Fights?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The Best in the Bizz3

Fights?

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

Over the recent part of the season, there have been several large brawls. Moorehead and wayzata, Edina and Eden prairie were two but today I went to see my hometown sabres take on the Holy Angels Stars. Stars won 4-1, but the officiating was awful. They let several obvious calls go, I think because of this the game becAme out of hands. When the buzzer buzzed, a huge bench clearing brawl broke loose. It was one of the most vicious fights I have ever seen. If you were there, any comments? Also is it the officiating that let's the game get to this?
GopherPuckPlayer

Re: Fights?

Post by GopherPuckPlayer »

The Best in the Bizz3 wrote:Over the recent part of the season, there have been several large brawls. Moorehead and wayzata, Edina and Eden prairie were two but today I went to see my hometown sabres take on the Holy Angels Stars. Stars won 4-1, but the officiating was awful. They let several obvious calls go, I think because of this the game becAme out of hands. When the buzzer buzzed, a huge bench clearing brawl broke loose. It was one of the most vicious fights I have ever seen. If you were there, any comments? Also is it the officiating that let's the game get to this?
This past Thursday the Little Falls/Sauk Rapids game was poorly officiated. There were not fights, but there were some clear penalties on both sides that should have been called, and weren’t. I could see how it could get out of hand.
Red ice sells hockey tickets.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

The brawl at the AHA/Shako game would have been avoided had there been some refs on the ice. Yes there were three guys wearing stripes, but they looked like the three blind mice.
My team won, but from the first drop of the puck they could not see or call anything. Both teams were getting away with everything once they realized that the refs forgot to show up. I was tempted to throw my glasses on the ice for them, but I do not like when people throw crap on my ice.
Both teams had goals waved off, Shakopee in the 2nd had one taken away when the whistle went off, then in the third AHA had one missed when the puck trickled behind the goalie, but the ref was out of view.
Hopefully all that comes from this is a couple of minors. It would suck for both teams to lose a player for a game because the refs decided to abuse their power.
Oh there is a chance that these two teams can play one more time in the quarters at Richfield......
easton18

Post by easton18 »

The Best in the Bizz3 wrote:Over the recent part of the season, there have been several large brawls. Moorehead and wayzata, Edina and Eden prairie were two but today I went to see my hometown sabres take on the Holy Angels Stars. Stars won 4-1, but the officiating was awful. They let several obvious calls go, I think because of this the game becAme out of hands. When the buzzer buzzed, a huge bench clearing brawl broke loose. It was one of the most vicious fights I have ever seen. If you were there, any comments? Also is it the officiating that let's the game get to this?
I was at the game and thought that while the officiating was pretty bad, the Shakopee coaches didn't do much to control their players. At one point one of the coaches grabbed one of his player's sticks and started banging it on the boards as to voice his displeasure over a bad call. IMO a coach in that situation, has the right to speak with the ref about a call, should be way more mature than that. That being said, the officiating was awful. Thats my $.02, but in the end a brawl that amounted in 40 penalty minutes (according to the Hub) probably could have been avoided...
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

It's good to see the boys play with a little edge. Nothing wrong with dropping the mitts and letting the emotions out. Should happen more often.
dirtracing17

Post by dirtracing17 »

mulefarm wrote:It's good to see the boys play with a little edge. Nothing wrong with dropping the mitts and letting the emotions out. Should happen more often.
i agree there
you can live in your car, but can't race your house
slyer

Post by slyer »

VERY bad idea, show them sportsmanship not fighting, they see enough of this already in everyday life
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

Old time hockey! Nothing wrong with a good fight every now and then.
57special

Post by 57special »

I can't get over the futility of a fight between two players wearing a face cage or mask.
Last edited by 57special on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

The rule says you must take them off before any punches are thrown.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

According to the rules: Fighting is UNACCEPTABLE in HS hockey. Period.

These "fights," more like locker boxing, are going to happen in games; there is no way of mitigating/stopping that. The coaches and refs are responsible for the safety of the players and taking control of such incidents.

8)
The Puck
LGW
Danglesnipe&celly Tro

Post by Danglesnipe&celly Tro »

Fighting is part of the game.
I am by no means promoting it at this level but it's a natural thing.

I was at the Moorhead wayzata game.
The fight brewed out of frustration.

It's not the refs fault fights start. They try to break it up and hand out suspensions (Mario Lucia). I think molenaar and sit should have been suspended after the scuffle.
The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

Danglesnipe&celly Tro wrote:Fighting is part of the game.
I am by no means promoting it at this level but it's a natural thing.

I was at the Moorhead wayzata game.
The fight brewed out of frustration.

It's not the refs fault fights start. They try to break it up and hand out suspensions (Mario Lucia). I think molenaar and sit should have been suspended after the scuffle.
I agree with you in most situations. During the AHA, Shako game, it was different. The first period was fine. Second period, two called off goals, a goal that they let go that was not in, and several hissy fits. There was a lot of in the goalie's face type plays, and face offs incidents. In the third period, they let everything go, the coaches went mental at some of the missed calls. The frustration increased. I'll be honest, one of my Sabre's got away with a check from behind late in the game. It took off from there. At the final face-off the puck went back to the AHA D. and a late hit from a Shako player made for a head lock by the AHA D. Then all 10 skaters on the ice began to brawl, but then the coaches had no intention of keeping their bench filled. They let the whole team flood the ice. AHA had tried to keep most of their guys on the bench, but how can you let there be a 18 on 5 fight? It was very undisciplined. I just feel the refs really could have done a better job
dzonecoverage

Post by dzonecoverage »

Shakopee coach and team are out of control. You just have to watch their bench to see what kind of example is being set
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

Quite frankly its part of the game and always has been, tempers tend to get the best during a game and emotions run wild, its all part of that competitive spirit and wanting to win.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Roseauverrated wrote:Old time hockey! Nothing wrong with a good fight every now and then.
At what point was "old time hockey" a part of h.s. games? Fighting doesn't belong in h.s. period.
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

HS and college both need to get rid of the full cage, and give 5s for fighting. NCAA is seriously looking at the cage issue (again) but I don't think they'll change their minds on the fighting. That's OK, they get a game for fighting. The college game was calling the facemask rule last year a lot, but most refs have quite calling it. (I think it's a 5 for grabbing the mask, and a 2 for rubbin' it?) Look, these guys think they're invicible and play that way. I mean, who's going to get hurt with the helmets and gloves on? Make them remove the helmets and gloves, and go at it.

Another look is that the game of hockey has regressed to where the refs have total autonomy and there is little or no repurcussion for letting this happen. It's a very hard job, being a good ref. We need to pay the good ones better, so that more will want to do it. Get rid of the bad ones. (this could apply to coaches too)

Bottom line, allow fighting and you'll have fewer "dances" where all that is happening is some face-rubbin' and trash talking. Get rid of the cages and that will be a step in the right direction.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Blue&Gold wrote:HS and college both need to get rid of the full cage, and give 5s for fighting. NCAA is seriously looking at the cage issue (again) but I don't think they'll change their minds on the fighting. That's OK, they get a game for fighting. The college game was calling the facemask rule last year a lot, but most refs have quite calling it. (I think it's a 5 for grabbing the mask, and a 2 for rubbin' it?) Look, these guys think they're invicible and play that way. I mean, who's going to get hurt with the helmets and gloves on? Make them remove the helmets and gloves, and go at it.

Another look is that the game of hockey has regressed to where the refs have total autonomy and there is little or no repurcussion for letting this happen. It's a very hard job, being a good ref. We need to pay the good ones better, so that more will want to do it. Get rid of the bad ones. (this could apply to coaches too)

Bottom line, allow fighting and you'll have fewer "dances" where all that is happening is some face-rubbin' and trash talking. Get rid of the cages and that will be a step in the right direction.
Totally agree! Plus it will prepare the players for the next level.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

There's that word again. :roll: If the helmets aren't removed, and numerous players aren't bleeding, then it ain't no brawl.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

BodyShots wrote:
There's that word again. :roll: If the helmets aren't removed, and numerous players aren't bleeding, then it ain't no brawl.
It's more like locker boxing.

8)
The Puck
LGW
speedskater

Post by speedskater »

I watched this game at http://www.ihigh.com/shakopeehockey/broadcasts.html

It has now been pulled from the archives. Shakopee coaches should be ashamed of the way they handled their team. Coaches did nothing to control their players or to try and stop them from getting involved. Game is over and Shakopee attacks number #16 for Holy Angels in the corner. It ends up being entire Shakopee team against 4 players from Holy Angels. Shakopee had as many as 5 to 7 players pounding on 1 Holy Angels player. What baffles me is many of the Shakopee fans cheered and encouraged the players. The fans cheered for the Shakopee team as they left the ice.

The Shakopee coaches and players are an embarrassment to high school hockey.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

speedskater wrote:I watched this game at http://www.ihigh.com/shakopeehockey/broadcasts.html

It has now been pulled from the archives. Shakopee coaches should be ashamed of the way they handled their team. Coaches did nothing to control their players or to try and stop them from getting involved. Game is over and Shakopee attacks number #16 for Holy Angels in the corner. It ends up being entire Shakopee team against 4 players from Holy Angels. Shakopee had as many as 5 to 7 players pounding on 1 Holy Angels player. What baffles me is many of the Shakopee fans cheered and encouraged the players. The fans cheered for the Shakopee team as they left the ice.

The Shakopee coaches and players are an embarrassment to high school hockey.
I wish I could see it to comment on it.

But like what you said speed, the coaches need to take responsibility as well. And don't forget about the refs..

8)
The Puck
LGW
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

Before I comment, is this boys or girls hockey we are discussing here? Thanks.
Twin Cities puck21

Post by Twin Cities puck21 »

If kids in High school wanna fight in hockey games then they should go join the MNJHL because there should be no fighting allowed in any high school sports.
PoniesDad45

Post by PoniesDad45 »

WB6162 wrote:Before I comment, is this boys or girls hockey we are discussing here? Thanks.
:P