VIRGINIA/HIBBING, LET'S GET IT STARTED!

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins 7A?

Virginia
44%
Hibbing
56%

Total votes: 45

mitchrapp

Post by mitchrapp » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:48 am

wow - I did congratulate them - just didn't appreciate how their fans spoke in front of young children and grandparents after the fact - if virginia kids did that last year in front of the same audience I apologize - I'm done

mitchrapp

Post by mitchrapp » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:53 am

chubbs wrote:Hibbing weathered the early virginia storm and that was huge for them. And killed virginias momentum. All nice goals by Hibbing. Disappointing from virginias perspective because they have to feel like if they would've capitalized on their first and early second period chances they'd be going to st paul but credit tromp and hibbings d for keeping the puck out of the net. Virginia was dead in the third also so a comeback never seemed likely. Good luck Hibbing at state. No need for the extra curricular talk about post game stuff or student sections. No one on the board wants to hear it
Ok Chubbs - Good Post - just hard to walk out of the arena with young kids and that kind of talk - best of luck to the Jackets

EHSHack

Post by EHSHack » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:30 am

Hibbing is gonna get killed at State. Neither team looked very good. Maybe its because im used ot watching East's crisp tape to tape passes, but my god complete a pass once in awhile. It was watching someone play NHL 11', give it to someone and watch them lug the puck coast to coast and take a shot, then turn it over and repeat.
Go Hounds.

rangefan

Post by rangefan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:48 am

thank you EHShack for your unwanted and unintelligent post. Just because of you I hope that Rapids shows you how to play hard nosed iron range hockey.
Best of luck to the Jakcets at the X
and also best of luck to the Thunderhawks tomorow.
IRC is bringing home some hardware this year boys
The real March Madness is at the X

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:54 am

Nice job, Jackets! Virginia had plenty of shots, but Hibbing created a lot of quality scoring chances and capitalized on them. Hibbing's D did a great job of clearing out rebounds, and Tromp was solid. The way Hibbing has been playing, outscoring their playoff opponents 19-1, they might do some damage in St. Paul. They tied hermantown, so anything is possible. Virginia had a great season, hats off to them. Now go Jackets, make some noise at state!

oldtimehockey77

Post by oldtimehockey77 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:53 am

Wow!, very great game and rivalry to watch. It reminded me of the story of David and Goliath. A very small and rudy young team versus a very good, experienced and senior dominated team. To be outshot and win by a score of 5-0 amazes me. Like I said in a previous post a very good senior goalie with playoff experience is worth his weight in gold and Tromp showed it last night! I apologize to the Virginia fans for the way some of the Hibbing students acted, that was uncalled for. I hope the school does something about it. Good luck to Hibbing at State.

ShakestheClown

Post by ShakestheClown » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:08 am

Virginia looked pretty slow from the middle of the second period through the finish. Virginia has size and speed and they exhibited no desire to use either of those traits, which is why they lost the game last night.

oldtimehockey77 is exactly right. Hibbing was being tremendously outshot through the first period and a half, and won 5-0. Impressive performance by Tromp to say the least.

Hibbing's student section does need to "class it up." Throwing bottles and cups onto the ice, in addition to booing KIDS who happened to born in a geographical area only 20 miles away, is no way to celebrate. I can understand they were very excited, but they need to show a modicum of respect to a worthy opponent.

--eta--
fixed tense

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:04 am

pacman wrote:I give it until noon tomorrow and this thread will be locked...Any other takers?
At this rate that looks optimistic. :lol:

pacman

Post by pacman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:46 am

karl(east) wrote:
pacman wrote:I give it until noon tomorrow and this thread will be locked...Any other takers?
At this rate that looks optimistic. :lol:
I know right? why is it every Hibbing-Virginia thread attracts the goon squad? Holy mackerel, I understand the rivalry and all but come on people, even Packers and Vikings, or Yankees and Red Sox fans have a moderate level of respect for each other.

EHSHack

Post by EHSHack » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:46 am

rangefan wrote:thank you EHShack for your unwanted and unintelligent post. Just because of you I hope that Rapids shows you how to play hard nosed iron range hockey.
Cool story bro.
Go Hounds.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:59 am

rangefan wrote:thank you EHShack for your unwanted and unintelligent post. Just because of you I hope that Rapids shows you how to play hard nosed iron range hockey.
Sectional second place?

O wait, you meant going to State! Yeah... GR will get a toilet bowl...

Hibbing should be fine though... with consolation. :wink: I honestly don't know how Hibbing will do. Good Luck

8)
The Puck
LGW

range_hockeyfan_79

Post by range_hockeyfan_79 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 pm

rainier wrote:Nice job, Jackets! Virginia had plenty of shots, but Hibbing created a lot of quality scoring chances and capitalized on them. Hibbing's D did a great job of clearing out rebounds, and Tromp was solid. The way Hibbing has been playing, outscoring their playoff opponents 19-1, they might do some damage in St. Paul. They tied hermantown, so anything is possible. Virginia had a great season, hats off to them. Now go Jackets, make some noise at state!
Great game Bluejackets!! Very fun game to watch. Virginia had their chances but couldn't burry the puck. Tromp looked solid and was on his game. Rest of the Bluejackets did what they are supposed to do. Make some noise at state boys and bring home some hardware!! On another note nice season Virginia. You guys worked hard all season long. Hopefully get to watch Jackets vs Devils again in playoffs next year!!

Good luck Jackets at the state tourney!!!

goldenbear85

Post by goldenbear85 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:00 pm

chubbs wrote:Hibbing weathered the early virginia storm and that was huge for them. And killed virginias momentum. All nice goals by Hibbing. Disappointing from virginias perspective because they have to feel like if they would've capitalized on their first and early second period chances they'd be going to st paul but credit tromp and hibbings d for keeping the puck out of the net. Virginia was dead in the third also so a comeback never seemed likely. Good luck Hibbing at state. No need for the extra curricular talk about post game stuff or student sections. No one on the board wants to hear it
Hibbing played well and did what they needed to do to win. They had 6-7 quality scoring chances and made nice goals on 5 of them. Virginia had about 20 quality scoring chances, missed the net on half of them (many were wide open nets), hit Tromp in the chest on most of the rest, and Tromp came up big on a couple others. Best game I've seen Tromp play.