Matt Hendricks' (Blaine) jersey retired on 2/19

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:48 pm

218er wrote:Neither player should even be mentioned along with Minnesota's greatest. It shows that the Blaine program is far from a dynasty to be retiring a below average NHL players number. Just think if Matt played for an Edina, Grand Rapids, or Rosoeu, etc... He'd be one of 20 alumni to play in the show. Matt isn't even one of the top MN players in the NHL. In fact, he's probably one of the worst.

Nothing against Matt... But the people of Blaine need a legitimate home town hero.
Hopefully Bjugstad develops and then he could be a hometown hero. I wouldnt say Blaine doesnt have good players coming out of there (last year's senior class graduated 3 D1 players in Bjugstad, Scheid, and Tony Larson) however, with the exception of Bjugstad the guys who move on just aren't big name guys at the next level. Congrats to Matt Hendricks, it was great watching you play for Blaine, and good luck the rest of your hockey career.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:29 pm

218er wrote:Neither player should even be mentioned along with Minnesota's greatest. It shows that the Blaine program is far from a dynasty to be retiring a below average NHL players number. Just think if Matt played for an Edina, Grand Rapids, or Rosoeu, etc... He'd be one of 20 alumni to play in the show. Matt isn't even one of the top MN players in the NHL. In fact, he's probably one of the worst.

Nothing against Matt... But the people of Blaine need a legitimate home town hero.
Blaine had three in the NHL last year
Two playing pro Hockey in other leagues
Bjugstad- one of the states highest draft picks ever
Three D-1 signees last year
20 some D-1 players since 1990
So not counting ancient history....... Blaine has been one of the best for players coming out the last 20 years.

Lets see your match for the last twenty years......... :roll:

218er

Post by 218er » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:14 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:

So not counting ancient history....... Blaine has been one of the best for players coming out the last 20 years.

Wow! Blaine is so cool... Maybe you should retire every number that played in the last 20 years. C mon.... let's be serious. Blaine has produced a FEW good players, but they are the farthest thing from a dynasty as any other program in the state.

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/de ... %20Records

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:29 pm

218er wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Wow! Blaine is so cool... Maybe you should retire every number that played in the last 20 years. C mon.... let's be serious. Blaine has produced a FEW good players, but they are the farthest thing from a dynasty as any other program in the state.

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/de ... %20Records

I guess your Grand Rapids could rally around Goligoski in recent times.... :lol:

I'll leave it at that

irwin fletcher

Post by irwin fletcher » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:52 am

the_juiceman wrote:
Little King wrote:
irwin fletcher wrote:Hendricks is a great player but Bochenski is a better person. Once, just after high school i met him at WalMart and he gave me five crisp, brand new twenty dollar bills. Just handed em to me. What a guy!
:lol: I think there is only a handful of people who get this....
are you a hooker? paying off a debt? Old HS chum?
Little King got the joke. You obviously didnt. Brandon had a lot of brand new twentys via a color copier at one point... :D

LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:19 am

irwin fletcher wrote:
the_juiceman wrote:
Little King wrote:
irwin fletcher wrote:Hendricks is a great player but Bochenski is a better person. Once, just after high school i met him at WalMart and he gave me five crisp, brand new twenty dollar bills. Just handed em to me. What a guy!
:lol: I think there is only a handful of people who get this....
are you a hooker? paying off a debt? Old HS chum?
Little King got the joke. You obviously didnt. Brandon had a lot of brand new twentys via a color copier at one point... :D
Hence why he went to UND instead of the U where he had intended!

BBB

Post by BBB » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:21 am

Matt isn't even one of the top MN players in the NHL. In fact, he's probably one of the worst.
Well his job for the caps is to fight and hit. He leads them in fights, PIMs, and is one of their leading hit guys. With that he is on pace to score 25-30 points and probably doesn't see much, if any, PP time with the forwards the Caps have. His point total would probably be higher on a different team.
At $575,000 this year he is a steal for them as he makes as much or less then a lot of their AHL players in Hershey. It sounds like they might sell a few Hendricks jerseys on top of that.
I know he a no Neal Broten or Aaron Ness but he is doing alright. I didn't know all those schools you listed produced 20 NHL alumni?

218er

Post by 218er » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:52 am

I agree with everything you mentioned about Matt... Maybe I got a little harsh. He is a great player and represents our State and Blaine well. With that being said, I still can't believe that Blaine retired his number. I think it’s completely uncalled for. Put a picture up of him (and all the other great players from Blaine), but retiring his number is setting him too far apart from other good Blaine alumni... But more importantly, it is setting him apart from all the other great players from the State of MN... AND THAT IS UNDESERVING, unless you are Neal Broten or Phil Housley. Just my opinion.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:04 pm

218er wrote:I agree with everything you mentioned about Matt... Maybe I got a little harsh. He is a great player and represents our State and Blaine well. With that being said, I still can't believe that Blaine retired his number. I think it’s completely uncalled for. Put a picture up of him (and all the other great players from Blaine), but retiring his number is setting him too far apart from other good Blaine alumni... But more importantly, it is setting him apart from all the other great players from the State of MN... AND THAT IS UNDESERVING, unless you are Neal Broten or Phil Housley. Just my opinion.
Could not agree more with your post.....

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:13 pm

BBB wrote:
Matt isn't even one of the top MN players in the NHL. In fact, he's probably one of the worst.
Well his job for the caps is to fight and hit. He leads them in fights, PIMs, and is one of their leading hit guys. With that he is on pace to score 25-30 points and probably doesn't see much, if any, PP time with the forwards the Caps have. His point total would probably be higher on a different team.
At $575,000 this year he is a steal for them as he makes as much or less then a lot of their AHL players in Hershey. It sounds like they might sell a few Hendricks jerseys on top of that.
I know he a no Neal Broten or Aaron Ness but he is doing alright. I didn't know all those schools you listed produced 20 NHL alumni?
I thought AHL players made $400 -$1,000 a week

Doug McKenzie

Post by Doug McKenzie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:46 pm

GP G A PTS PIM
Bochenski 156 28 40 68 54
Hendricks 119 16 19 35 176

Neither one of them are Neal Broten.

dwvandy

Post by dwvandy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:55 pm

If Bochenski gave you a pile of $20 dollar bills... keep them for a souvineer. He was tagged for counterfeiting as a kid... ha ha.
Both of these guys were great players. Hendricks...100% effort.... not many who were faster. Bochenski... great hands... remember his goal in the state final against Duluth East?... deked 3 guys out of their cups and made the goalie look non existent.
They never retired jerseys up in Eveleth, Grand Rapids, Hibbing, I Falls, Roseau and other storied arenas. Not sure why they want to open this can of worms in Blaine.