National Anthem

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

eastside hockey

National Anthem

Post by eastside hockey »

I have seen what I think has been the best Anthem at the same rink I have seen the worst. If anyone has come to a Woodbury home game in the recent past, there is a Blind student who was singing the anthem before all home games. Nowhere else have I seen it better. I have not seen him at the games this year, which is very dissapointing.

At one of the games this year a band member did a solo rendition on french horn. I hope I never hear it done like that again. Any thoughts or different experiences? Greatest, or worst?
On any given night!
observer

Post by observer »

How come no one sings?
blueblood

Singing

Post by blueblood »

We had a referee sing at a hs game this year when the recording didn't work from the press box. It was awesome.

The players went over to the ref after he finished and shaked his hand.
Play Like a Champion Today
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

I once saw a player sing the national anthem, it was great
Playoff Beard

Post by Playoff Beard »

The absolute worst is at Johnson, because they do the Philadelphia Flyers' bit of playing Kate Smith's version of "God Bless America" instead of the anthem, and it feels like it's about a half hour long. You listen to it and it sounds like it's going to end about 3 different times, but just when you think it's over, she starts warbling again. Players have left the blue line thinking it was done, then had to scramble back in line and wait until it's over. It's rough.

This is the version they play. You'll see what I mean when I say it feels like it's over about 3 times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r26_CSzk3Xw
power92

Post by power92 »

LOL. Been there, they seem to be playing the shorter 1 verse version now. But it is definitley cut off before its over.
Playoff Beard wrote:The absolute worst is at Johnson, because they do the Philadelphia Flyers' bit of playing Kate Smith's version of "God Bless America" instead of the anthem, and it feels like it's about a half hour long. You listen to it and it sounds like it's going to end about 3 different times, but just when you think it's over, she starts warbling again. Players have left the blue line thinking it was done, then had to scramble back in line and wait until it's over. It's rough.

This is the version they play. You'll see what I mean when I say it feels like it's over about 3 times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r26_CSzk3Xw
....Can't thank you enough for the time.
eastside hockey

Re: Singing

blueblood wrote:We had a referee sing at a hs game this year when the recording didn't work from the press box. It was awesome.

The players went over to the ref after he finished and shaked his hand.
That is awesome! It would have been a sight to see. a Ref stepping up to get it done! With haveing 20 Years of military service, i tend to pay attention to how well the National anthem is produced as well as recieved by the fans. In the past a lot of students would be horse playing during the anthem or not even remove there hat. Its nice to see other's interested in the time honored tradition of our anthem. :D
On any given night!
HMHockey943

Post by HMHockey943 »

Stillwater has a 10th grader that is very impressive.
standout4thlinejver

Post by standout4thlinejver »

.........and please, take your hats off as a sign of respect to those who have or are serving our country!
SPUDNUT

Re: Singing

Post by SPUDNUT »

blueblood wrote:The players went over to the ref after he finished and shaked his hand.

I bet they shook his hand -
hockeydad99

Post by hockeydad99 »

Bemidji Sophomore, Mariah Moen has sang it a couple of times. A beautiful voice that sent chills down my spine. Way to go, Mariah!!
Lumberjack

Post by Lumberjack »

standout4thlinejver wrote:.........and please, take your hats off as a sign of respect to those who have or are serving our country!
agreed. i also am not a fan of chatter during the anthem, or when teams are not standing at attention during the song. at Cloquet, coaches taught us to respect the flag and what it stands for. Ever notice how long the Jacks stand at attention AFTER the anthem is over?
wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 »

Lumberjack wrote:
standout4thlinejver wrote:.........and please, take your hats off as a sign of respect to those who have or are serving our country!
agreed. i also am not a fan of chatter during the anthem, or when teams are not standing at attention during the song. at Cloquet, coaches taught us to respect the flag and what it stands for. Ever notice how long the Jacks stand at attention AFTER the anthem is over?
Everybody does this, it's called a standoff and I would say that it has about as much to do with patriotism as the 3 periods of hockey they play after it.
Always celly hard.
Lumberjack

Post by Lumberjack »

wblhockeyfan8 wrote:
Lumberjack wrote:
Everybody does this, it's called a standoff and I would say that it has about as much to do with patriotism as the 3 periods of hockey they play after it.
I've noticed plenty of teams who don't do this. I would say the teams which do are in the minority. I was just at a contest this weekend where each team was skating off the line before the anthem even ended.
wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 »

Lumberjack wrote:
wblhockeyfan8 wrote:
Lumberjack wrote: agreed. i also am not a fan of chatter during the anthem, or when teams are not standing at attention during the song. at Cloquet, coaches taught us to respect the flag and what it stands for. Ever notice how long the Jacks stand at attention AFTER the anthem is over?
I've noticed plenty of teams who don't do this. I would say the teams which do are in the minority. I was just at a contest this weekend where each team was skating off the line before the anthem even ended.
Some people just don't understand intimidation. I say we start going from school to school teaching teams to do this. You can work the patriotic angle, I'll go for the mind-game aspect.

Fans will thank us when every game has the really awesome, ridiculously lengthy stand-off.
Always celly hard.
eastside hockey

Another first tonight!!!!!!

At the start of the game the announcer at The Woodbury/ Stillwater game at Bielenburg Arena had every one rise and face the flag to no avail. The audio of the anthem wasnt working and it was announced they we would have to make due without the anthem for the evening. After a short boo from the Stillwater student section, the students started singing the National Anthem from the stands. This led to the entire crowd joining in and completing the anthem from the stands. The announcer thanked the fans for bailing him out and the game was played.

I guess there is hope for the future! =D> =D> =D> =D>

It was great to see this being started by a student section. Way to go Stillwater!!!!!
On any given night!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

A "ray of hope" for sure. Would make for a good YouTube if anyone got it on video.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Benilde did it best years ago (still might, haven't been to a game recently).

Helmet under left arm, stick straight out in front, eyes on the flag, no movement until the song is over.
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Up in Duluth Icebreaker tournament a few weeks ago, they had both teams of girls come over to the scorebox and sing it together in one of our 3 games. A few giggles at first, but then a very nice job of taking it seriously and doing their best. First time I've seen that. And the crowd sang louder than usual, too.
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

Buffalo girls varsity game against Hopkins this year at Buffalo; the National Anthem cut out after about 15 seconds so the crowd finished it. Pretty comical and fun to be able to partake in!