Best rink in the state?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

gottago

Post by gottago »

#1 Not sure how a rink being empty or the atmosphere has much to do with the facility itself. Up to the teams to change that. No one has a legit argument against the Little Ralph.
#2 Elliot- Have always respected your analysis so have to ask...How far is your tongue buried back in your cheek? Hallock & Nymore???
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

gottago wrote:#1 Not sure how a rink being empty or the atmosphere has much to do with the facility itself. Up to the teams to change that. No one has a legit argument against the Little Ralph.
#2 Elliot- Have always respected your analysis so have to ask...How far is your tongue buried back in your cheek? Hallock & Nymore???
If your definition of "best" is shiny and new.....then you are probably correct about the Ralph....However, there are many who would define "best" as something different; history, tradition, intimacy, etc.

Have you ever been to the Hippodrome in Eveleth and spent a little time wandering about the lobby? It's basically a museum to the origins of HS hockey in the Iron Range. It also has a beautiful (and intimate) rink with bowl-style seating and nice, large locker rooms. Even the neighborhood location of the old barn blows away the Ralph, which is located at the fairgrounds in TRF on the outskirts of town.

My list has the Hippodrome at the top.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

muckandgrind wrote:If your definition of "best" is shiny and new.....then you are probably correct about the Ralph....However, there are many who would define "best" as something different; history, tradition, intimacy, etc.

Have you ever been to the Hippodrome in Eveleth and spent a little time wandering about the lobby? It's basically a museum to the origins of HS hockey in the Iron Range. It also has a beautiful (and intimate) rink with bowl-style seating and nice, large locker rooms.

I was at the Heritage Arena in Duluth for the first time last year, and I think they did an excellent job in combining the best of "shiny and new" with "history, tradition and intimacy". I enjoyed walking around and viewing all of the old photos and mementos from a bygone era...back when the old Curling Club was the only indoor ice in the whole city and the game was almost entirely played outdoors. They did a great job in capturing that while surrounding it all with a modern structure and facilities.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
muckandgrind wrote:If your definition of "best" is shiny and new.....then you are probably correct about the Ralph....However, there are many who would define "best" as something different; history, tradition, intimacy, etc.

Have you ever been to the Hippodrome in Eveleth and spent a little time wandering about the lobby? It's basically a museum to the origins of HS hockey in the Iron Range. It also has a beautiful (and intimate) rink with bowl-style seating and nice, large locker rooms.

I was at the Heritage Arena in Duluth for the first time last year, and I think they did an excellent job in combining the best of "shiny and new" with "history, tradition and intimacy". I enjoyed walking around and viewing all of the old photos and mementos from a bygone era...back when the old Curling Club was the only indoor ice in the whole city and the game was almost entirely played outdoors. They did a great job in capturing that while surrounding it all with a modern structure and facilities.
Agreed. I forgot about Heritage when I put my list together. The only downer I can think of is where they put Heritage Arena, the area surrounding the rink is lousy. Other than that, they did a great job.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

muckandgrind wrote:
gottago wrote:#1 Not sure how a rink being empty or the atmosphere has much to do with the facility itself. Up to the teams to change that. No one has a legit argument against the Little Ralph.
If your definition of "best" is shiny and new.....then you are probably correct about the Ralph....However, there are many who would define "best" as something different; history, tradition, intimacy, etc.

Have you ever been to the Hippodrome in Eveleth and spent a little time wandering about the lobby? It's basically a museum to the origins of HS hockey in the Iron Range. It also has a beautiful (and intimate) rink with bowl-style seating and nice, large locker rooms. Even the neighborhood location of the old barn blows away the Ralph, which is located at the fairgrounds in TRF on the outskirts of town.

Agreed.
The history and pictures on the wall are unbelievable.
Like a museum of hockey.

Love it!!!!
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Cloquet's is nice. Just had a squirt tourney up there and I was impressed.
MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life »

grew up playing in the BIG. Can't beat the smell of musty ice in the morning.

Honorable mention:
- Richfield
- Braemar
- DECC
- Ridder

**edit: a different post reminded me of the Hermantown rink, best horn in the state!!
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO
AV PUCK 17

Post by AV PUCK 17 »

I forgot about the Colliseum on the state fair grounds. By far the best, simply because of the atmosphere. Always love watching games there!
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

toddy101 wrote:The Ralph is nice if you like empty seating and absolutely no atmosphere.

Guess you've never been there for the 8AA final when it's full, loud and exciting.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

SPUDNUT wrote:
toddy101 wrote:The Ralph is nice if you like empty seating and absolutely no atmosphere.

Guess you've never been there for the 8AA final when it's full, loud and exciting.
I bet your guess holds truth, SPUD. I can't imagine any section final game to be dull...

8)
The Puck
LGW
mj79

Post by mj79 »

Amsoil arena. Duh. Heritage is nice but the seating sucks the view angles suck and there's usually more ppl standing than sitting
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

mj79 wrote:Amsoil arena. Duh. Heritage is nice but the seating sucks the view angles suck and there's usually more ppl standing than sitting
It will be among the best once some historic games are played at that facility. (It will happen) An arena has to have some nostalgic feeling inside; just like it needs a scoreboard and bathrooms.

8)
The Puck
LGW
Orty

Re: Best rink in the state?

Post by Orty »

wblhcky24 wrote:who you guys think has the best rink in the state? lots of traditon out there
That would be my back yard rink. 5 years of tradition already started. Hopefully I can keep the boys on the rink for as long as I can.

Orty
tacoinabag

Post by tacoinabag »

AV PUCK 17 wrote:I forgot about the Colliseum on the state fair grounds. By far the best, simply because of the atmosphere. Always love watching games there!
Atmosphere???? are you serious... when we played there this year our jv team out numbered como parks fan section... its super quite in there.. no atmosphere whats so ever
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

tacoinabag wrote:
AV PUCK 17 wrote:I forgot about the Colliseum on the state fair grounds. By far the best, simply because of the atmosphere. Always love watching games there!
Atmosphere???? are you serious... when we played there this year our jv team out numbered como parks fan section... its super quite in there.. no atmosphere whats so ever
Are YOU serious...

You're talking about a Como Park game... :roll:

Go to the section games instead. Then give us your opinion on the Coliseum.

8)
The Puck
LGW
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

mj79 wrote:Amsoil arena. Duh. Heritage is nice but the seating sucks the view angles suck and there's usually more ppl standing than sitting
...and you think that's a bad thing?

More people standing = better atmosphere.
tacoinabag

Post by tacoinabag »

PuckU126 wrote:
tacoinabag wrote:
Are YOU serious...

8)

i wanna say that any section game with any importance will have good atmosphere with people cheering. There is no history, its a cattle barn
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

tacoinabag wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
tacoinabag wrote: Atmosphere???? are you serious... when we played there this year our jv team out numbered como parks fan section... its super quite in there.. no atmosphere whats so ever
Are YOU serious...

8)

i wanna say that any section game with any importance will have good atmosphere with people cheering. There is no history, its a cattle barn
:roll:

Your ignorance shows on this subject.

Pity, brand new member and you have already lost all credibility...

8)
The Puck
LGW
JohnnyHopkins

Re: Aldrich

Post by JohnnyHopkins »

stpaul wrote:Almost 50 years old, Aldrich remains a great place to watch a game. Ramsey County keeps it up well. However the parking lot plowing job this year is not so good.
AMEN!!!
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

JohnnyHopkins wrote:
stpaul wrote:Almost 50 years old, Aldrich remains a great place to watch a game. Ramsey County keeps it up well. However the parking lot plowing job this year is not so good.
AMEN!!!
I ALWAYS love watching games at Aldrich...
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

starmvp wrote:
JohnnyHopkins wrote:
AMEN!!!
I ALWAYS love watching games at Aldrich...
It's ok; I guess... :wink:

8)
The Puck
LGW
ajj7878

Post by ajj7878 »

ryno44 wrote:Hibbing hands down. Lots of seating.
Cloquet is nice to and Rapids but just not that many seats.
Hibbing has a great rink, i love playing there. i dont like cloquet and rapids that much though. cloquet is too cold and i just didnt like playing in rapids.
duluth denfeld's rink "the heritage" is amazing.
Video Guy

Post by Video Guy »

Well, I will throw in my votes but its solely based on filming a game and where I have been.

The X
Ridder
Aldrich = Breamar just get there hour and half before.
BIG....only to watch and playoff atmosphere. The filming is bad. They have different colored temperature lighting.
Shattuck
Plymouth
PIG Parade Ice Garden
MAC
Hutch = Northfield
Pagel
Victoria
Litchfield
Waconia
Hatrick Now they tore down the press box
Twin Cities Video & DVD, Inc. Sport Video Coverage
hockeyma

Post by hockeyma »

starmvp wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:Richfield cool place.[main rink]
Always love watching games at Richfield....
MNHockey_6 wrote:I'm kind of surprised no one out there thinks the Ralph Engalstad Arena in Thief River Falls is up there.
As far as Bemidji's new rink I have only seen it once but I liked it alot, but you also have to keep in mind it was built for college hockey not highschool.
The Ralph in Thief River Falls is awesome! As for Bemidji's new complex, it impresses me but doesn't exceed my expectations by any means.

Get a tour of the "rest" of the building -- the part that the general public does not see -- the locker rooms, the weight room, the equipment room, the hallways, the technology..... then you will be impressed.... :)
Govie

Post by Govie »

Soooooooooo many legendary games played at Aldrich, it has to be mentioned. Also, nothing like playing at the Fairgrounds Coliseum. Too many classic section finals played there as well!