Let's Play Hockey Day at The Oval!

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WHAFightingSaints

Let's Play Hockey Day at The Oval!

Post by WHAFightingSaints » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:11 pm

I know there is already a 3 page post on the subject, but I thought this might be worthy of a new thread, if not lock it up and move it to the other thread.

Let’s play Hockey Day at the nation’s largest refrigerated sheet of ice, the John Rose Oval in Roseville, MN adjacent to Roseville Arena. Weeknights when hockey is going on they have four rinks going on for practices (no boards) while the speed skaters and pleasure skaters cruise around the outside. For Hockey Day they could put up a rink in the middle of the oval with temporary stands built around the rink, the rest of the oval could be used for pleasure skating, there probably would be room for an area for pick up hockey, all while the games are going on. The oval is equipped with a very nice large screen scoreboard that could show the games live with instant replays and other info. They also have a fire pit area that could be used for events. Locker rooms are available inside Roseville Arena; the arena also has two very nice rooms that overlook the oval that could be used as suites or for other events. The refrigeration takes care of the ice worries, the oval is also extremely well lit, games could be played into the evening hours, even if not televised.

Thoughts?

Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:26 pm

WHA, not only have you supplanted me as the SEC guru, but this is a wonderful idea, because the ice is still refrigerated, is it not??

You have been a fantastic addition to this forum. Rookie of The Year!!

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:29 pm

Goldfishdude wrote:WHA, not only have you supplanted me as the SEC guru, but this is a wonderful idea, because the ice is still refrigerated, is it not??

Correct.

8)
The Puck
LGW

WHAFightingSaints

Post by WHAFightingSaints » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Goldfishdude wrote:WHA, not only have you supplanted me as the SEC guru, but this is a wonderful idea, because the ice is still refrigerated, is it not??

The whole sheet is refrigerated.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Check out the post "Hockey Day 2012" on Sunday Feb 12th at 2:56 PM.

Are you stealing my ideas? :lol:

WHAFightingSaints

Post by WHAFightingSaints » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:53 pm

BodyShots wrote:Check out the post "Hockey Day 2012" on Sunday Feb 12th at 2:56 PM.

Are you stealing my ideas? :lol:
Apparently I did, my apologies I didn't see your post :oops:

WHAFightingSaints

Re: Let's Play Hockey Day at The Oval!

Post by WHAFightingSaints » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:57 pm

WHAFightingSaints wrote:I know there is already a 3 page post on the subject, but I thought this might be worthy of a new thread, if not lock it up and move it to the other thread.

Let’s play Hockey Day at the nation’s largest refrigerated sheet of ice, the John Rose Oval in Roseville, MN adjacent to Roseville Arena. Weeknights when hockey is going on they have four rinks going on for practices (no boards) while the speed skaters and pleasure skaters cruise around the outside. For Hockey Day they could put up a rink in the middle of the oval with temporary stands built around the rink, the rest of the oval could be used for pleasure skating, there probably would be room for an area for pick up hockey, all while the games are going on. The oval is equipped with a very nice large screen scoreboard that could show the games live with instant replays and other info. They also have a fire pit area that could be used for events. Locker rooms are available inside Roseville Arena; the arena also has two very nice rooms that overlook the oval that could be used as suites or for other events. The refrigeration takes care of the ice worries, the oval is also extremely well lit, games could be played into the evening hours, even if not televised.

Thoughts?
Didn't see Bodyshots earlier post, he came up with this idea before I did which convinces me it's a brilliant idea :lol:

youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:15 am

I used to think that all Great Minds think alike........now I see it's just the bat-crap crazy crowd that does!

BodyShots

Re: Let's Play Hockey Day at The Oval!

Post by BodyShots » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:30 am

WHAFightingSaints wrote:
WHAFightingSaints wrote:I know there is already a 3 page post on the subject, but I thought this might be worthy of a new thread, if not lock it up and move it to the other thread.

Thoughts?
Didn't see Bodyshots earlier post, he came up with this idea before I did which convinces me it's a brilliant idea :lol:
WHA, I got to admit. Your post sounds much more eloquent than mine!

It would be a great place to host the event.

WHAFightingSaints

Post by WHAFightingSaints » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Who decides where the event will be held?

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Roseville would be perfect.

Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:49 am

Just sent an email to my close personal friend Anthony Lapanta to see if The Oval has ever been brought up or if he thinks that would be a great place.

Now that he's a big shot, and not just a Shoreview baseball coach, he's hard to get a hold of... But, it certainly would make for a great annual event.

netminder.net

Post by netminder.net » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:55 am

Also, this season they had the "SEC Showcase" at Stillwater, all of the SEC teams played each other on one day. That would/could be a neat thing to move outside, Roseville could host at the Oval