HM and Minnetonka 3/12/10 @ 8:00Pm

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Winner

HM
32%
Tonka
68%

Total votes: 47

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

My God, what a game. Where do I even start?

I guess I'll mention defense first...I have never seen any game anywhere close to this one with such good team defense, both ways. Tonka was great as we've come to expect, but Hill did a spectacular job of shutting down what seemed sure to be odd-man rushes. Their speed and depth was on display tonight...before the game, my thought was "Tonka should win by a few, but never underestimate a Lechner-coached team in March." That man gets such incredible efforts out of his teams, no matter how much talent he may have on hand.

Shaughnessy did a great job controlling his rebounds; I felt awful for him, watching him lie flat on the ice for a good five minutes after the game-winner went in. Kruger also made some huge saves when he needed to. And props to those of you who called Baskin on the game winner; his line played surprisingly well.

The atmosphere at the X tonight was spectacular. We fell 300 fans short of the attendance record, but the place was nuts even before we went to OT. Credit the Hill section for really coming out tonight and giving their all, and Tonka for putting forward their best effort as well. It was great to see a lot of the fans from the first games, even the students, stick around. Also, a special shoutout to 206...I was to their left on the club level tonight, and it was great to hear all the craziness up there. I don't care if you guys get thrown out, you give the building much-needed life and are part of what makes this tourney special.

A few more shoutouts...I love the monkey suit people. Also, the people sitting around me tonight played a very entertaining game tonight that I'd definitely recommend...bring a huge pile of $1 bills, and have each person pick a number 0-9. Every time there's a whistle and the clock stops on your number, everyone pays you $1. And finally, a hello to Mark Elliott--I saw you walk by at some point, but it didn't register in my mind until it was too late to say hi. (The jacket makes you nice and easy to identify.)

Nights like this one are the reason I love this game. I can't imagine what East-AV must have been like; my blood pressure was through the roof by the end of the game, and I didn't even have a rooting interest. We'll be talking about this one for years...but first, we have a few trophies to hand out. One last day of hockey tomorrow...what a ride it's been.
Lakeviewing

Gardiners Play

Post by Lakeviewing »

Thanks for some else overseeing Gardiners play. This should have been a game where a "Gopher recruit" should have dominated here, like the EP Sectional game, but gave an average effort here. Hill played a great game here taking the body and protecting the front of the net.
MNSportsRube wrote:havent been impressed by Gardiner at all...I've been watching him during his shifts...seems really lazy. doesn't hustle back or move his feet unless he has a chance to get the puck. I dont know if its just because they've played several games, but in my opinion hes not playing like a complete player. The U definitely does NOT need this type of player, especially after tonights game up in UND..
pecochran

Post by pecochran »

hockeydad wrote:
EHSHack wrote:
MNSportsRube wrote:havent been impressed by Gardiner at all...I've been watching him during his shifts...seems really lazy. doesn't hustle back or move his feet unless he has a chance to get the puck. I dont know if its just because they've played several games, but in my opinion hes not playing like a complete player. The U definitely does NOT need this type of player, especially after tonights game up in UND..
Its the 7th period dude get real. No one is playing 100% except the net minders.
I was listening on the radio. Saterdalen made a similar observation, but then noted that Gardiner had mono...
I thought the same thing. I was convinced that he was really lazy (first time I saw him play), but then I kept watching him for the rest of the game, and something did appear to be wrong with him. He just couldn't push the whole time. He was clearly picking his spots. He struggled over the boards a couple of times, I thought he was weirdly upright for a lot of his faceoffs (like maybe his back was bothering him?), and he just generally wasn't skating very hard. Either there was something wrong with him, or he really wasn't trying very hard tonight. I'm convinced he wasn't feeling right, especially because towards the end of the game, he wasn't even trying to take the puck and go with it. He was pretty much staying stationary and passing it off.

Anyway, what an awesome game. Hope tomorrow night's is just as good!
Lakeviewing

Kind of like last year

Post by Lakeviewing »

Kind of like last year when EP won in OT. Hill deserved some credit in playing Tonka to the end. Hill pushed and Tonka was reeling back. I don't think they didn't give Hill enough credit here.
Goldfishdude wrote:
youngblood08 wrote:
sachishi4 wrote:Play like champions boys, take the 3rd place trophy and make us proud. Hell of a game, you are part of history.

On a side note, the kids decked out in completely Stillwater hockey gear cheering for HM and yelling how badly they wanted to play for HM someday made me smile. The pipeline is never gone ;)

Glad they could be there to help you fill up the stands, I know you run a little short in that catagory too. See they will go Cheer for some of those guys, not all of them are classless.
Youngy, I didn't see the Ponies kids there, but on behalf of the WBL people, my hats off to your kids that went and supported H-M, too..

I know I get crap from my WBL people about being a H-M fan, but..... it really is pretty easy to do when you see the effort and quality of play.

PPG, pioneers, sachs man, northsider and all the other H-M fans out there, I tip my cap, and I will never be ashamed to say I am a H-M supporter.
WBLHockeyfan04

Re: Gardiners Play

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

Lakeviewing wrote:Thanks for some else overseeing Gardiners play. This should have been a game where a "Gopher recruit" should have dominated here, like the EP Sectional game, but gave an average effort here. Hill played a great game here taking the body and protecting the front of the net.
It was pointed out earlier that Gardiner is playing with mono. So he obviously isn't at 100%. Give the kid a break, he obviously is a really good player, and one game, which he had some good scoring chances. Shouldn't be used to rip a player. I've seem him play a few times this year, and have been quite impressed with him overall.
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

I don't think you could intentionally create a more perfect state highschool hockey game than this one that spanned over two separate days.

Hill, having been a team that usually starts out slow in the first, I think surprised everyone, even Tonka with how hard and fast they came out. They took it to Tonka, outshot and in my opinion outplayed them for most of the game. Kruger kept his team in it, without him standing on his head, the game would've been over in regulation. Top notch defense from both sides. Casto for Hill looked like a real leader and Holl and Hesketh kept Hill's forwards way off to the sides, forcing easy shots for Kruger to handle.

Just a phenomenal game.

Edit for spelling - it is late after all :wink:
Last edited by hockeyfan893 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Factsmatter1

Post by Factsmatter1 »

One of the most fantastic sporting events I have witnessed. Exceeded my very high expectations. Jacques Lemare would have been proud of the trap Hill put on Tonka which shut down their high powered offense. It literally took the Tonka coach 2.5 periods to figure out the counter. HM coaching staff deserves a lot of credit.

This was a tale of two games. HM owned the first 2.5 periods and then Tonka took over in OT. What a treat for all of us fans to watch. My hats off to two tremendous teams who neither deserved to lose. Good luck to both of them tomorrow.
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

Goldy-
I completely agree with you about Lechner. He is an incredible coach. HM plays great team defense, and tonight was another example of that. They kept the #1 team in MN to a mind boggling amount of shots in regulation, and played with poise all night long.

I was also really impressed with French, and sophomore Charlie Sampair, That kid can skate. Hell of a game played by HMs forwards as well.

Shaunessy(sp?) played well. Tonka had some solid looks, and he kept making the save. Tough goal to end the night, but after the effort and being it the 7th period, no reason to hang your head.

Being a WBL grad, I NEVER root for HM, but tonight I just had to. They play such a good team game, its hard not to pull for them. Lechner has them playing their best near the end of the season annually. They play fast, WELL DISCIPLINED, TEAM HOCKEY. As Goldy mentioned earlier, I also dream WBL had what Lechner brings to a program. They should be proud of the show they put on for the X fans tonight.
Gained a lot of respect for HM tonight.
Edger

Post by Edger »

Great posts guys.
That was one for the ages.
Fantastic effort and superb goaltending.
It truly was sad that one team had to lose that game.
Lechner is a great coach, he had his team doing exactly what it needed to do. H-M gave all and were the better team much of the night. But Tonka got stronger and did what it took to stay alive. And Urick is getting there. He's really learned how to coach the past couple weeks. Being the most-talented team on the ice doesn't win you the game at this level.
He may look like Adam Sandler, but he's starting to coach like Scotty Bowman. :lol:
Great night for HS hockey. Just two great teams battling it out for almost 90 minutes.
The State of hockey salutes you!
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

I have to laugh at everyone who talked trash all year that HM played in a bad conference & section & was overrated. A bigger laugh is towards Youngy who probably still believes his Ponies could beat this club. :shock:

As for the game itself, I wasn't shocked by the HM performance, nor was I shocked by the outcome. Great call by Lex to wear black. They only bring them out in certain situations and last night was one of them. Given the way Hill played the night before I suspected a much better effort last tonight. I knew the team relished a rare opportunity to be the underdog. Lex is a master at using various methods of motivation and this one was an easy one. The kids played hard & smart & kept coming. If you watched closely, you saw the little fist bumps to teammates after the whistles throughout the game. The group played as 1. Had they not, they get beat by several goals to a team that had more individual talent.

The Skippers deserved topped billing. They are loaded with talent & fun to watch. They are so sound in their own end and never really gave Hill too many great scoring chances. Same can be said for Hill.

The atmosphere was wonderful. The applause between OTs from everyone as if to say, "Great job teams. Here's a little boost to keep us entertained." Looking around & seeing young/old smiling, laughing, schmoosing, cheering, sliding back into their seats as the horn sounded yet another OT, was special. It's the magic that makes this event what it is. People coming together to share the love of the game and experiencing a part of Minnesota culture.

Congrats to both teams. You represented yourselves, school, and families extremely well. I wish you both luck today/tonight and the memories of this game will only get better as time goes by. For last night I say =D>
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

On a happier note, got a chance to see Duke Pieper last night. He is up walking and is getting better. Stay strong Duke, youre an inspiration
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
observer

Post by observer »

Zero penalties. Now that's interesting. Beautiful game when played correctly.
BBB

Post by BBB »

I have to laugh at everyone who talked trash all year that HM played in a bad conference & section & was overrated. A bigger laugh is towards Youngy who probably still believes his Ponies could beat this club. Shocked

As for the game itself, I wasn't shocked by the HM performance, nor was I shocked by the outcome. Great call by Lex to wear black. They only bring them out in certain situations and last night was one of them. Given the way Hill played the night before I suspected a much better effort last tonight. I knew the team relished a rare opportunity to be the underdog. Lex is a master at using various methods of motivation and this one was an easy one. The kids played hard & smart & kept coming. If you watched closely, you saw the little fist bumps to teammates after the whistles throughout the game. The group played as 1. Had they not, they get beat by several goals to a team that had more individual talent.

The Skippers deserved topped billing. They are loaded with talent & fun to watch. They are so sound in their own end and never really gave Hill too many great scoring chances. Same can be said for Hill.

The atmosphere was wonderful. The applause between OTs from everyone as if to say, "Great job teams. Here's a little boost to keep us entertained." Looking around & seeing young/old smiling, laughing, schmoosing, cheering, sliding back into their seats as the horn sounded yet another OT, was special. It's the magic that makes this event what it is. People coming together to share the love of the game and experiencing a part of Minnesota culture.

Congrats to both teams. You represented yourselves, school, and families extremely well. I wish you both luck today/tonight and the memories of this game will only get better as time goes by. For last night I say Applause
Great post, I was really impressed by HM and how they bottled Tonka up. It's one thing to have a good plan in place but they stayed with it a executed it to a t. Both goalies played great and Tonka came away fortunate enough to get one by the Hill goalie. I had hill as the #2 seed before the tourney and most people don't realize they were 26-2-1 going into last night...not bad.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Factsmatter1 wrote:One of the most fantastic sporting events I have witnessed. Exceeded my very high expectations. Jacques Lemare would have been proud of the trap Hill put on Tonka which shut down their high powered offense. It literally took the Tonka coach 2.5 periods to figure out the counter. HM coaching staff deserves a lot of credit.

This was a tale of two games. HM owned the first 2.5 periods and then Tonka took over in OT. What a treat for all of us fans to watch. My hats off to two tremendous teams who neither deserved to lose. Good luck to both of them tomorrow.
No that really isn't correct. Tonka really didn't "take over" the OT's. Rather their conditioning is what helped them become better. I would say as the OT's wore on, they at best became "even" with Hill towards the end. But there's no period I can think of they outplayed Hill. This was a game won by their goaltender.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

mnpuckster wrote:Goldy-
I completely agree with you about Lechner. He is an incredible coach. HM plays great team defense, and tonight was another example of that. They kept the #1 team in MN to a mind boggling amount of shots in regulation, and played with poise all night long.

I was also really impressed with French, and sophomore Charlie Sampair, That kid can skate. Hell of a game played by HMs forwards as well.

Shaunessy(sp?) played well. Tonka had some solid looks, and he kept making the save. Tough goal to end the night, but after the effort and being it the 7th period, no reason to hang your head.

Being a WBL grad, I NEVER root for HM, but tonight I just had to. They play such a good team game, its hard not to pull for them. Lechner has them playing their best near the end of the season annually. They play fast, WELL DISCIPLINED, TEAM HOCKEY. As Goldy mentioned earlier, I also dream WBL had what Lechner brings to a program. They should be proud of the show they put on for the X fans tonight.
Gained a lot of respect for HM tonight.
Puckie....... even though Chuck Sampair (H-M #14) played just one season in WBL as an A Bantam last year, my eyes were glued as much as I could any time he stepped foot on the ice. It goes to show you how much confidence Lex has in him, as he and the frosh LaValle were matched up versus Gardiner's line several times throughout the OT, and they responded.

And my extended tip of the hat to WBL's Kevin Schultze (H-M #2-eight).. Other than a couple miscues in handling the puck in OT 6, that he still recovered from and didn't allow a shot, the kid was fantastic on both ends of the rink, and should be a solid representative of wearing the "C" on his chest next year... What a player and hard worker!!!

As we approached the third OT, I looked at my son and said "Goldfishdude JR, you are witnessing in person what will go down as one of the all-time classic tournament games."
Last edited by Goldfishdude on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hankya

Post by Hankya »

No more crying Pioneerprideguy. Hey, I am not a big fan of Youngy either, but take notice, there were 5 ex-Pony's on the ice when the game was decided. Maybe a little something to think. Youngy gets the last laugh. :P
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

Sparlimb wrote:
FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:Hill will not be able to keep up with Tonka. Tonka in another beat down. Hill's only sliver of a chance to win tonight is if they play a physical game. Not sure Hill can do that.
Or maybe they kept up with them just fine.
They played a physical game which I didn't think they could. That Hill team is impressive, and will be good next year.
mn man

Post by mn man »

observer wrote:Zero penalties. Now that's interesting. Beautiful game when played correctly.
Agreed. Both teams play hard (esp HM) and clean. Great job by the refs letting them play.

I am thinking if Lechner was coaching Tonka last night and Urick was coaching HM, this game would have been 4-1 Tonka. Lechner seems to get more out of his teams at this time of year than they have shown prior. Tonka has the guns, but they just seemed to have no urgency in regulation, and they were lucky to take it to overtime. Kruger was definitely the man.

HM has nothing to hang their heads over, they played a committed game from start to end and very much deserved to win it. Good luck to the Skippers tonight!
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

Hankya wrote:No more crying Pioneerprideguy. Hey, I am not a big fan of Youngy either, but take notice, there were 5 ex-Pony's on the ice when the game was decided. Maybe a little something to think. Youngy gets the last laugh. :P
Pretty sure there were no tears shed, alot of pride, but no tears. Stillwater High School fans may laugh about the players they never had, but the Hill Murray players will smile at the experiences they have shared. These kids experienced something the Ponies never have. You take losing in sections & laughing & I'll take playing at state & smiling with pride. :wink:
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

How old is Lechner now? With the magic the coaching staff have it would seem like they could win another before it's all said and done.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Factsmatter1

Post by Factsmatter1 »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
Factsmatter1 wrote:One of the most fantastic sporting events I have witnessed. Exceeded my very high expectations. Jacques Lemare would have been proud of the trap Hill put on Tonka which shut down their high powered offense. It literally took the Tonka coach 2.5 periods to figure out the counter. HM coaching staff deserves a lot of credit.

No that really isn't correct. Tonka really didn't "take over" the OT's. Rather their conditioning is what helped them become better. I would say as the OT's wore on, they at best became "even" with Hill towards the end. But there's no period I can think of they outplayed Hill. This was a game won by their goaltender.
Come on N squared... Tonka had much better scoring chances than HM in OT as HM did over Tonka in regulation. And if you want to be take the pioneer pride angle chew on this one... I thought the reffing was awful and it strongly favored a HM outcome. HM was clutching and grabbing and tripping Gardiner and Frawley all night and the refs didn't call jack. The TV replays made it very clear that HM was committing infractions all night against Tonka and in particular seem to key on these two. Tonka plays more of a skill game and it worked to their disadvantage. With all the celebrating I hear about how great this game was that their were no penalties... Any moderately intelligent hockey fan would agree that there were a lot of penalties against Tonka but none were called... I hope the refs tonight are better. I really thought High School Hockey was trying to move away from the clutch and grab style of play which was alive and well last night at the X... To HM's credit they capitalized on this until Tonka wore them out which took until OT...
mj79

Post by mj79 »

espnmobile8 wrote:Did anybody see the two or three Minnetonka girls that looked like they were about to flash some guys? I swear to God, after the goal just wait and you will see these girls pulling their shirts up in the student section. Nothing comes of it, so maybe they were just hot and getting some airflow, but I would like some opinions on the matter.

my opinion.. Your a pedo
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

Wow, I'm still in shock... In my five years so far at Hill, I've seen some great hockey:

7th Grade:
2OT win over White Bear in the section championship
5-4 win over Tonka in the quarters
3-2 loss to Rapids in the semis

8th Grade
1 goal win over White Bear
6-5 OT loss to Century in the quarters

9th Grade
2 goal win over White Bear
Win over Lakeville South in the quarters
5-2 win over Roseau in the semis!
STATE CHAMPIONSHIP 3-0 over Edina!

10th Grade
2OT win over White Bear in Section Semis
2OT win over Stillwater in Section Championship
3-2 OT loss to Eden Praire in quarters

11th Grade
Blowout White Bear in section championship
5-3 come from behind win over Duluth East
2-1 4OT loss to Tonka :(

If my math's correct, that's 12 over times. No other fans have had what we've had over the last half-decade. Let's get third tonight, and do it again next year. Wow, I feel good ot be a Pioneer!
h-m fan

Post by h-m fan »

Very proud of the pioneers last night. I thought they had a good chance but I had no idea that they would be by far the better team for much of the game (in my opinion). Lechner did another great job. Congrats to Tonka, I will be cheering for you tonight to beat those stinkin hornets! I hope people wont underestimate Hill because of their "weak" schedule from now on. But then again same thing happened in '08 and people still didn't learn. Anyways, great game. Maybe the best I have ever witnessed at a state tourney. Both teams should be proud.
skol vikes and pioneers!
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Hey, fellas.....

I obtained exclusive footage from the Goldfishdude Sports Network on Tonka coach Brian Urick in the locker room after the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3d29Wn2y4w

... and also, my interview with....

Coach Bill "Lex" Lechner.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HObQdGsa ... A&index=36
Last edited by Goldfishdude on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.