First round pairings - what would you like to see?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

How would you like your first round games?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:14 pm

Seeding 1-4 and then drawing for opponents (like they do now)
16%
Seeding 1-8 and pairing 1-8, 4-5, 2-7 and 3-6.
39%
Go back to predermined pairings on a rotational basis.
29%
Have a random draw the Saturday before the tournament.
16%

Total votes: 31

hockeydad

First round pairings - what would you like to see?

Post by hockeydad » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:14 pm

Years ago, before seeding, people whined when two good teams would meet in the first round, saying that game should be played on Friday or Saturday.

Now, with seeding, people whine when all the first round games are blowouts and argue that it's not worth going to the first round games.

Personally, I liked the randomness of a predetermined pairing. If the only day I could make it to the tourney was for the opening round, I at least had a good chance of seeing two top teams battle it out. Not so much anymore - there are fewer first round upsets and it takes some of the fun out of the tourney.

What does everyone else think?.

Lucia4President

Re: First round pairings - what would you like to see?

Post by Lucia4President » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:49 pm

hockeydad wrote:Years ago, before seeding, people whined when two good teams would meet in the first round, saying that game should be played on Friday or Saturday.

Now, with seeding, people whine when all the first round games are blowouts and argue that it's not worth going to the first round games.

Personally, I liked the randomness of a predetermined pairing. If the only day I could make it to the tourney was for the opening round, I at least had a good chance of seeing two top teams battle it out. Not so much anymore - there are fewer first round upsets and it takes some of the fun out of the tourney.

What does everyone else think?.
Personally, I'd rather see the top teams play each other on Friday and Saturday. I like seeing upsets in the first round, and I realize they aren't as common now, but I think seeded does more good than bad. The top four teams have proved that they deserve a seed, so I think they should be rewarded with an "easier" first round opponent.
HOUNDS

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:57 pm

I like how they are now. First round upsets are fun, and it obviously leads to better games later.

Ken Dryden

Post by Ken Dryden » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:22 pm

I'm all for the top teams getting the better draw but...seeding is not an exact science and someone always gets 'screwed'.

I'm not debating who should have been 1 or 5 because that is exactly what it is...a subjective debate.

Some of the best games have come in round 1 or the consolation final as much or more than the championship game. You have to win them all to win!!

Throw em in a hat and see what happens...the best team will win like now...worst case you would have a number one team play an number five for the 'ship (assuming worst case draw and no upsets).

It could increase attendance earlier in the week. Typically there is only 2 teams that really have no business there...they will get bumped in the first round anyway.

I'm new to MN...maybe it worked like crap in the past...

BTW...I miss hockey already.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:25 pm

Seed them 1 thru 8. May have some blowouts the first day, but should have extemely competitve semi's and finals.

MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:39 pm

I like the seeding, I do. But the 1-4 thing is a head scratcher. Seed 1-8 or don't seed at all. Also, don't have the coaches seed. They don't know a whole lot about other clubs. The state needs a ranking system, like PageStat. Use the poll to rank the teams. Here are the PageStat rankings:

1. Minnetonka
2. Edina
3. Hill-Murray
4. Blaine
5. Duluth East
6. Roseau
7. Apple Valley
8. Lakeville North

1. Breck
2. Warroad
3. Mahtomedi
4. Hermantown
5. Virginia
6. Alexandria
7. Rochester Lourdes
8. New Ulm

h-m fan

Post by h-m fan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Ken Dryden wrote:I'm all for the top teams getting the better draw but...seeding is not an exact science and someone always gets 'screwed'.

I'm not debating who should have been 1 or 5 because that is exactly what it is...a subjective debate.

Some of the best games have come in round 1 or the consolation final as much or more than the championship game. You have to win them all to win!!

Throw em in a hat and see what happens...the best team will win like now...
  • worst case you would have a number one team play an number five for the 'ship (assuming worst case draw and no upsets).[/b

It could increase attendance earlier in the week. Typically there is only 2 teams that really have no business there...they will get bumped in the first round anyway.

I agree with Mr. Dryden, keep the tournament pure without the objective opinion of those who seed the tournament. Who cares if you have two top teams going in first round? That sounds like fun to me. We just need to get rid of the seedings... that is just the way that it should be.
skol vikes and pioneers!

Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:54 pm

h-m fan wrote:
Ken Dryden wrote:I'm all for the top teams getting the better draw but...seeding is not an exact science and someone always gets 'screwed'.

Throw em in a hat and see what happens...the best team will win like now...
  • worst case you would have a number one team play an number five for the 'ship (assuming worst case draw and no upsets).

I agree with Mr. Dryden, keep the tournament pure without the objective opinion of those who seed the tournament. Who cares if you have two top teams going in first round? That sounds like fun to me. We just need to get rid of the seedings... that is just the way that it should be.
It may be fun for fans but I don't think it's fair at all to the players. Why should the second best team at state have to play at Mariucci the next day while a team like Lakeville North would get to stay because they played a weak opponent? Unlike the NHL, this game is for the players, not the fans. I think the best thing for the players is seeding all 8 teams, the top teams have earned that. Would you also suggest taking away seedings in sections and having those be random?

EHSHack

Post by EHSHack » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:29 am

Exactly. Its for the players. Why should Lakeville North be denied an opportunity to stay alive just because Metro backers want it that way? State is state, and everyone should be on equal footing. You have two top teams going at it in the first round? Big deal, sack up and win then.
Go Hounds.

Ken Dryden

Post by Ken Dryden » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:12 am

EHSHack wrote:Exactly. Its for the players. Why should Lakeville North be denied an opportunity to stay alive just because Metro backers want it that way? State is state, and everyone should be on equal footing. You have two top teams going at it in the first round? Big deal, sack up and win then.
True...they all deserve to be there. Like I said, the best team that weekend will win regardless. So what if Edina has to play at the 'ucci.

Section seeding is a little bit different. In most cases you can make a very good case for seeding because the teams all play each other. The big prize is going to state...just making it there is the biggest thrill any kid can have - winning it is for the select few ($$$).

Seeding just the top 4 is silly...1 can play 5 and 4 can play 8...is that right?

Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:41 pm

EHSHack wrote:Exactly. Its for the players. Why should Lakeville North be denied an opportunity to stay alive just because Metro backers want it that way? State is state, and everyone should be on equal footing. You have two top teams going at it in the first round? Big deal, sack up and win then.
I can see where you're coming from. My argument would be that you should reward the teams that have proven themselves during the season by giving them a better chance to advance to the next round. You're not denying teams like Lakeville North the chance to advance to the next round, you're just making them prove themselves. If they're good enough, they may pull off the upset. Otherwise they're probably not good enough to be playing in the next round and should just be happy they got to play 1 game at the X.