggest crowd ever in the "new barn". Did anyone see Krause's goal? I was on the other end of the rink and from my angle, no way did that go in. Good luck to Hermantown in St. Paul
ha i noticed the same thing when i saw him earlier. after every goal goes for a skate pumping his fist.
Yea he kind of hot dogged it in front of the Denfeld student section a couple times. Emotions are high in games like this, but I saw him against Rogers and he did the same exact thing. I also noticed a few Virginia players watching this game, I think both Hermantown and Virginia can do some damage in St. Paul.

nickmon3

Post by nickmon3 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:48 pm

BigWorm wrote:
dirtracing17 wrote:
Yea he kind of hot dogged it in front of the Denfeld student section a couple times. Emotions are high in games like this, but I saw him against Rogers and he did the same exact thing. I also noticed a few Virginia players watching this game, I think both Hermantown and Virginia can do some damage in St. Paul.
I agree with that last sentence. I am not a real big fan of either team, but both teams are strong this year and it would be nice to see some northern teams be able to go down there and win some games.
The fighting team has a hockey problem

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:58 pm

Right off I'll say this was by far the best of the 5 high school games I saw this week.. that shouldn't surprise anyone considering the 7AA semi's were shutouts and the 7A and 7AA championship games were not really competitive either. Denfeld had too many turnovers in their own zone and that's what cost them tonight.. it was still a really fun game to be at, and I kind of hope the Denfeld/Central combination can give a good showing in 7AA with their much larger enrollment making them a AA school starting next year (at least as far as everyone in Duluth has said they'll be AA in hockey anyway.)

I have an obvious bias as to having the game in the CARC, being from Cloquet so it's hard to argue that it should have been at the DECC. I also didn't have to fight for a seat so that skews my argument also. Sure, the game would have probably drawn as much as the 7A game (4k+ I believe) did on Wednesday but would you get the small arena atmosphere that we had in Cloquet tonight? It really reminded me of the Cloquet/East games in the old Barn next door where people were "hanging from the rafters" to see the game.

Northhcky

Post by Northhcky » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:18 pm

How can you say "no way did that go in" if you were all the way at the other end of the rink? I was in the corner by the goalie and Krause fired that wrist shot so hard that it was in the net and hit the back crossbar and back out so fast you could hardly see it but the back of the net moved and the ref was right there and called goal instantly as it was.

BigWorm

Post by BigWorm » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:25 pm

Northhcky wrote:
How can you say "no way did that go in" if you were all the way at the other end of the rink? I was in the corner by the goalie and Krause fired that wrist shot so hard that it was in the net and hit the back crossbar and back out so fast you could hardly see it but the back of the net moved and the ref was right there and called goal instantly as it was.
I said from my angle, I was asking if anyone saw it, you saw it so apparently it went in. Rick Weegman from the Duluth News Tribune also thought it was a controversial goal as well. http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... roup/home/
Last edited by BigWorm on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:26 pm

DHMN wrote:Right off I'll say this was by far the best of the 5 high school games I saw this week.. that shouldn't surprise anyone considering the 7AA semi's were shutouts and the 7A and 7AA championship games were not really competitive either. Denfeld had too many turnovers in their own zone and that's what cost them tonight.. it was still a really fun game to be at, and I kind of hope the Denfeld/Central combination can give a good showing in 7AA with their much larger enrollment making them a AA school starting next year (at least as far as everyone in Duluth has said they'll be AA in hockey anyway.)

I have an obvious bias as to having the game in the CARC, being from Cloquet so it's hard to argue that it should have been at the DECC. I also didn't have to fight for a seat so that skews my argument also. Sure, the game would have probably drawn as much as the 7A game (4k+ I believe) did on Wednesday but would you get the small arena atmosphere that we had in Cloquet tonight? It really reminded me of the Cloquet/East games in the old Barn next door where people were "hanging from the rafters" to see the game.

It seems like 7a and 7aa really gets ridiculed more every year. Yes the Final score of the 7a game was 3-0 but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good game. In the semi's you had 4 top 20 teams that had close games with virginia coming out on top of marshall 3-2 and hibbing over the falls 3-1. Yes, Hermantown and Denfeld had a close game tonight, but I wouldn't say it was a "better game". Remember Hermantown, and Denfeld switched to 5a, and did marshall back to 7a. So not getting the decc?? 7A teams always have good turnout's by their fans and supporters and usually get good media coverage. Why 5a wasn't televised is beyond me, it should have been but once again, they've always covered the 7a and 7aa finals on one of the duluth tv stations. Denfeld played a great game tonight, but as most people predicted Hermantown came out with the win.
Northern Minnesota, Now that's real Hockey!

dirtracing17

Post by dirtracing17 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:33 pm

i may be wrong, but i think the teams in 7a all beat denfeld this year. i know hibbing did 6-2 and virginia beat them to. virginia played a great game wednesday and got some lucky bounces. but to say it was a wash is so wrongly stated

mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:38 pm

dirtracing17 wrote:i may be wrong, but i think the teams in 7a all beat denfeld this year. i know hibbing did 6-2 and virginia beat them to. virginia played a great game wednesday and got some lucky bounces. but to say it was a wash is so wrongly stated
I think your right, unless central played them, they probably lost.

ryno44

Post by ryno44 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:40 pm

mnhockeynemn wrote:
DHMN wrote:Right off I'll say this was by far the best of the 5 high school games I saw this week.. that shouldn't surprise anyone considering the 7AA semi's were shutouts and the 7A and 7AA championship games were not really competitive either. Denfeld had too many turnovers in their own zone and that's what cost them tonight.. it was still a really fun game to be at, and I kind of hope the Denfeld/Central combination can give a good showing in 7AA with their much larger enrollment making them a AA school starting next year (at least as far as everyone in Duluth has said they'll be AA in hockey anyway.)

It seems like 7a and 7aa really gets ridiculed more every year. Yes the Final score of the 7a game was 3-0 but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good game. In the semi's you had 4 top 20 teams that had close games with virginia coming out on top of marshall 3-2 and hibbing over the falls 3-1. Yes, Hermantown and Denfeld had a close game tonight, but I wouldn't say it was a "better game". Remember Hermantown, and Denfeld switched to 5a, and did marshall back to 7a. So not getting the decc?? 7A teams always have good turnout's by their fans and supporters and usually get good media coverage. Why 5a wasn't televised is beyond me, it should have been but once again, they've always covered the 7a and 7aa finals on one of the duluth tv stations. Denfeld played a great game tonight, but as most people predicted Hermantown came out with the win.
The best games I have seen this year were the 2 semi final games for 7A.

Northhcky

Post by Northhcky » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:46 pm

BigWorm wrote:
Northhcky wrote:
I said from my angle, I was asking if anyone saw it, you saw it so apparently it went in. Rick Weegman from the Duluth News Tribune also thought it was a controversial goal as well. http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... roup/home/
Ya i read that. From what i remember though i never saw Denfelds coaching staff even talk to the refs to question it. So they must of saw it as a goal too. Don't know why Weegman would try to start something like that when the coaching staff didn't argue it. But then there is no love in the Duluth media for Hermantown so that might explain it. Only to try and suggest Denfeld got robbed and Hermantown stole the game i guess.

mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:49 pm

Yes, who knows how long marshall will stay in 7a, but I can see Hibbing, Virginia and Int'l Falls being the top competitors in the section for at least the next few years, always have good games and are good rivals.

sinbin006

Post by sinbin006 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:46 pm

Northhcky wrote:
BigWorm wrote:
Northhcky wrote:
Ya i read that. From what i remember though i never saw Denfelds coaching staff even talk to the refs to question it. So they must of saw it as a goal too. Don't know why Weegman would try to start something like that when the coaching staff didn't argue it. But then there is no love in the Duluth media for Hermantown so that might explain it. Only to try and suggest Denfeld got robbed and Hermantown stole the game i guess.
I watched it on the news twice; it was in.

PiedmontHeights

Post by PiedmontHeights » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:48 am

Northhcky wrote:
BigWorm wrote:
Northhcky wrote:
BigWorm wrote:
Ampe had a pretty solid game, he really needs no simmer down with his celebrations when Hermantown scores though, he celebrates more than the person who scores. Denfeld's goalie Thompson had a great game, look for him to be a future star considering he's only a freshman. It was a packed house in Cloquet. All standing room areas were 3 deep, along the whole walking track, and behind the nets on the lower level. This might have been the biggest crowd ever in the "new barn". Did anyone see Krause's goal? I was on the other end of the rink and from my angle, no way did that go in. Good luck to Hermantown in St. Paul

I watched it on the news twice; it was in.
I was one standing at the end above Krause's goal, couldn't see it and had no idea there was any controversy until I got home and saw Weegman's article online. So I watched it on the news as well on both (WDIO and KBJR) and there's no way you could tell for sure if it was in or not if you did not have a DVR. I'd actually say it was more likely that it wasn't in with the way it bounced, but it certainly could have gone in.

Too bad this game was not played at the DECC. The line to get tickets at 5:30 was two blocks long. At the very least, they should have put tickets on sale at the schools. Incredible atmosphere, but I'm 6'3" and I could only see about half the game.

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:11 am

I haven't got the photos posted yet and won't until after I get back from Minneapolis (UMD women in WCHA tourney).. I got blocked by another camera lens when the puck hit metal and only have the before and after frames... but the deflection that went through the opposite faceoff circle at least physically COULD have hit the inside post and went to that side-wall.

I'm not sure it could have just hit the crossbar and went that direction from where Krause shot it, it would have come straight out or went up over the net. (I think!?)

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/spo ... html?video Northland Newscenter video, hard to tell but if you freeze it at 1:10-1:12 it looks like it went under and down in the net and to the side.

The WDIO video online isn't good enough (bright) quality to even see the puck so I won't even post that link.

fkahckyprofessor20

Post by fkahckyprofessor20 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:00 am

DHMN wrote:I haven't got the photos posted yet and won't until after I get back from Minneapolis (UMD women in WCHA tourney).. I got blocked by another camera lens when the puck hit metal and only have the before and after frames... but the deflection that went through the opposite faceoff circle at least physically COULD have hit the inside post and went to that side-wall.

I'm not sure it could have just hit the crossbar and went that direction from where Krause shot it, it would have come straight out or went up over the net. (I think!?)

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/spo ... html?video Northland Newscenter video, hard to tell but if you freeze it at 1:10-1:12 it looks like it went under and down in the net and to the side.

The WDIO video online isn't good enough (bright) quality to even see the puck so I won't even post that link.
I paused the video at the perfect moment and I can see a black blur on the crossbar.. I'm not looking to start an argument because it is what it is, but what I'm looking at says no way was that a goal.

PiedmontHeights

Post by PiedmontHeights » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:14 am

fkahckyprofessor20 wrote:
DHMN wrote:I haven't got the photos posted yet and won't until after I get back from Minneapolis (UMD women in WCHA tourney).. I got blocked by another camera lens when the puck hit metal and only have the before and after frames... but the deflection that went through the opposite faceoff circle at least physically COULD have hit the inside post and went to that side-wall.

I paused the video at the perfect moment and I can see a black blur on the crossbar.. I'm not looking to start an argument because it is what it is, but what I'm looking at says no way was that a goal.
Wow, no question the official missed that one. Too bad they can't use replay until the state tournament. Hermantown may have ended up winning the game anyway, but you hate to see them win it on a bad call.

It should be fun next year when Denfeld is back in AA. I assume they'll go into Section 7. Hopefully Hermantown will opt up soon as well, as they are long past the point where they'd be overmatched by teams like Duluth East and Grand Rapids.

gabbyman

Post by gabbyman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:02 am

PiedmontHeights wrote:

Wow, no question the official missed that one. Too bad they can't use replay until the state tournament. Hermantown may have ended up winning the game anyway, but you hate to see them win it on a bad call.

It should be fun next year when Denfeld is back in AA. I assume they'll go into Section 7. Hopefully Hermantown will opt up soon as well, as they are long past the point where they'd be overmatched by teams like Duluth East and Grand Rapids.

Then you may go back to Denfeld getting a "good" no call by either ref in OT when STMA's goalie is hurt and the play goes on for 7-8 seconds before they put the puck in the net. The play should have been called from what people say here so it goes both ways for Denfeld.

fkahckyprofessor20

Post by fkahckyprofessor20 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:16 pm

gabbyman wrote:
PiedmontHeights wrote:

Then you may go back to Denfeld getting a "good" no call by either ref in OT when STMA's goalie is hurt and the play goes on for 7-8 seconds before they put the puck in the net. The play should have been called from what people say here so it goes both ways for Denfeld.
Actually, some posters stated that the rule says the whistle is not blown on an injured player until his own team touches the puck. STMA quit on the play, never touched the puck, and so they didn't blow the whistle. There was nothing wrong with that call.

gabbyman

Post by gabbyman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:19 pm

gabbyman wrote:
PiedmontHeights wrote:

Actually, some posters stated that the rule says the whistle is not blown on an injured player until his own team touches the puck. STMA quit on the play, never touched the puck, and so they didn't blow the whistle. There was nothing wrong with that call.

Rule states it is up to the refs or linesman to make the call if he thinks he is injured. If you read some of the post here at the beginning, people who were there stated it should have been whistled as the goalie never moved in the crease. It is a judgment call and they did not call it so it will be back and forth but Denfeld won. It is the refs call just like the goal.