Great teams that no longer exist

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

wblhcky24

Great teams that no longer exist

Post by wblhcky24 »

Which team Is the best of the schools that no longer are open or don't have teams?
2012 pond hockey All Star
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

Edina West
PhilRudd

Post by PhilRudd »

Crookston Cathedral

PR 8)
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

Edina East...

1974, 1978, 1979 Champions

8)
The Puck
LGW
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:Edina West
WHAFightingSaints

Post by WHAFightingSaints »

Mpls. Southwest
Air Force 1

Post by Air Force 1 »

Indus!
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Minnesota Golden Gophers
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

mulefarm wrote:Minnesota Golden Gophers
:lol: :lol: :lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Teams from schools either closed or absorbed by other schools. These schools which made the State Tournament include

Alexander Ramsey (now Roseville)
Bloomington Lincoln
Columbia Heights (now North Metro?)
Duluth Central (after this season)
Edina West (East is still open, aren't they? Just called Edina now)
Granite Falls
Hopkins Lindbergh (are they just Hopkins now?)
Kellogg (now Roseville)
Mariner
all those individual Mpls schools but Southwest had the greatest impact
Staples (now part of Wadena?)
St Paul Harding, Humboldt, Monroe, Murray, Washington
Williams (where the heck was that?)

If you consider that Edina East is still open but called Edina now, the best was easily Mpls Southwest.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Air Force 1

Post by Air Force 1 »

east hockey wrote: Williams (where the heck was that?)
Lee
MN Highway 11 between Warroad and Baudette.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Lee, probably before your time but you forgot Duluth Cathedral. Won 5 private school championships in the mid-to-late 60%. Here is an interesting read on their renowned coach, Del Genereau:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Delbert-G ... 1346464133
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Mpls Central and Mpls West....Cowboys and Pioneers, I knew a lot of players from those schools.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

east hockey wrote:Edina West (East is still open, aren't they? Just called Edina now)

If you consider that Edina East is still open but called Edina now, the best was easily Mpls Southwest.

Lee
Lee, Edina's campus is the site of old Edina West.
Be kind. Rewind.
F14

More

Post by F14 »

Golden Valley High School (1958-1980) Now where Breck is located Had about 60-70 kids in a a grade as a public school but did play hockey games at the SLP Rec Center in the 70's
Robbinsdale High School 1936-1982
Minneapolis Marshall U-High (til 1982)
Fridley High School (now absorbed by North Metro) (ended around 2001 and for several years BC, Fridley and Columbia Heights were TRI-City which became North Metro
Brooklyn Center High School 1961-2001
Thehockeyplaya

Post by Thehockeyplaya »

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 79&start=0

This is a thread from quite a while ago. It's only two pages long but if you look through some of the posts are about schools that no longer exist. On the second page videoscout has a nice post about how Crookston used to have three or four teams.

Lee- I know these names are from when the board first started but does videoscout, bluesbuddy, or any of the names from that time frame come around anymore?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Lee, probably before your time but you forgot Duluth Cathedral. Won 5 private school championships in the mid-to-late 60%. Here is an interesting read on their renowned coach, Del Genereau:

Did a little more searching and I found this bit of history from a Hill-Murray site. If you open up 1965-69 you'll see that Duluth Cathedral won the Catholic championship 5 straight times.

http://www.hmpioneers.net/hockey/playoff.htm
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:Lee, probably before your time but you forgot Duluth Cathedral. Won 5 private school championships in the mid-to-late 60%. Here is an interesting read on their renowned coach, Del Genereau:

Did a little more searching and I found this bit of history from a Hill-Murray site. If you open up 1965-69 you'll see that Duluth Cathedral won the Catholic championship 5 straight times.

http://www.hmpioneers.net/hockey/playoff.htm
My uncles actually played on some of those teams, they have some great stories about those days.
Go Hounds.
Teak

Post by Teak »

Thehockeyplaya wrote:http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 79&start=0

This is a thread from quite a while ago. It's only two pages long but if you look through some of the posts are about schools that no longer exist. On the second page videoscout has a nice post about how Crookston used to have three or four teams.
Very interesting. Thanks for the link.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

The school's still there; they changed their name from Cathedral to Marshall. The banners hang in the Mars arena.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Thehockeyplaya wrote:http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 79&start=0

Lee- I know these names are from when the board first started but does videoscout, bluesbuddy, or any of the names from that time frame come around anymore?
Looks like slapshooter's last post was in 2009 and videoscout's was in 2005...... Great stories they have.
MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life »

Greatest team that no longer exists is obviously my first beer league team of the Jags and Stars that couldn't hack it post-HS!! 8)
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Thehockeyplaya wrote: Lee- I know these names are from when the board first started but does videoscout, bluesbuddy, or any of the names from that time frame come around anymore?
Nope.

:idea:
Last edited by EREmpireStrikesBack on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Thehockeyplaya

Post by Thehockeyplaya »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:[quote="Thehockeyplaya"Lee- I know these names are from when the board first started but does videoscout, bluesbuddy, or any of the names from that time frame come around anymore?
Nope.

:idea:[/quote]

I was just curious cause a few years back Lee had mentioned that some of the original posters come back every now and again but that they used new names. I believe he said he knew because the operator of the site is able to see the Ip address of registered users.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Thehockeyplaya wrote:
EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:
Thehockeyplaya wrote:Lee- I know these names are from when the board first started but does videoscout, bluesbuddy, or any of the names from that time frame come around anymore?
Nope.

I was just curious cause a few years back Lee had mentioned that some of the original posters come back every now and again but that they used new names. I believe he said he knew because the operator of the site is able to see the Ip address of registered users.
And...?

Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls