Seniors not being allowed to play in state tournament

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeycrazy

Seniors not being allowed to play in state tournament

Post by hockeycrazy »

What are everyone's thoughts on seniors not being played, even for a few shifts, during state tourney games - just for the sake of winning? :cry:
southernmnscout

Re: Seniors not being allowed to play in state tournament

Post by southernmnscout »

hockeycrazy wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on seniors not being played, even for a few shifts, during state tourney games - just for the sake of winning? :cry:
This is just my opinion and I will probably get a lot of crap from people on here for saying this but the State tournament is not a time to make sure that every kid gets on the ice. State tournament should be to put the best team on the ice for the oppurtunity to win it. Maybe the blow-out games during the year is a good time to make sure everyone gets some icetime but if/when you make it to State you better put the team you think will give you the best chance to win! Just my opinion.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

hockeycrazy wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on seniors not being played, even for a few shifts, during state tourney games - just for the sake of winning? :cry:
Isn't that what Senior Night is for? The object in the tournament is to win, not to make the seniors feel good about themselves.
seek & destroy

Post by seek & destroy »

The State tourney is not the place to make sure that seniors get playing time BUT I do think that it should be possible for every coach to get kids on for at least one shift so they can say they played.

If a kid isn't good enough to skate 30 seconds without causing a problem the coach shouldn't have taken him on the team in the first place.
conditioningsucks

Post by conditioningsucks »

[quote="seek & destroy"][quote="hockeycrazy"]What are everyone's thoughts on seniors not being played, even for a few shifts, during state tourney games - just for the sake of winning? :cry:[/quote]

The State tourney is not the place to make sure that seniors get playing time BUT I do think that it should be possible for every coach to get kids on for at least one shift so they can say they played.

If a kid isn't good enough to skate 30 seconds without causing a problem the coach shouldn't have taken him on the team in the first place.[/quote]

You are there to win. Not to worry about egos. Coach plays who he thinks will get him there.

Enjoy having the best seat and be happy you are not in the fan section.

Welcome to life my friend.
halla

Post by halla »

I have had the pleasure (in days of yore) of sitting on the bench the entire game while my team lost in the championship game.

Thanks for bringing up the memory.

:wink:
StayAtHomeD

Post by StayAtHomeD »

I'll bet New Ulm's senior boys got on the ice.
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

Coaching decision, plain and simple.
ssppuck

Post by ssppuck »

My opinion is if a senior does not make the top 3 lines he should be cut. Why put him on the 4th line when you could develop an underclassman that will help you in the furture..
slapshot445

Post by slapshot445 »

[quote="ssppuck"]My opinion is if a senior does not make the top 3 lines he should be cut. Why put him on the 4th line when you could develop an underclassman that will help you in the furture..[/quote]

maybe because the senior is better than the underclassman, it should be the best kids someone shouldn't get cut or get played because of their grade.

this is the state tournament, thousands of people including scouts are watching. It's not time to make sure that little johnny gets his playing time. if a senior doesn't play it's because he's not good enough.
ssppuck

Post by ssppuck »

. I watched this happen before. 2 seniors sat during the state tournement. Then the following year there were 3 seniors cut. And I believe it made the team better that year and the year after.
slapshot445 wrote:
ssppuck wrote:My opinion is if a senior does not make the top 3 lines he should be cut. Why put him on the 4th line when you could develop an underclassman that will help you in the furture..
maybe because the senior is better than the underclassman, it should be the best kids someone shouldn't get cut or get played because of their grade.

this is the state tournament, thousands of people including scouts are watching. It's not time to make sure that little johnny gets his playing time. if a senior doesn't play it's because he's not good enough.
slapshot445

Post by slapshot445 »

[quote="ssppuck"]. I watched this happen before. 2 seniors sat during the state tournement. Then the following year there were 3 seniors cut. And I believe it made the team better that year and the year after.

[quote="slapshot445"][quote="ssppuck"]My opinion is if a senior does not make the top 3 lines he should be cut. Why put him on the 4th line when you could develop an underclassman that will help you in the furture..[/quote]

this is the state tournament, thousands of people including scouts are watching. It's not time to make sure that little johnny gets his playing time. if a senior doesn't play it's because he's not good enough.[/quote][/quote]

well then shame on that coach he did a disservice to those kids who earned their spot
ssppuck

Post by ssppuck »

Why did he do a disservice to those kids. If the underclassmen are just as good as the seniors why not get them up to gain some expeirence. It is all about winning when you get to that level. Don't keep a kid around just because he earned it. If he gets outplayed during tryouts so be it.
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

I will rephrase this question since the OP must be a bleeding heart "there are no losers" type of person. A number of years ago Randolph cut a senior goalie after they made state so an underclassman could gain experience. Peoples thoughts?
Go Hounds.
ssppuck

Post by ssppuck »

That is wrong. A team is made at the beginning of the season. Once on the team your there unless your kicked off for disciplinary reasons.
EHSHack wrote:I will rephrase this question since the OP must be a bleeding heart "there are no losers" type of person. A number of years ago Randolph cut a senior goalie after they made state so an underclassman could gain experience. Peoples thoughts?
MNSportsRube

Post by MNSportsRube »

seek & destroy wrote:

If a kid isn't good enough to skate 30 seconds without causing a problem the coach shouldn't have taken him on the team in the first place.
i definitely agree with your last statement...plus all the coach would need to do is shuffle the 3rd line a bit and throw him on a wing for that 30 seconds...

Or else start him then come off right after the puck drop...HA
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

ssppuck wrote:That is wrong. A team is made at the beginning of the season. Once on the team your there unless your kicked off for disciplinary reasons.
EHSHack wrote:I will rephrase this question since the OP must be a bleeding heart "there are no losers" type of person. A number of years ago Randolph cut a senior goalie after they made state so an underclassman could gain experience. Peoples thoughts?
That is definitely not wrong.
The U invented swagger.
Red Ice

Post by Red Ice »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
ssppuck wrote:That is wrong. A team is made at the beginning of the season. Once on the team your there unless your kicked off for disciplinary reasons.
That is definitely not wrong.
Not Wrong!

These are 17 year old kids and a lot can develop during their senior year. Some kids get burned out, some stay the same and some can actually be borderline JV progressing to a top player by tourney time.

ssppuck it is not all black and white sometimes a coaching staff will stick with some player because they know/hope they develop during the season. Seniors can help just as much as underclassman and sometimes more when called upon.
slapshot445

Post by slapshot445 »

[quote="ssppuck"]Why did he do a disservice to those kids. If the underclassmen are just as good as the seniors why not get them up to gain some expeirence. It is all about winning when you get to that level. Don't keep a kid around just because he earned it. If he gets outplayed during tryouts so be it.[/quote]

dont keep a kid around even if he earned it???? EVEN IF HE EARNED IT???? ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!! if the kid earns a roster spot talent wise then he should be on the team no matter what
slapshot445

Post by slapshot445 »

[quote="ssppuck"]That is wrong. A team is made at the beginning of the season. Once on the team your there unless your kicked off for disciplinary reasons.

[quote="EHSHack"]I will rephrase this question since the OP must be a bleeding heart "there are no losers" type of person. A number of years ago Randolph cut a senior goalie after they made state so an underclassman could gain experience. Peoples thoughts?[/quote][/quote]

that's not even close to correct, this isn't peewees. in high school kids get moved up and down from jv to varsity all the time, and not just for disciplinary reasons.
LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

ssppuck wrote:My opinion is if a senior does not make the top 3 lines he should be cut. Why put him on the 4th line when you could develop an underclassman that will help you in the furture..
seek & destroy wrote:If a kid isn't good enough to skate 30 seconds without causing a problem the coach shouldn't have taken him on the team in the first place.
Agree 100% with these coments. Basically a senior on a state tourny caliber team should be able to make the top 3 lines. If he can't he shouldn't be on the team. Also if said senior is on the team he SHOULD ABSOLUTELY get ONE DAMN SHIFT on state tourny ice because he HAS EARNED IT!