Duluth East @ Elk River: 7AA Final

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Winner?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Sarsland
42%
Randolph
58%

Total votes: 55

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

slyer wrote:hopefully he will be outstanding tonight and help the elks get to state, as far as the gophs, who knows don't believe everything you hear. all i can say is he started as a freshman and has played almost every minute in the nets since. as far as easts easy path, make it so they DON'T have home ice advantage every year and there path would be much tougher. something NEEDS to be done, i didn't see section 8 being played in roseau or moorhead. get this final out of this old dirty dump
It will not change no matter how much you whine about it. Focus on the Elks beating East.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

7AA winner will place at least 3rd. Top to 5th or 6th seed as goog as any other section.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

slyer wrote:hopefully he will be outstanding tonight and help the elks get to state, as far as the gophs, who knows don't believe everything you hear. all i can say is he started as a freshman and has played almost every minute in the nets since. as far as easts easy path, make it so they DON'T have home ice advantage every year and there path would be much tougher. something NEEDS to be done, i didn't see section 8 being played in roseau or moorhead. get this final out of this old dirty dump
Games played at the DECC this season:

East 2
Elk River 1

Wow!! A huge advantage to East!!! You sure your team wants to waste their time driving all the way up here to the Yukon tonight? Might as well just hand East the 7AA trophy. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Rudy9

Post by Rudy9 »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the few years they moved the semi-finals or finals to Hibbing, East won every game they were in. I believe they are undefeated on the road in the playoffs over those years, including a section final win against Hibbing. Since that would mean all East playoff loses have happened at the DECC, maybe they should move it somewhere else. :wink:
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Anyone recording this game. I'd like to get a DVD copy.
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

East 4 ER 2 ENG.

Will any of the north metro teams be moved out when Denfeld is in 7AA? I think that moving Andover and ER out and having 7AA be an 8 team section would make sense. That way there isn't a ridiculous situation like ER driving 2.5 hours to play a section final in their opponents back yard.
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

mulefarm wrote:The hounds take it 3-1. The only section that has home ice advantage!!
Both 1 AA and 1 A finals are played in Rochester. It is not exactly fair, but it is the only facility with in the section that can accommodate the big crowds that a section final brings.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36825542@N07/3393638840/

Link to my photostream on flickr from 2006 section/state
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

curtiscurve wrote:
mulefarm wrote:The hounds take it 3-1. The only section that has home ice advantage!!
Both 1 AA and 1 A finals are played in Rochester. It is not exactly fair, but it is the only facility with in the section that can accommodate the big crowds that a section final brings.
O What A Towna has a nice facility for section crowds...

But, understand the Home Ice point CC...
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

The long drive shouldn't be an issue next year, when the semi-finals will be East, Rapids, CEC, and Denfeld.
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

rapidsrapids wrote:The long drive shouldn't be an issue next year, when the semi-finals will be East, Rapids, CEC, and Denfeld.
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

We don't mind the drive from F.L. [Hope to make it every year from now on]
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Rudy9 wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the few years they moved the semi-finals or finals to Hibbing, East won every game they were in. I believe they are undefeated on the road in the playoffs over those years, including a section final win against Hibbing. Since that would mean all East playoff loses have happened at the DECC, maybe they should move it somewhere else. :wink:
East hasn't lost a section playoff game on the road since Virginia beat them in the 1993 quarterfinals.

Since 1990, East has been 33-8 at home, 11-1 on the road. Sure, send the Hounds to St Cloud or Hibbing! :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
12to14

Post by 12to14 »

breakout wrote:I should start a poll.

Yes or No, does Duluth have one of the easiest paths to the state tournament year in and year out?

Compared to some sections, undoubtably.
Hill has the easiest by far. Elks all the way - Go FRANKEEEEE
Toews is god 19

Post by Toews is god 19 »

Two NWSC teams in the tourney???? this is going to be wonderful! go elks
DHMN

Post by DHMN »

Youngblood10 wrote:I haven't had a chance to see Anders Franke play yet, how good is he? Somebody that knows him really well told me that he's been contacted by the Gophers already...Is that legit?
If it is.. Lucia has yet more problems besides people calling for his head on 'gpl' .. college coaches aren't supposed to be allowed to contact players while they're Freshmen or Sophomores. A player can 'write' a coach they want to play for as Freshmen or Sophomores, and can call the coach in their Junior year and set up unofficial visits.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

mulefarm wrote:And Randolph has to apply for the Head job?
Yes, Randolph has to re-apply for his job next year.

Will someone be able to provide updates from the Duluth area? This game isn't being broadcasted online, which is a travesty.
slyer

Post by slyer »

wow is east great, nobody can beat them there to good. what a bunch of clowns
backrinkrat

Post by backrinkrat »

Taking the HOUNDS 4-2 en. Go hounds! :D :D
DuluthHockeyBoy

Post by DuluthHockeyBoy »

DE has certainly had one of the top programs in the state over the past couple decades, but I would stop short of saying that section 7AA has been a tough section to get out of over the same period. While there have certainly been some strong teams and a couple years with several top teams in this section, on average I think the path for a perennial contender like DE has been easier than some of the other top programs in the state.
I mean no disrespect to great programs like Cloquet, GR, Greenway- they all produced some excellent teams over this timeframe. But these programs (I know ER is different) don't have the same population, numbers, or a youth program that also is a perennial state participant at the PeeWee and Bantam A and B levels feeding their program like DE does every year- I think its harder for them to field consistently strong teams because they have less to draw from year in and year out.
I have been watching this section for 15 years, and IMO, I think that in most of those years DE has had the most depth and talent in the section- on paper. What makes this section great is that every year you can throw all this out the window, because despite what it looks like on paper- these teams are coming, and they have had success against DE.
Also- despite the home/road records and all that jazz...playing the section final in Duluth is an advantage to DE. Every coach would want the game in their town- even if its not at their "home" rink.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

DHMN wrote:
Youngblood10 wrote:I haven't had a chance to see Anders Franke play yet, how good is he? Somebody that knows him really well told me that he's been contacted by the Gophers already...Is that legit?
If it is.. Lucia has yet more problems besides people calling for his head on 'gpl' .. college coaches aren't supposed to be allowed to contact players while they're Freshmen or Sophomores. A player can 'write' a coach they want to play for as Freshmen or Sophomores, and can call the coach in their Junior year and set up unofficial visits.
Rumors are funny business.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Any idea where I can catch the game online tonight? Radio or video?

Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:Any idea where I can catch the game online tonight? Radio or video?

It's not on anywhere. :evil: :evil: :evil:
ubugme

Post by ubugme »

karl(east) wrote:
EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:Any idea where I can catch the game online tonight? Radio or video?

It's not on anywhere. :evil: :evil: :evil:
It bugs me there's such a lack of interest...
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

east hockey wrote:
what's better, dirtier elk river arena with a pathetic seating capacity, terrible sight lines, oh and it's elk river, not beautiful Duluth. Bottom line is the better team will win regardless of the rink. The DECC is the best venue outside of marriucci and the Xcel in Minnesota. The Decc has great history and the seating is great! Bottom line is you can't find a better rink for this, Hibbing is a close second, but doesn't have enough seats for it anymore when gr and cec are there.