Section 8A 2010-2011

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins Section 8A? A semifinalist from last year or someone else?

Warroad
44%
Thief River Falls
23%
East Grand Forks
26%
Kittson Central
No votes
Someone Else
7%

Total votes: 43

Air Force 1

Section 8A 2010-2011

Post by Air Force 1 »

Warroad is the defending champ again but suffered top end losses to graduation.

Thief River Falls was barking at their heels last year but Gothberg is now in Fargo and Crosson left for the BCHL. What can the Prowlers do this year?

Kittson Central, Cinderella run to the section semis last year, where do they go from there?

East Grand Forks, big loss in Useldinger, but a seem solid in goal with Aubol, a solid blueline, and good crop of successful bantams are moving up. Some say (and not just Eastsiders) a section darkhorse with a chance at St. Paul.

Who else will play a part in how this shakes out?
The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

In my opinion you have to assume EGF will have the most depth, but warroad consistently puts out great teams. My guess is as good as yours but these two have to be the heavy favorites
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

I'll go with East Side.

But I suspect they won't be much more than a .500 club and will probably start slow and get better as the year progresses.

They have a couple of good defensmen in Poolman and Asmus (sp?) to help Aubol out this year so it is starting to look good there.

Also, the youth program continues to put out strong teams, so I suspect that starting either this year or next year, they will be strong for some time.

Actually, I would like to see EGF consider moving up to AA and giving Roseau and Moorhead a run for the money.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
nipe'n

Post by nipe'n »

Warroad has so very solid players in stoskoph?? And carson grey but I just don't see any depth on the team. But they breed them different up there and they no matter what find ways to win

Eastside has to be my favorite though. They lost one defensemen and they will have an extremely solid D core this year. Even though they lost useldinger they have a proven goal scorer in lawdermilt. They only lost three forwards last year so there is a lot of experience on the team and some bantams players that have great potential

I see nothin coming out of crookston and see them in the lower half of the section

Thief may have a chance at st paul. While losing possibly one of the best goalies to come out of the area they still have a very solid team. They are a well coached team that plays good hard nosed hockey, but I'm not sure if the talent is there this year

1. Egf
2. Warroad
3. Thief
4. RLF
5. Park
6.Crookston
7. LOW
8. Kittson
Air Force 1

Post by Air Force 1 »

TTpuckster wrote:Actually, I would like to see EGF consider moving up to AA and giving Roseau and Moorhead a run for the money.
Don't you think that EGF should win something in A before they worry about taking on perrenial AA powers? They play Roseau and Moorhead twice a year as it is and cannot beat them, along with 2 against Bemidji, one against Brainerd and an Apple Valley game sprinkled in last year, so they had 8 games against AA teams last season, how many did they win?

Or what about the 4 games against GF Red River or GF Central? Surely a club should beat a ND team before they think about Minnesota AA.

Yes, the tide is coming in for the Wave, but they need to consistently win against AA and top ND teams before I could support a move to AA.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

Kind of reminds me of the Twins.
If you don't plan for it and work towards it, you will never beat the big boys!!!
Air Force 1 wrote:
TTpuckster wrote:Actually, I would like to see EGF consider moving up to AA and giving Roseau and Moorhead a run for the money.
Don't you think that EGF should win something in A before they worry about taking on perrenial AA powers? They play Roseau and Moorhead twice a year as it is and cannot beat them, along with 2 against Bemidji, one against Brainerd and an Apple Valley game sprinkled in last year, so they had 8 games against AA teams last season, how many did they win?

Or what about the 4 games against GF Red River or GF Central? Surely a club should beat a ND team before they think about Minnesota AA.

Yes, the tide is coming in for the Wave, but they need to consistently win against AA and top ND teams before I could support a move to AA.
Air Force 1

Post by Air Force 1 »

TTpuckster wrote:Kind of reminds me of the Twins.
If you don't plan for it and work towards it, you will never beat the big boys!!!
Air Force 1 wrote:

I guess I do not understand your logic. 8 games (1/3 of their schedule last year) was against AA schools and 4 more games were against top ND teams and they did not fair too well. Are you saying they are not planning on winning those AA games now because they are not planning on moving up? Why put them on the schedule if you don't plan on trying t win?
SiouxRecruit

Post by SiouxRecruit »

I'd go with the PANTHERS of Park Rapids.... :lol:
Catch me On YouTube @ FishOnLuke
wolfpack33

Post by wolfpack33 »

...you mean the Panthers of Park Rapids, Menahga, Nevis, Walker, Hackensack, Akeley, Cass Lake. :)
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

Air Force 1 wrote:
TTpuckster wrote:Kind of reminds me of the Twins.
Air Force 1 wrote: Don't you think that EGF should win something in A before they worry about taking on perrenial AA powers? They play Roseau and Moorhead twice a year as it is and cannot beat them, along with 2 against Bemidji, one against Brainerd and an Apple Valley game sprinkled in last year, so they had 8 games against AA teams last season, how many did they win?

I guess I do not understand your logic. 8 games (1/3 of their schedule last year) was against AA schools and 4 more games were against top ND teams and they did not fair too well. Are you saying they are not planning on winning those AA games now because they are not planning on moving up? Why put them on the schedule if you don't plan on trying t win?

Been out of town.
Couldn't respond right away.

It has to start all the way down from the beginning mites/squirts/ etc.

You start a mind set in the EGF system that we can play with the big boys and the coaches and whole town have to begin thinking that way.
Just like Roseau.

Then EGF will start winning more of those games that you are referencing.

If you continue to think like you are saying above, then I agree, forget it!!
It will always be like the Twins and the Yankees.
The Twins seem to do well in their own little league, (Section 8A), but when they have to go up against the big boys, (Yankees),..........well, choke choke, choke.....

Get the drift.......
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

wolfpack33 wrote:...you mean the Panthers of Park Rapids, Menahga, Nevis, Walker, Hackensack, Akeley, Cass Lake. :)
etc, etc, etc.

Maybe they should change their name to the Central MN Panthers..........or something like that........
wolfpack33

Post by wolfpack33 »

yeah, it would make sense if they really cared about the walker co-op, but they're not exactly excited about the new editions. the pr hockey board actually voted against the co-op, but the school board voted for it, so that's all that mattered. they'll be park rapids forever, which really isn't a big deal i suppose.
SiouxRecruit

Post by SiouxRecruit »

Park Rapids, Menahga, Nevis.........plus almost every kid on the team goes to PR....at least they did previously.....EITHER WAY.....they win the section...
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

I would have to agree the section is wide open, but have to say all the little towns in the greater Park Rapids area are not enough to send the Panthers to the state tournament. They could make a good run but then its all said and done it will come down to Warroad, EGF and TRF like usual. They just seem to be in it every year no matter who graduates, and will most likely continue to.
nipe'n

Post by nipe'n »

ya ... I just don't see anyone in the section beating any of the big three of section 8 this year, it's warroad, egf, and thiefs section. The rest of the teams just kinda shake things up here and there, but they're never a real threat
SiouxRecruit

Post by SiouxRecruit »

I'm not sure what I'll do not being able to watch a section 8a game this year...maybe when Park Rapids makes it to the xcel this year I can watch one eh? 8) I guess in the mean time I can watch some cake eaters play some puck.....
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

SiouxRecruit wrote: I guess in the mean time I can watch some cake eaters play some puck.....
Been there and done that it is a different game :wink: oh and the metro boys do not like wearing flannel :lol: :lol: :lol:
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
SiouxRecruit wrote: I guess in the mean time I can watch some cake eaters play some puck.....
Been there and done that it is a different game :wink: oh and the metro boys do not like wearing flannel :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe Sue Recruit can start a new trend in Edina with Flannel
SiouxRecruit

Post by SiouxRecruit »

I better pick out a new outfit to wear! :wink:
TTpuckster wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:

Maybe Sue Recruit can start a new trend in Edina with Flannel
watchdog

Post by watchdog »

alittle bird told me crosson would be back to play for thief river falls this winter.
Benito Juarez

Post by Benito Juarez »

watchdog wrote:alittle bird told me crosson would be back to play for thief river falls this winter.

Tough break for TRF.
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

u 4got bena is a part of the park rapids super team. that enrollment puts them very close to being AA. they won't win the section or even make the championship, MAYBE semis
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

MHGr8ness wrote:u 4got bena is a part of the park rapids super team. that enrollment puts them very close to being AA. they won't win the section or even make the championship, MAYBE semis
Bena the new hotbed of hockey :lol:
lowhockey

Post by lowhockey »

Lake of the Woods can't be entirely pulled out of this picture either, Bitter from Bemidji moved back this year and he is a very solid defense. They didn't graduate much and should have 2-3 solid lines. as a defensively minded team they could be a dark horse
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

lowhockey wrote:Lake of the Woods can't be entirely pulled out of this picture either, Bitter from Bemidji moved back this year and he is a very solid defense. They didn't graduate much and should have 2-3 solid lines. as a defensively minded team they could be a dark horse
I agree, LOW should be a factor this year.

Looks like a very interesting year is shaping up for 8A. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: