3A predictions

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

new2coachin

Post by new2coachin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:24 am

hero12 wrote:
Bettman's Bender wrote: Well if every town in this area is in the same boat with numbers, which they are, why dont they all just play A level and play each other? Im in tune with the youth programs here, they all can compete with each other. All of these towns should be running A programs. You dont think and A program from marshall couldnt "compete" with the A teams from Willmar, hutch, litch, NU? yes they could. And even if they cant, how are they supposed to get better? You get better by playing at a higher level. Somebody is going to have to be willing to take a few knocks right away but in the end if you want to have a good program you play A. Idc if you go to the cities and lose 20-0 to wayzata. Its better than traveling to worthington playing B and winning 4-3. This is America, embrace the spirit of competition.
To you, having small numbers means you don't have enough for two teams, for teams like Luverne or Sleepy Eye, small numbers means having 12 guys on a bantam team, 3 of them are 7th graders. A town like marshall has over 3 times the population to yield a team, so it makes sense for a team made up of 9 bantam age kids to play bantam b. You throw around the word ignorance, once again, http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite. Here's a tidbit for ya, 07 Luverne player lead the conference in points, 09 Luverne player lead conference in points, 2011 Luverne player will lead conference in points. Small towns playing B will still push out good players, but lack of numbers will not allow them to compete. Sleepy eye trying to play A with 9 players total, rotating at goalie? That is stupid and why they don't. Redwood had the same issue a few years back in their youth program. In a perfect world you are right, but some towns don't have the numbers, they have the same number of very good players, but no decent players to pick up the slack. Hop off your high horse and get used to southwest minnesota hockey.

=D> =D> =D> =D> Well Said Hero!!!

6thMan

Post by 6thMan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Honestly i don't know why we are all still trying to debate playing A or B, this isn't a youth hockey forum. If a team wants to expose themselves to a higher level of competition when they are dressing 13 players, id say more power too them. Can we all just leave it at that?

Impressive use of the dictionary folks. My hat is off to all these project NHL draft picks coming from Luverne leading the SW conference in points. You forget to mention that one player scores 95% of the team's points (and 70% percent of those points come against the cupcakes in the conference) Yes small towns can and DO produce quality talent, I'm not arguing that. However if you want your team to get respect don't haunt the hockey forums talking up how AMAZING your team COULD be (looking at you Luverne), but put your team in challenging games. NU and Marshall both play Lourdes, both teams put themselves in difficult holiday tournaments. The best way to build a program is to play above your level, play out of your element. Sure your going to have some embarrassing losses and losing seasons but Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a program. But if your comfortable finishing 3rd in the SW conference every year there is no reason for you to leave your comfort zone.

In parting i think this forum would be better if some of you followed this link http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... 1288125377

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:45 pm

WELL SAID HERO!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

6TH MAN IS MY HERO.

Section 3A HockeyScout

Section 3A Season Preview

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:52 am

Greetings Fellow 3A Followers,

With November before us in only 2 schools from Section 3A remaining in the MN High School Football Playoffs (Luverne, Dassel-Cokato & Marshall) many young men have shifted their focus to hockey. I thought this would be a good time to give my Preseason 3A Rankings.

I am avid HS Puck Follower and have got to watch the HS Game grow in Southwest MN over the past 15 years. I don’t really have a specific team that I follow I try to be as non-biased as possible. I plan to get out to as many 3A Games as possible I hope to be at a rink near you every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday Night!

Please feel free to disagree with me or agree I hope to keep the talk positive as we move forward throughout the season.

Preseason 3A Rankings

1. New Ulm
2. Litchfield-Dassel-Cokato
3. Marshall
4. Hutchinson
5. Redwood Valley
6. Luverne
7. Sleepy Eye
8. Fairmont
9. Windom
10. Worthington

1. New Um Eagles
Head Coach:
Erik Setterholm
2009-10 Record: (16-11-1)
State Trips: 1992, 2010

Key Returning Players:
Kaleb Juntunen 35 pts., Brody Peterson 34 pts. , Adam Loose 31 pts. , Zach Hoffman 28 pts., Blake Burgau (16-11-1) 3.04 GAA

Season Preview: The Eagles finally broke through to the state tournament last year after years of being right on the doorstep. This year the eagles should be heavy preseason favorites in Section 3A. They return plenty of offensive firepower especially in their top line of Juntunen-Peterson-Loose. New Ulm will have 3 solid lines to throw at some of the less deep teams in 3A. They also return an all around terrific athlete at the blue line in Zach Hoffman. My biggest reason for ranking the Eagles number one though is in the net Blake Burgau returns for his senior campaign after playing every second for the Eagles last year. Burgau has the potential to be outstanding and is going to be tough to beat all season long. This is New Ulm’s section to lose I look for a very big year out of the Eagles.

2. L-D-C Dragons
Head Coach:
Chris Olson
2009-10 Record: (16-10-1)
State Trips: 1996, 2008

Key Returning Players:
Andy Haataja 36 pts., Quinn Impola 31 pts. , Eric Kivisto 26 pts.

Season Preview:
The Dragons fell one game short of a state tournament bid last season. In order for L-D-C to get back to the section title game this year they will rely heavily on their defense. The Dragons return 4 of their top 5 defensemen from last year. Headlining that group is Quinn Impola a do it all defenseman for the L-D-C. He will log a lot of minutes for a very experienced defensive group. The Dragons will have to replace their All-State Honorable Mention goal-scoring machine Nate Adams. They will lean heavily on Andy Haataja and Eric Kivisto to lead a veteran group of forwards. The big question mark heading into the season will be goaltending where they will need someone to step up. The Dragons should be tough in their defensive zone and should have enough firepower to win Section 3A. It will come down to how well they answer the question mark in the net as the season progresses.

3. Marshall Tigers
Head Coach:
Kori Pearson
2009-10 Record: (13-13-0)
State Trips: None

Key Returning Players:
Brian Willett 25 pts. , CJ Haukom 24 pts. , Aaron Antony 22 pts. , Ethan VanderZiel 10 pts.

Season Preview:
They are expecting big things in Marshall this year. It is becoming now or never for the Marshall Tigers Hockey program a perennial contender to get to State over the last 10 years is seeing its talent dry up in the youth ranks. This Veteran group could be the last shot for quite some time. The Tigers will have a very balanced attack they are lead up front by Seniors Brian Willett, CJ Haukom and Aaron Antony. On the Blue line they will be lead by two year Senior Captain Ethan VanderZiel who leads a strong group of deep defenseman. The biggest question will be how well the Tigers adjust to not having All-Sate honorable mention goaltender Mitch Campion in the net. They will lean on Andy Noble to fill those big shoes early on. The Tigers will be a very deep and experienced team who is use to playing good competition and big games. If they can adjust to life after Campion well this could be the year of the Tiger in Section 3A.

4. Hutchinson Tigers
Head Coach:
Matt Telecky
2009-10 Record: (11-14-1)
State Trips: 1995, 1997, 2000, 2009

Key Returning Players: Trace Adams 15 pts., Mitch McLain 15 pts. , Logan Hahn 13 pts.

Season Preview:
The Tigers of Hutchinson appear to be in a year of transition. Starting with the fact that the Tigers will now compete in the Wright County Conference instead of the Missota of previous years. Looking at the Tigers their strengths will be in their defense where they return 3 regulars from last year in Mitch McLain, Logan Hahn and Max Cowger. The big question mark for Hutchinson is who is going to score goals the forwards will lean heavily on Trace Adams after that it will be a year of developing younger players and defining roles. Jordan Johnson looks to take over in the nets, which is no small order as he is replacing a 4-year starter in Zak Swenson. There are a ton of question marks facing this team, however, Hutchinson hockey is proven a product in Section 3A look for them to develop as the season goes along and be a team no one wants to face come playoff time.

5. Redwood Valley Cardinals
Head Coach:
Nathan Sunderman
2009-10 Record: (17-6-1)

Key Returning Players:
Eric Hanson 38 pts., Mike Welch 24 pts. , Jordan Skeie 13 pts.

Season Preview: It is the beginning of a new era in Redwood Valley as the Cardinals have a new coach in Nathan Sunderman. Redwood has made big strides in the last year 6 years and are two time defending Southwest Conference champions. However, this year’s version has many holes to fill due to graduation and transfers. Up front the Cardinals will look for Eric Hanson and Mike Welch to lead the way again they are 2/3 of one of the best lines in southwest Minnesota last year. Unfortunately for Redwood Eric Miller has transferred to Warroad and they need to find a new net minder as John Rebstock who played every minute for the Cardinals the last 3 years has graduated. On defense the cardinals will have to answer plenty of questions as well as they graduated four players who played a regular shift for them. There are plenty of questions that need to be answered in Redwood Valley but that doesn’t mean that the two time defending Southwest Conference champions should be taken lightly by anyone.

6. Luverne Cardinals
Co-Head Coaches:
Tony Sandbulte & Derrick Brown
2009-10 Record: (11-13-1)

Key Returning Players:
Connor Fitzer 42 pts., Zach Dingmann 32 pts. , Sklyer Sweir 24 pts., Cody Christensen 20 pts.

Season Preview:
Luverne looks to continue their success from last year after finishing the 2009-10 season on an 11-4-0 run, including two victories in the Section 3A Playoffs that earned them a bid to the Section Semi-Finals. The Cardinals only lose one player off of last year’s team and return plenty of firepower up front. The line of Fitzer-Dingmann-Sweir was a tough as any in 3A last year and they look to have continued success as seniors. Luverne will hope for the continued maturation of Austin Maxwell on the Blue Line as he played big minutes as a freshman for them last year. The big thing holding Luverne back from truly making the next big step is their goaltending. If the Cardinals can’t get better play in the net then they did last year don’t look for anything big here. If they can get some solid goaltending though Luverne could become dangerous.

7. Sleepy Eye Indians
Head Coach:
Robert Tauer
2009-10 Record: (3-22-0)

Key Returning Players: Tyler Braulick 25 pts., Jordan Hillesheim 14 pts. , Robert Regan 4.57 GAA.

Season Preview:
Sleepy Eye is looking to make some big strides forward this year. After years of taking a beating the Indians are hoping that those young kids have grown out of that habit and look to have successful senior campaigns. Sleepy Eye has a new Coach in Robert Tauer and the Indians are looking to gain momentum off of last years playoff victory. They will be lead up Front Tyler Braulick who has been playing for varsity hockey for a long time now look for him to put up big numbers in his senior campaign. What makes Sleepy Eye so dangerous this year is Robert Regan in the nets. He is use to taking a lot of shots and has the potential to get hot and steal a game. This is not Sleepy Eye of the past look for this program to make big strides and be a competitive bunch all season long.

8. Fairmont Cardinals
Head Coach:
Bryan Wilken
2009-10 Record: (6-16-0)

Key Returning Players: Ross Wilken 19 pts., Luke Sanderfeld 17 pts. , Cody Jacobsen 15 pts.

Season Preview: Fairmont is looking to continue on some of the small successes they experienced last year. They were able to host a playoff game for the first time in many years. However, those good feelings were put to an end when Sleepy Eye defeated them 3-1. The Cardinals bring back a lot of experienced forwards from last year team lead by the coach’s son Ross Wilken. They also return all of their defenseman from last year. The big question mark ill be replacing Ryan Rivers in the nets who played the majority of the time. Fairmont has a big group of Seniors returning this year and if they can get some solid goaltending and confidence early in the season Fairmont could make some big waves in the lower half of Section 3A.

9. Windom Eagles
Head Coach:
Steve Clark
2009-10 Record: (8-14-1)

Key Returning Players:
Adam Eisenmenger 26 pts., Mitchell Baumhoefner 20 pts.

Season Preview:
The Windom Eagles are in a rebuilding mode this season. They lost the majority of their forwards, defenseman, and goaltender to graduation. The Eagles will need big years out of Eisenmenger and Baumhoefner up front. They will need some players of a decent “B” Bantam team last year to step up and fill holes in their depth. They will also need to find a new steady presence in the net. There are many questions that need to be answered for Windom but Coach Clark always finds a way to put a competitive bunch out on the ice. This year that task seems to be larger but again one should never count these guys out.

10.Worthington Trojans
Head Coach:
Pat Christopherson
2009-10 Record: (3-18-0)

Key Returning Players:
Ethan Stofferan 12 pts.

Season Preview: The Trojans have plenty of new faces this year after graduating 12 seniors last year. One of those new faces includes coach Pat Christopherson. He will have plenty of holes to fill this winter. As Worthington returns only one player who was in double digits last season. They also graduated all of their defenseman and both of their goaltenders from last year. It looks like it could be a difficult first year for Coach Christopherson in Worthington.

Once the season gets going I will have a Power Ranking out every Sunday. Hopefully you guys enjoy a non-biased insight to Section 3A.

Look for me next Sunday as I will give my Preseason All Section 3A Team Honors.

Until then debate and discuss!
Last edited by Section 3A HockeyScout on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ping

Post by ping » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:21 pm

Fair enough post, Section 3A Scout, except for a mistake in your first sentence....there are at least 3 schools remaining in the MN High School Football Playoffs...Dassel-Cokato is playing GSL for the section championship game this coming Friday-and all 3 the LDC players you mentioned in your write up are key players on the football team as well (along with several other football and hockey players)

timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:10 pm

From high school goalie to scout in just a few months. Very entertaining "Section 3A HockeyScout".
Can't wait for the -Preseason All Section 3A Team Honors.

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:03 pm

good post mr. section 3a hockey scout... Too bad people like tim corbin get their undies all up in a bunch when they dont see redwood and luverne holding the top two spots in the section.
timcorbin21 wrote:From high school goalie to scout in just a few months. Very entertaining "Section 3A HockeyScout".
Can't wait for the -Preseason All Section 3A Team Honors.
Tim Corbin, you are a real genius arent ya. hahaha... I COULD ONLY WISH I KNEW AS MUCH AS section 3A hockey scout... But i think the goalie you refer to is me. I only go by a name with bender in the title. Oh and if it were me making the rankings YOU KNOW i would have Marshall over Litchfield. Im all about goaltending and Marshall definitely has the edge over LDC. Teams are about equal otherwise.

Its gonna be a fun season on the boards. Ill pick you apart all year long buddy. Your heads already spinnin. :D

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:08 am

correction to the prediction by hockey scout....

Goaltender for Marshall's name is ANDY NOBLE.... look for him as well as Zach McCoy to both have big season's. They are both right up there with Burgau. Marshall's goaltending even after Campion wont suffer.... also a nugget to watch out for everyone.. There is a freshman goaltender for Marshall with the last Campion.. .....

roundhead

Hopefully...

Post by roundhead » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:02 pm

Hopefully these guys are as strong as you say as there may be a drought on the the horizon... Your PWA team took a thrashing by a "Skeleton" team yesterday!

Bettman's Bender wrote:correction to the prediction by hockey scout....

Goaltender for Marshall's name is ANDY NOBLE.... look for him as well as Zach McCoy to both have big season's. They are both right up there with Burgau. Marshall's goaltending even after Campion wont suffer.... also a nugget to watch out for everyone.. There is a freshman goaltender for Marshall with the last Campion.. .....

6thMan

Post by 6thMan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Yes from what i hear Marshall is going to have a rough Peewee season...

Since most of you people seem to care more about youth hockey than high school hockey i put forth the effort to create a nice little thread on the YOUTH forums where you can post to your hearts content about the exploits of your Peewees and leave the rest of us alone to discuss HIGH SCHOOL HOCKEY here.

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24314

Your welcome

hero12

Post by hero12 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 pm

Bettman's Bender wrote:WELL SAID HERO!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

6TH MAN IS MY HERO.
2 is as close to state as 10, sad how your ignorance still doesn't realize this. You are still neglecting the fact that Luverne has as many conference leaders as marshal despite the fact that marshall has almost 4 times the population to choose from for players.....Watch another Fitzer lead the conference this year too!

Section 3A HockeyScout

Preseason All Section 3A

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:33 pm

Hello Again 3A Followers,

Well another week of football in the books and only team from Section 3A will be heading to state (Luverne). The rest of the Section 3A should have captains practice into full swing this week. One week until the Season opening date I can feel the excitement in the air.

In this weeks Section 3A Hockey Preview I have ranked my personal All-Section 3A Preseason team. Again, try to be as non-biased as possible…

Preseason All Section 3A Team

Forwards-
Kaleb Juntuen Sr. New Ulm 19 Goals-16 Assists- 35 Total Points

Finished tied for the team scoring lead this past season. Juntunen he a big frame and center New Ulm’s top line. Juntunen has a good shot and he can be dangerous from anywhere on the ice. He is the centerpiece of the defending Section 3A Champions look for a big year out of the senior.

Eric Hanson Sr. Redwood Valley 24 Goals- 14 Assists- 38 Total Points

Hanson has been a dangerous threat for Redwood Valley the last two seasons. He was an All Southwest Conference performer last year for the Cardinals. Hanson has great speed and an ability to create chances from anywhere in the offensive zone. Redwood Valley’s hopes of 3rd straight Southwest Conference Championship are on this young mans shoulders.

Connor Fitzer Sr. Luverne 21 Goals-21 Assists-42 Total Points

Fitzer is the returning leading scorer in Section 3A. He tallied a balanced attack of 21 goals and 21 helpers. Fitter has a great ability to see the ice and again will be a threat from anywhere in the offensive zone. Luverne will look for a big year out of Fitzer to try to help their program make that next step in competiveness.

Defense-
Quinn Impola Sr. LDC 12 Goals-19Assists- 31 Total Points

Impola is a terrific offensive threat from the blue line for the Dragons. The All WCC defenseman is able to anticipate situations on the ice before anyone else. He is very tough to beat 1-on-1 they will need a big year from Impola to negate the loss of their goaltender in the net. With Impola leading the way from the net out look for another strong defensive year from the Dragons.

Zach Hoffmann Sr. New Ulm 7 Goals-21Assists-28 Total Points

Hoffman is just a terrific all around athlete for the Eagles. He bring an athletic presence on the Blue line for the Eagles. Look for a very solid out of Hoffman he has been a steady presence for new Ulm the past 3 season. Look fro at least a 30-point campaign this year from the senior.

Goaltender
Blake Burgau Sr. New Ulm (16-11-1) 3.04GAA

Burgau set a school record for victories and saves. He led the Eagles to the Section 3A Championship. Look for more of the same this year from Burgau. He is what makes New Ulm so tough to knock of this year. Burgau is poised for a big Senior year in the nets for the Eagles.

Well that is my team. I will check back in next weekend. Hopefully we get some talk going on this thread should be a fun year only one year away.

MajorBender

Post by MajorBender » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:04 am

hero12 wrote:
Bettman's Bender wrote:WELL SAID HERO!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

6TH MAN IS MY HERO.
2 is as close to state as 10, sad how your ignorance still doesn't realize this. You are still neglecting the fact that Luverne has as many conference leaders as marshal despite the fact that marshall has almost 4 times the population to choose from for players.....Watch another Fitzer lead the conference this year too!
Good job calling that one Hero. Thats like saying a bear goes in the woods. The reason players from luverne are the conference leaders is because their toughest competition they play thats outside of the southwest conference is dodge county. Teams like New Ulm, Marshall, Hutch, and LDC put themselves out into REAL hockey. They go play in the schwans cup for their holiday tourny or up to eveleth or duluth. They dont host a tourny and walk over the teams that are not even heard of (Legacy Christian). Back to my point the established top 4 teams in the section dont produce point leaders because of a couple things. First, they have well balanced teams where they can have three lines with each player on those lines getting 10 points instead of one guy on the team getting 40 and the next closest is 10. Im not saying that their isnt a case where on any team where there is a standout player but the team cant be carried on his shoulders. The second is they dont play teams like souix falls, simely or legacy christian they play teams that they probably arent going to beat but will put up a fight to keep it close or possibly win. So you can really stop bragging about how you have two point leaders in the last 8 years. If you think that makes your team great why didnt they win the section or even better the CONFERENCE.

Also can we stop talking about population and class sizes? Since Marshall has more enrolled in their school then Roseau does that mean Marshall should be better? Its all about the size of the program not the school.

timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:04 pm

over the last 4 years marshall and luverne have often split games, goals scored are close.
marshall hasn't beat redwood falls for over 2 years. i dont know how anyone from marshall can claim they've a better program. then either community.

i dont understand this disrespect toward a couple of smaller towns.

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:13 pm

timcorbin21 wrote:over the last 4 years marshall and luverne have often split games, goals scored are close.
marshall hasn't beat redwood falls for over 2 years. i dont know how anyone from marshall can claim they've a better program. then either community.

i dont understand this disrespect toward a couple of smaller towns.
We disrespect smaller towns because you guys give us no reason to respect you.
You guys are flappin your jaws like youre hot crap. But you havent done anything! Seriously, who have you beaten? What have you done? (whaa well uhh, we beat marshall...that one time...those one seasons when we had a good team....oh and we played a cities team, meadow creek christian.....) WHOA! WATCH OUT! yeah thats what i thought. Once you guys go out and beat and average team like Hutch, New Ulm, Litch. Actually, get within ten goals of New Ulm and maybe we will give you some respect. I might even have a little respect for you if you took a ten goal loss in sections with some class. Now im talkin about redwood and luverne.

I actually root for teams like sleepy eye and i dont have a problem with Windom. I have respect for small towns, i just dont have respect for Redwood or LUverne.. LOL

Marshal is a better hockey program because they have sustained 3 lines worth of talent for years, im not just talking about two glory years like redwood or luverne have or may experience. Im talking about repeated success and contention for section. Not only do they keep it within ten goals they keep it within 1 or 2 and sometimes even beat teams like new ulm.. HMMMM? Granted Marshall's youth program is weak right now, but i seem to recall that Marshall's last senior class had a few youth seasons where they didnt even win a game. How do i know, i played on those teams. Guess what, we still competed with and beat the top teams in this section even tho we were the lousiest peewee hockey team in history. So all you Luverne people can bask in your peewee glory all you want. It dont mean $hiite. Luverne had a Bantam team go all the way to the state tournament a few years ago, but did that team make any noise in High School.. NOPE!

Luverne usually has good youth teams but it never translates to high school. Do you know why? Because they dont develop all players. They develop one or two kids per grade and by the time they get to high school they have 6 kids that know how to play. You cant win a game with 6 guys.

Corbin, i got you all year long boiii... im psyched.. talkin madd trash.

Section 3A HockeyScout

Mr. Campion

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Mr. Campion,

While I agree with a lot of what you are saying son...You need to understand that I watched your group of boys come up through the youth ranks. Yes you didn't win many games but you played "A" Hockey and learned to play at a higher speed. While at that time Redwood, Luverne, Windom, Worthington and Sleepy Eye played "B" hockey. When it came to high school those years of playing A made your team more prepared to play with the better teams.

Ya Luverne had a team go to the Bantam B State Tournament ...But who cares B hockey in the southwest is like you said where one or 2 kids can carry you. And they learned that like Windom has in past year B hockey doesn't mean anything.

That has changed though since you have left the youth ranks Mitch. Marshall is now the one going B hockey while You seeing a team like Luverne going A. Its a much different game then when you were there. I do see a shift in the balance of power in the youth coming. And Mitch Campion is just doing what a good hometown kid should he is defending Marshall which he should and be proud you have built what every other program wants to be. However, I think your quote
"Granted Marshall's youth program is weak right now, but i seem to recall that Marshall's last senior class had a few youth seasons where they didnt even win a game. How do i know, i played on those teams. Guess what, we still competed with and beat the top teams in this section even tho we were the lousiest peewee hockey team in history. So all you Luverne people can bask in your peewee glory all you want. It dont mean $hiite. Luverne had a Bantam team go all the way to the state tournament a few years ago, but did that team make any noise in High School.. NOPE!"

Is not legitimate anymore because again you were playing A hockey and you learned that you have to develop more then one line in A hockey. While Luverne use to play B and in B you can win with a kid or two....But now its seems Luverne is committed to A Bantams and developing depth in their program.

I mean are they really the only team going A bantams now?? Come on Southwest Hockey your never going to take the next step. That's why Marshall has been superior down here they played A hockey took lumps but developed depth.

What has happened to Marshall Mr. Campion where did the Foley brothers go that developed you and your classmates through the youth. I just think its sad what is going down below in Marshall. I love your guys program I watched you come to a rise missing state by one game in 2006! Now I just feel like after this year it might be a steady decline....I could be wrong I hope I like watching a Southwest team compete and do well..

Mitch do you know why Marshall is doing this? Why they got rid of the Foley brothers. I know you have younger siblings maybe you could shed some light? Why B hockey?

I truly believe in 2 to 3 years you will see the results of what has happened in the youth. It will show.... But until then just curious on why a great programs like Marshall has went in such a opposite direction.

Sorry just an avid fan looking for answers that otherwise don't get answered I know we are not a youth board I will not make another post about youth but I have been really curious to what is going on in Marshall...

Again I like all of these programs but Worthington, Windom, Sleepy Eye, Fairmont I just cant see it happening looking at the youth.

I always counted on at least Marshall to represent the Southwest well in High School....Now as time keeps going I worry it might be slipping I might be wrong...Just an outsiders perspective I guess

6thMan

Post by 6thMan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:39 pm

The Marshall youth hockey is kinda in a rut, there doesnt seem to be that much interest or investment in the bantam or peewee levels. They just don't have a good coach that can return year after year. I have no idea why they are playing down. The younger generation just seems to be radically different than what we are used to when we think of Marshall hockey, maybe they are going to have a few down years but we wont be able to see if this holds true as it will be a few years till these peewees reach high school.

Also dont forget about Pearson, and how Marshall has a JV team. There is plenty of room for player development there. As long as Kori is there he can at least churn out some decent teams every year even if he has to develop them in high school.

Your giving the Foley's too much credit. If anything it was Krogen who developed Campion's class.

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Hockey scout you are 1000% correct except for the foley part lol. Marshall hockey is on the decline. Tell you what if I was running the association we would aging A level hockey everywhere. Youth hockey in Marshall is on the decline for sure. I don't know what it is but there is no passion in most of the kids out there. There are a few players but overall there is a lack of work ethic and alot of Molly-coddling and whining. I think you might be correct saying that these next two years might be our best shot for aLONG time. However, like sixth man said don't under estimate coach Pearson he knows what he is doing, and he will put a decent team on the ice.
I agree with sixth man about the foleys. They weren't good coaches and even if they were they still would have no place in the association. Their character, motives, and ethics were... Let's just say questionable. Not a good role model for their players. Krogen knows his hockey, just look at the players he turned out from his own household. The problem with the association in whole is too many parents that k ow jack squat about hockey are trying to run the show and do only what is best for their own kid. Funny thing is they don't even know what's best cuz they don't have a clue about the sport at all. If Marshall hockey wants to get out of it's hole it's gotta start looking at the way it's good players developed (krogen,Hansen,Hanson, and others) and take note from the people that know the game. (krogen,Pearson etc). The problem is is that the people who know how to run the show are drown out by lunacy of know-it-all parents. If ever I was in favor of a dictatorship this would be the situation. Lol.

timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:20 pm

Mr. Campion, you always say the nicest things.
I hope you don't live in the same town with the Foleys

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:52 pm

timcorbin21 wrote:Mr. Campion, you always say the nicest things.
I hope you don't live in the same town with the Foleys
Im sorry but i dont think coaches that show up wasted to games is a good thing. I give my honest opinion. I dont hold anything back.

I should just change my name to Mitch Campion. LOL. :D