Final Section playoff is joke

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Lakeviewing

Final Section playoff is joke

Post by Lakeviewing »

Some how the Minnesota State Hockey League to figure out how to get the top High School hockey teams to play off in the State Tournament. This would be good for additional revenue and attendence. Sorry that Section 2 and 6 have the top rated teams. Over the past years, the metro teams have dominated. Sections 2 and 6 truely have had superior teams, but only two teams represent this section. Lets mix in some the the Section 2 and 6 teams into the other Sectional play. Teams like Burnsville, Eagan, White Bear, Anoka, Cennential, Hopkins, Woodbury and so on have very good teams, but given their sections have a tough section to play though. A Rochester, Lakeville like teams shouldn't in the Class 2AA sections.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Quite an original thought :idea: You lost me on Anoka though? Image
I believe you get your wish during the Schwan's cup and maybe 500 folks show up to watch the game. Very bad idea sir and the reasons are many. Sections playoffs are not a joke they are great hockey. I think your point was to realign sections to your liking for state tournament?
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

Lost me on "Some how" Can't tell if he wants everyone to play in section 2 and 6 or what.
johnnyquest

Post by johnnyquest »

No kidding !

I think if you insert the word "needs" between the words "league" and "to" in the first sentence, it might make more cents (just kidding-sense).
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

The section finals bring in a ton of revenue for, what 8 venues, and some of them out-state which is good for their economy.
In the cities we get some of the best hockey of the year with the Section 2 and 6 being played at a large venue. This year they can pack 14k - 16k if that many people show up at the Target Center. Not to mention all the adults will probably hit the bars before and after the games.
In other sections they play at the Coliseum and the DECC and the RRC so they can bring people in large numbers for them. The sad part about Rochester is that the two teams most likely to make it are from Lakeville.

The state tournament, at least the AA tournament, fills for most of the whole time and does not have trouble with revenue for the building or the surrounding restaurants, with the exception of Chipotle which closes at 5 in St. Paul. If they were smart they would stay open or open a "remote" location near the X for the three days.
hockeysuburb

Post by hockeysuburb »

The grammar here is killing me.
bobforhockey

Typical elitist BS

Post by bobforhockey »

Typical Elitist BS by Lakeviewing

I think no team south of Duluth should be allowed to play because the TC teams buy their titles with indoor rinks and summer programs. If you can't play the game the way God intended (outside) you shouldn't be playing! (sarcasm for the clueless) :twisted:
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

I can't even begin to express how tired I am of people coming on here and complaining how unfair it is that 6AA and 2AA have it so tough and how teams like Lakeville and Rochester don't belong in the State tournament. We have such a great thing going in the state of Minnesota with our High School Hockey and our play-off system. Sure, we could change things and make sure all the top teams make it to the tourney. Get all the large city public schools and their hated neighboring private schools to participate and leave all others behind. This would ruin all the progress we have made toward growing the sport in Minnesota. Look at all the interest the section playoffs creates in communities like Rochester, New Ulm, Duluth, Moorhead, Alexandria, Little Falls Warroad, and Roseau just to name a few. Hockey is growing and thanks to USA vs Canada, the NHL may be making a come back as well. Why would we take away the state wide excitement just to ensure that 8 cities teams make the big dance. Lakeviewings post would make Herb Brooks roll over in his grave. He was the greatest hockey ambassador to come out of this state and his mission was to provide more opportunities not less. Stop complaining and enjoy the greatest sport during its most exciting time of the year.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Curtis, that just might be the best post I've read on this forum. WELL DONE!!!
northwoods oldtimer

If we want to tweak let us do it right at regional level. Best of 3 series in sections for Quarter, Semi and Final series, higher seed gets the home ice advantage. Kids are playing great hockey this time of year. It would be nice to get around to the rinks to watch the great programs we have in the state duke it out. Too many great games and it is impossible to be in two places at once. The 3 game series would benefit our programs and would showcase the Minnesota hockey player even more than the very short 25 game schedule currently allows. By state tournament time (last week of March) the teams would be battle tested and playing great hockey.
shakey

Post by shakey »

curtiscurve wrote:I can't even begin to express how tired I am of people coming on here and complaining how unfair it is that 6AA and 2AA have it so tough and how teams like Lakeville and Rochester don't belong in the State tournament. We have such a great thing going in the state of Minnesota with our High School Hockey and our play-off system. Sure, we could change things and make sure all the top teams make it to the tourney. Get all the large city public schools and their hated neighboring private schools to participate and leave all others behind. This would ruin all the progress we have made toward growing the sport in Minnesota. Look at all the interest the section playoffs creates in communities like Rochester, New Ulm, Duluth, Moorhead, Alexandria, Little Falls Warroad, and Roseau just to name a few. Hockey is growing and thanks to USA vs Canada, the NHL may be making a come back as well. Why would we take away the state wide excitement just to ensure that 8 cities teams make the big dance. Lakeviewings post would make Herb Brooks roll over in his grave. He was the greatest hockey ambassador to come out of this state and his mission was to provide more opportunities not less. Stop complaining and enjoy the greatest sport during its most exciting time of the year.
Amen!
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Everybody is right, you are just not listening to each other very well.

Who thinks its fair that seven of the top 8 teams are in two sections?

The MSHSL should do everything it can to get to get the best teams while still honoring regional representation. It is not really hard to do.

You can use the regions that are in place, but you just need to pay attention to the teams. They reallocate regions every two years. You can look at past and predicted success to move some programs around. Wayzata can go up with the northern suburbs. Eagan and Burnsville can play Lakeville instead of Edina. The Lakevilles are not top metro teams and do not help regional representation.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Regardless of where you come from, the team to go 6-0 (or 7-0 if you're lucky) is the state champ. Who cares if the top 8 are in one section or not? Who cares if you lost your second game or your fifth or even your sixth? Which ever it is, you aren't the champ.
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

Trojanhorse wrote:Everybody is right, you are just not listening to each other very well.

Who thinks its fair that seven of the top 8 teams are in two sections?

The MSHSL should do everything it can to get to get the best teams while still honoring regional representation. It is not really hard to do.

You can use the regions that are in place, but you just need to pay attention to the teams. They reallocate regions every two years. You can look at past and predicted success to move some programs around. Wayzata can go up with the northern suburbs. Eagan and Burnsville can play Lakeville instead of Edina. The Lakevilles are not top metro teams and do not help regional representation.
Top 8 AA teams
1 Minnetonka
2 Eden Prairie
3 Wayzata
4 Blaine
5 Edina
6 Jefferson
7 Burnsville
8 Holy Angels

That should be the State Tournament? Now that is something the whole state can get excited about! The fact that only a couple of those teams make it to the big dance is what makes the section tournaments so great. By the way, the mighty 2AA representative was upended by a Moorehead team that many of you suggested didn't belong in the tournament. The section tournaments are great and the State tournament is second to none. The system is not broke and doesn't need fixing!
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

I think northwoods oldtimer has been listening to the Brainerd coach a little too much. Still sour grapes about losing to Roseau. The high school league is not going to adopt a 3 game series. This isn't college or pros, these are public/private high schools. Money isn't endless and schools could no way afford 3 games series.

Also to an earlier post. The metro teams may dominate at times, but it sure makes this tournament interesting to have an outstate team roll into the big city and win it once in awhile. Thats what keeps this tournament great. You can play your metro state tournament at the Schwann Cup if you want.
Anchorland

Post by Anchorland »

So what happens if Section 2 and Section 6 have a drop off in the future? Do we then complain that other sections should be shuffled? It is just the way it is, things change.
DuluthHockeyBoy

Post by DuluthHockeyBoy »

Curtiscurve: You are right on.
Not sure I would agree that the Tournament is "dominated" by metro teams. Over the last 10 years, 8 of 20 teams that played in the Championship game were outstate teams. Considering that there are 3 (at most) outstate teams participating every year, with 5 from the metro, I think the outstate sections are representing the non-metro sections pretty well. I am also wondering which metro team "dominated" a couple years ago when we had a Rapids/Roseau final? Who didn't enjoy seeing that?
It may not be perfect, but this tournament turns out to be great entertainment every year: both the state AND sectional tournaments. If we changed it to make it so the top 8 teams made the tournament each year, would that mean the best team would win? Not necessarily. You still have to beat good teams and win in- just like you do now.
What makes this tournament great is that it represents the best from AROUND the state, and EVERY team has a chance to get there- just win baby. All of the rivalrys, underdogs, outstate vs. metro, big school vs small school stuff this tournament brings together is tremendous. And often, the team that is supposed to win, doesn't. It happens almost every year- I never thought Moorhead would beat Edina last year, and they wouldn't have if we took the 8 "best" teams. If you want to go to state, win your section.
Sections change, and no matter what you do, some sections will be "tougher" to get out of because they will have better teams that year. That will always be the case, and it happens to most schools, and most sections over time. I'm sure a few years back there were teams from other sections that would have rather been in 6AA for sectionals.
We already have a tournament where we try to put the best 8 teams together- its called the Schwanns cup. And no HS hockey player goes to sleep at night dreaming of winning the Schwanns cup because it might have the "best" 8 teams in it.
Tweak when necessary, but as for the general fomat.....Let it Be.
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

As a Jr and Sr high kid in the early to mid eighty's I had the really good fortune to see some great games at the met in these section finals. the lower bowl would be packed and the student sections were rocking. Back then it seemed to be Edina vs Tonka and Jefferson vs Kennedy every year. EP was still mostly corn fields. Would be a shame to wreck this tradition by moving the strongest teams out. If anything I would shift around the 6 to 9 seeds once every 5 years or so. In our section you have teams like Armstrong and Hopkins that could make it through some of the other sections once in awhile but have virtually no shot in this section in year after year. I'm sure it was no different in St. Paul or up on the range in the 50s.

For the smaller youth association fed teams they would need a run that would have 3 huge upsets over top ten teams to make it St. Paul. That would require a Miracle (on ice or Reggie) and those just don't happen every decade.

Don't do anything drastic to the whole process because it isn't broken and it has been this way for a long time.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Zamman wrote:with the exception of Chipotle which closes at 5 in St. Paul. If they were smart they would stay open or open a "remote" location near the X for the three days.
Now this is the real problem with the State Tournament as it is right now.

I tried going there in between sessions last year and was stunned to find it closed. My dinner ended up being an overpriced sandwich from Starbucks. :x
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Couldn't they just expand the tourny and send the top two from each section?
northwoods oldtimer

I think northwoods oldtimer has been listening to the Brainerd coach a little too much. Still sour grapes about losing to Roseau. The high school league is not going to adopt a 3 game series. This isn't college or pros, these are public/private high schools. Money isn't endless and schools could no way afford 3 games series.
GreenandWhite, No disrespect to Roseau I just would like to see the Warriors get to state one time. Nice to see new teams in the tournament. I listened to your game on the internet feed and was impressed with the intensity. That is what prompted my thoughts on 3 games series. Sure they are not professionals but we churn out good hockey and 25 games is just not enough for high school hockey. Playoff hockey brings out the best in the kids as spirit of competition rises.
dump and chase

Post by dump and chase »

Anything can happen in a one game elimination playoff but that is what makes it so fun and competitive! Win or go home is the best way to play and i think we all enjoy the section final games leading up to the big tourney.. There is no way we should be changing anything aboutthe current system.. Enjoy the games as a fan in the state of hockey and watch these boys give there blood sweat and tears for the one shot at the state title!

Good Luck to All the teams still in the hunt!!!
darkdemon

Post by darkdemon »

Achie complain? Brainerd complain?
The DEMON
wbmd

Re: Final Section playoff is joke

Post by wbmd »

Lakeviewing wrote:Some how the Minnesota State Hockey League to figure out how to get the top High School hockey teams to play off in the State Tournament. This would be good for additional revenue and attendence. Sorry that Section 2 and 6 have the top rated teams. Over the past years, the metro teams have dominated. Sections 2 and 6 truely have had superior teams, but only two teams represent this section. Lets mix in some the the Section 2 and 6 teams into the other Sectional play. Teams like Burnsville, Eagan, White Bear, Anoka, Cennential, Hopkins, Woodbury and so on have very good teams, but given their sections have a tough section to play though. A Rochester, Lakeville like teams shouldn't in the Class 2AA sections.
I think the only joke is Lakeviewing
Potatohead9

NONOTHING OUTHOUSE

Post by Potatohead9 »

dump and chase wrote:Anything can happen in a one game elimination playoff but that is what makes it so fun and competitive! Win or go home is the best way to play and i think we all enjoy the section final games leading up to the big tourney.. There is no way we should be changing anything aboutthe current system.. Enjoy the games as a fan in the state of hockey and watch these boys give there blood sweat and tears for the one shot at the state title!

Good Luck to All the teams still in the hunt!!!
I bring special attention to the WIN OR GO HOME......

NONOTHING OUTHOUSE HAS YET TO LEARN THAT GO HOME MEANS BETTER LUCK NEXT YEAR AND QUIT COMPLAINING!
Thats Mr. Potatohead to you!