Wes Walz is assistant at East Ridge

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WB6162

Wes Walz is assistant at East Ridge

Post by WB6162 »

For those of you who don't already know. Not a bad guy to have on your bench as an assistant no less.

I think ER is going to smoke a few of the pretenders in the Suburban East who will be looking down on them.
Master Recruiter

Post by Master Recruiter »

Please provide the link that a former NHLer = good coach

look at Phil Housley :lol: :lol: :lol:
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

Well for one, he's just the assistant. And two, high school kids now actually remember watching Walz with the Wild. Nobody that would play for East Ridge now remembers Phil Housley.
EP two out of three.
Lily Braden

Post by Lily Braden »

Master Recruiter wrote:Please provide the link that a former NHLer = good coach

I'm not sure, but I heard Curt Giles does OK.
Master Recruiter

Lily Braden wrote:

pretty sure anyone of us could do a good job at Edina with that level of talent.

That being said. thats one example, but no where has it been proven that good player=good coach
Master Recruiter

HockeyMN1 wrote:Well for one, he's just the assistant. And two, high school kids now actually remember watching Walz with the Wild. Nobody that would play for East Ridge now remembers Phil Housley.
so if you remember the guy from the NHL, that makes a difference?

:lol:

Im not saying Walz is good or bad coach, Im just saying that just because you played the game at a high level, doesnt make you a good coach.

The greatest coach of all time Scotty Bowman didnt even play in the NHL
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

Lily Braden wrote:

idk.. edina isn't a very strong program :lol:
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

Master Recruiter wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:Well for one, he's just the assistant. And two, high school kids now actually remember watching Walz with the Wild. Nobody that would play for East Ridge now remembers Phil Housley.

Im not saying Walz is good or bad coach, Im just saying that just because you played the game at a high level, doesnt make you a good coach.

The Greatest coach of all time won Gold in 1980...nuff said
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
Master Recruiter wrote:

Amen to that. =D>
Always celly hard.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

Master Recruiter wrote:

Yes it does make a difference. If you're a high school kid and you are listening to Phil Housley you probably don't really care but if it's Wes Walz and two years ago you saw him at the X and now he's there, you're gonna listen up and respect him more.
EP two out of three.
Master Recruiter

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
Master Recruiter wrote:

I stand corrected

1. Brooks
2. Bowman
Master Recruiter

HockeyMN1 wrote:
Master Recruiter wrote:

Yes it does make a difference. If you're a high school kid and you are listening to Phil Housley you probably don't really care but if it's Wes Walz and two years ago you saw him at the X and now he's there, you're gonna listen up and respect him more.
I disagree 100%. If you play for Housley or you play for Giles..just because you didnt see them play, you still know there credentials.

You dont just "work harder" or "listen" more because you have seen a guy play. Thats just preposterous
wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 »

Master Recruiter wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
Master Recruiter wrote: so if you remember the guy from the NHL, that makes a difference?

I disagree 100%. If you play for Housley or you play for Giles..just because you didnt see them play, you still know there credentials.

You dont just "work harder" or "listen" more because you have seen a guy play. Thats just preposterous
I agree, I'm an 18 year old high school student and I'm plenty familiar with Phil Housley.
Always celly hard.
hero12

Post by hero12 »

HockeyMN1 wrote:
Master Recruiter wrote:

If you know anything about MN high school hockey, you're going to respect and trust Housley a lot more.
brandy38

Post by brandy38 »

Being a former (and good) NHLer might give you a leg up in getting respect and your players' attention very early on, but you have to work just as hard as anyone else to keep it.
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

hero12 wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
Master Recruiter wrote: so if you remember the guy from the NHL, that makes a difference?

If you know anything about MN high school hockey, you're going to respect and trust Housley a lot more.
I guess I don't know anything about HS hockey then.
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

Regarding Housely, you gotta give him credit for what he accomplished as a player. As far as high school coaching goes, he hasn't accomplished much. With regards to Walz at East Ridge, it would more of a story if he was actually playing there. :wink:
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

Tell how many "Low" talent teams consistently make it to the state tournament because of their superstar coach? Don't kid yourself, It's more about the players at all levels of hockey than it is the coaches. Yes, some coaches are good and some are bad but good coaches get the most out of whatever talent they have, it isn't always about how many wins they have accumulated.
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:Regarding Housely, you gotta give him credit for what he accomplished as a player. As far as high school coaching goes, he hasn't accomplished much. With regards to Walz at East Ridge, it would more of a story if he was actually playing there. :wink:
There is a reason that they don't get to the State Tourney. One of the biggest hockey associations in the state. The cronyism and politics in SW is bad and Housley has done nothing about it. Another year and they won't get a sniff of the State Tourney but as long at they get their political picks on the teams over there they are happy.

I think a coach would be nuts to take that job.
StillAnEagle

Post by StillAnEagle »

Lily Braden wrote:

That's funny... last year at this time he was a Phil Housley due to having some really great teams without converting a state title.
Citizens for one class hockey
tweisguy

Post by tweisguy »

Back in the day wes walz was my favorite wild player. He was by know means the best player on the ice, but he was a very gritty guy who went 100% on every single shift. An awesome individual to look up to. His team may not go far this year but watch out he`s gonna get everything out of his players. And in a few years who knows!
BearsSensGophs

Post by BearsSensGophs »

The greatest player of all time Wayne Gretzky couldn't coach Phoenix.....

That is the NHL but still it shows you that no matter how good of a player you were it doesn't make you a good coach.