Duluth East @ Elk River: 7AA Final

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Winner?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Sarsland
42%
Randolph
58%

Total votes: 55

DuluthHockeyBoy

Post by DuluthHockeyBoy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:41 pm

Good game by the Hounds- I was a little disappointed by ER. But, as I have said all along, outside DE I think this section was fairly weak this year despite all the noise to the contrary.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:41 pm

Goldfishdude wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
mj79 wrote:great game for east JoJO played great, looked really calm in nets..

Now I just hope they can get through the first round at state to make up for the upset last year.. Our luck we'll pull tonka first round :roll:
If either Blaine or Hill lose tomorrow they'll get the 4-seed, which would be great to have. I like having the late night game at well, great atmosphere. So let's hope for that...
............ and if my ex-WBL team upsets H-M, and East faces WBL, East can make reservations for a semifinal game, eh???
That's perfect! It'd be just like my freshman year... *sigh* the nostalgia's setting in...

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:53 pm

Wow. Just wow. Who saw this coming? Not East winning, but by a four goal margin? I sure as heck didn't. Great job, boys!

Of secondary importance (but yet another reason to be grinning tonight) was PageStat picking up another game on the seedings and going +6 so far.

I seem to remember someone saying to "just shoot" on Jeanetta earlier in the season, someone who's favorite goalie didn't fare quite so well tonight as Jo Jo. Far be it for me to rub salt in the wound, but.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Regardless of what happens next week down in St. Paul, this season has been a success for East, more so than last season. Not many people were picking them to win 7AA at the start of this season, and some had them pegged third or fourth.

Wow.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:59 pm

east hockey wrote:Wow. Just wow. Who saw this coming? Not East winning, but by a four goal margin? I sure as heck didn't. Great job, boys!

Of secondary importance (but yet another reason to be grinning tonight) was PageStat picking up another game on the seedings and going +6 so far.

I seem to remember someone saying to "just shoot" on Jeanetta earlier in the season, someone who's favorite goalie didn't fare quite so well tonight as Jo Jo. Far be it for me to rub salt in the wound, but.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Regardless of what happens next week down in St. Paul, this season has been a success for East, more so than last season. Not many people were picking them to win 7AA at the start of this season, and some had them pegged third or fourth.

Wow.

Lee
I agree completely...for the first time in 5 years, I'm completely satisfied with what the Hounds have achieved, regardless of what comes next. Which hopefully means they can head to the X with nothing to lose.

Congrats to Elk River on a good year also, though it clearly didn't end the way they wanted it to go.

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:14 pm

Congrats East! Good to see a northern team coming out of a northern section. Still would have preferred the Elks. Stupid home ice advantage :wink: :roll:

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:21 pm

DHMN wrote:As someone from Cloquet, it's a little hard to pick East in any game but.. I can see the same 4-1 score from last season's section final, especially if the Greyhound defense plays as well in front of it's net as they did against Andover.
OK, so I was off by a goal.. ..

No offense to Elks fans but Elk River looked terrible.. couldn't pass the puck at all and couldn't get it into the zone.. it looked exactly like the UMD/Minnesota game Friday night to me, where UMD couldn't take the zone and tried to skate it in all the time and always lost possession of the puck.

When they did get in they didn't get many good shots, though they did hit a post in the first period that could have given them the jump they needed to at least put up a better game.

BigWorm

Post by BigWorm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:07 pm

The fifth goal of the game was one of the nicest goals I've seen in awhile. It was a three on one and I thought Welinski was going to pull the trigger for sure. East was by far the better team tonight. I was looking at the program handout at the DECC tonight and realized East has been above .500 every year since 1952-53 when they were 3-4, that is insane. Good luck to East in St. Paul.

slyer

Post by slyer » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:12 am

toews is god 19 i'm hear, remember i don't just have go up the hill to be home , east played great and the elks didn't put forward there best effort. they can't be ashamed of getting to the finals now if they could win one, maybe if they were at home :wink: :wink: as far as jaremko, he is the player that was in 3rd in class aa goal scoring during the reg. season, not many of the elks came to play tonight

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:27 am

I seem to remember someone saying to "just shoot" on Jeanetta earlier in the season
For that statement to occur the Elks would have had to buzz the offensive zone and that did not happen as Elks went lifeless in the 2nd. The East goalie will see rubber in St. Paul you can count on that. Hope East is ready to play when they get to St. Paul, if not it is 2 and out.

slyer

Post by slyer » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:19 am

yah i did say just shoot on him cause he let in 3 goals on 14 shots when they played in er. how long has it been since de has played an away game in the playoffs, because if they have been a 1 or 2 seed for all these years then that means they never have had to travel for a game,something doesn't seem right about that

EHSHack

Post by EHSHack » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:49 am

East had an away game last night. No seriously, the uni's don't lie!
Go Hounds.

dave_bulldog

Whinning....

Post by dave_bulldog » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:19 am

Slyer quit your whining.....I can't handle it anymore so...

Elk River never complained when they were in 8AA and Moorhead/Roseau had to travel to St Cloud for final games...neutral site....4 hrs vs 45 min...not.

Elk River has played (and practiced) more in the DECC then DE has...maybe they should get a good night sleep in their own bed the night before rather than Sup WI...

The difference in the game was depth...SARS only plays two lines and when he comes accross a team that has three balanced lines, he get flustered, his third line has never skated more than once or twice in a period.

As far as fans...there were more ER fans there then DE last night...

There is no "central site" that would make you happy...if it was in GR... then you would complain about that...they have to consider ALL the teams and fans in 7AA...

My coach always sad the REFs and FANS don't decide games...the players do...good players don't put themselves in a position to let them decide it...

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:22 pm

As far as fans...there were more ER fans there then DE last night...
I think that should be clarified and put as .. there were more non-East fans than East fans..

mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:36 pm

karl(east) wrote:
east hockey wrote:Wow. Just wow. Who saw this coming? Not East winning, but by a four goal margin? I sure as heck didn't. Great job, boys!

Wow.

Lee
I agree completely...for the first time in 5 years, I'm completely satisfied with what the Hounds have achieved, regardless of what comes next. Which hopefully means they can head to the X with nothing to lose.

Congrats to Elk River on a good year also, though it clearly didn't end the way they wanted it to go.

I had a feeling this year they would take state. Looks good for the north, glad to see 7aa would be represented by an actual northern team.
Northern Minnesota, Now that's real Hockey!

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:53 pm

As close as Elk River came to scoring last night

More pics from last night

If East doesn't land (the favorite?) Minnetonka in the first round, they might have a shot at the finals if they can win a quarterfinal game and build confidence.

Toews is god 19

Post by Toews is god 19 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:01 pm

did jaremko touch the puck the whole game??? still think hes comparable to decowski? no way! im glad we finally ended this debate and jaremko showed he is definitely not half as good as the mr. hockey canidate.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:59 pm

Toews is god 19 wrote:did jaremko touch the puck the whole game??? still think hes comparable to decowski? no way! im glad we finally ended this debate and jaremko showed he is definitely not half as good as the mr. hockey canidate.
East shut down Decowski's line in the semifinals, so I'm not sure what last night's game proved so far as the Jaremko/Decowski argument.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:19 pm

It's pretty clear that each section that has a building large enough, that's what is going to be used. Maybe Elk River needs to petition to move to the St. Cloud area, for geographical purposes. When the Target Center gets 11,000, and the St. Paul Colesium reaches the 5,000 seats, the DECC or Rochester Civic Arena (???) are going to get the business.

Elk River and the Lakeville schools are more the exception than the rule for section travel for metro teams - is that fairly accurate?

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:41 pm

Goldfishdude wrote:It's pretty clear that each section that has a building large enough, that's what is going to be used. Maybe Elk River needs to petition to move to the St. Cloud area, for geographical purposes. When the Target Center gets 11,000, and the St. Paul Colesium reaches the 5,000 seats, the DECC or Rochester Civic Arena (???) are going to get the business.

Elk River and the Lakeville schools are more the exception than the rule for section travel for metro teams - is that fairly accurate?
I'd throw Andover and Buffalo into that group also.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:01 am

I don't get it!! My oldest is a soph in the high school program at Forest Lake. I have Four more in the youth progams. We [and I think I can speak for everyone] would love to go to the DECC every year. Next year for two games. Hopefully. It's two games. Make a day out of it. ROADTRIP. Compared to youth hockey, Two trips north at the end of the year is nothing. Congrats to both teams. Good luck at state Hounds. Should be at least 5 seed. Blaine or Hill both are beatable.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:41 am

old goalie85 wrote:I don't get it!! My oldest is a soph in the high school program at Forest Lake. I have Four more in the youth progams. We [and I think I can speak for everyone] would love to go to the DECC every year. Next year for two games. Hopefully. It's two games. Make a day out of it. ROADTRIP. Compared to youth hockey, Two trips north at the end of the year is nothing. Congrats to both teams. Good luck at state Hounds. Should be at least 5 seed. Blaine or Hill both are beatable.
oldgoalie, move those kids to Grand Rapids than you will only have a 90 minute trip to the DECC :wink:

Penalty Shot

Post by Penalty Shot » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:11 am

Congrats and good luck to the Hounds at State. If they play like they did against Elk River they will be difficult to beat, the D and Goaltending have risen to the occasion and are formidable.
Karl and Lee I disagree a little about your thoughts on this team compared to past years. Last years team was dynamic and after 3 years of disappointments and underachieving last years team showed the heart and determination of a champions while losing a game to Cretin that many experts would suggest would not happen again in 50 games. A true heartbreaker to a group of kids who deserved a better fate.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:36 am

NORTHWOODS... I would love to live up there. Then the wife would know what it means to live up north. she complains as is about the drive to Maplewood Mall, or rosedale. She's as bad as an Elk River fan.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Penalty Shot wrote:Congrats and good luck to the Hounds at State. If they play like they did against Elk River they will be difficult to beat, the D and Goaltending have risen to the occasion and are formidable.
Karl and Lee I disagree a little about your thoughts on this team compared to past years. Last years team was dynamic and after 3 years of disappointments and underachieving last years team showed the heart and determination of a champions while losing a game to Cretin that many experts would suggest would not happen again in 50 games. A true heartbreaker to a group of kids who deserved a better fate.
I would definitely agree that last year's team had so many more demons to exorcise--this year probably couldn't have happened without the experience gained last year.

All in all, it's great to see the group with less talent than last year's squad come together as a team this year and overachieve. Last year at times it just felt like we were waiting for something to go wrong; that feeling is gone now.

Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:12 pm

old goalie85 wrote:NORTHWOODS... I would love to live up there. Then the wife would know what it means to live up north. she complains as is about the drive to Maplewood Mall, or rosedale. She's as bad as an Elk River fan.
:lol: :lol: Oldgoalie, make sure you send me a PM to give me heads-up if you know your wife is trekking down 35E/694, so I can make sure I am not on the roads... Taint nothing worse than a complaining/angry woman driver on her way to shop.....

(I hope this statement doesn't get me banned!!!)