Cloquet at Duluth East, 2/8/11

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

CEC
34%
DE
66%

Total votes: 35

karl(east)

Cloquet at Duluth East, 2/8/11

Post by karl(east) »

East won the first meeting without much trouble, scoring 3 in the first en route to a 4-0 win at the CARC. But CEC has been coming on strong ever since, with its top line putting up some gaudy goal totals, while East has hit a few bumps in the road down the stretch and is no longer winning with the authority they had at the beginning of the season. The game could end up shaping the 7AA seeding as well.

Can East make it 6 in a row in this rivalry, or does this game signal the return of the Jacks to prominence in 7AA?

The game is at 7:30 at the Heritage Center.
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

This game scares me.
Go Hounds.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

EHSHack wrote:This game scares me.
It shouldn't. Its not even sections yet!

8)
The Puck
LGW
DHMN

Post by DHMN »

IF the 'Jacks play like they did for 2 periods against Hermantown, JoJo Jeanetta will get a serious test from the first and second Cloquet lines. If they play the way they did the 3rd period in Hermantown.. it'll be a cakewalk.. no pun intended, for East

No idea who starts in net for the 'Jacks, whether they stay in rotation and play Boyd Smith or play John Scheuer in back to back games, both goaltenders are 7-3.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Sappi City by two.

And I feel the need to take a shower after watching myself type that. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

east hockey wrote:Sappi City by two.

Lee
What's creepy, is that I don't know which team your taking by two?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

BodyShots wrote:

Lee
What's creepy, is that I don't know which team your taking by two?
Eh, sorry, you'd have to know the area. Sappi is the primary employer in Cloquet. Used to be Potlatch.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
hockeylover1

Post by hockeylover1 »

Going to this one and I can't wait. I'm predicting the upset as DE is reeling a bit. Cloquet's teamwork gets it done.
Cloquet 5
DE 4
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Cloquet 6-5
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

East 4-2.

Enough CEC wins... :roll: :lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

PuckU126 wrote:East 4-2.

8)
:lol: We've got differing opinions on this one. Place yer bets.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

starmvp wrote:

8)
No more than a nickel! :lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

PuckU126 wrote:
starmvp wrote:

8)

8)
:roll: Out of money after the Steelers loss? But back on topic. DE won their first meeting 4-0, so I am feeling a prepared Cloquet team win.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

starmvp wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
starmvp wrote: :lol: We've got differing opinions on this one. Place yer bets.

8)
:roll: Out of money after the Steelers loss? But back on topic. DE won their first meeting 4-0, so I am feeling a prepared Cloquet team win.
Low blow... :oops:

East wins... Again.

8)
The Puck
LGW
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

If Cloquet wins, I'd like to be at the seeding meeting for 7AA - could be heated and very interesting. Suddenly, Rapids would have a very good shot of claiming the #1 seed. The report of a friend who saw Rapids dump Moorhead was that the Thunderhawks were all over the Spuds for most of the game. East has done very little the past month to stake a definitive claim for the #1. I am going with the upset.

Cloquet 4
East 3
formerplayer37

Post by formerplayer37 »

any place that I could stream this game online?
CB00

Post by CB00 »

The Hounds will win this game by 3. I wouldn't get over excited if I was a CEC fan. Not sure why many are picking the Jacks. :?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

The game will be televised on KBJR-DT2 (My Nine); channel 9 on Charter Communications Duluth and Mediacom (Proctor & Cloquet).

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
DHMN

Post by DHMN »

CB00 wrote:The Hounds will win this game by 3. I wouldn't get over excited if I was a CEC fan. Not sure why many are picking the Jacks. :?
The Cloquet first line of McFarlane-Kuhlman-Meyer may be at the same level as the Langenbrunner-Petrov-Novak line of 1993 (for those of you alive back then :D), with the ability to score every shift. The second line has come together pretty good lately as well.

That at least gives the 'Jacks a chance to make teams score to beat them, especially with some defensemen out injured.
Rudy9

Post by Rudy9 »

mnmouth wrote:If Cloquet wins, I'd like to be at the seeding meeting for 7AA - could be heated and very interesting. Suddenly, Rapids would have a very good shot of claiming the #1 seed. The report of a friend who saw Rapids dump Moorhead was that the Thunderhawks were all over the Spuds for most of the game. East has done very little the past month to stake a definitive claim for the #1. I am going with the upset.

Cloquet 4
East 3
East's three losses the past month -AV, Maple Grove, and Blaine - are not common opponents of Rapids or Cloquet and really doesn't affect the section seeding. East would need to lose both games this week for Rapids to have even have an argument for number 1. Winning the head to head game is still tough to argue against though. Moorhead would be a common opponent, but East winning their game 6-0 in Moorhead doesn't help.

As for the game, I'll take the Hounds in a close one.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

CB00 wrote:The Hounds will win this game by 3. I wouldn't get over excited if I was a CEC fan. Not sure why many are picking the Jacks. :?
It's a product of the rivalry. In Dave Esse's 11 seasons at Cloquet, he has a 13-12-2 record against East (including playoffs). Considering that East has usually had the stronger teams over this time span (East has gone to State 5 times, Cloquet twice), that's quite an achievement.

There's a worry of a "here we go again" complex amongst East supporters whenever they run into Cloquet in a big game. Of East's 5 losses in sections over the past decade, 4(!) have been to lower-seeded Cloquet teams.

Also, Cloquet tends to improve as the years go on, even in the last two seasons when they were bad. East has won the first meeting the past two years in total blowouts, but the second meetings have been decided by 2 and 1 goal(s), respectively. That comes with an asterisk, though, as the second meeting was in Cloquet both years, and it is in Duluth this year. The CARC has not treated the Hounds well lately.

The good news from the East perspective is that this is high school, and the players all change--no one on the current East roster has ever lost to Cloquet.

I sure hope your prediction is right. From what I saw in the first meeting, it sounds about right. But upsets have become so commonplace in this rivalry that it almost seems too easy to pick the upset in this one.
Last edited by karl(east) on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEHS Dan Green

Post by DEHS Dan Green »

This game scares me a little, but Hounds by 3. It's red and grey week and the whole school will be there. And the players know this is a must win game.
I <3 cake

State bound hounds
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

Lee
I can't believe my eyes, Lee. How can you predict that!? [-X

Starting to get worried... :?

Hounds by 2!

8)
The Puck
LGW
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

Rudy9 wrote:
mnmouth wrote:If Cloquet wins, I'd like to be at the seeding meeting for 7AA - could be heated and very interesting. Suddenly, Rapids would have a very good shot of claiming the #1 seed. The report of a friend who saw Rapids dump Moorhead was that the Thunderhawks were all over the Spuds for most of the game. East has done very little the past month to stake a definitive claim for the #1. I am going with the upset.

Cloquet 4
East 3
East's three losses the past month -AV, Maple Grove, and Blaine - are not common opponents of Rapids or Cloquet and really doesn't affect the section seeding. East would need to lose both games this week for Rapids to have even have an argument for number 1. Winning the head to head game is still tough to argue against though. Moorhead would be a common opponent, but East winning their game 6-0 in Moorhead doesn't help.

As for the game, I'll take the Hounds in a close one.
That's BS. You can bet that arguments will be heard aplenty on how one team finishes the season as compared to how another team finishes the season regardless of common opponents.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

formerplayer37 wrote:any place that I could stream this game online?
WEBC 560 has a radio feed online. There is an easy link to it from prephockeynorth.com.

I tried to get it to work for last week's game but couldn't. I think it has to do with my computer, though. Will try again tonight.