How is the all tournament team picked? What a joke!

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

A.J. was better!!!
ssppuck

Post by ssppuck »

Yes Fasching is a great 9th grade player. Did he deserve all tournament team? No. I believe the media had something to do with it. His Speed needs to improve, and did not play both ways. Yes he was out alot on the penalty kill because he reads the play very well when there is a turnover he goes.. But the all tournament selection was Media Driven.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

ssppuck wrote:Yes Fasching is a great 9th grade player. Did he deserve all tournament team? No. I believe the media had something to do with it. His Speed needs to improve, and did not play both ways. Yes he was out alot on the penalty kill because he reads the play very well when there is a turnover he goes.. But the all tournament selection was Media Driven.
Obviously you didn't see Fasching catch Bjugstad on a backcheck and erase a potential scoring chance. Fantastic play. Also, I believe his speed his under-rated, mostly due to his size...It just doesn't look as if he is moving fast, especially on TV, but he is.....
Fire and Ice

Post by Fire and Ice »

Fasching deserved it as much as the Minnetonka players or the HM players. Let's remember the media and coaches vote for the all tourney team and he with his partner were responsible for shutting down Mr. Hockey. I dont think age has much to do with it other than a Bantam age kid looked and played better than most seniors and accelerated juniors in the state tourney. If points is the measurement than Joey Benik is Mr Hockey.
hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 »

Everyone would really hate how they do this for other sports. I know for soccer all 4 teams that lose in the first round still get at least 1 kid placed on the all-tournament team. Apple Valley beat Blaine 8-0 in the State Quarterfinals this year and Blaine still had a kid make the team, outrageous I know. I don't like that format at all especially because in soccer their is no consolation bracket you are just done playing.

My point is this, in hockey they aren't as generous but they wanted to give 1 to all 4 teams that advanced after the quarterfinals. If Gretz would've played very well agaisnt H-M in the 3rd place game he would have had it hands down, but he didn't have it for game 3. Then it is clearly Michaelson or Fasching. Both when on the ice were game changers I thought over the weekend, they could of gone either way since I feel they were obviously going to give one to an Apple Valley player. I think it is being made to big of a deal personally they will both continue to have great careers. Is this award really going to change that much? It's not trust me on that.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

One thine I've noticed through the years is that the all tournament team usually follows a simple formula. The champion will usually get around five players, second will get three or four. Than the other two teams that get into the semis will each get two. Its rare that a player on a team which loses in the first round gets on the team unless they score like three or four points against a really good team. The committee doesn't seem to take into account the consolation bracket when it chooses the team. That's probably why Knock from Roseau didn't get selected. Not saying it's the right or wrong way to do it, just something that appears to hold true.
dump and chase

Post by dump and chase »

if knochemnues sp? got 5 assists in one game, i believe he is deserving of all tournament team aswell. his team won more games than apple valley did so i dont understand why they think the bottom four teams shouldnt be included in that.
I am pretty sure that roseau won the same amount of games that Apple valley did and that was one!!

Great accomplishment my the kid.. You couldnt find him with a spot light when they played Edina.. That was a trend that continued over the weekend.. Edina shut down some very very good hockey players to take home the title..
hero12

Post by hero12 »

I sat in Apple Valley's student section the first game against Blaine, and I talked to a couple of bantam players. They mentioned how good Fasching was, so I paid extra attention to him the next couple games. I honestly thought their defense, number 14 I believe, played a lot better and did more for the team.

In the Hill vs. Apple Valley game we talked to a couple mshsl guys and they all had hardons for Fasching. I know he is a good player, but he didn't stand out or seem to have as much of an effect as other players from AV, mainly 14 and their goalie.
hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 »

hero12 wrote:I sat in Apple Valley's student section the first game against Blaine, and I talked to a couple of bantam players. They mentioned how good Fasching was, so I paid extra attention to him the next couple games. I honestly thought their defense, number 14 I believe, played a lot better and did more for the team.

In the Hill vs. Apple Valley game we talked to a couple mshsl guys and they all had hardons for Fasching. I know he is a good player, but he didn't stand out or seem to have as much of an effect as other players from AV, mainly 14 and their goalie.
No 14 on AV roster...#21 Sikich, #20 Smith, #24 Pedrie, #3 Leong. It would of been one of them if you liked someone on D the best.