MSHL Rule for 18 year olds

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mnhockeydadof2

MSHL Rule for 18 year olds

Post by mnhockeydadof2 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:59 am

If an 18 year old goes on Spring Break and parties it up - where it is legal to do so, are they breaking MSHL rules? Could baseball then be in jeopardy? What if they also have parents permission and supervision - and again, they are in a country where their age makes it legal.?

Knight7

18 year olds

Post by Knight7 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:18 am

Doesn't matter what country they drink in or if mom and dad sit at the bar with them in Mexico. By MSHSL rules they are now ineligle to compete for whatever the penalty is, 1st offense, 2nd, etc...
That is my understanding.

Got2luvhockey

Post by Got2luvhockey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:19 am

Are there really parents who would approve? MSHL does not specify countries where a kid is of legal age - I think the word "no" says it all.

Goldy Gopher

Re: 18 year olds

Post by Goldy Gopher » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:02 am

Knight7 wrote:Doesn't matter what country they drink in or if mom and dad sit at the bar with them in Mexico. By MSHSL rules they are now ineligle to compete for whatever the penalty is, 1st offense, 2nd, etc...
That is my understanding.
If they break no laws how would the school ever know that they were drinking in the first place?
The U invented swagger.

Knight7

Goldy

Post by Knight7 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:12 am

Kids tend to make mistakes. They post on You-Tube or Facebook stories, pictures or video. Some kids that are not in sports and will graduate post pictures of themselves and friends (the friends are in sports) on these sights and others view them. Happens all the time.

muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:17 am

If we're talking hockey, what does it matter? An 18 year old on Spring Break in Mexico has most likely finished his Senior year and won't be coming back anyways.

Now, obviously, if that kid is playing a Spring sport, then they need to be careful.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:21 am

It's an MSHSL rule, not a law. The rule states that they will not consume or possess a beverage containing alcohol; it doesn't mention "only if they are underage". Similarly it say the athlete will not consume or possess tobacco, legal in the US at 18, but against the rules.

hockeypup

Post by hockeypup » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:16 pm

If an 18 year old goes on Spring Break and parties it up - where it is legal to do so, are they breaking MSHL rules? Could baseball then be in jeopardy? What if they also have parents permission and supervision - and again, they are in a country where their age makes it legal.?
Most serious baseball players can't even go on spring break. They're too busy trying out for their high school team or already practicing with them. for this to even be an issue. It doesn't matter if they have parental permission, it's still against the rules......

mnhockeydadof2

Post by mnhockeydadof2 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:42 pm

appreciate the opinions. Parents generally know their sons and daughters and if its a good time for them to enjoy some spirits with the family. MSHL cannot (i dont think) police households.

hockeydad

Post by hockeydad » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:18 pm

You are right, they cannot police households. If some parents want to let their kids drink, that is between them and the kid. However, a student athlete signs an agreement before each season with the school stating they will abide by MSHSL rules, which have also been adopted by the schools. By signing this, they have made a commitment to their teammates to follow these rules. A parent who looks the other way when a student athlete violates these rules is saying tht it is OK to not follow through on such a commitment. When my son was caught drinking several years ago and missed part of his senior season, I had no sympathy for him and didn't try to protest the issue. I told him he had made the mistake and had to suffer the consequences, and the best thing he could do was to continue practicing and be the best teammate he could be during his penalty period.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:31 pm

hockeydad wrote:You are right, they cannot police households. If some parents want to let their kids drink, that is between them and the kid. However, a student athlete signs an agreement before each season with the school stating they will abide by MSHSL rules, which have also been adopted by the schools. By signing this, they have made a commitment to their teammates to follow these rules. A parent who looks the other way when a student athlete violates these rules is saying tht it is OK to not follow through on such a commitment. When my son was caught drinking several years ago and missed part of his senior season, I had no sympathy for him and didn't try to protest the issue. I told him he had made the mistake and had to suffer the consequences, and the best thing he could do was to continue practicing and be the best teammate he could be during his penalty period.
If more parents let their kids learn from their mistakes and suffer the consequences high school activities would be much better off. I bet your son has more respect for you and the rules than if you would have protested. Good job.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:32 pm

hockeydad wrote:You are right, they cannot police households. If some parents want to let their kids drink, that is between them and the kid. However, a student athlete signs an agreement before each season with the school stating they will abide by MSHSL rules, which have also been adopted by the schools. By signing this, they have made a commitment to their teammates to follow these rules. A parent who looks the other way when a student athlete violates these rules is saying tht it is OK to not follow through on such a commitment. When my son was caught drinking several years ago and missed part of his senior season, I had no sympathy for him and didn't try to protest the issue. I told him he had made the mistake and had to suffer the consequences, and the best thing he could do was to continue practicing and be the best teammate he could be during his penalty period.
If more parents let their kids learn from their mistakes and suffer the consequences high school activities would be much better off. I bet your son has more respect for you and the rules than if you would have protested. Good job.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:32 pm

flatontheice

Re: MSHL Rule for 18 year olds

Post by flatontheice » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

mnhockeydadof2 wrote:If an 18 year old goes on Spring Break and parties it up - where it is legal to do so, are they breaking MSHL rules? Could baseball then be in jeopardy? What if they also have parents permission and supervision - and again, they are in a country where their age makes it legal.?
If you got pictures...please post em..

lxhockey

Post by lxhockey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:16 pm

It is legal for 18 year olds to drink in Mexico. I've seen quite a few 16 year olds served alcohol in Mexico also.

In Wisconsin, an 18 year old can legally drink in a bar if there with his/her parent I've been told.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:42 pm

What is "MSHL"

gaborik

Post by gaborik » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:25 pm

lxhockey wrote:It is legal for 18 year olds to drink in Mexico. I've seen quite a few 16 year olds served alcohol in Mexico also.

In Wisconsin, an 18 year old can legally drink in a bar if there with his/her parent I've been told.
I think if you can walk in Mexico you can drink. If you stumble you can still drink

Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:21 am

gaborik wrote:
lxhockey wrote:It is legal for 18 year olds to drink in Mexico. I've seen quite a few 16 year olds served alcohol in Mexico also.

I think if you can walk in Mexico you can drink. If you stumble you can still drink
Gabby, is that how you get your unspecified lower body injuries :lol:

gaborik

Post by gaborik » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:45 am

Not this year.. Im playing in New York I have to be healthy. :roll:

RLStars

Post by RLStars » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:58 am

lxhockey wrote:In Wisconsin, an 18 year old can legally drink in a bar if there with his/her parent I've been told.
That is true in Minnesota also.

southernmnscout

Post by southernmnscout » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:38 am

RLStars wrote:
lxhockey wrote:In Wisconsin, an 18 year old can legally drink in a bar if there with his/her parent I've been told.
I could be wrong, but I do not think this is the case in any state.

Someone else may know better, but I think that is not the case.

Pleasedontpostagain

alcohol consumption

Post by Pleasedontpostagain » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:42 pm

I believe the law in Minnesota is that it is illegal for someone under the age of 21 to consume alcohol, but it is an affirmative defense if the under aged person consumed the alcohol in the house of the person's parents or guardian, and with the consent of the parent or guardian. Such activity may be "legal", but it would still be a violation of MSHSL rules.

Iceman778

Post by Iceman778 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:35 pm

Tigers33 wrote:What is "MSHL"
U dont know this???? :oops:

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:22 am

Iceman778 wrote:
U dont know this???? :oops:
If he did, why would he ask? :wink:

And actually it's the MSHSL.

stmartin123

Post by stmartin123 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:48 am

southernmnscout wrote:
RLStars wrote:
I could be wrong, but I do not think this is the case in any state.

Someone else may know better, but I think that is not the case.
Its true for wisco, but not for minn. As long as a parent is present and they can vouch for their children, they will serve to underage people. Sisters went to Mad-Town. :lol:
Don't hate STA. I wouldn't want to lose either.