Moorhead over Wayzata

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

StillAnEagle
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:36 pm

Moorhead over Wayzata

Post by StillAnEagle » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:30 pm

2-1.

Way to go spuds.
Citizens for one class hockey

StillAnEagle
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:36 pm

Post by StillAnEagle » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:42 pm

So are there any undefeated teams left in the state? Wayzata and Benilde I think were the last to go down.
Citizens for one class hockey

east hockey
Site Admin
Posts: 6853
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:33 pm
Location: Proctor, MN
Contact:

Post by east hockey » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:44 pm

StillAnEagle wrote:So are there any undefeated teams left in the state? Wayzata and Benilde I think were the last to go down.
Just Blaine in Class AA. A couple in Class A are still undefeated.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

karl(east)
Posts: 6095
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Post by karl(east) » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:41 pm

Congrats to the Spuds!

Bemidji was also undefeated until yesterday, but Blaine now stands alone. However, I doubt that will last long--even if they do get by Minnetonka, they still will have to play Edina or Hill in the last game of the Schwan Cup.

This week always does a wonderful job of wreaking havoc on rankings. We've also got Burnsville going down today, and Grand Rapids tying a team they probably should have beaten. Further craziness is likely to ensue.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2425
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:02 pm

I hope that "the don" was in that stands to watch the Spuds derail the trojans. ha-ha-ha!!! Nice win Moorhead.

black sheep
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:57 pm

Post by black sheep » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:27 am

maybe the north is not as dead as it appeared early...8aa might actually be able to play some hockey afterall

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2425
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:00 am

black sheep wrote:maybe the north is not as dead as it appeared early...8aa might actually be able to play some hockey afterall
Yes, never count out Moorhead they have a great youth program that feeds a consistantly good high school program. Nice to knock off a program the size of Wayzata that is a signature win against to top dog of AA hockey. 8AA just got back on the map.

Green and White Fan
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 3:51 pm

Post by Green and White Fan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:15 am

Roseau has beaten Moorhead and Bemidji has tied them. Maybe 8AA is deeper than folks have given them credit! I realize one game does not a season make, but contrary to a lot of peoples feelings, there is still some good hockey teams north of St. Cloud.

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:16 am

I wish 8AA would just decide to have their semi-finals the last Friday night as a double header at the new rink in Bemidji. That would be epic.

HShockeywatcher
Posts: 6848
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:21 pm

Post by HShockeywatcher » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:27 am

karl(east) wrote:Congrats to the Spuds!

Bemidji was also undefeated until yesterday, but Blaine now stands alone. However, I doubt that will last long--even if they do get by Minnetonka, they still will have to play Edina or Hill in the last game of the Schwan Cup.

This week always does a wonderful job of wreaking havoc on rankings. We've also got Burnsville going down today, and Grand Rapids tying a team they probably should have beaten. Further craziness is likely to ensue.
Probably, but that LN team also beat Eagan and played EP well. It looks like this team will probably be representing 1AA; I wouldn't take them lightly. A tie isn't a loss also.

SPUDNUT
Posts: 978
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Moorhead

Post by SPUDNUT » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:12 am

east hockey wrote:
StillAnEagle wrote:So are there any undefeated teams left in the state? Wayzata and Benilde I think were the last to go down.
Just Blaine in Class AA. A couple in Class A are still undefeated.

Lee


Blaine is still unbeaten, but has 2 ties.

defense
Posts: 1263
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Post by defense » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:58 am

rapidsrapids wrote:I wish 8AA would just decide to have their semi-finals the last Friday night as a double header at the new rink in Bemidji. That would be epic.
Deep?
Yes.

Thing is, one of the two who are still in the section that have won it might not get to the semi's. WOuldn't it be interesting if Roseau or Moorhead didn't make it??
You got Moorhead, Brainerd, Roseau, Bemidji, and St. Cloud Tech all in the mix at this point....and I don't know if Moorhead or Roseau is a solid pick yet.

SPUDNUT
Posts: 978
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Moorhead

Post by SPUDNUT » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:01 pm

defense wrote:
rapidsrapids wrote:I wish 8AA would just decide to have their semi-finals the last Friday night as a double header at the new rink in Bemidji. That would be epic.
You got Moorhead, Brainerd, Roseau, Bemidji, and St. Cloud Tech all in the mix at this point....and I don't know if Moorhead or Roseau is a solid pick yet.


Every team in the state is "in the mix at this point" !

Green and White Fan
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 3:51 pm

Post by Green and White Fan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:16 pm

At this point, it probably wouldn't be out of the realm, for neither Roseau or Moorhead to be in the final. Lot of hockey left for a team or two to seperate themselves from the pack though.

I think a final in the new rink in Bemidji would be great!

StillAnEagle
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:36 pm

Post by StillAnEagle » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:13 pm

Green and White Fan wrote:Roseau has beaten Moorhead and Bemidji has tied them. Maybe 8AA is deeper than folks have given them credit! I realize one game does not a season make, but contrary to a lot of peoples feelings, there is still some good hockey teams north of St. Cloud.
You can NEVER EVER count out the north. I've seen plenty of north teams win games over suburban schools when they were the clear underdog. I appreciate the confidence, attitude, and grittiness that the Roseaus, Grand Rapids, Moorheads, Warroads, etc bring to the rink.

This coming from a big school/suburban kid. Congrats again Moorhead.
Citizens for one class hockey

BSUBeaver
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:24 pm
Contact:

Post by BSUBeaver » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:11 pm

rapidsrapids wrote:I wish 8AA would just decide to have their semi-finals the last Friday night as a double header at the new rink in Bemidji. That would be epic.
That would be awesome!

HSS
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:57 pm

Post by HSS » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:24 pm

[quote="rapidsrapids"]I wish 8AA would just decide to have their semi-finals the last Friday night as a double header at the new rink in Bemidji. That would be epic.[/quote]

They tried that a couple years ago and the coaches hated it. For 8AA home ice for the semis is a big deal. The other sections that don't have to travel it can work, but case in point last year Brainerd having to go to Roseau for the semis in #3 vs #2 and Roseau gets the win. I'm not sure Roseau wins on neutral ice. The coaches want home ice advantage if they get #1 or #2 in section.

HockeyMN1
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:02 am

Post by HockeyMN1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:08 pm

Maple Grove 4
Wayzata 2
Someone's not as good as we thought.
EP two out of three.

HShockeywatcher
Posts: 6848
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:21 pm

Post by HShockeywatcher » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:37 pm

HSS wrote:
rapidsrapids wrote:I wish 8AA would just decide to have their semi-finals the last Friday night as a double header at the new rink in Bemidji. That would be epic.
They tried that a couple years ago and the coaches hated it. For 8AA home ice for the semis is a big deal. The other sections that don't have to travel it can work, but case in point last year Brainerd having to go to Roseau for the semis in #3 vs #2 and Roseau gets the win. I'm not sure Roseau wins on neutral ice. The coaches want home ice advantage if they get #1 or #2 in section.
So why not keep it as a tentative location that the #1 seed earns?
HockeyMN1 wrote:Maple Grove 4
Wayzata 2
Someone's not as good as we thought.
I saw many very close scores on their schedule while not playing that many top opponents.
They lose to a program that got 2nd in state two years ago after a 12-9-3 season, which included an 8 game losing streak, and one they beat at home by 1 this season. They are still a good team, but one that can be beat any night.

starmvp
Posts: 3223
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:12 pm
Location: State of Hockey

Post by starmvp » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:02 am

I'm still going to stand with the Trojans after this slump. It's their year

Doglover
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:54 pm

Post by Doglover » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:27 am

That's what they said about Tonka last year (myself included) and Edina the year before that...everyone has a shot at State at this point in the season. Teams with less "star" talent have a better shot because they play better as a team when it counts.

High Flyer
Posts: 464
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:13 am

Post by High Flyer » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:44 am

Doglover wrote:That's what they said about Tonka last year (myself included) and Edina the year before that...everyone has a shot at State at this point in the season. Teams with less "star" talent have a better shot because they play better as a team when it counts.
One of the most intelligent posts I have read in years, glad I was trolling this morning to read it

I remember laughing at MyFoxHockey season premier when the so called expert stated that there were only 7 teams that could make a legitimate claim on the number one spot. I would love to see him replay this and ask him what he thinks now.

AlterEagle
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:08 pm

Post by AlterEagle » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:17 pm

High Flyer wrote:
Doglover wrote:That's what they said about Tonka last year (myself included) and Edina the year before that...everyone has a shot at State at this point in the season. Teams with less "star" talent have a better shot because they play better as a team when it counts.
One of the most intelligent posts I have read in years, glad I was trolling this morning to read it

I remember laughing at MyFoxHockey season premier when the so called expert stated that there were only 7 teams that could make a legitimate claim on the number one spot. I would love to see him replay this and ask him what he thinks now.
I would suggest that there's a difference between the number 1 spot and the State Champs (even though the State champs, by default, get the 1 rating at the end of the season). The expert probably feels the same. Just my opinion though.

Factsmatter1
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:15 pm

Post by Factsmatter1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:46 pm

I suspect all the teams that make it to the state tourney will have 5-8 losses or more this year...

5th Line Center
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:46 am

Post by 5th Line Center » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:49 pm

AlterEagle wrote:
High Flyer wrote:
Doglover wrote:That's what they said about Tonka last year (myself included) and Edina the year before that...everyone has a shot at State at this point in the season. Teams with less "star" talent have a better shot because they play better as a team when it counts.
One of the most intelligent posts I have read in years, glad I was trolling this morning to read it

I remember laughing at MyFoxHockey season premier when the so called expert stated that there were only 7 teams that could make a legitimate claim on the number one spot. I would love to see him replay this and ask him what he thinks now.
I would suggest that there's a difference between the number 1 spot and the State Champs (even though the State champs, by default, get the 1 rating at the end of the season). The expert probably feels the same. Just my opinion though.
Tonka last year, Edina the year before that, and Roseau the year before that... One team might appear to stand out on paper, but they don't just hand the trophy to the team that seems to have the best roster. You gotta play the games--and the team that shows up to play takes home the prize, even if they had been the inferior team up to that point in time... 8)

Locked