USHL Drafts - Futures & Entry

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The Exiled One

USHL Drafts - Futures & Entry

Post by The Exiled One » Tue May 18, 2010 3:22 pm

The futures draft was today, only 1994 born players are eligible. Here are the Minnesotans selected...

13 G - Zach Thompson - Denfield
14 F - AJ Michaelson - Apple Valley
23 F - Gage Torrell - Monticello
16 F - Kyle Osterberg - Lakeville South
27 G - Blake Cates - Stillwater
38 F - Nate Arentz - Lakeville North
47 F - Jake Guentzel - Woodbury
48 D - Vince Pedrie - Apple Valley
52 D - Matt Pilot - S St. Paul
57 F - Levi Talrico - Denfield
59 F - Grant Besse - Benilde
71 F - Max Coatta - Minnetonka
76 G - Collin Olson - Apple Valley
78 F - Jared Thomas - Hermantown
82 D - Jake Horton - Benilde

The entry draft is tomorrow, and for the first time ever, 14 year-olds can be selected. In the last couple of years, players that were TOO YOUNG for the futures draft were rostered without going through the draft process at all (Ebert and Vail this year, Ambroz the year before). So, it's conceivable that a Fasching or a Cammarata could be drafted. If they are, it's probably through a prearranged deal with the USHL club of their choice... ensuring that they will report. That being said, I don't see Fasching being drafted. With Michaelson sticking around, Hudson's going to want to go for a State Title. Cammarata is a possibility, but even he's got to realize that he'd get brutalized in the USA's most physical amateur league. Although, I've heard he's not a lock to return to Shattuck... so we'll see. My hunch is that no '95s are selected tomorrow.
Last edited by The Exiled One on Tue May 18, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

cooper26

Re: USHL Drafts - Futures & Entry

Post by cooper26 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:51 pm

The Exiled One wrote:The futures draft was today, only 1994 born players are eligible. Here are the Minnesotans selected...

and...
13 - Zach Thompson - Hermantown (?)
and
27 - Blake Cates - Stillwater
and
47 - Jake Guentzel - Woodbury
and
57 - Levi Talrico - Denfield
and
? - anyone else?

Congratulations to all!

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue May 18, 2010 4:28 pm

cooper26 wrote:
and...
13 - Zach Thompson - Hermantown (?)
and
27 - Blake Cates - Stillwater
and
47 - Jake Guentzel - Woodbury
and
57 - Levi Talrico - Denfield
and
? - anyone else?

Congratulations to all!
Oops, good call. I copied my list from a post I had made elsewhere, but forgot that I chose not to do the whole list for that post. I fixed my original post.

getoveryourbadself

Post by getoveryourbadself » Tue May 18, 2010 5:27 pm

Zach Thompson is Denfeld not Hermantown

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed May 19, 2010 12:13 pm

Players selected in the entry draft, listed with their current/former high school.

1 - F - Adam Krause - Hermantown
10 - D - Sam Rendle - Grand Rapids
16 - D - Chris Casto - Hill-Murray
17 - D - Sam Windle - Osseo
18 - F - Tyson Fulton - Breck
41 - D- Joe Rubbelke - North St. Paul
44 - F - Tanner Lane - Fargo
47 - F - Steven Fogarty - Edina
48 - F - Joe LaBate - Holy Angels
51 - F - Charlie Taft - Edina
52 - D - Tony Larson - Blaine
53 - F - Matt Hanson - St. Cloud Tech
56 - F - Mario Lucia - Wayzata
59 - D - Alex McLean - Duluth East
61 - F - Tony Cameranesi - Wayzata
66 - D - Ryan Bullock - Blake
79 - G - Charlie Lindgren - Lakeville North

southernmnscout

Post by southernmnscout » Wed May 19, 2010 3:30 pm

Hudson Fasching just went to Chicago with the 291 pick in the draft.

Nobodyonya

Post by Nobodyonya » Wed May 19, 2010 4:10 pm

southernmnscout wrote:Hudson Fasching just went to Chicago with the 291 pick in the draft.
Is there a website where we can view the entire list?

nikebauer05

Post by nikebauer05 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:41 pm

Nobodyonya wrote:
southernmnscout wrote:Hudson Fasching just went to Chicago with the 291 pick in the draft.
Is there a website where we can view the entire list?
Go to USHL.com and then go to the draft. It may take a minute to load the draft page.

getoveryourbadself

Post by getoveryourbadself » Wed May 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Factsmatter1

Post by Factsmatter1 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:43 pm

The Exiled One wrote:Players selected in the entry draft, listed with their current/former high school.

1 - F - Adam Krause - Hermantown
10 - D - Sam Rendle - Grand Rapids
16 - D - Chris Casto - Hill-Murray
17 - D - Sam Windle - Osseo
18 - F - Tyson Fulton - Breck
41 - D- Joe Rubbelke - North St. Paul
44 - F - Tanner Lane - Fargo
47 - F - Steven Fogarty - Edina
48 - F - Joe LaBate - Holy Angels
51 - F - Charlie Taft - Edina
52 - D - Tony Larson - Blaine
53 - F - Matt Hanson - St. Cloud Tech
56 - F - Mario Lucia - Wayzata
59 - D - Alex McLean - Duluth East
61 - F - Tony Cameranesi - Wayzata
66 - D - Ryan Bullock - Blake
79 - G - Charlie Lindgren - Lakeville North
95 - F - Brett Patterson - Benilde
138 - F - Gavin Tufte - Blaine
224 - F - AJ Reid - STA
229 - D - Nate Repensky - Duluth East
238 - D - Garret Schmitz - Red Lake
241 - F - Thomas Schutt - Minnetonka
246 - D - Nick Seeler - Eden Prairie
255 - F - Derek Frawley - Minnetonka
279 - D - James Hansen - Osseo
283 - D - Austin Rudnick - Breck
289 - F - Hudson Fasching - Apple Valley
303 - F - Willie Faust - Hill Murray
304 - D - Brian LaBlanc - Hermantown

Nobodyonya

Post by Nobodyonya » Thu May 20, 2010 9:33 am

The Exiled One wrote:The futures draft was today, only 1994 born players are eligible. Here are the Minnesotans selected...

13 G - Zach Thompson - Denfield
27 G - Blake Cates - Stillwater
47 F - Jake Guentzel - Woodbury
57 F - Levi Talrico - Denfield
78 F - Jared Thomas - Hermantown

The entry draft is tomorrow, and for the first time ever, 14 year-olds can be selected. In the last couple of years, players that were TOO YOUNG for the futures draft were rostered without going through the draft process at all (Ebert and Vail this year, Ambroz the year before). So, it's conceivable that a Fasching or a Cammarata could be drafted. If they are, it's probably through a prearranged deal with the USHL club of their choice... ensuring that they will report. That being said, I don't see Fasching being drafted. With Michaelson sticking around, Hudson's going to want to go for a State Title. Cammarata is a possibility, but even he's got to realize that he'd get brutalized in the USA's most physical amateur league. Although, I've heard he's not a lock to return to Shattuck... so we'll see. My hunch is that no '95s are selected tomorrow.
What insight do you have to where he will attend next year if Shattuck is not in the picture

bloody bar down

Post by bloody bar down » Thu May 20, 2010 9:46 am

# 126 Josh Archibald - BRainerd by Muskegon

observer

Post by observer » Thu May 20, 2010 9:56 am

Exiled One, (or others in the know)

I'm curious if these players are selected strictly on what scouts see as their ability? In that instance the choices are flyers but why not put as many good players in the pipeline as possible.
Or, do the teams have some insight into whether the players are interested in the USHL?

Other differences in League philosophy between the 93s selected (entry draft) and the 94s (futures draft) that you know of?

All interesting stuff that I'm not sure all parents are happy about. Most envisioned their kid going to college after high school but the hockey landscape has changed a lot in the last 4-5 years.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Thu May 20, 2010 11:37 am

Nobodyonya wrote:What insight do you have to where he will attend next year if Shattuck is not in the picture
Firstly, it'll probably be Shattuck again, but I imagine a couple of OHL teams will make a push for him. And, of course, he could always return to Maple Grove!
observer wrote:Exiled One, (or others in the know)

I'm curious if these players are selected strictly on what scouts see as their ability? In that instance the choices are flyers but why not put as many good players in the pipeline as possible.
Or, do the teams have some insight into whether the players are interested in the USHL?

Other differences in League philosophy between the 93s selected (entry draft) and the 94s (futures draft) that you know of?

All interesting stuff that I'm not sure all parents are happy about. Most envisioned their kid going to college after high school but the hockey landscape has changed a lot in the last 4-5 years.
WCH does a nice recap of the first round and points out why players were selected where they were...

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com ... irst-round

Many of the first rounders are collegiate recruits from other junior leagues that want to improve their level of competition before heading into college. In those cases, they've probably already worked out where they want to play and the USHL team that drafted them probably has an agreement in place (Stoykewych, Lessio, Rendle, Kero, Oskroba). Others (Krause) are college committed high school seniors or Midget Majors who were planning on playing in the USHL. These players won't have a prior deal worled out, but are still pretty likely to end up on the final roster of the team that selects them. The rest of the players are drafted with the intent of getting them to the tryout camp to see if they can make/help the team. The ones that are most likely to play in the USHL and make the team are selected earlier. The ones that want to play in the USHL but are borderline to make the team are selected later. The ones that are awesome but probably won't want to play in the USHL (Fasching) are selected near the end.

The future's draft for the '93s was last year. Those players' rights are still protected. So, '93s taken this year are selected with the hope that they will make/help the team.

That's my take anyway.

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Thu May 20, 2010 3:21 pm

A cursory glance seems to indicate that the Matthew Effect is in full force for the futures.

hockeyboy

Post by hockeyboy » Thu May 20, 2010 7:27 pm

93's drafted this year can be placed on the futures list if you have an opening and you drafted them. Some of these kids may have been drafted with next year in mind if they have a place to store them.

nickel slots

Post by nickel slots » Fri May 21, 2010 8:18 am

sinbin wrote:A cursory glance seems to indicate that the Matthew Effect is in full force for the futures.
Matthew Effect?
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.

High Flyer

Post by High Flyer » Fri May 21, 2010 8:29 am

nickel slots wrote:
sinbin wrote:A cursory glance seems to indicate that the Matthew Effect is in full force for the futures.
Matthew Effect?
The Matthew effect (or "accumulated advantage") in sociology is the phenomenon where "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer". Those who possess power and economic or social capital can leverage those resources to gain more power or capital. The term was first coined by sociologist Robert K. Merton in 1968 and takes its name from a line in the biblical Gospel of Matthew:

For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away.
—Matthew 25:29

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Fri May 21, 2010 8:37 am

Here's a link below, but basically you'll see that most of the players have birthdates in the first part of the year and very few have birthdates in the last few months of the year. At younger ages, the older kids from the same birth year are usually bigger, stronger, more coordinated, etc. so they get the advantage of playing on better teams, better coaching, better training, etc.. This adds up over time so that in many sports which start out grouping kids based on age, by the time the more "elite" players are adults, you'll see a very noticably skewed birthdate distribution.

I first learned about this in the book "Outliers", but here's a link that describes this and provides examples. I'm sure there are many others. http://www.sportsscientists.com/2009/01 ... ffect.html.

zyzxx

Post by zyzxx » Fri May 21, 2010 9:33 am

High Flyer wrote:
nickel slots wrote:
Matthew Effect?
The Matthew effect (or "accumulated advantage") in sociology is the phenomenon where "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer". Those who possess power and economic or social capital can leverage those resources to gain more power or capital. The term was first coined by sociologist Robert K. Merton in 1968 and takes its name from a line in the biblical Gospel of Matthew:

For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away.
—Matthew 25:29
Interesting idea. Here is a more optimistic translation (NLV) of Matt 25:29 To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Fri May 21, 2010 9:47 am

Does anybody know if Useldinger from EGF is playing anywhere next year?

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Sun May 23, 2010 10:04 pm

They should have checked the rules. Wasted a pick. You cant keep a 95 on your affiliate list. They have to make the team and be rostered. He wont leave AV this year so he will go right back in the futures draft next year.

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Mon May 24, 2010 7:54 am

flatontheice wrote:
They should have checked the rules. Wasted a pick. You cant keep a 95 on your affiliate list. They have to make the team and be rostered. He wont leave AV this year so he will go right back in the futures draft next year.
It wasn't a waste for Omaha and Seth Ambroz (a 93) two years ago when he played in the league as a 15 year old...worth a shot that late.

nickel slots

Post by nickel slots » Mon May 24, 2010 8:04 am

mngopherfan wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
It wasn't a waste for Omaha and Seth Ambroz (a 93) two years ago when he played in the league as a 15 year old...worth a shot that late.
I'm pretty sure Ambroz was never drafted.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Mon May 24, 2010 9:58 am

nickel slots wrote:
mngopherfan wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
I'm pretty sure Ambroz was never drafted.
Regardless he played in the league as a 15 year old, so with a late pick it makes sense to grab Fasching's rights so if he decided to play in the USHL this season, which he wont, they'd have him...