St Thomas (8-3) @ Shattuck (26-5-2) 1-18-11 7pm

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:42 pm

Shattuck-St Marys
83%
St Thomas Academy Cadets
17%

Total votes: 24

HShockeywatcher

St Thomas (8-3) @ Shattuck (26-5-2) 1-18-11 7pm

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Shattuck hasn't lost since before the MSHSL started. They have scored 22 goals while allowing 5 in beating Delbarton and Culver twice in the last three days. Should be a real struggle for St Thomas.
wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 »

Shattuck will win by at least 5
2012 pond hockey All Star
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Shattuck 7-2
HShockeywatcher

wblhcky24 wrote:Shattuck will win by at least 5
Unfortunately this is probably true.

Does Shattuck have a mascot?
wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
wblhcky24 wrote:Shattuck will win by at least 5
Unfortunately this is probably true.

Does Shattuck have a mascot?
Ya the sabres
2012 pond hockey All Star
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

Shattuck by like 6. Idk why STA or Shattuck takes these A vs. AAA games. STA's not so good this year, 2-3 against AA teams. This won't be close.
EP two out of three.
deacon

Post by deacon »

Midget or Prep team? Outcome unlikely to change...
High Flyer

Post by High Flyer »

HockeyMN1 wrote:Shattuck by like 6. Idk why STA or Shattuck takes these A vs. AAA games. STA's not so good this year, 2-3 against AA teams. This won't be close.
I think the STA/SSM game will be much closer than people are thinking and is a winnable game for STA.
High Flyer

Post by High Flyer »

deacon wrote:Midget or Prep team? Outcome unlikely to change...
Deacon-Most of the midget AAA team would not even make the STA varsity team, shows how much you know...

Big difference between the prep and midget AAA & AA teams
HShockeywatcher

High Flyer wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:Shattuck by like 6. Idk why STA or Shattuck takes these A vs. AAA games. STA's not so good this year, 2-3 against AA teams. This won't be close.
I think the STA/SSM game will be much closer than people are thinking and is a winnable game for STA.
Just curious why you think this. SSM won 8-2 against a team St Thomas played quite evenly (shots 25-21 for STA). I'd love to watch them win, but it really seems like the odds are against them here.

Anyone know if it's being broadcast anywhere?
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Just to clarify, STA is playing the Prep team which is who Benilde and AHA play every year.
Not a good judge of how a team is. Seems to me that a couple of years ago Benilde beat SSM in Mankato, the next night SSM beat AHA. AHA beat Benilde that year also.
mnjorc

SSM wins 5-2

Post by mnjorc »

I would like to think that STA will win this one, but I know better. I think that minus goaltending STA would actually have a shot. The STA offense is strong although they often play with the puck a bit too much when they just need to put the puck on net and hope for a junk goal. The STA goalies are getting better as the year progresses but are still fairly inexperienced compared to many others out there. If the STA goalies play the way they did against Delbarton then maybe STA has a chance. Shattuck is just a super strong team in every way. It could be a good reality check for STA and may very well help prepare them to go to The Show. Maybe if the MSHSL would add another 10 games for every team in the state then more HS teams in MN could be competitive against the teams like Shattuck and the National Development Team in addition to keeping a few more talented players in state. That is another totally separate topic though. Shattuck has already played more games then are possible for any HS team in MN.
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

High Flyer wrote:
Deacon-Most of the midget AAA team would not even make the STA varsity team, shows how much you know...

I would disagree. They were 4-2-2 against Elite II teams last fall, so they obviously have a bunch of good players. I'd take STA to beat the midget AAA team if they played head to head, but I would say it would be by a 2 or 3 goal spread. That's no disrespect to STA, Shattuck's entire program is just on an entirely different level.

As for this one, i'll take Shattuck Prep 4-1.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

For STA to win this game an incredible number of things will have to go their way. In the fall Elite league Shattuck was as good as anyone. Now they've played and practiced for 2 1/2 months and I'm certain they've improved. After the top six to eight players for STA they simply will not have the horses to play with them. Shattucks depth will grind them down, I just hope it stays competitive.
observer

Post by observer »

Watch and learn. Shattuck plays a style different than any Minnesota High School team. It's possible as their roster, top to bottom, is extremely solid and no Minnesota High School team can claim the same. Their speed and conditioning is relentless. They love to hit and are a little nasty as they pound on one another all week and then love to pound the other team on game day. You will see almost no coasting or less than full effort. They will outwork any and every one and bust axx every shift. Number one factor will be conditioning.
High Flyer

Post by High Flyer »

DubCHAGuy wrote:
High Flyer wrote:

I would disagree. They were 4-2-2 against Elite II teams last fall, so they obviously have a bunch of good players. I'd take STA to beat the midget AAA team if they played head to head, but I would say it would be by a 2 or 3 goal spread. That's no disrespect to STA, Shattuck's entire program is just on an entirely different level.

As for this one, i'll take Shattuck Prep 4-1.
I'll take STA and the under for a bag if mini donuts & a maui waui at the state tournament this year.
High Flyer

Post by High Flyer »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
High Flyer wrote:
Just curious why you think this. SSM won 8-2 against a team St Thomas played quite evenly (shots 25-21 for STA).
I'm not sure I can comment on the SSM/Del. game, as the only thing I know about it was the score and that SSM had 30 SOG. How/why they got those goals, not sure. I just lack a lot of information that would allow be to compare what went into the results.

I was told that a Del. parent made the comment that they were playing a lot better hockey on Sat., than they did on Fri. Anyone know when they flew in?
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

observer wrote:Watch and learn. Shattuck plays a style different than any Minnesota High School team. It's possible as their roster, top to bottom, is extremely solid and no Minnesota High School team can claim the same. Their speed and conditioning is relentless. They love to hit and are a little nasty as they pound on one another all week and then love to pound the other team on game day. You will see almost no coasting or less than full effort. They will outwork any and every one and bust axx every shift. Number one factor will be conditioning.
SSM plays a different style of hockey at their rink then say at AHA or Benilde. Their refs call the game different. SSM is usually very fast and big, play hard and finish every check whether you have the puck or not. They are fun to watch.
itsmorefun

Post by itsmorefun »

Got a question:

How is it that Shattuck, a tier one hockey program in Minnesota, can have so much respect and positive ora from the Minnesota hockey world, but Minnesota Made or Fire Hockey, which is also considered Tier One or AAA, continues to get so much grief from the Minnesota hockey world?

Any insights?
puckster15

Post by puckster15 »

I think it is fair to say that a SSM win for STA is an uphill battle. Regardless, got to give credit to STA coaches in putting together a competitive schedule for a class A team.

Other than HM, conference is usually pretty weak. Yes, Mahtomedi had their number last year.

Win or lose, it will be great competition and the potential for a very good game.
johnnyquest

Post by johnnyquest »

notice the number of games played for each team
puckster15

Post by puckster15 »

Any player that played in Elite league probably has the same number of games under their belt for 2010 - 2011 season.
hockeyrocks

Post by hockeyrocks »

Shattuck should win this one by 4-5 goals.
HShockeywatcher

HShockeywatcher wrote: Anyone know if it's being broadcast anywhere?
High Flyer

Post by High Flyer »

puckster15 wrote:Any player that played in Elite league probably has the same number of games under their belt for 2010 - 2011 season.
I know what your saying puckster15, but it is different because the SSM team has been practicing together 4-5 days a week since Sept. 1, where as the STA team has only been practicing together since mid- Nov.

At this point in the season, the SSM team is just more polished...