Who's Not Coming Back '10-'11?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

stripes4hire

EHSHack

Post by stripes4hire »

so are they going to a school in Duluth(would be a good fit for Smalley)
stripes4hire

Post by stripes4hire »

EHSHack wrote:
stripes4hire wrote:I heard Welinske and Meyer are not coming back to duluth east ??
I have heard it was Welinksi and Trevor Olson.
would be a good fit for Smalley
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

flatontheice wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:
gomnhky wrote:Is Austyn Young (SSP) playing in Sioux Falls this season?
I'll add him to the list.

Code: Select all

F - Kyle Osterberg - Lakeville South - Omaha-USHL
F - Michael Sit    - Edina           - Chicago-USHL
F - Steven Fogarty - Edina           - Chicago-USHL
F - Austyn Young   - S St. Paul      - Sioux Falls-USHL
D - Mike Reilly    - Holy Angels     - Shattuck St. Mary's
D - Ben Marshall   - Mahtomedi       - Omaha-USHL
D - Brady Skjei    - Lakeville North - NTDP
I would not be so sure on Brady Skjei at this point. He has had a tough week in Rochester. Unless they locked him into a spot prior to this event, he is going to have a difficult time making the team.
Skjei accepted an invite a few months ago.
observer

Post by observer »

So,

Two players not coming back.

Ben Marshall Mahtomedi Omaha USHL
Brady Skjei Lakeville North NTDP 17s
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

observer wrote:So,

Two players not coming back.

Ben Marshall Mahtomedi Omaha USHL
Brady Skjei Lakeville North NTDP 17s
Eathan Prow
Kyle Osterberg
Tanner Lane
Austyn Young
Mike Reilly
observer

Post by observer »

Sounds like Reilly could be added as the buzz is he's going to Shattuck. That's still a Minnesota High School, not in the MSHSL, so maybe that's a transfer instead of a departure. Sounds like he is departing his current high school though.

What do you know about the others? Confirmed, with the parents or the player, departures? I haven't heard that.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Code: Select all

F - Kyle Osterberg - Lakeville South - NTDP
F - Michael Sit    - Edina           - Chicago-USHL
F - Steven Fogarty - Edina           - Chicago-USHL
F - Austyn Young   - S St. Paul      - Sioux Falls-USHL
D - Mike Reilly    - Holy Angels     - Shattuck St. Mary's
D - Ben Marshall   - Mahtomedi       - Omaha-USHL
D - Andy Welinski  - Duluth East     - Green Bay-USHL
D - Brady Skjei    - Lakeville North - NTDP
G - Colin Olson    - Apple Valley    - NTDP
Further confirmation on Marshall and Osterberg...

http://www.americanjuniorhockey.com/201 ... ected.html

flatontheice, I've heard rumors about Lane and Prow. Do you have confirmation or a solid source for me so I can add them to the list?
Last edited by The Exiled One on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
east hockey
Site Admin

Andy Welinski leaves Duluth East

Post by east hockey »

Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
auld_skool

Post by auld_skool »

Add Colin Olson, goalie from AV to the list. He'll be in Ann Arbor this year.
hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 »

auld_skool wrote:Add Colin Olson, goalie from AV to the list. He'll be in Ann Arbor this year.
Heard that a couple days ago from a little birdie was hoping it wasn't the case but good move by him to get some playing in this year rather than sit behind Gretz.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Osterberg to the NTDP rather than Omaha
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Gopher Blog wrote:Osterberg to the NTDP rather than Omaha
Interesting.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Kyle's decision to head for the ntdp makes perfect sense, he'll be with kids his own age in a much more supportive environment while still playing a very similar schedule to the ushl. As much as I'd have liked to watch him continue his HS career the opportunity to go to Ann Arbor would be very difficult to pass up. For those fortunate enough to have witnessed the pace at which Osty has elevated his game over the past year his success should come as no surprise. Good luck Kyle!
johnnyquest

Post by johnnyquest »

I believe Kyle enters the NTDP as a soph which means he ages out after his jr year. It will be interesting to see how his sr year of high school plays out - does he accelerate or does he end up playing in the ushl (which he just declined.)

If he does accelerate, that is usually a pretty good indication someone has requested him to do so.

Then again, maybe the days of acceleration have run their course.
High Flyer

Re: Andy Welinski leaves Duluth East

Post by High Flyer »

east hockey wrote:http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... /id/172793

No surprise there.

Lee
Welinski-“Having other players with the same capability as me, working with them and having them challenge me, will make me that much better than staying here.”

Does this kid actually believe that he is so much better than his peers in MN or is this a scripted quote that someone has fed him? Regardless, his comments are defiantly a slap in the face for Duluth East Hockey, MN High School Hockey and the Upper Midwest Elite League.

I do think this is very interesting statement coming from a player who has yet to even “dominate” at the high school level. I could see if Ben Marshall said it or even Kyle Rau. Welinski might want to take a look at some game tapes from last year from the Elite League and High School season to see how many times he was beat by his peer group (and younger players) who in his mind have “lesser capability” and maybe reconsider if his statement is accurate.
StayAtHomeD

Post by StayAtHomeD »

High Flyer wrote:

No surprise there.

Lee
Welinski-“Having other players with the same capability as me, working with them and having them challenge me, will make me that much better than staying here.”

Does this kid actually believe that he is so much better than his peers in MN or is this a scripted quote that someone has fed him? Regardless, his comments are defiantly a slap in the face for Duluth East Hockey, MN High School Hockey and the Upper Midwest Elite League.

I do think this is very interesting statement coming from a player who has yet to even “dominate” at the high school level. I could see if Ben Marshall said it or even Kyle Rau. Welinski might want to take a look at some game tapes from last year from the Elite League and High School season to see how many times he was beat by his peer group (and younger players) who in his mind have “lesser capability” and maybe reconsider if his statement is accurate.
This is the attitude the wonderful "elite leagues" teach. It's all about ME, not the TEAM. Perfect example.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

High Flyer wrote:

No surprise there.

Lee

Yeah, my initial reaction to this was "there's some good bulletin board material for this year's East team."

But in fairness to Andy, this is probably the first substantive interview he's ever done in his life (the first time he has probably ever been forced to justify his decisions to a wider audience, that is). Sometimes words just come out sounding bad.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

It has nothing to do with "elite leagues." It completely has to do with the way kids are in general these days. Its all about ME...kids these days are all about themselves. Unfortunately this is going on all over the place.

Kids and parents just look to get their kid to a better place, rather than enjoying their high school life. The same is happening at college too...(some Gopher players).

I really think high school hockey is in for a tough road coming up. Triple A hockey in this state is ruining things, because the kids are getting used to playing 40-60 games during the season, plus another 20-30 over the summer. Unfortunately MSHSL only allows 25...meaning kids are going to continue to look for other places to go play. Its sad...
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

There are a few Minnesota high schoolers on USHL 38-man rosters that I'm NOT including on the running list until the rosters are trimmed to 25. These players include...

F - Grant Besse - Benilde - Muskegon-USHL
F - Tanner Lane - Detroit Lakes - Fargo-USHL
D - Ethan Prow - Sauk Rapids - Des Moines-USHL
Last edited by The Exiled One on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan »

The Exiled One wrote:There are a few Minnesota high schoolers on USHL 38-man rosters that I'm NOT including on the running list until the rosters are trimmed to 25. These players include...

F - Max Gardiner - Minnetonka - Des Moines-USHL
Besse is on the Futures roster, different than their actual 25 man...
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

mngopherfan wrote:Besse is on the Futures roster, different than their actual 25 man...
Cool... thanks. I couldn't find their 25-man.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

The Exiled One wrote:There are a few Minnesota high schoolers on USHL 38-man rosters that I'm NOT including on the running list until the rosters are trimmed to 25. These players include...

F - Max Gardiner - Minnetonka - Des Moines-USHL
Max Gardiner graduated so I'd think it is highly unlikely that he'd be back on the Skippers. :wink:
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Gopher Blog wrote:

Max Gardiner graduated so I'd think it is highly unlikely that he'd be back on the Skippers. :wink:
Oops, I think was thinking the other Max.
2pipesnin

Post by 2pipesnin »

Tigers33.............."IT's SAD" ........are you serious!

How in the hell is a High School supposed to fit in 40 - 50 game schedule in a single season. Do the simple math......9 months divided 3 sports during the year. Hockey is currently a longer season then any other sport. Sports were supposed be an extra curricular activity like football, baseball, band, etc. If you think you have the next Crosby, and you want to play hockey year round GO PLAY AAA.

High School Hockey in MN will change but is only because parents think they have to accelerate their child's lives and athletic ability. That's the sad part!
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

2snipe...

Its sad that parents and players are shipping out early. Thats what I meant. Read more into it than you did...