Section 2A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who has the best chance of upsetting either Blake or Breck?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:46 pm

Providence
29%
Delano
29%
Orono
14%
Holy Family
29%

Total votes: 7

tigerguy87

Section 2A

Post by tigerguy87 »

As stated in the rankings post this week for Class A, Section 2A is a mess. You have the two private school power houses with Breck and Blake at the the top, but you have teams like Delano, Orono, Providence, Holy Family, or Mound that could knock someone out of the section final race. What do you guys think about it this year?
Girardo

Post by Girardo »

Section 2A is a powerhouse A section. All the teams you mentioned could pull off upsets.

Well right now as it stands we have.

Breck (9-6-0) - Scoring leader Junior Andrle has 38 points in 15 games and Jr. Opperman has 32. Breck has played two types of games. 1. Where they blow out the opponent because their opponent is much weaker or 2. Where they lose by close margins to better teams (Exception to the "close score" is Hill-Murray, 8-0 loss). Game against Blake tonight.

Blake (13-2-2) - Led by Ordway and Bullock, this team is really impressive. Beating Delano (3-2) and Providence (5-1) and only losing to Tonka by 2 (3-5). They play Breck tonight.

Delano/Rockford (13-4-1) - Led by the state leader in points Tyler Heinonen (61 points?!?!?!) and his side kick Mclain (51 points), this team is becoming a favorite in the section as they beat Holy Family (5-1), Mound (4-1) and Orono (3-1)

Orono (9-6-1) - Leading scorer Luedtke has 33 points in 16 games. Orono is probably better than Providence, recently lost to Hopkins (3-5) and Delano (1-3) but then crushing Litchfield (7-0) and handling Holy Family (5-2)

Providence Academy (13-4-0) - Tapani has 34 points in 17 games. This team's record is up there with the leaders in the section, but the strength of schedule is a lot weaker. Although, they are blowing out the weaker teams, I still don't expect them to upset Blake or Breck. (Notable victory over Holy Family 3-2)

Holy Family Catholic (7-9-0) - Playmaker Riesgraf has 27 assists in 16 games while 8th grader Shane Gersich has 22 points in his first 15 games of high school hockey. Holy Family has 3 straight wins against Mound (3-2), Hutchinson (4-3) and Waconia (10-3) followed by 3 straight losses against Orono (2-5), Litchfield (1-2) and Delano (1-5).

Mound-Westonka (7-7-2) - Lost to Holy Family (2-3) and Delano (1-4) recently, but has two wins in a row against Hutchinson (3-2) and Waconia (7-1)

Chaska (4-11-2) - After having a rough start without their star, Jack Storo is back and leading a slight Chaska recovery with 17 points in last 8 games while Drees has 22 points in 14 total games. After losses to Farmington (5-8 ), Holy Angels (2-7) and Hopkins (3-9) they have won the last three games against Shakopee (4-1), Northfield (2-1) and New Ulm (7-6).

Richfield (6-9-1) - Dhein, 35 points Martinez, 27 points lead the team. Last win was on Jan. 6th against Legacy Christian (2-1). Have gone 0-4-1 against non-noteworthy teams since.

Waconia (5-11-1) - Sophomore Mattson has 22 goals in 17 games. Waconia has gone 1-9 in the past ten games, only beating Mankato East. That's the team with like 5 people on it right? right.

St Louis Park (1-15) - Enough said. Notable achievements, lost to Hopkins by three and crushed Irondale (9-2...what?)

I tried my best to compare schedules, victories and strengths while researching the top players to form this list. Let us know if you disagree.
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

The only way one of these teams wins the section is if somehow Breck and Blake aren't the #1 and #2 seeds and therefore have to play each other before the title game. One of these teams may be able to pull off a one game upset this year as Breck is clearly down from the last couple of years and Blake while very good, doens't appear to be unbeatable. But if a team has to beat both of these teams to get to the X, I think that is highly unlikely. So in my opinion, it all comes down to the seedings.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Goldy23 wrote:The only way one of these teams wins the section is if somehow Breck and Blake aren't the #1 and #2 seeds and therefore have to play each other before the title game. One of these teams may be able to pull off a one game upset this year as Breck is clearly down from the last couple of years and Blake while very good, doens't appear to be unbeatable. But if a team has to beat both of these teams to get to the X, I think that is highly unlikely. So in my opinion, it all comes down to the seedings.
Yeah, and the only team with a shot of making top 2 right now, imo, is Providence, if they beat both Breck and Blake in their second meetings.

If someone other than Breck/Blake make state, should they be ranked simply for who they had to beat to get there?
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Goldy23 wrote:The only way one of these teams wins the section is if somehow Breck and Blake aren't the #1 and #2 seeds and therefore have to play each other before the title game. One of these teams may be able to pull off a one game upset this year as Breck is clearly down from the last couple of years and Blake while very good, doens't appear to be unbeatable. But if a team has to beat both of these teams to get to the X, I think that is highly unlikely. So in my opinion, it all comes down to the seedings.
Yeah, and the only team with a shot of making top 2 right now, imo, is Providence, if they beat both Breck and Blake in their second meetings.

If someone other than Breck/Blake make state, should they be ranked simply for who they had to beat to get there?
Anything can happen..Spring Lake Park could get hot! :oops: :lol:
tigerguy87

Post by tigerguy87 »

Things are starting to stir up in Section 2A:

Blake (17-2-2): Playing very solid, no worries that they should get the 1st seed (I assume)

Breck (13-8-1): Had some tough games, but their goalies are not really playing as wells as some may thought there were going to. We will see what seed they end up with. Probably 2nd.

Delano (15-6-1): I don't understand the Wright County, beat Orono twice, lost to St. Cloud Cathedral twice, and a loss to Mound Westonka? 13 is a good player but I don't know what to expect with there seeding in sections, 3, 4 I am guessing.

Providence (15-5-1): Not playing bad, but could be playing better. A 4th or 5th seed would be in hand for them I would think.

Orono (14-7-1): Playing solid hockey, beating Litchfield both time (7-0 and 5-1) and playing Delano tough. Beating and tieing to team that Delano lost to (Mound Westonka and St. Cloud Cathedral) Not sure what to expect. It looks like if they win out they will be the Wright County Conference Champs, could that get them a 3 seed in sections?

Holy Family (10-9-1): Beating St. Clould Cathedral helps a lot. Playing well, could be a sleeper.

Mound Westonka (9-9-3): Beating Delano helps them a lot, could be a sleeper in the section.
Yakunin

Post by Yakunin »

This section is turning into a mess. Teams are moving up and down each week. Seeding will be very difficult. Wright county conference is up for grabs after St. cloud.
Yakunin

Post by Yakunin »

When are the seedings for 2a? Thoughts on team seedings for this section
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Yakunin wrote:When are the seedings for 2a? Thoughts on team seedings for this section
This section is going to be a close one and a fun one to watch....
KICKED-IN-THE-PRIVATES

Post by KICKED-IN-THE-PRIVATES »

[quote="Girardo"]Section 2A is a powerhouse A section. All the teams you mentioned could pull off upsets.

Breck (9-6-0) - Scoring leader Junior Andrle has 38 points in 15 games and Jr. Opperman has 32. Breck has played two types of games. 1. Where they blow out the opponent because their opponent is much weaker or 2. Where they lose by close margins to better teams (Exception to the "close score" is Hill-Murray, 8-0 loss). Game against Blake tonight.

Blake (13-2-2) - Led by Ordway and Bullock, this team is really impressive. Beating Delano (3-2) and Providence (5-1) and only losing to Tonka by 2 (3-5). They play Breck tonight.

Delano/Rockford (13-4-1) - Led by the state leader in points Tyler Heinonen (61 points?!?!?!) and his side kick Mclain (51 points), this team is becoming a favorite in the section as they beat Holy Family (5-1), Mound (4-1) and Orono (3-1)

quote]

This is not a powerhouse "A" section. It's a very good section with the Private B/B boys but after that is very, very average... The #3 team on your list just lost to Litch at home????? I would put 7A, 5A, 4A, 8A all in front.....
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

KICKED-IN-THE-PRIVATES wrote:
Girardo wrote:Section 2A is a powerhouse A section. All the teams you mentioned could pull off upsets.

quote]

This is not a powerhouse "A" section. It's a very good section with the Private B/B boys but after that is very, very average... The #3 team on your list just lost to Litch at home????? I would put 7A, 5A, 4A, 8A all in front.....
I was at that Delano/Litch game. I don't think I've ever seen that many Fin's in one building... Apparently they were calling it the "Finnish Superbowl". It was definitely the most packed I've seen Delano's arena.

I'd still have 2A as the section to beat though. Every team has their bad day.
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

Anyone have a clue when the section seedings come out!? ](*,)
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

fivehole628 wrote:Anyone have a clue when the section seedings come out!? ](*,)
Tomorrow
WoodStickSniper

seeding

Post by WoodStickSniper »

Seeding in Blake #1 Breck #2
fivehole628

Re: seeding

Post by fivehole628 »

Seedings:

1- Blake
2- Breck
3- Delano
4- Orono
5- Providence Academy
6- Holy Family
7- Mound-Westonka
8- Chaska
9- Richfield
10- Waconia
11- St. Louis Park

Predictions?
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

This one will be interesting. My first gut pick is Blake in a close one over Breck but I wouldn't overlook Delano. Anyone could come out of this one. Chaska beat Holy Angels, Holy Angels beat Blake 7-0.....
Girardo

Post by Girardo »

First Round
Blake vs Richfield
Breck vs Mound
Delano vs Holy Family
Orono vs Providence

Second Round

Richfield vs Providence
Breck vs Delano

Championship

Richfield vs Breck

Champion

Richfield
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Girardo wrote:First Round
Blake vs Richfield
Breck vs Mound
Delano vs Holy Family
Orono vs Providence

Second Round

Richfield vs Providence
Breck vs Delano

Championship

Richfield vs Breck

Champion

Richfield
That would be quite the upset, Richfield over Blake
hockeyguy09

Post by hockeyguy09 »

Girardo wrote:First Round
Blake vs Richfield
Breck vs Mound
Delano vs Holy Family
Orono vs Providence

Second Round

Richfield vs Providence
Breck vs Delano

Championship

Richfield vs Breck

Champion

Richfield
Well gee, i wonder if someone is a Richfield fan...
~The Man~
WoodStickSniper

Richfield

Post by WoodStickSniper »

Well girardo i like your prediction with the Richfield underdog upset...but they lost 7 2 to chaska in the play in round
they just dont have the depth sorry maybe next year though haha
hockeyguy09

Post by hockeyguy09 »

orono throttled providence 9-3 tonight. did anyone see that coming?
~The Man~
forumadmin

Post by forumadmin »

i saw providence play this year a couple months ago. They play pretty dirty. I think if i remember right, 2 kids got ejected from the game. but hey...you live and you learn!
hockey84

Post by hockey84 »

Orono looked really good tonight they dominated Providence. The Orono vs. I'm assuming Blake game should be a really good one since Blake never came close to putting up that many on Providence. After seeing them play tonight, Orono definitely has a shot at making a run at the championship.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Close one between Breck and Delano right now
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

starmvp wrote:Close one between Breck and Delano right now
4 Delano
3 Breck

After 2

Crazy!