AA Quarter: Roseau vs. #2 Edina

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Edina or Roseau

Roseau
50%
Edina
50%

Total votes: 110

Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

dangles9 wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:Have to root for any team with a Broten on the team.
Also have to root for any team with a Nanne! :P

Little Lou from the Sioux gets one and an empty netter too.
5-3 Hornets
Nice! Gotta gice you props for that one-liner.

Neither team is bringing their strongest record to state this year and while Edina did what was once thought to be un-doable, coming from down 4 to beat Tonka they've also look vulnerable on many occaisions.

Haven't had a chance to actually watch the Rams but their competition isn't as strong as it once was but they seem to be able to find a way to win when they need to.

Edina - 5
Roseau - 3

Seems about right.
CitiesSpudsGuy

Hornets/Rams

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

While I think it would be extremely hilarious for Edina to lose in the quarterfinals against a Section 8 team for the 2nd year in a row that they were supposedly "heavily favored" to beat (according to some), I have to think Giles will have his team more than ready and motivated so history doesn't repeat itself. So I lean towards Edina in this one, but then I didn't expect the Spuds to actually beat Edina last year either. If Edina looks past Roseau, it could mean another early exit!

Go Rams!
(Did I really just say that? :shock: :lol: )
50+ years of Spuds Hockey
5th Line Center

Re: Hornets/Rams

Post by 5th Line Center »

CitiesSpudsGuy wrote:While I think it would be extremely hilarious for Edina to lose in the quarterfinals against a Section 8 team for the 2nd year in a row that they were supposedly "heavily favored" to beat (according to some), I have to think Giles will have his team more than ready and motivated so history doesn't repeat itself. So I lean towards Edina in this one, but then I didn't expect the Spuds to actually beat Edina last year either. If Edina looks past Roseau, it could mean another early exit!

Go Rams!
(Did I really just say that? :shock: :lol: )
Go Rams, indeed!!!! Let's hope they can do as well as the Spuds did last year. 8) I won't even dare to think that they could do better...at this point, anyhow... :wink:
BBB

Post by BBB »

Residents of Roseau love hockey. They have basketball teams etc..... they have put out some strong football teams as well as baseball...but in the end, it is hockey that is truley king. Maybe the players aren't as athletic, maybe they didn't play twin cities teams every week, maybe Edina's school has more students enrolled than Roseau has citizens...doesn't matter....Roseau has great hockey players.
Sa-weeeet poem. I actually shed a little tear reading that one. Did you write one for Brainerd too had they moved on in the playoffs?
defense

Post by defense »

BBB wrote:
Residents of Roseau love hockey. They have basketball teams etc..... they have put out some strong football teams as well as baseball...but in the end, it is hockey that is truley king. Maybe the players aren't as athletic, maybe they didn't play twin cities teams every week, maybe Edina's school has more students enrolled than Roseau has citizens...doesn't matter....Roseau has great hockey players.
Sa-weeeet poem. I actually shed a little tear reading that one. Did you write one for Brainerd too had they moved on in the playoffs?
What?
Far from a poem buddy. Just plain the truth. I'd say that possibly basketball or football was THE sport in Brainerd...not hockey. I hated Roseau for many years as well...easy to do. The fact remains that Roseau is hockey crazy...and they grow great players.
bjspud12

Post by bjspud12 »

mn miracle man wrote:
bjspud12 wrote:For all the people who have actually SEEN roseau play this year.. its gonna be ugly.
Cake eaters 6
Roseau 2
Don't hate on Roseau just because they ended the season of your precious spuds. They have some very talented players so give them credit, and with Kvidt playing a good game they have a chance against this Hornet squad.
K the spuds and rams have been rivals for years and its gonna stay that way. Even if roseau was the number one team in state I still wouldn't pick them and never will. That's how rivalries are meant to be. You wouldn't understand if you weren't from one of the two towns.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

bjspud12 wrote:
mn miracle man wrote:
bjspud12 wrote:For all the people who have actually SEEN roseau play this year.. its gonna be ugly.
Cake eaters 6
Roseau 2
Don't hate on Roseau just because they ended the season of your precious spuds. They have some very talented players so give them credit, and with Kvidt playing a good game they have a chance against this Hornet squad.
K the spuds and rams have been rivals for years and its gonna stay that way. Even if roseau was the number one team in state I still wouldn't pick them and never will. That's how rivalries are meant to be. You wouldn't understand if you weren't from one of the two towns.
A Warroad man wouldn't understand a rivalry with Roseau????
bjspud12

Post by bjspud12 »

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:
bjspud12 wrote:
mn miracle man wrote: Don't hate on Roseau just because they ended the season of your precious spuds. They have some very talented players so give them credit, and with Kvidt playing a good game they have a chance against this Hornet squad.
Warroad doesn't play roseau for the section championship every year..
Donger

Post by Donger »

bjspud12 wrote:
mn miracle man wrote: Don't hate on Roseau just because they ended the season of your precious spuds. They have some very talented players so give them credit, and with Kvidt playing a good game they have a chance against this Hornet squad.
Thats too bad Spud12. I am from one of the towns, and its not Moorhead. The funny thing is I was cheering for your team at state last year. I was glad a section 8 team beat Edina... and did well at state! Oh well, I guess some people just don't get it... rivalrys are a fun thing, but I feel you still have to tip your hat to the winner, and hope they represent the section well!! My two cents!!
hereorthere

Post by hereorthere »

I'm pretty sure Roseau played Warroad for the section championship almost every year prior to Roseau moving up to AA. And being from one of the two towns I would say the Roseau/Warroad rivalry is still bigger then the spuds/Rams. I also tipped my hat to the spuds last year after beating the rams, and was happy to see them beat Edina and do well at state...
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

Donger wrote:
bjspud12 wrote: K the spuds and rams have been rivals for years and its gonna stay that way. Even if roseau was the number one team in state I still wouldn't pick them and never will. That's how rivalries are meant to be. You wouldn't understand if you weren't from one of the two towns.
Thats too bad Spud12. I am from one of the towns, and its not Moorhead. The funny thing is I was cheering for your team at state last year. I was glad a section 8 team beat Edina... and did well at state! Oh well, I guess some people just don't get it... rivalrys are a fun thing, but I feel you still have to tip your hat to the winner, and hope they represent the section well!! My two cents!!
Couldn't agree more, Donger. I love when both Warroad and Roseau make it to state just because than there is a possibility that both northern teams can bring home the big trophy. I'd rather see a tophy in Roseau than Edina.
Roseau '71er

Post by Roseau '71er »

warriors41 wrote:
Donger wrote:
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:A Warroad man wouldn't understand a rivalry with Roseau????

Couldn't agree more, Donger. I love when both Warroad and Roseau make it to state just because than there is a possibility that both northern teams can bring home the big trophy. I'd rather see a tophy in Roseau than Edina.
I went to the Class A championship several years ago. Warroad was playing Red Wing. I went fully prepared to cheer for Red Wing. Almost every fan at the game was cheering for the Wingers. It felt as if a brother I fought with every day was in a fight with a stranger. Who would I support in that situation? The brother, of course. I found myself supporting my brother (Warroad) with all my might.
northwoods oldtimer

Agree

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

I'd rather see a tophy in Roseau than Edina.
warrior absolutely correct and I am with you all the way! The Edina folks would like the trophy on their shelf and that is what makes hockey great in our state :!:
salol44

Post by salol44 »

Roseau '71er wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Donger wrote:
I went to the Class A championship several years ago. Warroad was playing Red Wing. I went fully prepared to cheer for Red Wing. Almost every fan at the game was cheering for the Wingers. It felt as if a brother I fought with every day was in a fight with a stranger. Who would I support in that situation? The brother, of course. I found myself supporting my brother (Warroad) with all my might.
Totally agree with 71,41, hereorthere, donger, and actual. I was part of the R and W rivalry, and the R and M rivalry. It was great to play in those games. But anyway, Anytime a section 8 team goes to state I will cheer for them. I was hoping Mhead could pull it off last year, I was also hoping that the Warriors could pull it off but they ran into a team that was better at recru.....(I'm kidding, sorry for the cheapshot). Bottom line is that you take pride in where you are from, if someone from the area beats you...you better hope they take home the trophy because those are the kids you grew up playing against....for the most part, it will make you feel better....it may take a couple 5 or 6 years, but eventually it will sink in.
Hoops

Post by Hoops »

Pucklvr wrote:The following was Written by: HShockeywatcher (Don't want to get into trouble for Plagerism!!!) There, now your info is on this post! I agree, I like your info!!

"This is the one match up in both brackets where the unseeded team has a better record than the seeded one. These two teams don't play each other too often; the last time they met at state was the 1998 quarterfinals that the Rams took 4-3 in OT. (I suspect it's the last time they've played too)

Edina has definitely proven much more with who they've played this season, but the 8AA team is definitely not one to count out as it was Moorhead last year who spoiled Edina's shot at a state semi-final game.

The winner is likely to play Blaine, who Edina has beaten by a goal twice and Roseau has lost to by a goal once.

Good luck to both teams"

Thanks for the info HShockeywatcher
apparently HSHW needs to watch a little more hockey...try 1:00 on Thurs.
wingmaster

Post by wingmaster »

defense wrote:Residents of Roseau love hockey. They have basketball teams etc..... they have put out some strong football teams as well as baseball...but in the end, it is hockey that is truley king. Maybe the players aren't as athletic, maybe they didn't play twin cities teams every week, maybe Edina's school has more students enrolled than Roseau has citizens...doesn't matter....Roseau has great hockey players.
Roseau 4
Edina 1
I was going to say the same thing about Edina, just need to add a BMW in the garage

Edina 4
Roseau 1(Ness with 1 Assist)
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

I suppose I should live up to my name on this one; Edina takes it 5-1. Image
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

Edina 5
Roseau 2
HOUNDS
HockeyFan1

Post by HockeyFan1 »

Roseau '71er wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Donger wrote:
Ditto, I was at that same game and had the same thing happen to me........I also said "Good luck" to some Moorhead fans one year and cheered for them - that even surprised me :)
Roseau '71er

Post by Roseau '71er »

HockeyFan1 wrote:
Roseau '71er wrote:
warriors41 wrote: Couldn't agree more, Donger. I love when both Warroad and Roseau make it to state just because than there is a possibility that both northern teams can bring home the big trophy. I'd rather see a tophy in Roseau than Edina.
Ditto, I was at that same game and had the same thing happen to me........I also said "Good luck" to some Moorhead fans one year and cheered for them - that even surprised me :)
Yeah, my thoughts were, 'You don't know them well enough to hate them, that's our thing!' :D
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I can't wait for game time!!!!!
218-to-State

Post by 218-to-State »

mn miracle man wrote:
Cake eaters 6
Roseau 2
Im not hating. But Iwill say that I am a spud fan. People that are saying this team is gonna be like last years spuds against edina are out of their minds. The Moorhead team was much stronger last year. And better goaltending. I was at the section final game on Wednesday and Roseau didn't play any good. They looked terrible in fact. Kvidt just had a good game and Bitzer let in a soft one early in the first.

But to my point, if Roseau plays ANYTHING like the way they played against MHD on Wednesay and Edina comes out swingin', this could legitimately be running time. But even if Roseau plays well and Edina plays well, it will still be a 3 goal margin of victory for the Hornets at the least.
218-to-State

Post by 218-to-State »

bjspud12 wrote:
mn miracle man wrote:
Cake eaters 6
Roseau 2

My brother played on the runner-up Moorhead team last year and over the years he had played with Landman and Micheal Lee on summer teams. So they are family friends to us. ANd after the Section Final game last year my dad talked to Landman and he told my dad, to tell my brother to "f***kin represent section 8 well". So it just goes to show that even the players want their own section to do well.
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Pucklvr wrote:
Cake eaters 6
Roseau 2
I know an old saying. Green with Envy.
There's another old saying.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfdpcrOg ... 7&index=64

Roseau.... in the upset 3-2....
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

218-to-State wrote:
mn miracle man wrote:
Cake eaters 6
Roseau 2
Im not hating. But Iwill say that I am a spud fan. People that are saying this team is gonna be like last years spuds against edina are out of their minds. The Moorhead team was much stronger last year. And better goaltending. I was at the section final game on Wednesday and Roseau didn't play any good. They looked terrible in fact. Kvidt just had a good game and Bitzer let in a soft one early in the first.

But to my point, if Roseau plays ANYTHING like the way they played against MHD on Wednesay and Edina comes out swingin', this could legitimately be running time. But even if Roseau plays well and Edina plays well, it will still be a 3 goal margin of victory for the Hornets at the least.

And I bet you also picked a victory for the Hornets last year . . . . . .