LOW vs. TRF 2/28/11

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

low66

LOW vs. TRF 2/28/11

Post by low66 »

Game is on Monday in Thief River Falls. can LOW upset the Prowlers on home ice?! im going with LOW with another 2-1 comeback win over the prowlers for a chance at the section title.
Goal

Post by Goal »

Don't think LOW has enough to pull the upset, they were lucky enough to pull that comeback out against RLF. I'll say Lyon will keep LOW close, but it will end TRF 3-0.
dueling21

Re: LOW vs. TRF 2/28/11

Post by dueling21 »

low66 wrote:Game is on Monday in Thief River Falls. can LOW upset the Prowlers on home ice?! im going with LOW with another 2-1 comeback win over the prowlers for a chance at the section title.
This one will be a spotlight game on the MN Hockey Hub...the page is being set up right now.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... _id=147576
wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 »

dueling21 wrote:
low66 wrote:Game is on Monday in Thief River Falls. can LOW upset the Prowlers on home ice?! im going with LOW with another 2-1 comeback win over the prowlers for a chance at the section title.
This one will be a spotlight game on the MN Hockey Hub...the page is being set up right now.

Of course it's a spotlight game its the only game Monday!!!
2012 pond hockey All Star
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

#3 LOW - 1
#2 TRF - 4

It will be a much different story in Thief River. Another classic TRF/Warroad final is on the horizon.
2001 & 2006 State Participant
dueling21

Post by dueling21 »

wblhcky24 wrote:
dueling21 wrote:

True, but someone has to be there, too.
wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 »

dueling21 wrote:
wblhcky24 wrote:
dueling21 wrote: This one will be a spotlight game on the MN Hockey Hub...the page is being set up right now.

True, but someone has to be there, too.
That's true it is kinda of a drive
2012 pond hockey All Star
dueling21

Post by dueling21 »

wblhcky24 wrote:
That's true it is kinda of a drive
It's a drive pretty much everywhere outside of Thief River Falls itself! :)
Throwback

Post by Throwback »

I find it kind of odd that Thief River will have this game on their home ice. Warroad played EGF in Thief River (neutral ice) then why would Thief River be given the home ice advantage in this game?
ogelthorpe

Post by ogelthorpe »

Throwback wrote:I find it kind of odd that Thief River will have this game on their home ice. Warroad played EGF in Thief River (neutral ice) then why would Thief River be given the home ice advantage in this game?
Section 8A rotates the section tournament between TRF, Warroad, and EGF every year.
paulsonj72

Post by paulsonj72 »

Throwback wrote:I find it kind of odd that Thief River will have this game on their home ice. Warroad played EGF in Thief River (neutral ice) then why would Thief River be given the home ice advantage in this game?
Section 8A alternates their tournament every 3 years between Warroad, East Grand Forks, and Thief River Falls. This year happens to be the year the tourney is played in Thief River. If TRF had been beaten in the quarters the game would be on neutral ice. They alternate the tourney between these three communities because they have the biggest seating capacities of rinks in the section.
Throwback

Post by Throwback »

Thanks for you for the explanation. I do, however, think that semi’s and finals should be on neutral ice with no home advantage.

For example in 7A Virginia played Marshall in Hibbing and Hibbing played Duluth Central in Grand Rapids. No home ice advantage and everyone must travel. Just my opinion.
ogelthorpe

Post by ogelthorpe »

Throwback wrote:Thanks for you for the explanation. I do, however, think that semi’s and finals should be on neutral ice with no home advantage.

For example in 7A Virginia played Marshall in Hibbing and Hibbing played Duluth Central in Grand Rapids. No home ice advantage and everyone must travel. Just my opinion.
I hear what you are saying, but it has been done this way in Section 8 for at least 25 years (thats as far back as I am certain). Prior to the new Gardens in Warroad, it was an every other year rotation between TRF and EGF. Even back in the one classs system they did this. There are not many arenas up that way that seat enough folks for the turn out these games get. so they just have set sites for the games.
no97

Post by no97 »

Heck, Crookston tried to get into the rotation and were told that their new (very nice, BTW) rink was too small.

Honestly, I was fortunate to be part of the 8A tourney for the 2 years Bemidji decided to not opt-up, and the first year of that, Bemidji played TRF IN Thief in the Quarterfinals. Really, I had no complaints, as they put on a fantastic tourney, from the fan experience to the teams to the media. Heck, I remember some of the kids getting "Section 8A Tourney" caps that year!
Pucklvr

Post by Pucklvr »

LOW strikes 1st

LOW - 1
TRF - 0

6:45 left in first period
Pucklvr

Post by Pucklvr »

LOW - 1
TRF- 1

Both shorthanded goals

2:15 left in the first period.
25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power »

1-1 with 8 to go in 2nd. sounds like its been all trf shots on goal something like 20-6
25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power »

2-1 trf after 2. trf scored with 5 seconds to go in the 2nd. sog 29-7
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

3-1 TRF. Pulling for LOW!
Go Hounds.
brandy38

Post by brandy38 »

So is Lyon essentially on his way to his USHL team immediately? Here's to TRF. I love Warroad in the tourney, but I'd like to see a change.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

ogelthorpe wrote:
Throwback wrote:Thanks for you for the explanation. I do, however, think that semi’s and finals should be on neutral ice with no home advantage.

I hear what you are saying, but it has been done this way in Section 8 for at least 25 years (thats as far back as I am certain). Prior to the new Gardens in Warroad, it was an every other year rotation between TRF and EGF. Even back in the one classs system they did this. There are not many arenas up that way that seat enough folks for the turn out these games get. so they just have set sites for the games.
I think it goes back to the early '70s, when the Huck was brand new, and centrally located. Used to have a pre-season jamboree and the the Region tournament. Two games on Friday, two on Saturday, semis on Monday and Tuesday, with the final on Friday. For the QFs a lot of people would make a weekend trip out of it, especially once TRF got the Best Western.
Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

I had TRF taking this one. But it kinda sucks that I won't be able to see Alex Lyon now - the goalie that everyone has been raving about.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Weekend_Warrior wrote:I had TRF taking this one. But it kinda sucks that I won't be able to see Alex Lyon now - the goalie that everyone has been raving about.
You'll get a chance to see him at the next level.
2001 & 2006 State Participant
Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

I dunno. Maybe. Just because you can play well at this level doesn't mean that you can do the same in college.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Weekend_Warrior wrote:I dunno. Maybe. Just because you can play well at this level doesn't mean that you can do the same in college.
From the looks of stats/scores, LOW has won games solely because of him. If he can win games for a team with little (relatively speaking) supporting cast at this level, he for sure will be able to with more talent around him.

Imagine his skills on any team ranked in the top 10 in either class...they would most likely have won a few more games at least.