Class A Rankings 1-30-11

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Should all sections have the same number of neurtal site games?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:23 am

Yes, they should all be the same
38%
No, I'm fine with each section doing it their own way
63%

Total votes: 32

HShockeywatcher

Class A Rankings 1-30-11

Post by HShockeywatcher »

There are still a handful of teams that are difficult to assess, they could be a top 10 team, or they could be off this list, many teams have low quality schedules. Some of these will be figured out during this week. My thought right now is to shorten the rankings over the next two and three weeks down to the 12-15 range in preparation for state as many teams will show us to not be able to compete on the state level.

1. [1] St Thomas Academy (11-5)
Losing to the team most think is the best in the state by 1 away is a positive. Now their 4 losses to AA teams are by a total of 5 goals, two in OT. Two section opponents this week, both should be great games. Totino beat Breck by more than St Thomas did and the Packers lost to the Cadets by 2 in Mendota Heights the first time around.
This week: Tues vs Totino-Grade, Thurs vs Henry Sibley, Sat @ South St Paul

2. [3] Blake (16-2-1)
Blake is a team that has shown they can play, but will only be tested once more playing Breck before sections. I’m guessing seeding will be in by then so they have probably wrapped up the top seed in the section. Beating TRF 5-1, who tied Hermantown, should get them a top 2 seed at state.
This week: Tues vs St Paul Academy, Sat @ Minnehaha Academy

3. [5] Totino-Grace (14-3)
Beating Breck this week shows the Eagles are a top 3 team, and this week they will play for the #1 seed in section 4A.
This week: Tues @ St Thomas Academy, Thurs @ St Louis Park

4. [2] Breck (10-7)
Of the 7 losses, one is to Delbarton, 3 are to AA teams and the other 3 are to the 3 Class A teams ranked above them. Without losing to anyone else, I cannot drop the two time defending champs any farther. The Mustangs have three away games this week, two may be challenges for them.
This week: Tues @ Providence Academy, Thurs @ St Paul Johnson, Sat @ Rochester Lourdes

5. [4] Hermantown (17-1-1)
The Hawks have fallen victim to their schedule the last two weeks. It would be crazy to see them get to state 22-2-1 and not be a top 2 seed, but that looks to be what will happen if they can get through this week with 1 loss or less.
This week: Tues @ Eden Prairie, Thurs vs Cloquet, Sat vs Monticello

6. [7] Duluth Marshall (13-7-1)
Beating TRF, a team who tied Hermantown, slides the Toppers right below the Hawks. Beating two teams Central lost to this weekend gives Marshall the upper hand for the match up at Mars this week, but should be a great game.
This week: Thurs vs Duluth Central

7. [8] Thief River Falls (12-6-1)
The Prowlers control their own destiny in their section and with their tie to Hermantown and close games with Totino and Marshall are probably a team that can play with anyone.
This week: Tues @ Lake of the Woods, Fri @ Crookston

8. [6] South St. Paul (12-6)
The losses to Prior Lake and now North St Paul are hard to comprehend, but they lost to both St Thomas and Hill by 2, both away games and beat Spring Lake Park by a competitive margin. They will likely finish the season with two more losses and get a seed of either 2 or 3 depending on the result of their game with St Thomas and the Cadets’ game with Totino.
This week: Tues vs Rochester John Marshall, Thurs vs Tartan, Sat vs St Thomas Academy

9. [9] Chisago Lakes Area (15-3)
I received negative remarks for having the Wildcats high last week and they are continuing to benefit from teams around them losing. Hopefully for them they can keep their game with Totino close next week. A win could get them a top 3 seed in the section.
This week: Tues @ Benilde, Sat vs St Francis

10. [13] Warroad (13-7)
The Warriors look to regain a top 2 rank in the section and possibly move up with two wins this week. Beating Central is good, but being shut out by Marshall at home isn’t great.
This week: Tues @ Roseau, Sat vs East Grand Forks

11. [12] Duluth Central (10-10)
A .500 team high up because of their recent win over Hibbing and a close loss in Warroad this weekend. The Trojans have two quality opponents this week.
This week: Tues vs Cloquet, Thurs @ Duluth Marshall

12. [10] Hibbing/Chisholm (12-6-1)
The Bluejackets fall during a week they were idle due to Central’s rank. Tying Marshall is good for seeding, but losing to Central complicates things for the section.
This week: Mon @ Proctor, Thurs @ International Falls

13. [14] Mahtomedi (8-11-1)
The Zephyrs are now unable to finish the season above .500 and to achieve .500 will need to beat St Thomas and Hill Murray. They have played 13 of their last 14 games away. All their losses are to teams ranked above them and Tartan/Hill.
This week: Wed vs North St Paul, Sat vs Henry Sibley

14. [15] Virginia/MI-B (15-6)
The Blue Devils are right below a Mahtomedi team who beat them earlier this season. I question the loss to International Falls but the 1 goal loss in Hibbing is a good sign. Their last 4 games are quality games that should prepare them well for sections.
This week: Tues vs Grand Rapids, Sat vs Sartell-St Stephen

15. [-] Rogers (11-6-1)
Since the new year, the Royals are 8-1 with their 1 loss to Maple Grove. They are falling up the rankings slowly because of others losing, which they could continue to do a little bit the rest of the way.
This week: Thurs @ Buffalo, Sat vs Proctor

16. [16] Rochester Lourdes (17-2)
I haven’t been a fan of what the Eagles have been doing with their opponents all season and their games this week were no different. We’ll see how they do hosting Breck this week.
This week: Tues vs Monticello, Sat vs Breck

17. [18] Delano (14-4-1)
If the Tigers can beat Orono again, they should be looking at a #3 seed in 2A pending a Providence Academy upset.
This week: Tues @ Orono, Thurs vs St Cloud Cathedral

18. [19] Orono (11-6-1)
Winning at home this Tuesday give the Spartans an opportunity to control their own destiny in the WCC.
This week: Tues vs Delano, Thurs @ Waconia, Sat @ Owatonna

19. [-] Sartell-St. Stephen (11-6-1)
Beating the Flyers recently by a great margin mixes things up in 6A. A game this week in Virginia will tell a good amount about both teams.
This week: Tues vs Fergus Falls, Thurs vs St Cloud Tech, Sat @ Virginia

20. [11] Little Falls (14-3-2)
Losing 2 of 4 is never good with their schedule; the Flyers can only go down. They are not a team I would be surprised to see playing at the X in March, but they’ll need to figure out what’s been going wrong recently.
This week: Tues vs Alexandria, Thurs vs Sauk Rapids-Rice, Sat @ Detroit Lakes

21. [21] East Grand Forks (8-11)
With their early win over the Warriors, the Green Wave could still get the #2 seed in their section, a lot will be found out this week.
This week: Tues vs Crookston, Sat @ Warroad

22. [17] St. Cloud Cathedral (10-7-1)
They have kept it close with some good teams, but losing to Holy Family and a struggling Little Falls team isn't good.
This week: Thurs @ Delano, Sat @ Mound-Westonka

23. [-] Proctor (11-6-1)
Two huge games this week. The Rails could be a top 10 team, but their schedule makes it hard to tell. If they don’t lose this week, they may up more than 10 spots higher next week.
This week: Mon vs Hibbing, Fri @ St Michael-Albertville, Sat @ Rogers

24. [-]Lake of the Woods (11-5-1)
With a low quality schedule, the quality of the Bears is difficult to assess, especially with the loss to St Paul Johnson. Tuesday’s game this week will help me decide if they should be kept around for next week or not.
This week: Tues vs Thief River Falls, Thurs @ Kittson Central, Sat vs Silver Bay

25. [-] International Falls (8-9-1)
Were the early losses a direct result of the suspended players not playing? Their only losses this calendar year have been to Hermantown by 2 and Rapids by 5 and they did beat Virginia. Playing Hibbing at home this week should paint a better picture.
This week: Tues vs Two Harbors, Thurs vs Hibbing, Fri vs Silver Bay

Section Seedings

1A
Rochecter Lourdes (17-2)
Mankato West (13-5-2)
Albert Lea (1-6)
Red Wing (6-13)
No changes from last week:“Lourdes beat West by 1 and shut out Albert Lea, West beat Albert Lea by 1, and Red Wing lost to Lourdes in OT and Albert Lea by 1. There should be some really great hockey come sections.”

2A
Blake (16-2-1)
Delano (14-4-1)
Breck (10-7)
Providence Academy (13-4-1)
Orono (11-6-1)
I would say that Delano slides above Breck by losing to Blake by less, although I don’t know that the coaches will see it that way. I fault teams equally for not scheduling each other. How do you compare Orono and Providence Academy? Not very well. Orono could beat Delano to change things up.

3A
Litchfield (11-6-1)
New Ulm (12-4-2)
Hutchinson (7-11)
Marshall (12-4-2)
Ditto from last week: “Litchfield gets the nod now with their win over New Ulm, but anyone could come out of this section with the games being so close.”

4A
St Thomas (11-5)
South St Paul (12-6)
Totino-Grace (14-3)
Chisago Lakes Area (152-3)
Mahtomedi (8-11-1)
The #2 spot will be made easier to determine with TG and STA playing this week. With all games at a neutral venue, it won’t matter much. I suspect Totino is the only team aside from St Thomas who could get the top seed in this section.

5A
Hermantown (17-1-1)
Rogers (8-6-1)
St Cloud Cathedral (8-6-1)
Proctor (11-6-1)
Proctor and Rogers play this week. With Proctor and Cathedral not playing, the game this week will have a lot to do with the top 4 seeds. With the first neutral game being the section final, seeding will be a huge advantage in this section.

6A
Sartell-St Stephen (11-6-1)
Wilmar (10-6-3)
Little Falls (13-4-2)
Fergus Falls (8-6-3)
Detroit Lakes (9-8 )
How are people looking at Wilmar? Losing to Hutchinson may not have much bearing on seeding; the early loss to Sartell puts them in the #2 spot for me. Sartell should be in control of their own destiny with seeding here.

7A
Duluth Marshall (13-7-1)
Duluth Central (10-10)
Hibbing (12-6-1)
International Falls (8-9-1)
Virginia (15-6)
Virginia still play Marshall and Hibbing again and International Falls still plays Hibbing. A lot could change by sections.

8A
Thief River Falls (12-6-1)
East Grand Forks (8-11)
Warroad (13-7)
Crookston (9-10-1)
Lake of the Woods (11-5-2)
This section is still up in the air. TRF wins out and they are the #1, while there is really no team that could not get at least the #2 seed by winning out.

State Seeding if Section Top Seeds Won Their Section Today
#1 St Thomas
#2 Blake
#3 Hermantown
#4 Duluth Marshall
[5] Thief River Falls
[6] Rochester Lourdes
[7] Sartell-St Stephen
[8] Litchfield
Last edited by HShockeywatcher on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Lourdes at 17-2 should be higher, probably 5-8. Their schedule hasn't been tough but neither has almost everyone else's, in fact it's better thant Totino's and in the ball park with Hermantown, Blake, Hibbing, Virginia, etc. Because their margin of victory isn't as high as you would expect they're penalized but the games aren't as close as the score usually indicates however, it's Lourdes lack of scoring that keeps these games close.
shins

Post by shins »

Little Falls should drop in the polls, but to be fair, after losing to Sartell (with their starting goalie benched), they beat Fergus 3-0 in FF and BEAT Cathedral 3-2 last night in OT
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

This is ratings, not rankings. #-o

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
defense

Post by defense »

Mite-dad wrote:Little Falls has NOT lost 3 of 4, and they BEAT St. Cloud Cathedral. Not that their ranking is necessarily wrong, but you need to get accurate scores somewhere.
Interesting. Sartell is now ranked again. I'd probly consider Willmar to be up their at some point as well.
HShockeywatcher

Mite-dad wrote:Little Falls has NOT lost 3 of 4, and they BEAT St. Cloud Cathedral. Not that their ranking is necessarily wrong, but you need to get accurate scores somewhere.
Minnesota-scores has the most ranking-friendly website and occasionally gets info wrong. Most has been corrected. I like it as much as all of you. I will swap the two of LF and SCC.
goldy313 wrote:Lourdes at 17-2 should be higher, probably 5-8. Their schedule hasn't been tough but neither has almost everyone else's, in fact it's better thant Totino's and in the ball park with Hermantown, Blake, Hibbing, Virginia, etc. Because their margin of victory isn't as high as you would expect they're penalized but the games aren't as close as the score usually indicates however, it's Lourdes lack of scoring that keeps these games close.
I disagree, which is why I have them where they are. They have PLAYED only three teams on my list. Lost to Marshall by 4, beat SCC in OT and beat Delano 5-1. Totino, for example, has been in 3 games won by a margin of 2 goals or less, and two were against good competition. They beat a Marshall team, by 3, that Lourdes lost to by 4. Sure, they could've allowed less goals in a few occasions, but for the most part, they handled their competition. Hermantown's close games were against teams I have ranked. They are ahead of the teams they beat; if they keep it close with Breck, they'll go up. I only have the games they play to go off and they aren't keeping games that should be close close. Probably any team on my top 10 would be winning most of their games with better margins.
defense

Post by defense »

Section 6:

1-Little Falls lost to Sartell for second loss to section team, held up by beating Fergus Falls.
2-Sartell Only loss in section 6 is to Little Fallls. Beat FF, LF once, tied and beat Willmar.
3-Willmar It will be interesting where Willmar ends up. They did nothing for themselves early, then proved that they could well win the section. Considering they didn't beat Sartell, this seems right.
4-Fergus Falls Only because they are playing tough. Technically they haven't beaten Sartell, Alex, LF, or Willmar. But their season is going better than Alex's.
5-Alexandria Still possible have a playoff game in the runestone with games left against FF, Sartell, LF.
6-Detroit Lakes 11-8 with their schedule. Lost to FF, lost to Willmar, beat Apollo and Wadena. Little Falls coming up. The Lakers can't really help themselves anymore.

Little Falls has likely locked up #1 when they beat FF. Sartell has an edge to end up #2. Fergus Falls has games against Alex, Sartell, and Willmar left to try and gain ground. 2,3,and4 will get decided in at the end of the season likely. Alex still could get a 4 seed. Detroit Lakes only hope is the fact that the coaches vote on the seeds.
Power Rankings:
Sartell
Little Falls
Willmar
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

Nice job HSHW. IMO, Lourdes could move up a couple spots, and Breck down a few (at least below Marshall and Hermantown). Breck has only lost to good teams, but they also haven't beat anyone. Their signature win is over Mahtomedi the first game of the year, and they appear to be going the wrong direction.

Section 8A is just a mess. Going to be a great section tournament.
cooperalls4ever

Post by cooperalls4ever »

4. [2] Breck (10-7)
Of the 7 losses, one is to Delbarton, 3 are to AA teams and the other 3 are to the 3 Class A teams ranked above them. Without losing to anyone else, I cannot drop the two time defending champs any farther

Without a win against a top 10 team? and one win over your #13 Mahtomedi (who won't even finish with a .500 record)...How can they even be in the top 10 or top15? Who HAVE they beat? Talk about padding those few wins against extremely weak competition (and playing those weak teams TWICE each?). Last year was last yr.

...Just Saying
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

cooperalls4ever wrote:4. [2] Breck (10-7)
Of the 7 losses, one is to Delbarton, 3 are to AA teams and the other 3 are to the 3 Class A teams ranked above them. Without losing to anyone else, I cannot drop the two time defending champs any farther

Without a win against a top 10 team? and one win over your #13 Mahtomedi (who won't even finish with a .500 record)...How can they even be in the top 10 or top15? Who HAVE they beat? Talk about padding those few wins against extremely weak competition (and playing those weak teams TWICE each?). Last year was last yr.

...Just Saying
Valid point. But I wouldn't place them lower than the #6 spot. Tough schedule and it shows. They played some of those losses close (top teams); however, their wins are are against opponents who are not the strongest. Lets see how they do against Providence and Lourdes; must wins IMO.
The Puck
LGW
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

defense wrote:Section 6:

1-Little Falls lost to Sartell for second loss to section team, held up by beating Fergus Falls.
2-Sartell Only loss in section 6 is to Little Fallls. Beat FF, LF once, tied and beat Willmar.
3-Willmar It will be interesting where Willmar ends up. They did nothing for themselves early, then proved that they could well win the section. Considering they didn't beat Sartell, this seems right.
4-Fergus Falls Only because they are playing tough. Technically they haven't beaten Sartell, Alex, LF, or Willmar. But their season is going better than Alex's.
5-Alexandria Still possible have a playoff game in the runestone with games left against FF, Sartell, LF.
6-Detroit Lakes 11-8 with their schedule. Lost to FF, lost to Willmar, beat Apollo and Wadena. Little Falls coming up. The Lakers can't really help themselves anymore.

Little Falls has likely locked up #1 when they beat FF. Sartell has an edge to end up #2. Fergus Falls has games against Alex, Sartell, and Willmar left to try and gain ground. 2,3,and4 will get decided in at the end of the season likely. Alex still could get a 4 seed. Detroit Lakes only hope is the fact that the coaches vote on the seeds.
Power Rankings:
Sartell
Little Falls
Willmar
Curious why you wouldn't put Sartell above LF??? I'm a Flyers fan, but I think I'd seed Sartell above LF at this point.
fivehole628

Re: Class A Rankings 1-30-11

Post by fivehole628 »

My Opinion.

1. St. Thomas Academy
2. Blake
3. Totino-Grace
4. Hermantown
5. Hibbing/Chisholm
6. Duluth Marshall
7. Thief River Falls
8. Rochester Lourdes
9. Warroad
10. Breck
11. South St. Paul
12. Delano
13. Duluth Central
14. Virginia/MI-B
15. Rogers
16. Lake of the Woods
17. Sartell-St. Stephen
18. Little Falls
19. St. Cloud Cathedral
20. Wilmar

Honorable Mention: Providence Academy, Chisago Lakes, Proctor
shins

Post by shins »

Mite-dad wrote:Curious why you wouldn't put Sartell above LF??? I'm a Flyers fan, but I think I'd seed Sartell above LF at this point.
I would probably put Sartell ahead of LF based solely on section games.... I still feel that LF is a better (slightly) team based on comparative scores -- LF beat both Brainerd and Tech while Sartell was blown out by both, but those games do not really affect section seeding.

I think Sartell, LF, Willmar and possibly Alex or Fergus could win this thing. I don't see a whole lot of separation between them (and I don't know much about Detroit Lakes)
mitchrapp

Post by mitchrapp »

You have Marshall as the #1 seed in 7A - What happened a week ago when they were up 6-5 after 2 periods over a horrible Eveleth team and escaped with a 8-5 win? Everyone has a stinker now and then but against Eveleth?? They were down 3-0 and 4-1 early.....
defense

Post by defense »

shins wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:Curious why you wouldn't put Sartell above LF??? I'm a Flyers fan, but I think I'd seed Sartell above LF at this point.
I would probably put Sartell ahead of LF based solely on section games.... I still feel that LF is a better (slightly) team based on comparative scores -- LF beat both Brainerd and Tech while Sartell was blown out by both, but those games do not really affect section seeding.

I think Sartell, LF, Willmar and possibly Alex or Fergus could win this thing. I don't see a whole lot of separation between them (and I don't know much about Detroit Lakes)
Ya, OK. I see what you guys mean. I guess if the seeds were based solely on section games that would be the case. LF has lost two section games and Sartell only one. I guess maybe LF has not pretty much locked up #1, though in my opinion it will take LF losing some more games and this is why: The coaches vote on the seeds. I can't take Sartell's victory over LF away, it is what it is. The thing is though, that each team's entire season will likely be looked at, not just the section games. If it does not work out that way it should because you take a team like DL who doesn't happen to play in the CLC, how do you seed them based on section games???? You can't.
ryno44

Post by ryno44 »

I don't agree with the placement of Hibbing. They are placed 1 spot ahead of the team they put into running time. Second they are behind Chisago Lakes who they beat by 5 goals, I believe? They also beat Warroad.

But anyway thanks for taking the time to do this.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

fivehole628 wrote:My Opinion.

1. St. Thomas Academy
2. Blake
3. Totino-Grace
4. Hermantown
5. Hibbing/Chisholm
6. Duluth Marshall
7. Thief River Falls
8. Rochester Lourdes
9. Warroad
10. Breck
11. South St. Paul
12. Delano
13. Duluth Central
14. Virginia/MI-B
15. Rogers
16. Lake of the Woods
17. Sartell-St. Stephen
18. Little Falls
19. St. Cloud Cathedral
20. Wilmar

As you can see from another Thread on this bored, Lyons, the great goaltender for LOW is leaving for the USHL.

You can now probably forget about LOW in the ratings. :cry: :cry:
MNHockey_6

Post by MNHockey_6 »

Any idea when Lyons is leaving?
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

TTpuckster wrote:
fivehole628 wrote:My Opinion.

1. St. Thomas Academy
2. Blake
3. Totino-Grace
4. Hermantown
5. Hibbing/Chisholm
6. Duluth Marshall
7. Thief River Falls
8. Rochester Lourdes
9. Warroad
10. Breck
11. South St. Paul
12. Delano
13. Duluth Central
14. Virginia/MI-B
15. Rogers
16. Lake of the Woods
17. Sartell-St. Stephen
18. Little Falls
19. St. Cloud Cathedral
20. Wilmar

As you can see from another Thread on this bored, Lyons, the great goaltender for LOW is leaving for the USHL.

You can now probably forget about LOW in the ratings. :cry: :cry:
I saw that, but Lyons isn't the ONLY reason theyre doing so well this season is he? Haven't had the opportunity to watch them yet... I guess we'll find out over the next 3 weeks.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

DubCHAGuy wrote:Nice job HSHW. .
Don't do that.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
HShockeywatcher

ryno44 wrote:I don't agree with the placement of Hibbing. They are placed 1 spot ahead of the team they put into running time. Second they are behind Chisago Lakes who they beat by 5 goals, I believe? They also beat Warroad.

Constructive criticism is always welcome. How to weigh current games vs early games is tough. Also, how to weigh losing close to high team vs not close to a low team is tough.

Maht is tough. The only good wins are Virginia and Rogers. Close losses, though are plenty. They lose by a goal to my #2 team but lose by 6 to #12 Hibbing. Was that a result of the long drive? They followed it up with a Virginia win and a Rapids OT game.

Chisago is also even more tough. 3rd game of the season losing to Hibbing. But their margin of victory when compared with other teams is good. And recently lost to Totino by less than Breck did. If they lose to anyone other than Benilde/Totino, they will drop by a lot, but right now it's tough. SLP also lost to Totino by 1, so I can understand the argument for them being lower. We'll see how this week goes.
hockeyrocks

Post by hockeyrocks »

...Just Saying
Have to agree. Not sure what the deal is with Breck. They are a good team that is capable of beating up weak opponents, but they haven't won a big game since the games last March @ the X....And this isn't that team!! They should be down in the 10-12 slot. They have some talent but somehow the coach needs to get them all on the same page. They take way too many penalties and it's killing them with average goaltending and Defense.

I also think Lourdes should be much higher as they already have as many wins as Breck is likely to finish the year with.
HShockeywatcher

hockeyrocks wrote:

...Just Saying
Have to agree. Not sure what the deal is with Breck. They are a good team that is capable of beating up weak opponents, but they haven't won a big game since the games last March @ the X....And this isn't that team!! They should be down in the 10-12 slot. They have some talent but somehow the coach needs to get them all on the same page. They take way too many penalties and it's killing them with average goaltending and Defense.

I also think Lourdes should be much higher as they already have as many wins as Breck is likely to finish the year with.
(1) Again, another tough call.

-Two years ago when Breck won their state first state title, all season everyone (including respected members of this board) on here was saying that Breck was mediocre at best because of who they'd played/beaten and the margins. Then they made it to state and dominated everyone they played.

-Last year they had done nothing more to prove themselves aside from winning state the previous year, in fact they had less conference shut outs and margins at state were less, but many were calling them one of the best teams regardless of class.

-This year they have lost some players, but are still a good team. They have lost to the only the top 3 Class A teams and have dominated their conference similar to the last two years. Put them back in Silver, instead of Gold, and they'd have at least one more win, probably two.

Maybe not the team they were the last two years, but seem to still be quite good.

(2) I've repeated my reasons for why they are where they should be, but the only reasons I've heard for them being higher are (a) wins and (b) their schedule is similar to other teams ranked higher. a is true. b is not really though.

While similar, they have not played better teams close, but have played multiple worse teams very close. There are not many compelling reasons they should be higher aside from wins, which mean little. Up until recently Little Falls had more wins and no one wanted them higher. I'd want nothing more than to put a private school really high, but the proof just isn't there.
MnHsHockey2011`

Post by MnHsHockey2011` »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
ryno44 wrote:I don't agree with the placement of Hibbing. They are placed 1 spot ahead of the team they put into running time. Second they are behind Chisago Lakes who they beat by 5 goals, I believe? They also beat Warroad.

Constructive criticism is always welcome. How to weigh current games vs early games is tough. Also, how to weigh losing close to high team vs not close to a low team is tough.

Maht is tough. The only good wins are Virginia and Rogers. Close losses, though are plenty. They lose by a goal to my #2 team but lose by 6 to #12 Hibbing. Was that a result of the long drive? They followed it up with a Virginia win and a Rapids OT game.

Chisago is also even more tough. 3rd game of the season losing to Hibbing. But their margin of victory when compared with other teams is good. And recently lost to Totino by less than Breck did. If they lose to anyone other than Benilde/Totino, they will drop by a lot, but right now it's tough. SLP also lost to Totino by 1, so I can understand the argument for them being lower. We'll see how this week goes.
chisago recently beat SLP by 3 goals...both times they played them they won by more than 1. totino won by only 1 both times. chisago should have beat totino the first game. if anyone was there you would have seen how dominant chisago was and the last part of the game i think the refs got a little power hungry.
HShockeywatcher

What do people think should happen with the top 3 if Totino wins? This would put it so Blake beat Totino and Totino beat St Thomas. So would St Thomas slide down to 3? Or does it depend on margin of victory. I'm hoping I don't have to worry about this, but looking for opinions if it does.