Hockey Hub Stat accuracy

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jimbo99

Hockey Hub Stat accuracy

Post by Jimbo99 »

Hockeyhub is an awesome site, great for MN hockey and I know they can't do it all, but how does everyone feel about the accuracy of the stats? Assists, shot counts, etc. ? It seems maybe they could help advocate for and set up a more reliable system. Thoughts?
GopherPuck15

Re: Hockey Hub Stat accuracy

Post by GopherPuck15 »

Jimbo99 wrote:Hockeyhub is an awesome site, great for MN hockey and I know they can't do it all, but how does everyone feel about the accuracy of the stats? Assists, shot counts, etc. ? It seems maybe they could help advocate for and set up a more reliable system. Thoughts?
The only way to do this is to put computers in every rink with live updates of every game. The shot count won't ever be right, but many of the coaches enter the scores and stats in to Hockey Hub, and they often don't miss much. I'd say for goals, assists, points and penalty minutes, everything is pretty accurate.
seek & destroy

Re: Hockey Hub Stat accuracy

Post by seek & destroy »

GopherPuck15 wrote:
Jimbo99 wrote:Hockeyhub is an awesome site, great for MN hockey and I know they can't do it all, but how does everyone feel about the accuracy of the stats? Assists, shot counts, etc. ? It seems maybe they could help advocate for and set up a more reliable system. Thoughts?
The only way to do this is to put computers in every rink with live updates of every game. The shot count won't ever be right, but many of the coaches enter the scores and stats in to Hockey Hub, and they often don't miss much. I'd say for goals, assists, points and penalty minutes, everything is pretty accurate.
I totally disagree. Goals and penalty minutes are definitely accurate but assists are not even close. Many teams (and coaches) don't mind padding their stats by making sure they give 1st and 2nd assists on virtually every goal even though in many cases they don't deserve them. A player shoots a puck at the goalie and the goalie saves it and places for his defensemen to move up the ice - the puck is stolen from the defensemen by a forward who then scores - scoring should be a goal and no assist but all to often you will see an assist to the player who shot the puck on goal and sometimes even to the player who passed it to that player who shot the puck.

It isn't the fault of the hockey hub - which is one of the best things to happen to High School hockey - but I wouldn't say that the coaches keep everything pretty accurate.
eastsideguy

Post by eastsideguy »

It is the best system we have and you should be able to rely on the coaches for accuracy. There does seem to be a few guilty offenders of multiple assists on every goal, these teams and coaches are fairly easy to spot.
Nobodyonya

Post by Nobodyonya »

eastsideguy wrote:It is the best system we have and you should be able to rely on the coaches for accuracy. There does seem to be a few guilty offenders of multiple assists on every goal, these teams and coaches are fairly easy to spot.
On the flip side when an assist is obviously awarded to the wrong player and the Coach states he will fix it, but doesn't then the reliability seems to diminish. Hockeyhub is a guideline mistakes are going to happen with the referee's and coaches it's not going to be completely accurate
woodley

Post by woodley »

Shot count is dependent on who's entering the info. At the Schwan's cup, they just seemed to arbitrarily choose a number (they missed almost 50% at two games I saw). We back checked it w/ the team's statisticians and they just laughed about the lack of shots.
cooper26

Post by cooper26 »

woodley wrote:Shot count is dependent on who's entering the info. At the Schwan's cup, they just seemed to arbitrarily choose a number (they missed almost 50% at two games I saw). We back checked it w/ the team's statisticians and they just laughed about the lack of shots.
I saw the same thing there. Shot counts are brutal at least half the time. Hockey hub shouldn't even bother reporting.
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

my team's shot are always off. they're usually close, however, but still off and sometimes by alot. it's usually pretty good about goals, but i've seen some given to the wrong player and assists are way off. i've seen people who were not even on the rink pick up assists.
Skip_per

Stats

Post by Skip_per »

I do the Hockey Hub Input for our team, I have done it since its inception. It is accurate, as with any computer program, it is only as accurate as the person putting the data into it. I have noticed that yes some teams always have 2 assists, not the case with us. We put in what happened, If a kid questions an assist, we look at the video of the game and see what we can so we get it right.

What I struggle with and have for a few years is parents and even kids sometimes who do not agree with what happened or what was seen on tape. Especially shots on goal, A shot on goal is something that requires some judgement. I sit up off the ice and at the center. I get a good view, not a perfect one. So I get some wrong. But am usually pretty close. No I do not review the whole game again for the SOG. Just for assists if need be.

98% of the time what I enter live as the game is going on is accurate and does not change.

I am not a parent, I am a volunteer who loves Hockey, I stay pretty unbiased. Just do the facts...........
Skipper
Peace
woodley

Re: Stats

Post by woodley »

Skip_per wrote:A shot on goal is something that requires some judgement.
Skipper - A shot on goal doesn't require judgement. Per the off ice officials rule book a shot on goal is anytime a puck is directed by an opposing player and would go in for a goal but for the goalie stopping it. So the 185 foot intended icing that goes on goal and is stopped is a shot on goal. After a rebound when the puck is sitting in front of the leg pad and there are 3 wacks at it that cause it to go back onto the leg pad, there is a total of 4 shots.

Now, I understand that most scorers and stats people don't give these as shots, but, per the rule, they should.
Skip_per

SOG

Post by Skip_per »

Yes you are correct, however, one must judge if the puck is on goal, ie wide of the net, right or left or over the net. This requires judgement, when one is sitting 25 feet up off of the ice and is at center ice as well.
I hae had parents think I should credit the kid a SOG whenever the goalie gloves the puck............ what do you think is there a judgement call there or ?????
Skipper
Peace
MHGr8ness

Re: Stats

Post by MHGr8ness »

Skip_per wrote:I do the Hockey Hub Input for our team, I have done it since its inception. It is accurate, as with any computer program, it is only as accurate as the person putting the data into it. I have noticed that yes some teams always have 2 assists, not the case with us. We put in what happened, If a kid questions an assist, we look at the video of the game and see what we can so we get it right.

What I struggle with and have for a few years is parents and even kids sometimes who do not agree with what happened or what was seen on tape. Especially shots on goal, A shot on goal is something that requires some judgement. I sit up off the ice and at the center. I get a good view, not a perfect one. So I get some wrong. But am usually pretty close. No I do not review the whole game again for the SOG. Just for assists if need be.

98% of the time what I enter live as the game is going on is accurate and does not change.

I am not a parent, I am a volunteer who loves Hockey, I stay pretty unbiased. Just do the facts...........
that's very true and ur team is lucky
bbad

Post by bbad »

From what I have seen, I totally agree that the shots on goal are not accurate. I'm confused. So what is recorded here is not what is recorded by the officials doing the books at the game? You have people in the stands reporting what they see in contrast to what us recorded? Seems odd, yet explains why what is recorded on hockeyhub is consistently different than what is displayed and/or announced during games. :?
woodley

Post by woodley »

Skipper - Point well taken, can't believe I didn't consider the high/wide perspective!! We do ours from the box, generally with a third person as a spotter so the high/wide isn't quite as much of an issue, but still generates debate!
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

I witnessed a game tonight that puts this subject in a new light for me. In a 5-2 game only one goal was credited to the correct player. Two players in this game had 3 point nights (no phantoms) and got credit for zero. There was an assist awarded to a kid sitting in the stands! It seems they picked players randomly.
really?

Post by really? »

[quote="keepyourheadup"]I witnessed a game tonight that puts this subject in a new light for me. In a 5-2 game only one goal was credited to the correct player. Two players in this game had 3 point nights (no phantoms) and got credit for zero. There was an assist awarded to a kid sitting in the stands! It seems they picked players randomly.[/quote]

In the same game, they credited the wrong goalie for playing.
(also true in another game I was following tonight).
Nobodyonya

Post by Nobodyonya »

bbad wrote:From what I have seen, I totally agree that the shots on goal are not accurate. I'm confused. So what is recorded here is not what is recorded by the officials doing the books at the game? You have people in the stands reporting what they see in contrast to what us recorded? Seems odd, yet explains why what is recorded on hockeyhub is consistently different than what is displayed and/or announced during games. :?
Totally agree! At the game last night I kept track of what was announced just for curiousity reasons since reading about this thread earlier and I couldn't believe what was recorded on Hockey Hub. What was announced and then recorded in Hockey Hub was a 63% error! Who does this recording for Hockey Hub? People who pad other players stats? Hockey Hub is not a good resource for players stats
dueling21

Post by dueling21 »

Nobodyonya wrote:
bbad wrote:From what I have seen, I totally agree that the shots on goal are not accurate. I'm confused. So what is recorded here is not what is recorded by the officials doing the books at the game? You have people in the stands reporting what they see in contrast to what us recorded? Seems odd, yet explains why what is recorded on hockeyhub is consistently different than what is displayed and/or announced during games. :?
Totally agree! At the game last night I kept track of what was announced just for curiousity reasons since reading about this thread earlier and I couldn't believe what was recorded on Hockey Hub. What was announced and then recorded in Hockey Hub was a 63% error! Who does this recording for Hockey Hub? People who pad other players stats? Hockey Hub is not a good resource for players stats
In 95% of the games, the Hockey Hub gets its stats from the official scorebook kept at the game (which is then faxed to the Hub or entered in manually on the site by the coaches). Coaches will send in corrections as they're needed, as well. As others have stated, if you can't trust the official book, then all is lost anyway and there's no sense keeping any stats for anybody other than the final score of the game.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Kudos to the HUB, someone went back and corrected the stats for the above mentioned game. Helps their credibility .
eastsideguy

Post by eastsideguy »

keepyourheadup wrote:Kudos to the HUB, someone went back and corrected the stats for the above mentioned game. Helps their credibility .
I would say kudos to your coach or manager for getting the stats corrected. The hub only reports the scoresheet as it is given to them. The coach is responsible for correcting mistakes made by one ice officials or over zealous kids.
dueling21

Post by dueling21 »

keepyourheadup wrote:Kudos to the HUB, someone went back and corrected the stats for the above mentioned game. Helps their credibility .
I may be tooting their horn, but I think the Hub is the MOST credible source out there. They're trying hard to be THE source for high school hockey in Minnesota (and I might add, quite successfully so far). Kind of an NHL.com of MN Hockey.
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

I do believe the hub is a very excellent source it is to bad that a few coaches pad the assists and make the hub a unreliable source for scouts or other people interested. I witnessed a girls high school game last night and heard a number of unassisted goals announced and was quite surprised when I looked at the hub today and noticed the unnassited goals now had assists. To more of my surprise I also noticed the player getting the extra assists also had the same last name as one of the coachs. To bad some people have to ruin a good thing.
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

^But that's girls' hockey, nobody cares about that.
Hankya

Post by Hankya »

Are individual stats really that important? does someone from hill with 40 points really mean they are a better player then someone in a tough conference with 25 points. Crazy.

Hub, keep up the great site. nix the stats, nobody cares.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

Roseauverrated wrote:^But that's girls' hockey, nobody cares about that.
Post that on the girls board. You may get some laughs.

8)
The Puck
LGW