7A Seedings

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins the section?

Hibbing
25%
Virginia
35%
Duluth Central
10%
Duluth Marshall
30%

Total votes: 40

hshockeyfan53

7A Seedings

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

Anybody know how this section is shaping up?
RangeHockeyFan1817

Post by RangeHockeyFan1817 »

My take is 1 and 2 won't be decided until next Tuesday when Hibbing and Virginia play each other again. Whoever wins that will get #1 and the loser will take #2. after that it should be Central/Defeld at #3 and Marshall at #4
RangeHockeyFan1817

I'm suprised people are even voting for Marshall to be #1, they've lost to Central and Virginia and tied Hibbing. I can't think of any argument where they should be anything higher than #4. They've all been close games but they couldn't pull out the win in any of them. They'll still be tough come sections and could pull off an upset but they'll have to prove it then because they haven't all season.
ryno44

Post by ryno44 »

RangeHockeyFan1817 wrote:My take is 1 and 2 won't be decided until next Tuesday when Hibbing and Virginia play each other again. Whoever wins that will get #1 and the loser will take #2. after that it should be Central/Defeld at #3 and Marshall at #4
I agree 100%. The Hibbing sweep of Falls and Virginia win over Central would make the winner the #1, I would think anyway.
Northfan99

Post by Northfan99 »

1./2. Hibbing or Virginia- pending Tuesday nights outcome winner will get the 1 seed
3. Central
4. Marshall- hell of a 4 seed just has no arguements against the top 3
5. I'falls
6. Eveleth
The rest who cares... should be a crazy section tournament
chubbs

Post by chubbs »

thats rough for marshall. they'll have to win 3 tough games in a row if they want to go to state
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

chubbs wrote:thats rough for marshall. they'll have to win 3 tough games in a row if they want to go to state
I think you mean 2 tough games
Northfan99

Post by Northfan99 »

4 vs. 5 will be a tough game
chubbs

Post by chubbs »

I think you mean 2 tough games
No i mean 3
mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn »

ryno44 wrote:
RangeHockeyFan1817 wrote:My take is 1 and 2 won't be decided until next Tuesday when Hibbing and Virginia play each other again. Whoever wins that will get #1 and the loser will take #2. after that it should be Central/Defeld at #3 and Marshall at #4
I agree 100%. The Hibbing sweep of Falls and Virginia win over Central would make the winner the #1, I would think anyway.
Quite funny how you already throw out the Falls, and not even include them in the entire poll. I guess time will tell. I agree that they are #5 seed, but should never be counted out.
Northern Minnesota, Now that's real Hockey!
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

There are still 2 head to head section games remaining which could still affect the seeding. (Hibbing @ Virginia and Greenway @ Eveleth on Tuesday.) Ely plays Silver Bay again, but its after the seeding meeting so it won't have any impact. With that in mind, here is how I would seed it based on the one big result yet to come.

If Virginia defeats Hibbing:
1. Virginia (8-2 section record with both losses by one goal with less than 30 seconds left in regulation.)

2. Duluth Central (Only loss in section play was to Virginia. Defeated Hibbing and Marshall.)

3. Hibbing (6-2-1 section record with losses to both of the above teams and tie with Marshall. The win in the first game over Virginia keeps them ahead of Marshall)

If Hibbing defeats Virginia:
1. Hibbing (7-1-1 section record. Superior overall record compared with Central and two wins over Virginia.)

2. Virginia (7-3 section record. Head to head wins over Central and Marshall.)

3. Duluth Central (Loss to Virginia keeps them below Virginia.)

If Virginia and Hibbing tie:
1. Hibbing (6-1-2 section record. Only loss to Central by a close margin.)

2. Virginia (7-2-1 section record. The loss to I Falls at home comes back to bite them here.)

3. Duluth Central (Loss to Virginia and overall record aren't enough to compliment their win over Hibbing to move them any higher.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest are probably set:
4. Duluth Marshall (Only section win was against Eveleth. Lost to Virginia, Central, tied Hibbing... Really needs to get I Falls on their schedule.)

5. International Falls (7-3 section record. Lost to Hibbing twice, Virginia once - with a depleted squad. Didn't play Central or Marshall. Had a few ugly games scattered throughout the season.)

6. Eveleth-Gilbert (7-6 section record, with a game left against Greenway. Beat all the lower teams, lost to everyone above. Probably locked in regardless of the outcome of their game with Greenway.)

7. Silver Bay (4-5-1 section record. A one-goal win and a tie with Ely, along with an OT win over Greenway keeps them ahead of the rest of the pack for now. Greenway could still bump them down to 8 with a win over Eveleth.)

8. Greenway (4-5 section record. Game pending with Eveleth. Lost to all above and split with SB and Ely. A win over Eveleth could bump them up to 7.)

9. Ely (3 section wins, two over Two Harbors, one early season over Greenway. Greenway also beat them in running time later in the season.)

10. Two Harbors (0-11 in section play. Just 3 wins on the season as of now)
mitchrapp

Post by mitchrapp »

Is there a blank bracket available showing where the #1-#10 seeds would be slotted?????
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

mitchrapp wrote:Is there a blank bracket available showing where the #1-#10 seeds would be slotted?????
http://mshsl.org/mshsl/showxmlbrackets. ... acket=5386
Northfan99

Post by Northfan99 »

Thanks for the nice breakdown puckranger
HSH1212

Post by HSH1212 »

PuckRanger wrote:There are still 2 head to head section games remaining which could still affect the seeding. (Hibbing @ Virginia and Greenway @ Eveleth on Tuesday.) Ely plays Silver Bay again, but its after the seeding meeting so it won't have any impact. With that in mind, here is how I would seed it based on the one big result yet to come.

If Virginia defeats Hibbing:
1. Virginia (8-2 section record with both losses by one goal with less than 30 seconds left in regulation.)

2. Duluth Central (Only loss in section play was to Virginia. Defeated Hibbing and Marshall.)

3. Hibbing (6-2-1 section record with losses to both of the above teams and tie with Marshall. The win in the first game over Virginia keeps them ahead of Marshall)

If Hibbing defeats Virginia:
1. Hibbing (7-1-1 section record. Superior overall record compared with Central and two wins over Virginia.)

2. Virginia (7-3 section record. Head to head wins over Central and Marshall.)

3. Duluth Central (Loss to Virginia keeps them below Virginia.)

If Virginia and Hibbing tie:
1. Hibbing (6-1-2 section record. Only loss to Central by a close margin.)

2. Virginia (7-2-1 section record. The loss to I Falls at home comes back to bite them here.)

3. Duluth Central (Loss to Virginia and overall record aren't enough to compliment their win over Hibbing to move them any higher.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest are probably set:
4. Duluth Marshall (Only section win was against Eveleth. Lost to Virginia, Central, tied Hibbing... Really needs to get I Falls on their schedule.)

5. International Falls (7-3 section record. Lost to Hibbing twice, Virginia once - with a depleted squad. Didn't play Central or Marshall. Had a few ugly games scattered throughout the season.)

6. Eveleth-Gilbert (7-6 section record, with a game left against Greenway. Beat all the lower teams, lost to everyone above. Probably locked in regardless of the outcome of their game with Greenway.)

7. Silver Bay (4-5-1 section record. A one-goal win and a tie with Ely, along with an OT win over Greenway keeps them ahead of the rest of the pack for now. Greenway could still bump them down to 8 with a win over Eveleth.)

8. Greenway (4-5 section record. Game pending with Eveleth. Lost to all above and split with SB and Ely. A win over Eveleth could bump them up to 7.)

9. Ely (3 section wins, two over Two Harbors, one early season over Greenway. Greenway also beat them in running time later in the season.)

10. Two Harbors (0-11 in section play. Just 3 wins on the season as of now)
I believe it will be:

1) Hibbing
2) Virginia
3) Duluth Central
4) International Falls
5) Duluth Marshall

I highly doubt either of the duluth teams will get the benefit of the doubt as they rarely do in Section 7.

As for Marshall not scheduling I-Falls, I have heard it is actually the other way around as I-Falls refuses to schedule Marshall.
RangeHockeyFan1817

Actually I've changed my opinion on this one. If Virginia wins I don't think anyone can argue that they won't be #1 and if that is the case I think Central should be #2. Since Hibbing lost to Central and tied Marshall (who Central beat). Either way it shouldn't affect either team much whether they have 2 or 3. If Virginia loses I would still put them at #2 behind Hibbing since they beat the rest at least once.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

Here are the official seeds:

1. Virginia/Mt. Iron-Buhl
2. Hibbing/Chisholm
3. Duluth Central
4. Duluth Marshall
5. International Falls
6. Eveleth-Gilbert/Mesabi East
7. Silver Bay/Cook County
8. Greenway/Nashwauk-Keewatin
9. Ely/Babbitt-Embarrass/Tower-Soudan
10. Two Harbors

Brackets are posted on http://www.PrepHockeyNorth.com.
barnorthhockeyguy

Post by barnorthhockeyguy »

I think Central should be ahead of Hibbing. They beat them head to head. But oh well. Should be some good playoff games. Looking forward to it.
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

barnorthhockeyguy wrote:I think Central should be ahead of Hibbing. They beat them head to head. But oh well. Should be some good playoff games. Looking forward to it.
I was not impressed with Central last night at all. But then again, I'Falls and Eveleth were brutal also. If anything Central should be in the 4 spot behind Duluth Marshall
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

barnorthhockeyguy wrote:I think Central should be ahead of Hibbing. They beat them head to head. But oh well. Should be some good playoff games. Looking forward to it.
Virginia is the team who will have the toughest route to state with having to play DM and most likely Hibbing.
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
RangeHockeyFan1817

pipersniper12 wrote:
I was not impressed with Central last night at all. But then again, I'Falls and Eveleth were brutal also. If anything Central should be in the 4 spot behind Duluth Marshall
Put them behind another team that beat head to head? they already got screwed being put at 2. If section seeds are mainly based on section play Central should have been ahead of Hibbing, I'm just glad it won't make too much of a difference, they'll still play Hibbing in the Semis
muskie17

Post by muskie17 »

i thiink ifalls dm will be a good game dont assume marshalls gonna play virgina sataurday afternoon
HSH1212

Post by HSH1212 »

RangeHockeyFan1817 wrote:
pipersniper12 wrote:
Put them behind another team that beat head to head? they already got screwed being put at 2. If section seeds are mainly based on section play Central should have been ahead of Hibbing, I'm just glad it won't make too much of a difference, they'll still play Hibbing in the Semis
welcome to section 7, range teams don't like Duluth and they make up the majority of the voters.

I'm sure Central and Marshall will enjoy their trips to the "neutral" range sites for the semis.
nickmon3

Post by nickmon3 »

Hibbings coming off a tough loss at Virginia, and Virginia recently beat Marshall 3-4 OT at home. Ifalls lost to Hibbing twice and Virginia once. Its a tough call who will go to state, but I have a feeling its gonna be Virgina vs Hibbing in the section finals like it has been the last few years. The jackets always seem to pull it together and make it to the DECC.
The fighting team has a hockey problem
ryno44

Post by ryno44 »

nickmon3 wrote:Hibbings coming off a tough loss at Virginia, and Virginia recently beat Marshall 3-4 OT at home. Ifalls lost to Hibbing twice and Virginia once. Its a tough call who will go to state, but I have a feeling its gonna be Virgina vs Hibbing in the section finals like it has been the last few years. The jackets always seem to pull it together and make it to the DECC.
If Marshall makes it out of the first round, theres a good chance of them being in the finals. Looking at their scores from the season I wouldn't be surprised if they make it to state. Eveleth could upset Central in the first round too.