Hermantown vs. Grand Rapids

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win

Hermantown
44%
Grand Rapids
56%

Total votes: 32

DMan-dad

Post by DMan-dad » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:28 pm

HawkeyPower wrote:30-40% open enrollment in the youth program is a huge exageration. They are not even close to that. For most of the open enrollments, they can be contributed to the mess going on in Duluth. As far as the Varsity program goes, I do not beleive there are any Open Enrolls on either Jv or Varsity. The beauty about the internet is you can go on and say whatever you want. Next time get the facts before you report.
6 out of 14 on our team are open enrolled. Possibly 7, not sure about one kid.

bronco2828

Post by bronco2828 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:07 pm

hshockeyfan53 wrote:
DMan-dad wrote:
7A22A wrote:
HawkeyPower wrote:Rapids played their back up goalie.
Game was tied 1 to 1 after one period.
Hermantown took a 4 to 1 lead after two. And added one more in the third.
Garret Skribich had four goals. Jared Thomas got hurt in the second, missed a few shifts and tried skating the rest of the game but was definetely bothered.
Shots were basically even.
Gotta like open enrollment.
In 2007 we could brag that everyone on that State Championship team (except Hardy, the goaltender, whose family moved into the district) came up through the Hermantown youth program. Can't say that anymore. In fact, even in the youth program I bet it is 30-40% open enrolled kids now.
Yeah good point. However I'm sure anybody familiar with the surrounding area knows that Hermantown is one of the best schools in the northern half of the state when you add up athletics, academics, and what not. I don't blame the parents for wanting to bring their kids to the best school around. I'm sure there are plenty of kids playing for Hermantown living in the school districts of Proctor, Central, Albrook, Esko... etc.....
So with all the open enrolled kids comin in and outstanding athletics, academics and tax base why the hell can't the school district or city come up with a decent arena?

sinbin006

Post by sinbin006 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:10 pm

DMan-dad wrote:
HawkeyPower wrote:30-40% open enrollment in the youth program is a huge exageration. They are not even close to that. For most of the open enrollments, they can be contributed to the mess going on in Duluth. As far as the Varsity program goes, I do not beleive there are any Open Enrolls on either Jv or Varsity. The beauty about the internet is you can go on and say whatever you want. Next time get the facts before you report.
14 kids? What is this, a Peewee B squad?

Looks easy from here

Post by Looks easy from here » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:36 pm

DMan-dad wrote:
who is your team

stopthepuck

Post by stopthepuck » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:52 pm

My guess is that he is speaking of the Squirt or PeeWee levels as there are quite a few move in's and open enrollees at that level. None at the high school level that I am aware of. Proctor hockey is struggling as is the Duluth School district leading to an influx to the primary and middle school. Not going to get them a better arena or updated schools, unfortunately -- tight fisted bunch (don't part ways with their dollars, not for updated schools at least) in Hermantown

HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:31 pm

6 out of 14 on our team are open enrolled. Possibly 7, not sure about one kid.[/quote]

Thats your team. There are probably 250-300 kids in HAHA I am guessing and by your statement there are 75-90 kids openend enrolled. The school disrtrict closed the open enrollment at many grade levels when they hit certain levels. Just because your Peewee B team has 6 or 7, that doesn't mean every level does. Again, think before you hit send.

bigdog69

go hawks

Post by bigdog69 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:39 pm

big big win! boy the bitterness sure comes out after a class A team beat a AA. give the hawks credit, well coached good team and not 1 open enrolled kid on the varsity or jv, get the facts

Northhcky

Post by Northhcky » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:51 pm

hshockeyfan53 wrote:
DMan-dad wrote:
7A22A wrote:
HawkeyPower wrote:Rapids played their back up goalie.
Game was tied 1 to 1 after one period.
Hermantown took a 4 to 1 lead after two. And added one more in the third.
Garret Skribich had four goals. Jared Thomas got hurt in the second, missed a few shifts and tried skating the rest of the game but was definetely bothered.
Shots were basically even.
Gotta like open enrollment.
In 2007 we could brag that everyone on that State Championship team (except Hardy, the goaltender, whose family moved into the district) came up through the Hermantown youth program. Can't say that anymore. In fact, even in the youth program I bet it is 30-40% open enrolled kids now.
Yeah good point. However I'm sure anybody familiar with the surrounding area knows that Hermantown is one of the best schools in the northern half of the state when you add up athletics, academics, and what not. I don't blame the parents for wanting to bring their kids to the best school around. I'm sure there are plenty of kids playing for Hermantown living in the school districts of Proctor, Central, Albrook, Esko... etc.....
Hardy did play youth hockey at Hermantown too. I think he moved there from Colorado when he "might" of been a peewee...for sure he played Bantams there. As far as anyone on the HS team now they ALL played youth hockey at Hermantown. There has been some openings at the lower grades for open enrollment but open enrollment at the HS is closed and has been for a while. Before you make statements like that you should find the facts and name someone on the HS team that is open enrolled. Untill you can keep your sour grapes to yourself!!

ilike2score

open enrollment

Post by ilike2score » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:00 am

The true effects of open enrollment will not be felt at the High School level for several more years as the current youth hockey open enrollment policy has only been in place less than two years and has not yet run its course. This years Hermantown team is home grown and has not allowed outsiders to even tryout, but rather sent them elsewhere (Junior Gold Duluth). The current youth hockey open enrollment policy can and does wreak havoc on the smaller associations. At the youth level several kids have open enrolled into Hermantown at the Bantam level and even more at the PeeWee Level this season. My understanding is neither side likes this scenario. I am all for choice and choosing where our kids go to school and play hockey. That is why we can buy and sell houses and move. I heard that at the PeeWee Level this year Proctor lost six skaters to open enrollmet. That left them with 25 total kids to fill two teams....or a twenty percent loss. Rumors are they are losing even more next year.

No Political Connections

Re: open enrollment

Post by No Political Connections » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:35 am

ilike2score wrote:The true effects of open enrollment will not be felt at the High School level for several more years as the current youth hockey open enrollment policy has only been in place less than two years and has not yet run its course. This years Hermantown team is home grown and has not allowed outsiders to even tryout, but rather sent them elsewhere (Junior Gold Duluth). The current youth hockey open enrollment policy can and does wreak havoc on the smaller associations. At the youth level several kids have open enrolled into Hermantown at the Bantam level and even more at the PeeWee Level this season. My understanding is neither side likes this scenario. I am all for choice and choosing where our kids go to school and play hockey. That is why we can buy and sell houses and move. I heard that at the PeeWee Level this year Proctor lost six skaters to open enrollmet. That left them with 25 total kids to fill two teams....or a twenty percent loss. Rumors are they are losing even more next year.

Name one Duluth Jr Gold player in the last 5 years that was "not allowed to try out" for Hermantown hockey and sent there. I don't know if outsiders are not allowed to try out. I do know that Duluth Jr Gold does not benefit from any such policy, as a rule. There were a few Hermantown players on that team last year, but none of them were denied a tryout at Hermantown.

DMan-dad

Post by DMan-dad » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:58 am

Wow, you guys are brutal (HP). Can't we all just be friends? I never claimed to know where any of the high school players played youth hockey, and I don't care if any are open enrolled. My point was, the landscape is changing with open enrollment and will change more over the next few years. The upper elementary and middle school grades are still accepting more kids and that's where my numbers came from. Geez.

JustSaying

Hermantown vs Grand Rapids

Post by JustSaying » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:21 am

DMan: I think a few forum members disagreed with you when you stated:

"In 2007 we could brag that everyone on that State Championship team (except Hardy, the goaltender, whose family moved into the district) came up through the Hermantown youth program. Can't say that anymore. In fact, even in the youth program I bet it is 30-40% open enrolled kids now."

Your statement implies that since the 2007 State Championship team, Hermantown High School teams have some open enrolled players on its roster. I can tell you that after doing some research, ALL Hermantown high school players have come through Hermantown's Amateur Hockey Association.